Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank you for beta testing the review, much appreciated! Will edit it ASAP.
I’m taking my time reading thru and big time enjoying it.

I was underwhelmed by the Duran pick but he caught my attention at DC. The Bruins had only 4 picks last summer and no first but all 4 were taken out of US hockey programs and all look intriguing
Lohrei
Kuntar
Langenbrunner
Duran

Reactions: Kegs

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

I probably don’t write enough as I should, but that’s going to change very shortly. First piece published to Bruins Network 2.0! Enjoy the 8,000-word journey and go easy, I’m delicate.

One interesting point kind of hovering beneath the surface is you've got Harrison and Hall consecutive and you rightly point out that Harrison hasn't played much hockey lately. But Hall was screwed pretty well with the Ivy schools cancelling their season, then getting injured in Providence. If you go just by count, Hall's played fewer games over the past two years than Harrison.

Of course, this isn't really a competition for playing the least amount of hockey and those kinds of layoffs are probably going to hurt them in some fashion. Still, interesting similarity with two guys separated by three years/drafts.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
One interesting point kind of hovering beneath the surface is you've got Harrison and Hall consecutive and you rightly point out that Harrison hasn't played much hockey lately. But Hall was screwed pretty well with the Ivy schools cancelling their season, then getting injured in Providence. If you go just by count, Hall's played fewer games over the past two years than Harrison.

Of course, this isn't really a competition for playing the least amount of hockey and those kinds of layoffs are probably going to hurt them in some fashion. Still, interesting similarity with two guys separated by three years/drafts.

Yup and I think being injured probably hurt Hall more than the lack of gaming hurt Harrison, especially since the former relies on his physical traits to get the job done. Still, it's definitely an interesting case study with Hall suffering from a lack of quality stretches of hockey as well.

Oh well, it worked out in Boston's favor somehow. There were various blogs and amateur draft analysts who were saying they wouldn't be surprised to see Harrison taken as a late first-round pick even with the lack of ice time. Judging by his ability to fill the net in dev camp and with his size, he definitely would have gone much, much higher had he played.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.

I probably don’t write enough as I should, but that’s going to change very shortly. First piece published to Bruins Network 2.0! Enjoy the 8,000-word journey and go easy, I’m delicate.

Thank you so much for your great work, living on the west coast its posters like you who I depend on for my prospect info.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
NHL Pipeline Rankings: No. 29 Boston Bruins boosted by Fabian Lysell's dynamic offense

Some 'love' from Pronman with a bump up to 29.......although he refers to Swayman as a quality backup who can start in a pinch.....

The Bruins system is not overly deep, but there are players you can see helping the team. Fabian Lysell is a dynamic offensive player, Jack Studnicka has shown well as a pro, John Beecher you can easily see being a bull in a bottom-six and Jeremy Swayman had an excellent season. This pipeline lacks top echelon prospects, which is understandable given the Bruins’ draft slots in recent years, but there are certainly some NHL players on the way.

1. Lysell -
On his best shift, Lysell is using his skill and speed to get around players and take pucks to the net, or making tremendous plays with pace to his teammates. His physical effort comes and goes off the puck, but with the puck he plays with courage. Lysell projects as a second-line winger who has the talent to dominate an NHL shift but may frustrate observers too.

2. Studnicka - lacks separation speed, potential middle six, works hard, wins battles

3. Beecher -
When on the ice, he’s a lot for opponents to handle. He’s a 6-foot-3 forward who is built like a truck and skates at a very high level for his size. Beecher will be able to get by NHL defensemen and get to the net to create offense.

4. Lauko - fun to watch, plays like he's on fire, bottom six to middle six

5. Swayman

6. Urho - strong skater, powerful stride, breaks up rushes, poor puck skills, third pair, penalty killer type

7. Harrison - 4th liner

Under 'Has a chance':
Lohrei -
His puck game is great, showing individual skill and playmaking that will be dangerous at higher levels with his big frame. His skating, though, is a long way from NHL quality, and that is my main hesitation from projecting him to the league.
Hall
Lyle
Berglund
Gallagher

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
NHL Pipeline Rankings: No. 29 Boston Bruins boosted by Fabian Lysell's dynamic offense

Some 'love' from Pronman with a bump up to 29.......although he refers to Swayman as a quality backup who can start in a pinch.....

1. Lysell -

2. Studnicka - lacks separation speed, potential middle six, works hard, wins battles

3. Beecher -

5. Swayman

6. Urho - strong skater, powerful stride, breaks up rushes, poor puck skills, third pair, penalty killer type

7. Harrison - 4th liner

Under 'Has a chance':
Lohrei -
Hall
Lyle
Berglund
Gallagher

Just goes to show that Pronman continues to suck :laugh:

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I don't understand how anyone could watch Lysell all year and come away thinking his puck skills are NHL average. It's just factually incorrect, unless he has a really bizarre definition of puck skills or average. I went through and watched every shift he took in the U18s and WJSS and his touches and handling at high speed look better to me than anyone in the Bruins system outside of Marchand, Pastrnak and Hall. Even Wheeler recently called his skill-skating combo "special". His game has some holes but he has a very rare ability with the puck. Average to me is more like Craig Smith.

I just don't believe it's possible for one person to accurately evaluate every prospect throughout the league, even when talking to scouts. It's just too wide of a scope. I'd much rather hear from regional scouts than any sort of "guru".

Also if you look at last year's ranking, he had both McAvoy and Studnicka rated 50 for physical game - tells you how closely he follows these guys.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

1. Lysell -

3. Beecher -

5. Swayman

7. Harrison - 4th liner

Under 'Has a chance':
Lohrei -
Hall
Lyle
Berglund
Gallagher
Lysell's effort "comes and goes off the puck"? The Scouching guy goes through entire games with every shift, pointing out Lysell's unflagging dogging of the opponent's puck carriers, but I guess we should take Corey's word for it.

And Studnicka lacks separating speed? At least we now know Pronman watched his games in 2017. Speed is probably the one thing you can point to with Studnicka and say he's got that covered unequivocally. Seriously, if he just watched a couple Bruins games from the first half of last season, he'd have at least a handful of things Studnicka needs to improve on to be an NHL player. But speed?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't understand how anyone could watch Lysell all year and come away thinking his puck skills are NHL average. It's just factually incorrect, unless he has a really bizarre definition of puck skills or average. I went through and watched every shift he took in the U18s and WJSS and his touches and handling at high speed look better to me than anyone in the Bruins system outside of Marchand, Pastrnak and Hall. Even Wheeler recently called his skill-skating combo "special". His game has some holes but he has a very rare ability with the puck. Average to me is more like Craig Smith.

I just don't believe it's possible for one person to accurately evaluate every prospect throughout the league, even when talking to scouts. It's just too wide of a scope. I'd much rather hear from regional scouts than any sort of "guru".

Also if you look at last year's ranking, he had both McAvoy and Studnicka rated 50 for physical game - tells you how closely he follows these guys.
You answered your question with the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th words of your first sentence.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lysell's effort "comes and goes off the puck"? The Scouching guy goes through entire games with every shift, pointing out Lysell's unflagging dogging of the opponent's puck carriers, but I guess we should take Corey's word for it.

And Studnicka lacks separating speed? At least we now know Pronman watched his games in 2017. Speed is probably the one thing you can point to with Studnicka and say he's got that covered unequivocally. Seriously, if he just watched a couple Bruins games from the first half of last season, he'd have at least a handful of things Studnicka needs to improve on to be an NHL player. But speed?

Can't stand Pronman however I agree with the speed comment RE Studnicka. It was something I noticed watching him live a few times now. He's better than average but not slow.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The Ohio native was a USHL tender with the Youngstown Phantoms, marking him as an early bloomer as one of the top 2000 birth-year players who wasn’t selected for the U.S. National Team Development Program. Although Hall never had a chance to put up big points in juniors, he did earn a draft call from the Bruins because of his size and potential to be an effective two-way center.

“He’s going to need to be a direct player, he’s going to need to continue to work on his mobility; his side-to-side movement. In a straight line, his downhill speed is very good but his mobility will need to continue to improve. And, learning to be a pro. How to manage pucks on the wall or in the middle. He has some habits that will continue to need to be worked on.”

Hall was put in a tough situation that was out of his hands. He likely would have put up big points had he returned to Youngstown, but as the league’s last-place team, playing at a lower level wasn’t going to bring him much closer to being an effective pro. Going to the AHL was the right call, and he should take steps forward in his second year. Don’t look for a lot of production, but instead focus on his role and how new head coach Ryan Mougenel employs him on the Providence roster. Hall’s versatility should earn him time on the penalty kill, and he has enough size and skill to play up in the lineup if needed and even see a PP role, though that won’t likely come right away.

Bruins prospects: Curtis Hall could surprise in second AHL season (hockeyjournal.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad