Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XII- Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Fresh thread, nice. I'll open it up with this, sorry if its already been discussed.

How do we see Covid shutdowns effecting prospect development?? No AHL, CHL, or NCAA games. Not sure what Europe looks like, but assuming its similar. Now we've got all these kids who ideally need to be playing to grow their game. How do we see this effecting development?

(not looking for leagues should/shouldn't open politics, but rather given current shutdowns, what effects do we anticipate)

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Fresh thread, nice. I'll open it up with this, sorry if its already been discussed.

How do we see Covid shutdowns effecting prospect development?? No AHL, CHL, or NCAA games. Not sure what Europe looks like, but assuming its similar. Now we've got all these kids who ideally need to be playing to grow their game. How do we see this effecting development?

(not looking for leagues should/shouldn't open politics, but rather given current shutdowns, what effects do we anticipate)
Europe is playing hence a few Euro Bruin prospects already getting games in
I suspect NCAA will get going in December ,might be a bit of uneven scheduling so will have to hope most of the games are competitive ,we'll see
AHL might start earlier than the NHL,Providence already plays a heavy local flavor schedule,might make sense to keep them within Springfield, Hartford, Bridgeport area for a bit
CHL is starting soon if I heard correctly,wonder what they're doing about the American teams?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Fairy tales? Jk jk but Some people don't believe in love at first sight Don but you laid eyes on that +20 plus/minus from Zboril last year and the legend has been growing since
Zboril actually wasn't a reach where he was drafted so I really have high Hopes for him and becomes a late bloomer who becomes a solid dman. I think its turning it around for this kid.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
indefinite loan? Providence has a start date, no? That seems like a weird term unless that’s just what they call it.

Yeah, I guess it is because the AHL has a planned start date but maybe subject to contingencies? So it is actually unknown? Or maybe Boston gave him his walking papers . . .

Reactions: JCRO

BruinsNetwork

indefinite loan? Providence has a start date, no? That seems like a weird term unless that’s just what they call it.

Not weird, especially given roster sizes and extra forwards in the AHL season, more so not knowing how any of that with translate into real life. The RTP committee works on it everyday, Sweeney and Dubas included, so they’re roster moves are hints and clues into the season, in my opinion anyways.

Koppanen has surprisingly good mobility and plays a good defensive game, but there’s no much else. Good shot, but not much offensive awareness or acumen. Soft hands, but not much creativity so he’s really only best in a Nordstrom-like role IMO. Which isn’t bad for a 6’5” forward of course, however, Providence needs others to have more TOI.

Koppanen is probably best suited as an extra in Providence. Playing overseas where he can play more and see more TOI is probably better though in the interim, hence the “indefinitely” marker.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I humbly ask for a JFK update? Is the player still on the Bruins radar? Thanks for anyone with info.

Seconded. Production wasn’t very intriguing in 40 games for him in the SHL (I’d say the 4th best league in the world). He was a 2nd round pick and is still only 23 (turns 24 next month).

Curious about his situation.

Reactions: Baddkarma

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seconded. Production wasn’t very intriguing in 40 games for him in the SHL (I’d say the 4th best league in the world). He was a 2nd round pick and is still only 23 (turns 24 next month).

Curious about his situation.

His GPG and PPG this past season in the SHL was basically the same as it was during his brief time in the NHL the season previous.

Weird.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
His GPG and PPG this past season in the SHL was basically the same as it was during his brief time in the NHL the season previous.

Weird.

I don’t know how others view the rankings but I believe it’s like this:

NHL
AHL
KHL
SHL

With an obvious gap between the NHL and the rest.

So I guess my point is that he produced the same as he did here in the NHL and produced at 0.56 PPG at the AHL and I think that league is better quality. So I still think JFK has potential. Didn’t he also go home to be close to family? That could be a factor in a lot of things. I guess we’ll see what happens.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t know how others view the rankings but I believe it’s like this:

NHL
AHL
KHL
SHL

With an obvious gap between the NHL and the rest.

So I guess my point is that he produced the same as he did here in the NHL and produced at 0.56 PPG at the AHL and I think that league is better quality. So I still think JFK has potential. Didn’t he also go home to be close to family? That could be a factor in a lot of things. I guess we’ll see what happens.

I do believe it was mutually agreed upon by him and the Bruins so there isn't any animosity there and he could return if he wishes. Doesn't seem like a Koko situation where he basically took his ball and went home because he felt he wasn't getting an opportunity he deserved.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Matias Mäntykivi is a player. Looking forward to see him out of yellow and black and into black and gold. Really nice pick up in the 6th round.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Zboril actually wasn't a reach where he was drafted so I really have high Hopes for him and becomes a late bloomer who becomes a solid dman. I think its turning it around for this kid.
People tend to forget D men can take much longer to develop because the position is much harder to learn. This kid could still be a gem, he has the draft pedigree hopefully he takes a leap forward this season.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
He's 23. It's too bad that if a kid doesn't hit by 21 around here they get called a bust.

You make a great point. These guys from 15-16 on are still very young. I still get aggravated about the 2015 draft but I have to get over it. At least the Bruins got players like Carlo, Pasta, and McAvoy outside of the top ten overall.

Can't hit on them all, especially drafting in the bottom third for a decade.

That said, not sold on Sweeney's version of drafting and development to date...

Reactions: HustleB and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You make a great point. These guys from 15-16 on are still very young. I still get aggravated about the 2015 draft but I have to get over it. At least the Bruins got players like Carlo, Pasta, and McAvoy outside of the top ten overall.

Can't hit on them all, especially drafting in the bottom third for a decade.

That said, not sold on Sweeney's version of drafting and development to date...

It's understandable- teams will miss on guys for sure. One thing I try to keep in mind as we see other clubs putting their 19 and 20 year old prospects into full-time NHL duty is that the Bruins, because they are consistently one of the leagues better teams (occasional blip aside) have the luxury of longer development paths. We've seen a lot of clubs ruin their young players by giving them too much too soon because they need the help. You can't accuse the Bruins of that at least. I think they play it out too long sometimes but until a player gets to be about 25 or so, it is hard to really label them a big bust with justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad