Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Er, David Krejci was drafted out of the Czech Junior leagues, not from the CHL. He did play in CHL after being drafted.

While not a Bruin pick, i believe Chara much like Krejci was drafted from a Euro league, who came to CHL after his draft

Look the draft is all about getting the best player with your picks, which means having quality scouting in place in all leagues, AND also the willingness to follow your list, regardless of where the players come from.

People are talking like the Bruins under Sweeney have been unwilling to draft CHL players.

Look at the last 4 drafts, the Bruins have drafted 10 CHL, 9 Euro, 8 US hockey. With the last 2 drafts being more international
Conversation started with the quote “lots of bust coming out of the CHL, better off drafting college and Europe”. Yes Chara and Krejci were drafted from Europe but were developed in the CHL, as is the case with Jakob Lauko. Drafting shouldn’t be about drafting local kids or certain areas, it should be about drafting the best player. The CHL is known for quality players, Orr, Gretzky, McDavid, Bourque, Lemieux and the list is fairly long so it would pay to keep an eye on that league, which of course the Bruins do.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My post was sarcasm but
I do think the CHL is a puppy mill that needs a complete and thorough overhaul
A CHL player thats drafted the clock starts immediately, NCAA or Euro you might have up to 6 years to make a decision to sign, that's 6 more years of development ,nutrition, weight rooms,prospect camps,evaluation, reevaluations etc. Etc. Etc. ,I know who I'd pick assuming the internal rankings were around the same and when they're not you pick a Captain Jack.
Didn't Boston hire a bunch of CHL scouts a few months ago? That should help with this ridiculously deep upcoming draft

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
My post was sarcasm but
I do think the CHL is a puppy mill that needs a complete and thorough overhaul
A CHL player thats drafted the clock starts immediately, NCAA or Euro you might have up to 6 years to make a decision to sign, that's 6 more years of development ,nutrition, weight rooms,prospect camps,evaluation, reevaluations etc. Etc. Etc. ,I know who I'd pick assuming the internal rankings were around the same and when they're not you pick a Captain Jack.
Didn't Boston hire a bunch of CHL scouts a few months ago? That should help with this ridiculously deep upcoming draft
The rules that apply to the CHL are in place from the NHL, the fact their development time is different doesn’t make the CHL a “puppy mill”. The CHL is a great organization for players. Most don’t make the NHL but the same can be said for Jr leagues in the US or Europe. The CHL provides a great education incentive for players and most that don’t go pro get a free education, one year tuition for every year played. Ken Hitchcock speaks often of how proud he is of all the players he has coached in the CHL who went on to become Police officers, Doctors, Lawyers or whatever profession they chose.

One player who I convinced to come to camp for the WHL team I was scouting for is now a Doctor in Edmonton. He had an offer from the Red Wings for a three way deal, NHL, AHL, ECHL, they wouldn’t give him a signing bonus that would match what his education fund from the WHL was worth so he didn’t sign. He finished in the WHL then moved to university in N.S. and the rest is history. A local kid from my hometown played five years in the WHL, finished there went to U of A got a degree and is now the Education coordinator for the WHL.

The CHL is a great league, not only for developing NHL players but also for developing great citizens.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The rules that apply to the CHL are in place from the NHL, the fact their development time is different doesn’t make the CHL a “puppy mill”. The CHL is a great organization for players. Most don’t make the NHL but the same can be said for Jr leagues in the US or Europe. The CHL provides a great education incentive for players and most that don’t go pro get a free education, one year tuition for every year played. Ken Hitchcock speaks often of how proud he is of all the players he has coached in the CHL who went on to become Police officers, Doctors, Lawyers or whatever profession they chose.

One player who I convinced to come to camp for the WHL team I was scouting for is now a Doctor in Edmonton. He had an offer from the Red Wings for a three way deal, NHL, AHL, ECHL, they wouldn’t give him a signing bonus that would match what his education fund from the WHL was worth so he didn’t sign. He finished in the WHL then moved to university in N.S. and the rest is history. A local kid from my hometown played five years in the WHL, finished there went to U of A got a degree and is now the Education coordinator for the WHL.

The CHL is a great league, not only for developing NHL players but also for developing great citizens.

Great post, I have had a few friends who played in the CHL, one went on to make it in the NHL ( Freddy Brathwaite) the other did not (Billy Bennett). The one who didn`t was provided with a nice University degree which led him to a career which he is still very much enjoying. Both would often tell me during their summers off that while they were provided with little in the way of $$, the opportunities provided by the CHL were plentiful

Reactions: BBB24

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I don't want to speak for Dom, but he's a guy that covers the OHL extensively, and he has said recently (both to me and I believe publicly, either here or on Twitter) that he believes the USHL has replaced the CHL as the preeminent development league.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I don't want to speak for Dom, but he's a guy that covers the OHL extensively, and he has said recently (both to me and I believe publicly, either here or on Twitter) that he believes the USHL has replaced the CHL as the preeminent development league.
You and him are entitled to your opinions but would have to disagree. Yes the USHL and USA hockey in general is growing at a faster pace, but mostly due to where they started. There are 37 million people in Canada and I believe somewhere around 336 million people in the US, they should be producing players at a high rate. As long as the Bruins draft the best player available I could care less where they come from and the CHL has continually proven to provide top end players.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You and him are entitled to your opinions but would have to disagree. Yes the USHL and USA hockey in general is growing at a faster pace, but mostly due to where they started. There are 37 million people in Canada and I believe somewhere around 336 million people in the US, they should be producing players at a high rate. As long as the Bruins draft the best player available I could care less where they come from and the CHL has continually proven to provide top end players.

Once again, that is not my opinion. It's the opinion of a guy (@Dom - OHL) who has quite a bit of knowledge about the CHL. Also, I don't think he's basing it on how fast they are growing or even relative production of NHL players. He simply said he believes the USHL is now the best developmental league for hockey.

Hopefully, he sees this and chimes in.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Here is a chart I made showing the number of players the Bruins have picked by SOURCE LEAGUE since 2001 as well as the number of NHL games played, avg # of NHL game by player and % chance a player plays at least 1 NHL game. There are some interesting numbers here. The Bruins definitely favor picking players from the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), especially from the OHL. However, they have been more successful with players from the QMJHL and WHL, in terms of identifying players that go on to play longer NHL careers. However, most impressive of all is that while the Bruins only picked 10 NCAA players since 2001, 90% went on to play at least 1 NHL game and yield the highest avg number of NHL games per player of any league.

So, while this is not a dynamic chart (and many recent draft picks are still in development phase) - it shows that the Bruins do not favor the NCAA, in terms of number of picks taken, but their success rate has been really spectacular when drafting from that league.

Not sure if this sheds light on anything...but for me it sort of shows the Bruins long-time tendency for drafting from the CHL.

upload_2018-12-18_14-9-51.png

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bjork up to 1g and 8a in 7 games with Prov. I'm pulling for him because I think he can be a good NHL player one day. Would also love to see him get a call-up before the winter classic.

I think that it's just a matter of time before he's back in Boston. He's one of my favorite prospects, and I think that he will be a solid top-six/nine contributor with the Bruins soon enough.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Here is a chart I made showing the number of players the Bruins have picked by SOURCE LEAGUE since 2001 as well as the number of NHL games played, avg # of NHL game by player and % chance a player plays at least 1 NHL game. There are some interesting numbers here. The Bruins definitely favor picking players from the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), especially from the OHL. However, they have been more successful with players from the QMJHL and WHL, in terms of identifying players that go on to play longer NHL careers. However, most impressive of all is that while the Bruins only picked 10 NCAA players since 2001, 90% went on to play at least 1 NHL game and yield the highest avg number of NHL games per player of any league.

So, while this is not a dynamic chart (and many recent draft picks are still in development phase) - it shows that the Bruins do not favor the NCAA, in terms of number of picks taken, but their success rate has been really spectacular when drafting from that league.

Not sure if this sheds light on anything...but for me it sort of shows the Bruins long-time tendency for drafting from the CHL.

View attachment 166827
Just curious as to why you would separate the CHL into three? Yes there are three leagues there but they all belong to the CHL.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Just curious as to why you would separate the CHL into three? Yes there are three leagues there but they all belong to the CHL.

Quite simply, it is interesting to see of which those three leagues the Bruins get their picks...and how they turned out. When you factor in the sheer size of the CHL, the number of teams and players...it's behemoth compared to other amateur leagues worldwide. The data would have been less dynamic.

That is all.

If you prefer to lump the three together, go for it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Once again, that is not my opinion. It's the opinion of a guy (@Dom - OHL) who has quite a bit of knowledge about the CHL. Also, I don't think he's basing it on how fast they are growing or even relative production of NHL players. He simply said he believes the USHL is now the best developmental league for hockey.

Hopefully, he sees this and chimes in.

I try and stay out of the debate because it's hard to find people on either side of the border who are willing to look at it without some sort of bias. I often get accused, because I am an OHL guy first, of being biased. But then, those people have ignored what I have said previously.

You're not wrong on what I said Joe, but not right either.

What I did say is the USHL has taken over as the best junior hockey league in the world, knocking the OHL into second. You can see it in drafting and you'll see it again in 2019. However, when it comes to developing players for the NHL, the OHL is still at the top. In my opinion of course.

The problem is this: The OHL (and CHL) exist to develop players for the NHL. The USHL is predominantly responsible for developing players for the NCAA. I'd be curious to see how it all changes if CHL players were eligible to play in the NCAA. It would have an effect, but I'm not certain in which way it would go.

You can't really go by what the Bruins have done in the past either. Prior to Don Sweeney, the Bruins did very little crossover scouting and had little to no eyes in the OHL. The were good in the Dub and the Q, but the O was lacking.

Times have changed for them. I can only hope they continue with the emphasis they put on drafting and with eyes all over the world.

I could care less in where the player comes. As long as they stick to that, I'm happy.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Jack "The" STUDnicka.

Can't help getting excited for this kid.

Looking forward to the tourney.

Are we going to have a separate IIHF thread? I haven't kept up and would like to see if there are other Bruins prospects in the tourney as well.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

View attachment 166827
This list is awesome. If you could add +/- or points or even average salary per 82 it might add some more information to the quality of the man games from these leagues. Great research though, Thank You.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Sam Cosentino ( Sportsnet ) breaks down Canada's WJC team and had this to say about Studnicka:

Jack Studnicka, a Boston pick who plays with OHL Oshawa, elevated his game in camp the same way he did in Boston’s camp. At his best he’s good on the forecheck, reliable in his own end and can produce at second- or third-line levels.

Full story here: www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/team-canada-wjc-scouting-report-sam-cosentino-analyzes-roster/?shawct=1

I think this is selling him a bit short. Really hoping he opens some more eyes during this tournament.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jack "The" STUDnicka.

Can't help getting excited for this kid.

Looking forward to the tourney.

Are we going to have a separate IIHF thread? I haven't kept up and would like to see if there are other Bruins prospects in the tourney as well.

I`ll be heading to the tilt tonight vs the Swiss then vs Slovakia on Friday, unfortunately, work hinders me from being a regular attendee of the tournament as I have been in the past as TC is playing official tournament games only in Vancouver so this will have to do. I do have tickets for a bunch of games being held here in Victoria so I`ll get to see tons of tourney, just not TC live

I`ll do my best to give my completely biased and clearly under-qualified opinions on all Bruin prospects:laugh:

Dom, are you in town?

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
This list is awesome. If you could add +/- or points or even average salary per 82 it might add some more information to the quality of the man games from these leagues. Great research though, Thank You.

Oh man. If I get some time I will have another look. I made that chart while at work and I was pushing my luck as it was. Anyways, if you want to see those stats - HAVE AT IT! :)

Reactions: HustleB

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I`ll be heading to the tilt tonight vs the Swiss then vs Slovakia on Friday, unfortunately, work hinders me from being a regular attendee of the tournament as I have been in the past as TC is playing official tournament games only in Vancouver so this will have to do. I do have tickets for a bunch of games being held here in Victoria so I`ll get to see tons of tourney, just not TC live

I`ll do my best to give my completely biased and clearly under-qualified opinions on all Bruin prospects:laugh:

Dom, are you in town?

How's it looking there at the rink?
Sold out?

Just putting the game on TSN now, have fun and enjoy yourself.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Oh man. If I get some time I will have another look. I made that chart while at work and I was pushing my luck as it was. Anyways, if you want to see those stats - HAVE AT IT! :)
I once charted Jared Knight’s supposed increase in scoring at one point when I was younger. Big mistake.

But I certainly did not intend to take your work for granted. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad