Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Haven`t seen a Beecher update recently unless I missed it? Anyone know how he`s looking? I see by the stats he has 14 pts in his freshman year which isn`t out of this world nor to be scoffed at but wondering about his overall game. Thx

I watched 3 of Beecher's games the past two weekends on the Big Ten Network. My thoughts:

-- His play definitely hasn't been at the same level as it was early in the season. Early on he was leaps and bounds the best player on his team and making plays all over the ice...the past few games you only notice him a couple times a game and the chances he does generate hasn't resulted in goals.
-- His play has been much sloppier lately...getting the puck poked away easily, bad passes, falling down, etc. The good news is that he is still trying to make plays with the puck but not much good has been happening when he does of late.
-- I can see how the coach could get frustrated with some of his mistakes but I do have to question the coach's usage of him lately:
** While he is still on the top line, he has been playing RW (as a left shot). It wouldn't surprise me if he has never played RW before in his life.
** On the PP he plays the left point. He is a big body with slick hands...you either park him in front of the net or the side wall, not the point.
** He hasn't been getting much time on the PK which has been a strength of his in the past (I believe he was the #1 PK center for USA at the WJC).
** He barely takes faceoffs anymore despite being another strength of his. Even when his center gets kicked out, the LW has been taking FOs instead.

It seems like a chicken or egg situation...is he not playing well because he isn't being used correctly? Or is he not being used correctly because he isn't playing well? Hard to say. The team itself has been playing much better lately so the coach has been pulling the right strings to get wins...but I don't know if the current situation is the best for Beecher's development.

Early in the season I would've said Beecher was ready for Providence next season. Now I would say he probably needs at least one more year.
Who knows, maybe he is banged up and that explains 90% of the issues above and it is no big deal...but if not, I don't know if Michigan is the best place for him next year.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Anyone been keeping an eye on Cedric Pare? The kid has been doing excellent in the QMJHL this season with 87 points in 61 games this year with 51 of those being assists from what I'm seeing. Now some of that I assume has to come down to him playing on the same line as Alex Lafreniere, who is projected to be a top 3 pick. That said, the Bruins should look at possibly pulling him out of juniors and finally putting him in Providence.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Anyone been keeping an eye on Cedric Pare? The kid has been doing excellent in the QMJHL this season with 87 points in 61 games this year with 51 of those being assists from what I'm seeing. Now some of that I assume has to come down to him playing on the same line as Alex Lafreniere, who is projected to be a top 3 pick. That said, the Bruins should look at possibly pulling him out of juniors and finally putting him in Providence.

no longer bruins property iirc

seems like his production fell off as the season went along, I remember him being at like 2 ppg. He should be dominating though, he’s a massive 21 year old

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
no longer bruins property iirc

seems like his production fell off as the season went along, I remember him being at like 2 ppg. He should be dominating though, he’s a massive 21 year old

I mean he is still top 5 in points in the Q, so its not like he completely fell off the map. Couldn't hurt for the Bruins to give him a tryout.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I watched 3 of Beecher's games the past two weekends on the Big Ten Network. My thoughts:

-- His play definitely hasn't been at the same level as it was early in the season. Early on he was leaps and bounds the best player on his team and making plays all over the ice...the past few games you only notice him a couple times a game and the chances he does generate hasn't resulted in goals.
-- His play has been much sloppier lately...getting the puck poked away easily, bad passes, falling down, etc. The good news is that he is still trying to make plays with the puck but not much good has been happening when he does of late.
-- I can see how the coach could get frustrated with some of his mistakes but I do have to question the coach's usage of him lately:
** While he is still on the top line, he has been playing RW (as a left shot). It wouldn't surprise me if he has never played RW before in his life.
** On the PP he plays the left point. He is a big body with slick hands...you either park him in front of the net or the side wall, not the point.
** He hasn't been getting much time on the PK which has been a strength of his in the past (I believe he was the #1 PK center for USA at the WJC).
** He barely takes faceoffs anymore despite being another strength of his. Even when his center gets kicked out, the LW has been taking FOs instead.

It seems like a chicken or egg situation...is he not playing well because he isn't being used correctly? Or is he not being used correctly because he isn't playing well? Hard to say. The team itself has been playing much better lately so the coach has been pulling the right strings to get wins...but I don't know if the current situation is the best for Beecher's development.

Early in the season I would've said Beecher was ready for Providence next season. Now I would say he probably needs at least one more year.
Who knows, maybe he is banged up and that explains 90% of the issues above and it is no big deal...but if not, I don't know if Michigan is the best place for him next year.

Finding Michigan hard to watch this season. So your last comment I agree with wholeheartedly. Definitely not the Beecher I watched during the WJC though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean he is still top 5 in points in the Q, so its not like he completely fell off the map. Couldn't hurt for the Bruins to give him a tryout.

Oh the production is for sure incredibly good, he was putting up eye-popping numbers at one point though. Like I spit my coffee out kinda eye-popping

I honestly didn’t know the bruins offered him a contract and he refused, I figured they Simply didn’t see enough from him and valued the roster spot more for someone else

Reactions: EvilDead

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

from the sounds of everything I’d almost rather they get him out of that environment, even if it means he plays ECHL next year. Sheesh. Maybe they’re trying to work on specific areas of his game or something? Idk. It doesn’t seem like what Michigan’s doing makes a lot of sense. Like no PK, no faceoffs, and playing the point on the PP with his size??? What in the hell?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

appreciate all the great info, thx

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
That's a shame.
Yep, a real shame that a 6th round draft pick only started to produce after 4 years in the league when he was put on a line with the projected #1 pick in the upcoming draft. Let another team take the bait on that one. Everyone here constantly says despite the rankings they have a deep system, why are we worried about losing out on a guy who didn’t want to sign here?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Yep, a real shame that a 6th round draft pick only started to produce after 4 years in the league when he was put on a line with the projected #1 pick in the upcoming draft. Let another team take the bait on that one. Everyone here constantly says despite the rankings they have a deep system, why are we worried about losing out on a guy who didn’t want to sign here?

Only because the guy has size and I generally like having centers with size. Good centers with size are a valuable asset to me. And while the Bruins have some excellent prospects at the position, the one noticeable thing with all of them is a lack of size.

Reactions: Strafer

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Only because the guy has size and I generally like having centers with size. Good centers with size are a valuable asset to me. And while the Bruins have some excellent prospects at the position, the one noticeable thing with all of them is a lack of size.
All very true. But, as pointed out, he didn't want to sign with Boston after being offered a contract. What did you expect, a signing bonus after his body of work up to that point?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Frederic and Beecher lack size?

And who do they have besides those two? Curtis Hall? Also Frederic hasn't impressed in his time up in the big leagues enough to give me confidence. Now Beecher the jury is still out on because he is still at the University of Michigan and I hope he has a better sophomore season. But Frederic? He looks so average as a player.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
All very true. But, as pointed out, he didn't want to sign with Boston after being offered a contract. What did you expect, a signing bonus after his body of work up to that point?

No. I would like the Bruins to at least give him another look in preseason as a non roster invite or something, but if the kid won't sign on the dotted line then it's a moot point.

BruinsNetwork

And who do they have besides those two? Curtis Hall? Also Frederic hasn't impressed in his time up in the big leagues enough to give me confidence. Now Beecher the jury is still out on because he is still at the University of Michigan and I hope he has a better sophomore season. But Frederic? He looks so average as a player.

Yes, Hall who stands at 6’3” and 200lbs. Jack Studnicka stands at 6’1”/6’2” as well. He doesn’t have the weight, but saying they have a “lack of size” at center is just wrong.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Well they do have Kuraly at 6'2" 213 and Charlie Coyle at 6'3" 230. Granted, not prospects, but added to Beecher, Hall and Frederic it's safe to say size is not a negative at the C position for this franchise.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Since many of you didn't know he was offered a contract i bet many of you also didn't know he went back into the draft last year, 31 teams x 7 rounds and no takers
Someone will pick him up at seasons end,like they did with Justin Brazeau

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Since many of you didn't know he was offered a contract i bet many of you also didn't know he went back into the draft last year, 31 teams x 7 rounds and no takers

I remember everybody clamoring for Brazeau on every board. Didn’t matter the team

Asselin is currently producing at a higher rate in the ECHL

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Well that explains his not signing with the B's- he wanted to try his luck in a second draft. I might be wrong in thinking this, but does that move ever work out for anyone? I am sure it has, but it seems like every time we hear of a guy not signing with his original draft team and going back in, he gets picked even later or not at all.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Your 2-4 centers at some point will be

Coyle 6’3
Studnicka 6’2
Frederic 6’3
Beecher 6’3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad