Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The Ohio native was a USHL tender with the Youngstown Phantoms, marking him as an early bloomer as one of the top 2000 birth-year players who wasn’t selected for the U.S. National Team Development Program. Although Hall never had a chance to put up big points in juniors, he did earn a draft call from the Bruins because of his size and potential to be an effective two-way center.

“He’s going to need to be a direct player, he’s going to need to continue to work on his mobility; his side-to-side movement. In a straight line, his downhill speed is very good but his mobility will need to continue to improve. And, learning to be a pro. How to manage pucks on the wall or in the middle. He has some habits that will continue to need to be worked on.”

Hall was put in a tough situation that was out of his hands. He likely would have put up big points had he returned to Youngstown, but as the league’s last-place team, playing at a lower level wasn’t going to bring him much closer to being an effective pro. Going to the AHL was the right call, and he should take steps forward in his second year. Don’t look for a lot of production, but instead focus on his role and how new head coach Ryan Mougenel employs him on the Providence roster. Hall’s versatility should earn him time on the penalty kill, and he has enough size and skill to play up in the lineup if needed and even see a PP role, though that won’t likely come right away.

Bruins prospects: Curtis Hall could surprise in second AHL season (hockeyjournal.com)
thx Dom, really intrigued with this kid and Beecher, love both of their sizes, sounds like both have very good wheels, be interesting to see what kind of year the kid has in Providence, hope he stays healthy for the development to not get sidetracked.

You figure Beecher is done after this year in the NCAA?

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I e
Studnicka lacks separation yet led the AHL in short-handed goals and short-handed attempts less than two drafts ago…
My seats are section 109 5th row on blue line for Providence I keyed on Studnicka all the time and I saw plenty of separation lol

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't stand Pronman however I agree with the speed comment RE Studnicka. It was something I noticed watching him live a few times now. He's better than average but not slow.
Do me a favor and come say hello next time you are at a Providence game I’m at - if Studnicka there you can explain to me how he’s slow

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like reading Pronman and I’m not sure where the Leafs are rated but they overall blow / their first pick Knies has Joel Colborne written all over him IF that

Bruins behind Islanders is a wtf moment until I realized he had Dobson & Whalstrom in who I like both lots

Pronman calling Swayman a backup is interesting. I watch Hockey East more than average and he’s about as an impressive goaltender going back to Chris Tererri

I’ll be curious what he says of Keith Primeau kid or is he worried what he says

Bruins can be 29, 9, or 19 they got interesting players coming along even if Kuntar & Lohrei get no or little love

Reactions: Friar85

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
thx Dom, really intrigued with this kid and Beecher, love both of their sizes, sounds like both have very good wheels, be interesting to see what kind of year the kid has in Providence, hope he stays healthy for the development to not get sidetracked.

You figure Beecher is done after this year in the NCAA?

My guess is that he signs an AHL deal once his season is over then an NHL deal next offseason.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I like reading Pronman and I’m not sure where the Leafs are rated but they overall blow / their first pick Knies has Joel Colborne written all over him IF that

Bruins behind Islanders is a wtf moment until I realized he had Dobson & Whalstrom in who I like both lots

Pronman calling Swayman a backup is interesting. I watch Hockey East more than average and he’s about as an impressive goaltender going back to Chris Tererri

Bruins can be 29, 9, or 19 they got interesting players coming along even if Kuntar & Lohrei get no or little love

You take these things to personally sometimes Dan - that's why I love you.

I get to 100 OHL games a year and watch countless others on video and I still find it difficult to watch all the prospects enough times.

I don't know how anyone has the time to watch hundreds of prospects from around the world. But I give them credit when they do it.

Honestly, I take all these rankings with a grain of salt - because anyone - not even one with Batman and Superman's DNA combined, can possible watch them all enough times to form a true opinion.

Reactions: chizzler

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good on Bruins fans who subscribe to the Athletic questioning Pronman

I just read it and to be fair he’s got to do 32 teams but he not surprisingly cant watch all those games and doesn’t have a grasp on any of the Bruins players other then maybe Lysell or Harrison. I haven’t seen them play even a full game and my live viewing was 4 days of DC on Harrison,

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You take these things to personally sometimes Dan - that's why I love you.

I get to 100 OHL games a year and watch countless others on video and I still find it difficult to watch all the prospects enough times.

I don't know how anyone has the time to watch hundreds of prospects from around the world. But I give them credit when they do it.

Honestly, I take all these rankings with a grain of salt - because anyone - not even one with Batman and Superman's DNA combined, can possible watch them all enough times to form a true opinion.
Ha ha

I like Pronman in a twisted way and subscribe to read guys like him and Wheeler

What happens is he writes this it gets posted here and you end up with John, Paul, George, and Ringo showing up to say ‘see i told you ….2015 blah blah blah)

if he is putting Leafs in top half I hope he gives my guy Timothy Liljegren some love and Sheldon Keefe gives him a full time gig at least third pair

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Do me a favor and come say hello next time you are at a Providence game I’m at - if Studnicka there you can explain to me how he’s slow

DK I didn't say he was slow I said he wasn't fast...perhaps we meet in Toronto however I'm thinking he's playing for Boston to start the year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'll save you the $2.99 per month and give you my list for free
1. Swayman
2. Lorhei
3. Lysell
4. Studnicka
5. Lauko
6. Beecher
7. Kuntar
8. Lyle
9. Hall
10. Langenbrunner

Now off to Men's Wearhouse for a new power suit!

Not a bad list. For me, it is missing THE GUY at the top that you don’t get unless you really suck… And he’s only there for a season or two and then graduates.

Some names here that I could see moving up for next season

Lysell = Obvious with his skill upside

Lauko = Productive AHL season last year and should see an expanded role

Kuntar = decent freshman year and should see an expanded role for BC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Talk of Pronman's list makes me wonder if Fluto's ever done one for The Athletic, or Joey Mac before him. I can't remember ever seeing one from them.

I know other Athletic team beat writers do them and they're pretty good. There's more detail and you often get the team perspective on guys versus just getting the handful of sentences a national guy like Pronman can put together.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
1. Swayman
2. Lorhei
3. Lysell
4. Studnicka
5. Lauko
6. Beecher
7. Kuntar
8. Lyle
9. Hall
10. Langenbrunner

Im glad Eric thinks Swayman has enough to one day be a solid backup, like Pronman does.

And Eric would I assume project Lohrei to play in the NHL some day, unlike Pronman. Too funny.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

Fantastic, a Chris Terreri reference. That 84-85 season he had may have been the best goaltending I have ever seen. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone compete so hard to keep the puck out of the net. If he was three inches taller, he'd have been a hall of famer.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fantastic, a Chris Terreri reference. That 84-85 season he had may have been the best goaltending I have ever seen. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone compete so hard to keep the puck out of the net. If he was three inches taller, he'd have been a hall of famer.
Yup he was amazing

He and Swayman my two all time favorite college goalies

Reactions: Friar85

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love the athletic and I’m a Pronman fan now lol but I’m not buying Swayman & Studnicka

Bruins should be behind Islanders if they are counting Dobson & Whalstrom but definitely below them otherwise

Also Bruins are much deeper than Capitals but they got a couple of potential stud forwards in McMichael & Hendrix Lapierre and added a couple of intriguing D in Vinny Iorio & Brent Johnson in second round

Bruins hit on Lysell & Swayman they eliminated any issues at RW (pastrnak & Lysell) and NhL goalie

that’s huge even getting only those 2 positions covered for several years

the list is interesting because guys like Robert Thomas 22 and Joel Farabee are on this

His age requirements get regular NHL guys on list that I didn’t consider prospects any more

McAvoy 23 just missed cut lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
1. Swayman
2. Lorhei
3. Lysell
4. Studnicka
5. Lauko
6. Beecher
7. Kuntar
8. Lyle
9. Hall
10. Langenbrunner

I love this thread and some of the insight you guys bring. Its fantastic.

That said, why is Brady Lyle so low on the list? The kid had a fantastic first year vs expectations and I think he's got a ton of upside. What am I missing?

Reactions: HustleB

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I love this thread and some of the insight you guys bring. Its fantastic.

That said, why is Brady Lyle so low on the list? The kid had a fantastic first year vs expectations and I think he's got a ton of upside. What am I missing?
I’ll second this… however I suspect Eric feels similar, but likes the roster pool around him more. We’ll see what he says.

Lyle is a guy I’m super-intrigued by. He just looks like precisely what the doctor ordered in Boston and his trajectory is all up.

I’m trying to temper my excitement for him.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So we have differing opinions....like I said he isn't slow he isn't fast he's in the middle.
Results – AHL All-Star Skills Competition
The Western Conference won the AHL All-Star Skills Competition by a score of 18-15.
Formenton time was the third fastest in AHL history, so I'd say Studnicka is fast, very fast, despite your opinion. ;)
Fastest Skater:
1. Alex Formenton (Belleville Senators/London Knights) – 13.356 seconds
2. Joey Keane (Hartford Wolf Pack/London Knights) – 13.453 seconds
3. Jack Studnicka (Providence Bruins/Niagara IceDogs) – 13.804 seconds

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Results – AHL All-Star Skills Competition
The Western Conference won the AHL All-Star Skills Competition by a score of 18-15.
Formenton time was the third fastest in AHL history, so I'd say Studnicka is fast, very fast, despite your opinion. ;)
Fastest Skater:

1. Alex Formenton (Belleville Senators/London Knights) – 13.356 seconds
2. Joey Keane (Hartford Wolf Pack/London Knights) – 13.453 seconds
3. Jack Studnicka (Providence Bruins/Niagara IceDogs) – 13.804 seconds

further confirming that Pronman has both A- never watched Studs play and 2- Needed to google him to spell his last name correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad