Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I told Sweeney when the pick was made I thought it was Vesalainen. When I realized it was Urho I was bummed because I didn’t know how to spell his name and in my mind he was late first early second. I asked him if Vesalainen was in consideration at 17 or wherever the pick was and he said yes. We were talking about the draftees but it was Bergland who went later they pounded the table for. He said they get paid to do this and you got multiple guys standing up you trust your scouts opinions If you believe in them- which clearly he does.

He never mentioned Thomas but I didn’t ask which ironic because he was the exact guy I wanted.

Dom story is what I heard later - they predraft wanted Brunnstrom who went to Vegas and the backup was Thomas who they were confident would be there.

when it came time to pick Thomas there was pressure on Sweeney to take another defenseman which was Urho

personally I wish Sweeney just went with Thomas but the ramifications would have been interesting-everything from do they trade for Coyle to how’s it effect the Blues who were in last January 1 and Thomas gets big slice of the reason they got better

we will never know

and then there's the Jordan Binnington ramifications......:eek:

A whole lot of second guessing but this game could go on and on;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting prospect this Jack Ahcan
D St Cloud State

from Hockey News Future Watch as a top 4 positional college FA and #1 D with offense acumen

‘fifteen years ago, the 5’8” Ahcan wouldn’t even get a sniff at the NHL, but times have changed, and he’s a gamer. “Unique guy,” said one scout. “Built thick like a fire hydrant, competitive as hell and talented. He’s got a chance to be Brian Rafalski, which I know is high praise. He’s smaller but he can absolutely defend.’

and his scouting report has one player comp and it’s Torey Krug.

Jack Ahcan

no inside but here is what we know
1. No real negotiations with Krug
2. Salary Cap concerns
3. Expansion Defense protection concerns
4. They sign a guy off Playerfax as if they typed in all Krug’s attributes
5. Sweeney comments that if Kevan Miller can and wants to play the Bruins will extend him an offer

unless Torey takes a 1 year deal because of uncertainty due to Covid-19 and helps avoid expansion maybe they resign him

however my belief is Lauzon is the 3rd D they protect and don’t want to be painted into a corner by protecting Krug.

they have no one else like Lauzon on the left side and he offers a potential first pair PK, size, character, leadership, youth, and toughness.

listening to Providence coach Jay Leach on the Perfection podcast with Joe McDonald & Billy Jaffee, discuss Lauzon there is no way they are getting backed into a situation they expose him in expansion.

the second they sign Krug, who wouldn’t sign without a NMC unless he’s an idiot which he ain’t, Lauzon or any other D is there for the taking of Seattle wants / they could make a deal but Seattle has the power in a play like this

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Boston Bruins came in first but so did the Providence Bruins as the top team in both the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.

For a garbage farm system they filled out a roster with many draft picks who played significant roles ~ Zboril, Studnicka, Lauzon, Vladar, Sensyshyn, Frederic, Vaakanainen, Steen, Hughes....

the college guys from Swayman, Beecher, Hall, Olson all trending very well

couple of FA highly thought of college defenseman - Zech and now Ahcan have been added.

The FA signings - Kevan Miller, Krug, Clifton is phenomenal scouting. The overall identification of defenseman brought into the system is absurd.

Sweeney clearly has the knack for this as a former undersized defenseman who played a thousand NHL games.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Outstanding stuff from Kirk Leudeke

guy belongs in an NHL office ~ can’t tell you how many guys coming up not that a can look back close to 20 years later.

I recommend taking a deep dive into these scouting reports

I been reading up about the Avalanche lately and how they turned apparent misfortune into gold. They twice lost the lottery and used the picks for Cale Makar and Bowen Byram. It doesn’t stop there with them and they are set up for a long run of dominance IF they can work the cap.

One thing I’ve concluded as I’ve looked over top prospects lists and 21-and-under lists is the Bruins don’t fare well.

They lack sizzle - no Zadinas, no late steals like an Arthur Kaliyev, who gives instant swag to any draft grade/assessment.

What I’ve concluded is two things about Boston.

1. they take high floor guys

2. they (or is it Sweeney since he’s the defenseman whisper) can find defenseman as well as anyone

To construct a high floor prospect they use a specific formula - mental makeup that includes character, style, and intelligence on and off the ice.

It may not be the sexiest thing and allows for cherry pickers like me to present: Debrincat vs Frederic and/or Kaliyev vs Beecher.

The Bruins scouts & hockey ops though know what they want, and high floor is a byproduct of taking players who fit their blueprint.

When you draft or trade for these types you end up with a Cam Neely, Patrice Bergeron, Mookie Betts, or pretty much every single guy on the field for the Patriots on that overtime drive against Atlanta in the SB.

The high floor can blow of the roof- I saw Neely the day he was traded here as a 25 G 125 PIM second line RW; Betts I loved in Lowell and realized in Portland he was a stud BUT my wildest dream was a second baseman along the lines of Cincinnati Reds Brandon Phillips.

You get good fortune here but your base is high to start - Boston one scout who works now in Western Conference is exactly this an organization loaded with guys who can play in the NHL and you never know which one will take off, and there will be’

it’s never going to get the attention of lists even when they had McAvoy & Pastrnak were coming along yet here they are set up even past Chara, Krejci, and potentially even Rask.

Bergeron reminds me more of Jean Belliveau as he ages gracefully on and off the ice - allowing iconic talent around him like Yvan Cournoyer and Jacques Lemaire excel as he facilitated until the moment got bigger.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Pretty impressive that Brogan Rafferty basically equaled his entire college career's production in his first OHL season.

Also impressive that his parents named him Brogan, which sounds like a YA evil antagonist.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just curious, who is the B's number 1 goalie prospect?

IDK that there is a clearly cut #1 goalie prospect at this point and depending on who you talk to the answer is different.

I guess it depends on how you want to define #1 prospect. Is it upside, is it NHL readiness, is it their floor.

Next year will be an interesting year for the goalie trio we have. It'll be interesting to see if anyone separates themselves from the other two.

Reactions: PepeBostones

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
IDK that there is a clearly cut #1 goalie prospect at this point and depending on who you talk to the answer is different.

I guess it depends on how you want to define #1 prospect. Is it upside, is it NHL readiness, is it their floor.

Next year will be an interesting year for the goalie trio we have. It'll be interesting to see if anyone separates themselves from the other two.

Attachments

• NHL Central Scouting - Goalie Checklist.pdf
    903.4 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: OneManIsNoMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad