Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
he might have been at some point {are you twin peaks?}
i ended up dealing vladar to twin peaks in the chara trade... but then got him back for a 3rd round pick... so for the moment im happy but it freaks me out how i keep trading these guys and always regretting it.

dan swindled Jeremy swayman off me almost 2 years ago and basically i was ending up with eric comrie that time around... clearly i regret that now.

i had zboril… hes gone... federic... hes gone... steen… hes gone

im still able to say i got studnicka, lauzon, lauko and vladar so i got some of the bruins futher but my goal was to get every bruin kid and im far far far short of that

still it does add fun following these prospects development when we got them in the sim. i highly recommend it. i was just jacked as i saw Jeremy lauzon taking his strides this year and that was no small part to having him in the sim. i see a solid top 4 guy for years to come here.

My team is the Old Port Americans.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Was reading over your analysis of McFaul the other day lol. Where do you see his floor/ceiling at? and stylistically who would you say his game is similar to?

Over the last few weeks, I've been on podcast after podcast and I was asked the same question twice that I remember. And as much as I don't like comparisons, I would say his upside is Brandon Carlo and if he fully develops, can quarterback a power play.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not huge on McFaul simply because I haven't had the chance to watch him play and the fact that he was a 6th round pick but I do like the scouting report that Dom posted. With the left side D being so deep throughout the organization, they can take their time with the kid and let him progress without a lot of pressure.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not huge on McFaul simply because I haven't had the chance to watch him play and the fact that he was a 6th round pick but I do like the scouting report that Dom posted. With the left side D being so deep throughout the organization, they can take their time with the kid and let him progress without a lot of pressure.

I don't know that I'd put much stock a draft round when it gets back the 2nd/3rd round. IMO (which is probably the wrong one) 4th round and on are project picks. Kids that show flashes (or maybe on the verge of breaking out) and maybe with the right situation/development they can become an NHL player. I believe Heinen and Bjork were both 4th and 5th rounders respectively. Both guys are quality top 9 wingers.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't know that I'd put much stock a draft round when it gets back the 2nd/3rd round. IMO (which is probably the wrong one) 4th round and on are project picks. Kids that show flashes (or maybe on the verge of breaking out) and maybe with the right situation/development they can become an NHL player. I believe Heinen and Bjork were both 4th and 5th rounders respectively. Both guys are quality top 9 wingers.

With McFaul, it was a timing/development thing as opposed to anything else.

Had 1 year of junior eligibility at the time of his draft (OJHL or USHL) + potentially 4 years of college + a year in the AHL.

Not many teams want to invest 6 years (if it goes the distance).

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Had 1 year of junior eligibility at the time of his draft (OJHL or USHL) + potentially 4 years of college + a year in the AHL.

I never really thought about the bolded part, but I could see why some teams may not want to wait that long. Guess it works to Boston's advantage being deep on the backend because they have the luxury of being able to let those longer term picks develop.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Perfect for the Bruins, that's exactly what we need.

Reactions: PepeBostones

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Who are the NHL comparables for the Bruins’ best...

Per Scott Wheeler from The Athletic (better to read the whole thing but these are his comps):
If two names, first is high end, second is low end.

Studnicka: Bonino, Tierney (yikes!)
Frederic: Goodrow (so we may get a 1st round pick for him someday??)
Vaak: Oesterle, Mario Ferraro (ouch!)
Zboril: Kempny, Oscar Fantenberg
Steen: Jesper Bratt, Denis Malgin
Beecher: Coyle, Bertuzzi (only comp. I was happy about)
Lauko: Calvert, Melker Karlsson
Curtis Hall: A. Kempe, Foegele
Ahcan: Vatanen, Brad Hunt
Wolff: Brendan Dillon, Forbort

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Per Scott Wheeler from The Athletic (better to read the whole thing but these are his comps):

You're better served paying $50 to watch AHL TV and make your own opinions than listening to dudes like him

BruinsNetwork

I really don't like to bash other writers, but this piece rubbed me the wrong way start-to-finish.

Studnicka, the universally regarded high-end prospect, is compared to third-line players and cited as not having "A-level" qualities. Huh?

Frederic is compared to Goodrow? They don't really play similar styles of hockey at all, IMO. Goodrow is a North-to-South, high-energy grinder who's more comparable to a more talented version of Kuraly, IMO.

Vaakanainen getting compared to Oesterle is kind of weird, honestly. In terms of potential production? Maybe, but they really don't play similar styles either. Vaakanainen is more of a Jonas Brodin (original TSN comp during the draft IIRC) than he is an Oesterle. He relies on his skating, positioning, stick and instincts to cover his own zone and make plays. Oesterle is a far less authoritative figure on the defensive side of things, if you asked me, so I'm not sure about that one.

Zboril being compared to Kempny is actually good and I think that's a pretty fair comp. Kempny is truly a solid No. 4 or No. 5 D (as stated) on one of the best teams in the NHL which recently saw a Stanely Cup victory as well. Not flashy, but an authoritative two-way presence. I think Zboril still has much more natural skill, hence why he was drafted where he was, but being a solid No. 4 is still very much within reach.

I don't understand what Wheeler has against Lauko's skill level, but the kids got it in spades. In terms of goals, the production might be similar if Lauko makes it to the NHL, but he's not nearly as much of a team-oriented player like Calvert is/was. Lauko has a chip on his shoulder and plays with an attitude, similar to Marchand, he's selfish when he needs to be and doesn't hesitate from trying to do things on his own. Calvert doesn't really play like that.

Beecher is a good comp to Coyle, as it's been stated by myself and everyone else out there, but I don't really see Bertuzzi there. I don't think Beecher has the natural possession and strength that Coyle has, but not many players do, honestly. Beecher would also be a better comparison to Goodrow, more so than Frederic was, anyways, IMO.

I can see a bit of Warren Foegle in Curtis Hall, but I personally don't see much of Adrian Kempe at all. I think when it comes to Hall, his potential is to be the third-line version of Sean Kuraly. The grinding, energy and defense is the same as Kuraly, but slightly better hands and a better shot. He can shoot and score on the fly, despite that not really being his game. Although he was pretty dominate this year in college, so we shall see.

How on Earth is Ahcan being likened to Sami Vatanen? I mean, the best comparable to Ahcan literally plays for the Bruins and his name is Torey Krug. While Ahcan can't rip the puck like Krug, he makes up for it in terms to his fleet-footed skating– something that Krug himself lacks. A hybrid between Krug and Grzelcyk, Ahcan plays aggressive and on the edge. Sami Vatanen doesn't really play like that, IMO. Vatanen is more of a passive, calculated type player whereas Ahcan is a "get out of my way, I got this" type of player.

I like Wolff, but I don't see him being nearly as effective as Brendan Dillion is in the NHL. Dillion has more density and authority in his skating alone than Wolff does. Wolff isn't a bad skater, but I think Dillion is underrated as giant, hard-nosed defender who can move the puck and transition surprisingly well. Wolff is probably more of a modern-day McQuaid.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Haha, the Leafs honk with Bruins prospect opinions? Pass.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I really don't like to bash other writers, but this piece rubbed me the wrong way start-to-finish.

Studnicka, the universally regarded high-end prospect, is compared to third-line players and cited as not having "A-level" qualities. Huh?

Frederic is compared to Goodrow? They don't really play similar styles of hockey at all, IMO. Goodrow is a North-to-South, high-energy grinder who's more comparable to a more talented version of Kuraly, IMO.

Vaakanainen getting compared to Oesterle is kind of weird, honestly. In terms of potential production? Maybe, but they really don't play similar styles either. Vaakanainen is more of a Jonas Brodin (original TSN comp during the draft IIRC) than he is an Oesterle. He relies on his skating, positioning, stick and instincts to cover his own zone and make plays. Oesterle is a far less authoritative figure on the defensive side of things, if you asked me, so I'm not sure about that one.

Zboril being compared to Kempny is actually good and I think that's a pretty fair comp. Kempny is truly a solid No. 4 or No. 5 D (as stated) on one of the best teams in the NHL which recently saw a Stanely Cup victory as well. Not flashy, but an authoritative two-way presence. I think Zboril still has much more natural skill, hence why he was drafted where he was, but being a solid No. 4 is still very much within reach.

I don't understand what Wheeler has against Lauko's skill level, but the kids got it in spades. In terms of goals, the production might be similar if Lauko makes it to the NHL, but he's not nearly as much of a team-oriented player like Calvert is/was. Lauko has a chip on his shoulder and plays with an attitude, similar to Marchand, he's selfish when he needs to be and doesn't hesitate from trying to do things on his own. Calvert doesn't really play like that.

Beecher is a good comp to Coyle, as it's been stated by myself and everyone else out there, but I don't really see Bertuzzi there. I don't think Beecher has the natural possession and strength that Coyle has, but not many players do, honestly. Beecher would also be a better comparison to Goodrow, more so than Frederic was, anyways, IMO.

I can see a bit of Warren Foegle in Curtis Hall, but I personally don't see much of Adrian Kempe at all. I think when it comes to Hall, his potential is to be the third-line version of Sean Kuraly. The grinding, energy and defense is the same as Kuraly, but slightly better hands and a better shot. He can shoot and score on the fly, despite that not really being his game. Although he was pretty dominate this year in college, so we shall see.

How on Earth is Ahcan being likened to Sami Vatanen? I mean, the best comparable to Ahcan literally plays for the Bruins and his name is Torey Krug. While Ahcan can't rip the puck like Krug, he makes up for it in terms to his fleet-footed skating– something that Krug himself lacks. A hybrid between Krug and Grzelcyk, Ahcan plays aggressive and on the edge. Sami Vatanen doesn't really play like that, IMO. Vatanen is more of a passive, calculated type player whereas Ahcan is a "get out of my way, I got this" type of player.

I like Wolff, but I don't see him being nearly as effective as Brendan Dillion is in the NHL. Dillion has more density and authority in his skating alone than Wolff does. Wolff isn't a bad skater, but I think Dillion is underrated as giant, hard-nosed defender who can move the puck and transition surprisingly well. Wolff is probably more of a modern-day McQuaid.

When it says “By Fluto Shinzawa and Scott Wheeler” at the bottom of the headline, you should stop reading that article.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

This is horrible and I follow the prospects less than most here.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

first, he's a leafs fan, so that is strike 1. as far as his problem with lauko, i think some of
those athletic writers are told to have a strong opinion and hold their ground. whether he's
right or wrong, wheeler is basically saying lauko sucks and that's that. my response would
be, simply, his opinion isn't one i'd worry about. and he's a writer, not a real scout.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Who knows if these comparables will turn out to be right or wrong, but I have trouble believing either Wheeler or Fluto have seen enough of any of them recently to offer accurate projections.

Wheeler is a national prospect writer and Fluto seems to mostly focus on the big league team, at least when he's not writing about his first love, food. I believe Joey Mac actually goes down to Providence with some consistency, so he probably would have been the better person to write this. Oh, that's right, they decided to keep Fluto over him. I've liked my Athletic subscription, but I can't say I understand that decision.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

My first reaction to this was who the heck is Mario Ferraro?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Here is Wheeler assessment on Vaakanainen

I thought his actual scouting was pretty good and exactly what I signed up for

This comes to fruition he would look like a nice match for McAvoy

here it is - overall I’ll take

Urho Vaakanainen, D, Providence (AHL)
High-end comparables: Jordan Oesterle, Mario Ferraro
Wheeler: Vaakanainen has always been a little challenging to evaluate because he doesn’t have a ton of small-area puck skill. He’s not going to hit seams and create through traffic like most first-round defensemen. He’s not a great escape artist. But there are some really impressive qualities to his game, including admirable simplicity, a defensive game that has always been a little beyond his years and plus-level skating.
At this point, he projects as a complementary partner for a more talented player in the bottom-four. There’s a smoothness and ease to his game that should help him play a low-risk, possession-driving game at 5-on-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad