Krug
Liles

all on the left.

K Miller
McQuaid
C. Miller

On the right

Morrow as the 7th d-man.

We really need an upgrade; and that likely also means someone else on our roster is going out.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I honestly never noticed he was as bad as the numbers say he was for us.
Our cheapest bottom pairing defenseman is 2.0 million. That I don't love.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly never noticed he was as bad as the numbers say he was for us.
Our cheapest bottom pairing defenseman is 2.0 million. That I don't love.

Here's the question on Liles.

Were his numbers bad because.

A) He needed time to adjust to the system.

B) He's a bad fit for the system

C) He's just not very good

D) A combination of B and C.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Chara
Krug
Liles

all on the left.

K Miller
McQuaid
C. Miller

On the right

Morrow as the 7th d-man.

We really need an upgrade; and that likely also means someone else on our roster is going out.

Add a N° 2 on the left side and trade one of KM or McQ and the "bridge year" will lead to playoffs and a chance while waiting for the yutes to develop.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I was pleasantly surprised by him. He is no solution by any means, but I don't hate this.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
If like to see everyone's stats the last 17 games. The whole team sucked

Don't bring logic into this. He was bad, you hear me....BAD.

Not a huge fan of Liles myself. But I thought he played well his first 4-5 games. The collapse was a team effort, and he struggled along with everyone. Not ideal, but he doesn't suck.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't bring logic into this. He was bad, you hear me....BAD.

Not a huge fan of Liles myself. But I thought he played well his first 4-5 games. The collapse was a team effort, and he struggled along with everyone. Not ideal, but he doesn't suck.

Logic? I used actual stats to support my argument. Did this days ago in the Sweeney thread.

You just disagree with me.

Although, even that guy didn't refute my point, just said everyone sucked.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am officially convinced.

Donald Clarke Sweeney's greatest ally for decision making is to consult a magic 8-ball.

There truly could be no other reason for his personnel moves.

As random and nonsensical as I have ever seen.

:biglaugh: Although I like the signings made today, I love the Magic 8 Ball! It rules, Canadiens Drools....:laugh:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
pretty much a no-risk move at 2M for only 1 year. but it does probably mean they aren't meeting the asking price for a D, at least not yet...and maybe not before season starts. sink or swim, colin miller? don't like the D at all right now.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
pretty much a no-risk move at 2M for only 1 year. but it does probably mean they aren't meeting the asking price for a D, at least not yet...and maybe not before season starts. sink or swim, colin miller? don't like the D at all right now.

I don't think anybody does but it is only July 1st . Let's see how it plays out .

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

I mean you can give Miller, McQuaid and Liles the equivalent of what a good D costs, and then NOT have Morrow/Chiller on the bottom pair. Why would you ever want to do it the other way? We just give every mediocre #6 2 or 2.5M and we just do our thing!

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Logic? I used actual stats to support my argument. Did this days ago in the Sweeney thread.

You just disagree with me.

Although, even that guy didn't refute my point, just said everyone sucked.

Sorry, I'm not singling you out. My main point was simply that watching him, he didn't look that bad to me, that's all. Especially in a relative sense to the other Bruins players down the stretch. You used +/- as a stat, and even if I don't agree that it's always the best metric, it does have value, so you have a point. Our two best D, Krug and Chara, were themselves only even/+1 in that time frame, so it stands to reason that a lower rung defenceman coming to a new team would struggle a bit in a tough situation. I'm not absolving his bad play, just putting it into perspective. Also, over the course of the whole season he was a -10. Not great, but if you talk to Carolina fans, most liked him and thought he was decent. He was a top 4 for them as well for certain stretches. Ideally, we only need him to be a #5-6 if no younger player steps up, for one year. Not that horrible.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I'd rather have Liles next year than Seidenberg. He's obviously not a top pairing, but he's not Matt Irwin either.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
"What should we do about the defense for this season, and long term?"
4cd54037eb5179d6a5af2f593efd3e0775f81dca3eda04b7a98a6c1b90956b58.jpg

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
When you look at the money spent on McQuaid and Liles = 4.75 million, we could have Shattenkirk and play the kids. Chara and Shatt, Krug and Kevan, play Colin, Morrow on the bottom. Have Cross as the extra. We find out what the young guys can do and then we have no problem signing them or releasing them. This needs to happen this year, we wasted last year finding it out. In 2017 Chara may be gone and Shatt takes over and the next wave of young dee gets a shot.

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT
When you look at the money spent on McQuaid and Liles = 4.75 million, we could have Shattenkirk and play the kids. Chara and Shatt, Krug and Kevan, play Colin, Morrow on the bottom. Have Cross as the extra. We find out what the young guys can do and then we have no problem signing them or releasing them. This needs to happen this year, we wasted last year finding it out. In 2017 Chara may be gone and Shatt takes over and the next wave of young dee gets a shot.

Chiller and Morrow would get abused as a pair. Kevin Shattenkirk is not a number one defenseman so I'm not sure what he would take over.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
No risk insurance move- has zero to do with fixing the defense or not. It's a one year deal and might not even be that long on the ice if the kids develop as they should and sweeny fixes the defense as he should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad