Post-Game Talk: Bruins prospects in Buffalo - Game 3 | BRUINS 9 Devils 3 FINAL

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Prospect challenge - all 3 games, my take (only saw about 2/3rds total due to stream problems or work)
They seem more like pickup games then anything with a structure but it can be a good gauge on who might be ready now.

Centers - 1 or 2 bottom 6 roles available today and possible top 6 role in a couple years
Studnicka - Speed, skill, 200' game. Probably the biggest impact in fans eyes. I'd expect him to go back to Oshawa for 1 more year since there are already a lot of bottom 6 centers on ELC vying for the spots. Would really have to impress to get the Bs to use his 1st year of ELC. May get a couple of games if this level of play continues into main camp and preseason games.
JFK - not overly fancy or really fast and likely needs a structure or system and high end players to really shine. I think he will be the main reason Studnicka goes back to Jrs. If the Bruins don't trade Spooner, it's likely JFK starts in the AHL which is fine. Expect him to get a full time NHL job at some point this year.
Kuraly - To me, the 4th line C is his to lose. Big, fast, and gets back on D. Nothing fancy from him but he could get 20 pts as a very good 4th liner.
Koppanen - Really big with straight line speed. He could be a bottom 6 center in a couple years. I'm not certain about his offense. Hopefully we get a feel for that with a full season in the Liiga.

RW - With Pasta unsigned, Backes is the only RW guaranteed a spot.
Heinen - Included here at RW because he plays both wings. He still plays small for a 6' guy but really shows some elite skill: shot; passing; hockey IQ. I think the biggest thing they wanted him to learn in the AHL (besides the system) is to play at pace. He did that in the AHL playoffs and in these games.
Bjork - Like Heinen plays both wings but Bs seem him as RW. Fast but seems small out there; I think he skates low for speed. Not afraid of contact and will engage to win board battles. A good complete winger. Most likely RW rookie for the Bruins.
Senyshyn - A+ speed is all I saw. He's big but doesn't seem to battle for pucks. 100% he will spend a full year in the AHL. Hopefully they can get his development back on track and turn him into an NHLer.
Fitzgerald - I thought he's a LW but they had him at RW. Looks small but ok. Nothing stood out good or bad. Likely another guy that should get a full AHL season.
Hickman - Showed some straight line speed in the 3rd game but not the edgework or start/stopping to get back into plays. He did get 2 goals over the 3 games. He could not handle the puck and continuously passed into his teammates skates or to opponents.

LW - 1 top 6 spot open if you can beat out Vatrano and Beleskey. 1 bottom 6 open.
Heinen - See above.
DeBrusk - Fast and showed willingness and IQ on defense. Great shot and speed. Battles for pucks. I think he will either make the team or be one of the last cuts. He and Heinen will compete for Krejci's LW slot and if Pasta holds out then both will make it as Heinen shifts over to RW.
Gabrielle - He came to play in these games. Looks like another 200' complete winger. I do question how much hockey IQ he has but that just might be teaching the Bruins system. Looks very coachable as he's done everything the Bruins have asked. His game is adaptable from 4th to 1st line. My guess is he starts the season in the AHL but could be finishing in the NHL.
Steen - Was good on the energy line with Kuraly and Gabrielle but otherwise didn't stand out. Back in Sweden for another SHL season.
Pare - Don't know why they drafted him.

Defense - maybe one LD open plus McAvoy taking one RD
McAvoy - He got in a game as a warmup for the preseason. Looks to continue his play from the playoffs. NHL now.
Johansson - I was convinced he was going to take that 3rd LD spot until the concussion--may still but have to see how severe an injury it was. Played excellent defense and started clean breakouts. Did not notice a lot of offense but steady and calm play. Likely AHL to start now but one of the first injury callups.
Grzelcyk - He's probably now the favorite for the 3rd LD. Fast, A+ passer, and clam play. Size is the biggest issue but if he can put up points and start breakouts they can compensate for him.
O'Gara - He is the guy I had the biggest expectations for and he let me down. He's big with good speed but I'm starting to question the hockey IQ. On D, I saw him chase people up to the blue line instead of handing them over to forwards. Not a great breakout passer and got picked off for quick counter attacks. I'd say it seems like tunnel vision where he just see's the one guy in front of him and not the whole ice. He did this in the NHL last year and I though they would have corrected it in the AHL but it seems not yet.
Zboril - Based upon the parts of the streams I was able to see, I really liked his game. Made some big hits, took the body along the boards, and made some very good reads. I noticed in today's game one play on the side of his net he sucked a guy in and took a big hit to make the play and did not retaliate with a dumb penalty. Bs had PP after. He'll be competing for that NHL job in camp. He seems like another complete D but we need to see him in preseason against regular NHLers.
Berglund - Really nice offense. I thought his D was much better today. He's got good speed and while he didn't mix it up he did compete along the boards nicely. I still think 2-3 years away and that puts him on the same timeline as Johansson from draft to AHL/NHL. I'm really starting to like these 7th round Swedish D picks.
Lauzon - He's really fast. He got back on D several times that I kept having to lookup 79 to see who that was. Big but didn't seem to use his size. Made some good judgements on when to go offensively but I'd say Zboril is better defensively right now. I'd think a full AHL season to work on the defense. With his size and speed he could be special in a couple years but it's not his time not just yet.
Clifton - Stood out on defense like Studnicka did on offense. I have no idea why Arizona didn't sign him. He needs a year to improve judgements on when to go and when not to but to see a dman with multiple breakaways per game tells you what you might just have.

Everyone else: meh

I could see BU's top D pair from 2 years ago being the Bruins bottom pair this year.
Grzelcyk - McAvoy

Also, at some point this year, I'd love to see the havoc this line creates.
Gabrielle - Kuraly - Acciari

For as promising as the reads have been about Studsy, I`m not penciling him into any Bruin NHL roster for a few years, play this year in Junior, next year in Providence, then assess

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gone from a 25 goals scorer from the 3rd/4th line to a 45 goals scorer from the 1st line (more opportunity=more result?!?, couldn't improve his number in his 2nd season as a 1st liner. The guy is a pts per game ohler who could never do anything in the playoff. He was bigger than most, much faster than anyone, but still couldn't "dominate" and that bring us to his biggest flaw, his feel for the game. It hasn't evolve much in the last two year and that's defenetly concerning imho. So I could totally see why someone would think he has stalled in his developpement. In the AHL he won't be bigger than others and more will be able to skate well enough to counter him. He will need to find a way to create offense outside of his one move, wish he could have figure this out at the level below, it will be hard now ...

You seem to be down on Senyshyn

I'm going the 7th 14th and I think 21st to Providence so I'll watch him and clear this up

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
For as promising as the reads have been about Studsy, I`m not penciling him into any Bruin NHL roster for a few years, play this year in Junior, next year in Providence, then assess

would love to see him have a strong start to the season in the O and get an invite to WJC tryouts.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You seem to be down on Senyshyn

I'm going the 7th 14th and I think 21st to Providence so I'll watch him and clear this up

please do, I`m always sitting in the fog:laugh:

I`m optimistic about Seny down the road but I`m also a fan who isn`t too hurried to push a kid into a lineup before they are ready. Let him gain the valuable exposure and experience at the AHL level, work with him in areas he`ll need to improve upon if he`s to have a solid NHL career and see what happens.

Based on what I`ve read about him, he`s coach able and a hard worker, just needs to cut the inconsistencies in his game which creep up from time to time, not unlike most teenagers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
please do, I`m always sitting in the fog:laugh:

I`m optimistic about Seny down the road but I`m also a fan who isn`t too hurried to push a kid into a lineup before they are ready. Let him gain the valuable exposure and experience at the AHL level, work with him in areas he`ll need to improve upon if he`s to have a solid NHL career and see what happens.

Based on what I`ve read about him, he`s coach able and a hard worker, just needs to cut the inconsistencies in his game which creep up from time to time, not unlike most teenagers

Yah I will

When I focus I'm probably as good as anyone other than Glorydaze at this stuff so for you Andrew I won't drink or look at women while play is going on

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
would love to see him have a strong start to the season in the O and get an invite to WJC tryouts.

that`d be nice, if we see a solid improvement to his game this year, then next in Providence I`ll be happy. Only a few months ago the overwhelming majority of fans here were asking "who the he** is this"?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yah I will

When I focus I'm probably as good as anyone other than Glorydaze at this stuff so for you Andrew I won't drink or look at women while play is going on

:laugh:

feel free to drink, the larger of the two distractions will always be the ladies:yo:

I`ll await your assessments:popcorn:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Always appreciate the feedback posters at or watching the games provide.

SN did provide a highlight package on their morning highlight show of the B's and Devils. Unfortunately have not found it on their site. Outside of the obvious focus of interest with any highlights, the pronouncation for Jesse Gabrielle surname stood out. The announcer surprised me by using Gab-Bree-elle. Anybody aware if that is indeed correct?

Wonder how many from the rookie camp get invites to the main camp? McAvoy's a given, otherwise guessing;

On D:
O'Gara
Grytz
Little Z
Lauzon
Johnson (now a ? - replaced by Clifton perhaps?)

Forward:
DeBrusk
Heinen
Senyshyn
Bjork
JFK
Kuraly
Fitzgerald

Goaltenders:
Nil

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Always appreciate the feedback posters at or watching the games provide.

SN did provide a highlight package on their morning highlight show of the B's and Devils. Unfortunately have not found it on their site. Outside of the obvious focus of interest with any highlights, the pronouncation for Jesse Gabrielle surname stood out. The announcer surprised me by using Gab-Bree-elle. Anybody aware if that is indeed correct?

Wonder how many from the rookie camp get invites to the main camp? McAvoy's a given, otherwise guessing;

On D:
O'Gara
Grytz
Little Z
Lauzon
Johnson (now a ? - replaced by Clifton perhaps?)

Forward:
DeBrusk
Heinen
Senyshyn
Bjork
JFK
Kuraly
Fitzgerald

Goaltenders:
Nil

I'd expect everyone who currently is under contract from the rookie camp, and everyone who are property of the Bruins from rookie camp(so excluding guys like the two goaltenders, Clifton maybe as he's not Bruins property), to be at the main camp. Pretty standard I would think, I don't recall teams making cuts before main camp opens.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
I'd expect everyone who currently is under contract from the rookie camp, and everyone who are property of the Bruins from rookie camp(so excluding guys like the two goaltenders, Clifton maybe as he's not Bruins property), to be at the main camp. Pretty standard I would think, I don't recall teams making cuts before main camp opens.

Thanks for the clarification.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Appreciate the effort, but going to disagree on a few of these.

I don't see any way that Studnicka gets any NHL games this year. Let him go back to Junior and continue to improve his game.

I have no idea what your comments about JFK mean? He looks to me not so much like a guy that needs elite talent around him as a guy that makes players around him better.

Not sure why you think that Senyshyn's development needs to "get back on track"? In his draft year he was a 3rd liner with potential. In the subsequent two seasons he scored 40+ goals in each season (87 total) and this year he equaled his point total from last year in 7 less games. This year he needs to get some experience playing against men in a pro league. How should his development have gone exactly?

I like Grizz, but given his similarities to Krug, not sure the two of them will ever be on the roster at the same time.

I'm about 180 degrees from you on ROG. I think if anyone grabs a 3rd pair spot from McQ and Miller it will be O'Gara and not Grizz. In watching him, I think he's a poor man's version of Carlo (but not that poor). He's a good decision maker, moves pretty well, and he makes a nice outlet pass.

I can't see Miller or McQ in the Top 4 over McAvoy, who needs to ride shotgun with Z this year like Carlo did last season.

I'm not a scout, just a fan highlighting what I see which can be very wrong.

I agree that Studnicka is going back to OHL but they might *MIGHT* give him a game or two. Most likely he will get a preseason game before going back. He's been that good.

JFK, I think, since he is not a burner he is not as good in the non-structured games vs games in a system with other players that know where to be and what to do. He looked fine here but I think you will see a lot better play in camp and preseason games from him. He's a guy that does his job really well and doesn't run a round but if your linemates are running around it opens up room for the opponents and you can get scored on. Does this make sense? He doesn't need elite players but he can play with them, help them and help his own stats as he can play at their level. This is another comparison of him to Bergeron in that his stats never had him scoring 30 goals until the NHL where he has 3 times: once with Boyes as wing and twice with Marchand. Without them he is still the elite shutdown C with very good offense but no 30 goal seasons. Not in AAA, not in Q, not in AHL. He makes those players around him better but in turn his stats look better.

Senyshyn is an example of the problem with the CHL-NHL agreement. He should have been in the AHL last year learning and adapting to the pro game like DeBrusk but instead he went back to SSM and duplicated another jr season. It hasn't looked like he wanted to check, or win board battles for pucks, or get back on D. All of this he should have been learning in Providence. So 'back on track' in that last year is basically a duplicate of his previous 40G year with nothing new so it's a stalled development year. He had 3 shots on goal over 3 games. 0 shots, 1 shot, and 2 shots. The dman Clifton had more shorthanded breakaways than Senyshyn had shots on goal. I'm not entirely down on him, I think DeBrusk struggled making the pro jump last year but you see his performance now after a full AHL year. So I would like to see the same from Senny.

I agree with you on Grizz. He's probably only getting promoted if Krug gets injured and they plug him into the same slot. But I said the same thing in the playoffs about them not playing Krug when Ferrence returned but they iced a lineup with both sub 6' dmen so it is a possibility.

I've been high on ROG but he's chasing too much. If he gives the puck up or makes a bad read and looses his man (not going to the net) he will chase them around the ice instead of retreating to his LD quadrant and trusting his teammates to pick up their assignment. This is something Carlo knew and did immediately in the NHL and one of the reasons they kept him. I saw McAvoy in the playoffs take 2 steps after someone headed to the point and he remembered what the coaches told him about abandoning his spot and immediately retreated back to cover his side of the goal. I know sometimes you want to make up for your mistake but you need to stick to the system in the pros. If he can just learn to not abandon his section of the ice I think he'll have the best shot at the 3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad