Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XII- Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

This kid is a player, btw.

He should be dominating every game and raking up the points as he is 19 YO will be 20 in Jan 2021.
One play I did not like was in the last few minutes of the game when he tried to stick handle in the offensive zone at the blue line past a defender, that is a huge NO NO.
Turn the puck over and it would have caused a breakaway.
He looks very green, hopefully he gets some good training and development this year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I know some are disappointed about our USHL reaches. I just wanted to point out that I greatly prefer that drama to this drama. Draft good human beings.

Arizona Coyotes top draft pick bullied Black disabled kid 4 years ago

Just to go a little further. I do think people can grow and become better humans. However if your asking me to assess risk. I much prefer to take on the risk of the talented raw kid that has not played high level talent over the supremely talented kid with severe character concerns.

This doesn't magically make our pick fantastic. Just that things could be worse in my mind.
What an absolute piece of trash. Hope the NHL steps in and does something. If not I hope he gets to play against Ryan Reaves in a preseason game

Reactions: CDJ and HustleB

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What an absolute piece of trash. Hope the NHL steps in and does something. If not I hope he gets to play against Ryan Reaves in a preseason game

What should they do? Ban him from playing because of something he did when he was 14? Yep, it was pretty bad, and he ended up getting a record because of it. If this happened in the past year I could see an issue, but he was a stupid kid- can you even separate those two words? But cancel him! Cancel him now!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What should they do? Ban him from playing because of something he did when he was 14? Yep, it was pretty bad, and he ended up getting a record because of it. If this happened in the past year I could see an issue, but he was a stupid kid- can you even separate those two words? But cancel him! Cancel him now!
Didn't say cancel or ban so I guess Reaves is the best answer

Reactions: CDJ

BruinsNetwork

He should be dominating every game and raking up the points as he is 19 YO will be 20 in Jan 2021.
One play I did not like was in the last few minutes of the game when he tried to stick handle in the offensive zone at the blue line past a defender, that is a huge NO NO.
Turn the puck over and it would have caused a breakaway.
He looks very green, hopefully he gets some good training and development this year.

He’s only a second-year player in the USHL though coming out of prep school at Culver Academy, though. It’s not like he’s been playing at this level for three years since he was 16. He’s an over-aged defenseman who was converted from a forward a few years back.

I don’t use any of that against him for evaluating his talent, skill and potential. The style in which he plays the game is fit for college and above, so to see him have a strong foundation with almost all areas of the game at 19 is still encouraging.

There’s never any negative connotations when we talk of Jack Studnicka dominating the CHL at age 19, though.

If you have a player like Lohrei who can pull off high-risk plays, or at least has the talent, confidence to attempt to pull them off in the heat of a game, I say send it. He’s going to make mistakes, absolutely. But he’s also going to reward you quite often too— especially the more he develops and picks his spot. He’s off by inches on these plays, not miles.

He’s on the NCAA path anyways, so the USHL is just development stage for him before going down his main path.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

You did say the NHL should do something, so what is it they should do? As for Reaves, what exactly would that accomplish? It won't unhurt the kid that got bullied, it won't change a damn thing in fact. But it would diminish Ryan Reaves for punching a guy who did something stupid when he was 14 out of some weird sense of "justice." The fact that this story is now public knowledge (watch the twitter cesspit fire off on him and the death threats and everything else from all the glass-housed stonethrowers out there) means the kid is going to suffer. Maybe he should, maybe he shouldn't, but him getting an ass kicking at a hockey game isn't going to do anything good for anyone.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I agree that there is no way to mandate this through the league.

I would probably send my rat rather then my goon but there would be a very low threshold on him as a player before he meets my goon.

So I hear you both and agree with you but really this was more about the type of risk I want to take on. Patriots go with character and risk missing some elite talents for it. The Bruins seem to have a similar draft philosophy albeit with a limited track record. Time will tell; I don’t think the debate will be closed for years to come.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s only a second-year player in the USHL though coming out of prep school at Culver Academy, though. It’s not like he’s been playing at this level for three years since he was 16. He’s an over-aged defenseman who was converted from a forward a few years back.

I don’t use any of that against him for evaluating his talent, skill and potential. The style in which he plays the game is fit for college and above, so to see him have a strong foundation with almost all areas of the game at 19 is still encouraging.

There’s never any negative connotations when we talk of Jack Studnicka dominating the CHL at age 19, though.

If you have a player like Lohrei who can pull off high-risk plays, or at least has the talent, confidence to attempt to pull them off in the heat of a game, I say send it. He’s going to make mistakes, absolutely. But he’s also going to reward you quite often too— especially the more he develops and picks his spot. He’s off by inches on these plays, not miles.

He’s on the NCAA path anyways, so the USHL is just development stage for him before going down his main path.

Yeah the whole overager thing is overdone here- some guys like this just develop a little more slowly. Many people seem to have this cookie cutter idea about what a player should be or do at a certain age and it doesn't do a lot of these kids any justice.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

I have nothing against our draft pick. The point I am making is that if you take two players, relatively same skill set / same age and one is playing in the USHL and the other in the NCAA, I would expect the player playing at the lower level to dominate vs the NCAA one.

A better comparision might be the Pats first pick this year, Kyle Dugger. He completely dominated in NCAA division 2, he got noticed and drafted even though he was playing a low level.

Stud made the NHL as a 21 YO.
I would be doing cartwheels if Lohrei is playing in the AHL as a top pair dee in 2-3 years.
I do agree that scouts and GM's should not overlook a players age at a certain level and hold that against them.
Look at Nick Kypreos, he dominated his last year of junior as an overager, scored 49 goals in 46 games and was not drafted / had a great NHL career!
Will check back with you in a few years.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Being a year behind on that path is a pretty big flag.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Sorry, but I hate the "He was only 14. What stupid things did you do when you were 14?" argument.

Let's call a spade a spade. He basically committed a hate crime. Who here was committing hate crimes when they were 14? I certainly wasn't. This wasn't just standard bullying. You don't get convicted of assault for that.

The bigger problem is that he has supposedly shown few signs of remorse. It seems like he only started to care when it affected his draft stock.

Here's one NHL Draft writer's thoughts:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I know some are disappointed about our USHL reaches. I just wanted to point out that I greatly prefer that drama to this drama. Draft good human beings.

Arizona Coyotes top draft pick bullied Black disabled kid 4 years ago

Just to go a little further. I do think people can grow and become better humans. However if your asking me to assess risk. I much prefer to take on the risk of the talented raw kid that has not played high level talent over the supremely talented kid with severe character concerns.

This doesn't magically make our pick fantastic. Just that things could be worse in my mind.
Lol...I’d rather we pick the best hockey player. Better to have the best player and lose/get rid of him because he didn’t grow up and learn how to socialize than pick a guy that might not be a contributor.

Christ sakes...if you punished every kid that bullied somebody, nobody would be skating. If he doesn’t have an arrest record, and he passes the interview test, draft him.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Lol...I’d rather we pick the best hockey player. Better to have the best player and lose/get rid of him because he didn’t grow up and learn how to socialize than pick a guy that might not be a contributor.

Christ sakes...if you punished every kid that bullied somebody, nobody would be skating. If he doesn’t have an arrest record, and he passes the interview test, draft him.

Right that is the premise I disagree with. You assess risk. All types those are weighted against potential benefits. If there is a 10% chance a guy doesn’t make it due to his character why would you ignore that. People change and grow. The more growth that is needed the longer it will take and the riskier it will be. Physical or mental assess and evaluate.

member 96824

Bullied a mentally handicapped black kid by making eat candy that was in a urinal, beating him up, constantly called him the n-word among other words, showed no remorse in the court room per the judges words, taunted the family after and has yet to apologize outside of a court ordered letter.

But he’s good at hockey so he passes Jim’s test. Just kids being kids am I right?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bullied a mentally handicapped black kid by making eat candy that was in a urinal, beating him up, constantly called him the n-word among other words, showed no remorse in the court room per the judges words, taunted the family after and has yet to apologize outside of a court ordered letter.

But he’s good at hockey so he passes Jim’s test. Just kids being kids am I right?
I hope everyone in the league takes runs at him

member 96824

I hope everyone in the league takes runs at him

We’ll see if he makes it. This story was well known before today and contributed to his drop..most scouts said his family and him were both not forthcoming about the incident and not interviewing well, but even then while decent..it’s not like he was a top 15 talent or anything like that.

Either way, happy he’s not a Bruin.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Normally I agree. But this kids the worst. How could you be okay with this kid on the the bruins. He isn’t Gretzky. He brutally tortured a kid with disabilities.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You did say the NHL should do something, so what is it they should do? As for Reaves, what exactly would that accomplish? It won't unhurt the kid that got bullied, it won't change a damn thing in fact. But it would diminish Ryan Reaves for punching a guy who did something stupid when he was 14 out of some weird sense of "justice." The fact that this story is now public knowledge (watch the twitter cesspit fire off on him and the death threats and everything else from all the glass-housed stonethrowers out there) means the kid is going to suffer. Maybe he should, maybe he shouldn't, but him getting an ass kicking at a hockey game isn't going to do anything good for anyone.
We'll disagree here. I will give you the NHL shouldn't step in but I have no issue if a punk who chooses to humiliate a disabled kid without an ounce of regret and has learned nothing gets beaten every shift he ever takes and literally run out of hockey.

I made some pretty spectacularly poor decisions at 14 (really about up to 30) but at no time did it enter my mind " hey let's go humiliate that disabled kid and commit a hate crime as a bonus"
That level of assholery doesn't wash off so whatever happens to racist Biff I'm good with, that includes Ryan Reaves., Ross Johnston or Danton Heinen kicking his ass every game until he quits

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I really think "bullied" is the wrong term for this behavior. At a minimum, what was described is felony assault that lands adults in prison (on camera smashing the kid's head into a brick wall). To do this to a disabled kid is sadism. That is a personality trait people don't often grow out of. I would never bring this person to my organization.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

Is it just the fact that the kid has the talent to potentially make millions that you don’t like?

Should he go to college and be an accountant for $80k, or should every university pass him by too. Is it okay if he works at a gas station, or should the guy jump head first off a bridge and just end it now instead of burdening society because nobody wants to give him a job? If we allow the black kid to kick him in the nuts, can he then play, or does he need to cry publicly for our entertainment?

I’m being an ass to illustrate that you can’t just have a start to a punishment, you have to have an end too. What is enough? What precedent do you want to set...and I hope it isn’t too harsh or else a bunch of fine people from my past will likely soon gather outside my door with tar and feathers.

I’d say in most cases the punishment starts and stops at the point of said person’s life in which it occurs. Act like a bully at school, get suspended/expelled. Move on. Act like a bully at work, get fired. Move on.

Ironically, the same people that discount a kid for bullying are often the ones that support criminal reform and laws that mandate employers can’t discriminate against candidates with felony records. (BrainofJ, I don’t accuse you of this.)

I have nothing against a company making it’s own decision in either case, either way. There’s a reason a lot of us encounter an unpleasant work colleague and wonder “why doesn’t the boss just get rid of them???”. It’s because they’re worth more to the company than the headaches they cause.

If this kid can play, and not cause a PR nightmare going forward, I’d draft him over a guy that gives free hugs and is mediocre. I don’t care what he thinks or who he likes/dislikes, provided he’s learned to keep that in his own head and out of the locker room.

member 96824

Is it just the fact that the kid has the talent to potentially make millions that you don’t like?

Should he go to college and be an accountant for $80k, or should every university pass him by too. Is it okay if he works at a gas station, or should the guy jump head first off a bridge and just end it now instead of burdening society because nobody wants to give him a job? If we allow the black kid to kick him in the nuts, can he then play, or does he need to cry publicly for our entertainment?

I’m being an ass to illustrate that you can’t just have a start to a punishment, you have to have an end too. What is enough? What precedent do you want to set...and I hope it isn’t too harsh or else a bunch of fine people from my past will likely soon gather outside my door with tar and feathers.

I’d say in most cases the punishment starts and stops at the point of said person’s life in which it occurs. Act like a bully at school, get suspended/expelled. Move on. Act like a bully at work, get fired. Move on.

Ironically, the same people that discount a kid for bullying are often the ones that support criminal reform and laws that mandate employers can’t discriminate against candidates with felony records. (BrainofJ, I don’t accuse you of this.)

I have nothing against a company making it’s own decision in either case, either way. There’s a reason a lot of us encounter an unpleasant work colleague and wonder “why doesn’t the boss just get rid of them???”. It’s because they’re worth more to the company than the headaches they cause.

If this kid can play, and not cause a PR nightmare going forward, I’d draft him over a guy that gives free hugs and is mediocre. I don’t care what he thinks or who he likes/dislikes, provided he’s learned to keep that in his own head and out of the locker room.

Let’s start with an apology to the kid and work our way from there.

To the rest, well I made my comment in jest, wasn’t really expecting you to confirm it. I think you’re making a different general argument where I’m being very specific to this case.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Like most people, I don't get to express my moral superiority and disdain for others on the internet very often, so thanks a bunch, Mitchell Miller.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sorry, but I hate the "He was only 14. What stupid things did you do when you were 14?" argument.

Let's call a spade a spade. He basically committed a hate crime. Who here was committing hate crimes when they were 14? I certainly wasn't. This wasn't just standard bullying. You don't get convicted of assault for that.

The bigger problem is that he has supposedly shown few signs of remorse. It seems like he only started to care when it affected his draft stock.

Here's one NHL Draft writer's thoughts:

Hate it all you want, but it's the truth. What he did was terrible, and he was just 14 years old at the time. Has it come to the point where there is no coming back from that? He no longer gets to have a life because he acted like an asshole as young teen? There is just so little grace in our society anymore and its gets tiring with everyone getting on their moral high horse and deciding who gets forgiven of what and who doesn't. Why is a hate crime worse than any other? What he if he just kicked this kid's ass and took his lunch money every day for a year? I guess he could get forgiven for that since it was not a hate crime? As far as "supposedly shown few signs of remorse," well, thank God a cancel culture media and people like you are around to decide whether he is properly repentant or not.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I really think "bullied" is the wrong term for this behavior. At a minimum, what was described is felony assault that lands adults in prison (on camera smashing the kid's head into a brick wall). To do this to a disabled kid is sadism. That is a personality trait people don't often grow out of. I would never bring this person to my organization.

I wish I could like this post twice. What he did is the definition of a hate crime. The fact that the Coyotes called it bullying in their statement tells me they just don't get it. Doing that minimizes the heinousness of the action and disrespects the victim.

This is all I needed to know to make a judgement call.

Joni Meyer-Crothers said the other boy broke down in tears while personally apologizing to her son, yet Miller has never personally apologized, she said, other than the court-mandated letter.

Joni Meyer-Crothers said one of the key reasons Miller and the other boy admitted to the crime and avoided a trial was because it was caught on a surveillance camera, and it would have been shown in court.

"It was absolutely brutal," she said. "Had he not pled guilty, the video would have been released. It would have been so much worse on Mitchell because of the brutality to our son … He's smashing Isaiah's head against a brick wall."

The family declined to release the video to the Republic because Isaiah said it would be too embarrassing for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad