And nothing on Quinn Olson

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Saturday Night Wrap

Keyser 20 saves 6-2 loss

Pelosi 1 assist 2 shots +1 7-2 win

Hendrickson 1 assist 2 shots 6-2 win

Dyck didn't dress 6-3 loss

Walsh 3 shots +1 11 for 17 including some clutch wins late in the game, 3-1 victory and Cornell wins the ECAC and makes the round of 16
Very impressive Freshman year for Mr Walsh

Jellvik 1 shot
Gasseau 2 for 2 6-2 BC win and Hockey East Champions
Gallagher 1 shot, actually got some minutes
Rematch in a couple of weeks?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Saturday Night Wrap

Keyser 20 saves 6-2 loss

Pelosi 1 assist 2 shots +1 7-2 win

Hendrickson 1 assist 2 shots 6-2 win

Dyck didn't dress 6-3 loss

Walsh 3 shots +1 11 for 17 including some clutch wins late in the game, 3-1 victory and Cornell wins the ECAC and makes the round of 16

Jellvik 1 shot
Gasseau 2 for 2 6-2 BC win and Hockey East Champions
Gallagher 1 shot, actually got some minutes
Rematch in a couple of weeks?
Why did Gallagher finally get minutes? Was there; an injury, Game situation or a reward for improved play?

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
Congrats!

Attachments

• IMG_6853.jpeg
    IMG_6853.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 4

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Watched Walsh for the first time last night. Overall I liked what I saw. He got a good amount of ice time considering he is a freshman in a conference championship game. As you noted, he took a lot of big faceoffs and won most of them. I also liked his work as the bumper on the PP. Seems like he flew under the radar this season but worth keeping a closer eye on.

Reactions: Raleighfern

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
good for Duran, he had stagnated at Providence, so time for him to turn pro, and go to Providence.
For some reason he gives me Curtis Hall vibes. Both played for Youngstown in the USHL. Both played for USA at the WJC. Both have decent size and skating. Both are versatile forwards known more for their two way game. Hall was more productive in college (though in an easier conference). Hopefully Duran has more success in the AHL than Curtis did but it seems like a safe bet that Riley isn't going to be a big point producer so he'll have to impact the game in other ways to make his mark (which Hall never seemed to do). I hope I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of similarities.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
For some reason he gives me Curtis Hall vibes. Both played for Youngstown in the USHL. Both played for USA at the WJC. Both have decent size and skating. Both are versatile forwards known more for their two way game. Hall was more productive in college (though in an easier conference). Hopefully Duran has more success in the AHL than Curtis did but it seems like a safe bet that Riley isn't going to be a big point producer so he'll have to impact the game in other ways to make his mark (which Hall never seemed to do). I hope I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of similarities.
Interesting take and probably a prudent way of thinking, given where Duran was taken in the draft and how he has produced in USHL and NCAA. In my viewings, Duran is the better, more agile skater and seems to be a more aggressive shooter. Possibly a higher IQ. I recall Hall., while having good north south speed, lacked foot-speed and and agility.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Might be a crazy take but I like him over Colin Graf.

Don't get me wrong I would be happy with either but I think there is something about Quillan's game that adapts better to the NHL level, especially his way to get greasy goals and getting to those difficult areas of the ice. I think he has a better path fitting in a bottom six role, where I think Graf needs a top six spot but I could be totally wrong

I usually am :laugh:
Dom said something similar in the college FA thread I believe.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Valiant effort from UMass to take Denver to double OT but, alas, they could not prevail. Thus ends Locmelis' freshman season. I probably saw 5-7 of his games this year and overall, I found myself left wanting more. Maybe my expectations were too high after last year's WJC and WC (where he more than held his own against professionals) but IMO he rarely jumped off the screen when watching him at UMass. I felt like he was often too easy to defend (frequently had shots & passes blocked, didn't handle closing defenders well, & flubbed chances (today's shot in 2OT at the top of the crease a good example)). With that said, a) this was his first year in North America which is rarely easy for anyone let alone a teenager, b) it was no secret he needs to get stronger and that's not going to happen overnight, & c) he played in one of toughest conferences in the country. The fact that he got regular PP & PK time as a freshman tells you what the coach thinks of him. And it's not like his stats (7g, 7a in 30 games) were bad. In fact, his freshman stats are on par with a similar prospect in Oskar Jellvik. I wouldn't be surpsied by Locmelis having a similar leap his sophomore year as Jellvik did (though UMass doesn't have nearly same level of skill surrounding Dans as Oskar had at BC).

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Valiant effort from UMass to take Denver to double OT but, alas, they could not prevail. Thus ends Locmelis' freshman season. I probably saw 5-7 of his games this year and overall, I found myself left wanting more. Maybe my expectations were too high after last year's WJC and WC (where he more than held his own against professionals) but IMO he rarely jumped off the screen when watching him at UMass. I felt like he was often too easy to defend (frequently had shots & passes blocked, didn't handle closing defenders well, & flubbed chances (today's shot in 2OT at the top of the crease a good example)). With that said, a) this was his first year in North America which is rarely easy for anyone let alone a teenager, b) it was no secret he needs to get stronger and that's not going to happen overnight, & c) he played in one of toughest conferences in the country. The fact that he got regular PP & PK time as a freshman tells you what the coach thinks of him. And it's not like his stats (7g, 7a in 30 games) were bad. In fact, his freshman stats are on par with a similar prospect in Oskar Jellvik. I wouldn't be surpsied by Locmelis having a similar leap his sophomore year as Jellvik did (though UMass doesn't have nearly same level of skill surrounding Dans as Oskar had at BC).

Locmelis started the season late in a new country while playing on an offensively limited team in an extremely tough conference. Those are some tough challenges and he got through it all just fine. The kid has the intelligence, skill and compete level to take a big step in year two. And unlike Jellvik, who has never needed to be "the guy", Locmelis should be a top player at UMass soon enough. That kid Suniev is gifted as well.

I really like Locmelis' overall game. He just needs time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad