Post-Game Talk: Bruins prospects in Buffalo - Game 3 | BRUINS 9 Devils 3 FINAL

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Good to hear O'Gara got the message, maybe he won't be selling hotdogs at Haven Brothers in 5 years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Senyshyn loses a battle on the sideboards and it's in the net. I wanna like the kid but the coaches in Providence have a lot of work to do. A lot.

Senyshyn worries me a bit. After his post draft explosion, he didn't seem to get any better. He is just faster than everyone in the CHL. He won't be in the Pros.

Of course, its a three game tourney and don't read too much into it and yada yada.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Stream lagged out on me and heard O'Gara got 5 for fighting at the very end. How'd he fair?

Fought a useless piece of trash that will never play in the NHL..He got pounded to an extent but he fought, that's the important part. Bruins will need to waste a spot next year at this tourney with some piece of garbage that will never make it,.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good to hear O'Gara got the message, maybe he won't be selling hotdogs at Haven Brothers in 5 years.

He fought Brandon 'badass' Baddock

Dumb

You only fight him when he kicked your dog or insulted your child and you want to mame him and rage rules the day

Anyways O'Gara more likely will own the diner. Very smart kid but not so much fighting that guy

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
OGara looked very poised from the little bit I got to see. Smooth skating, smart pinches on the boards. etc.

Love his game. I am bias.

KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

:)

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Senyshyn worries me a bit. After his post draft explosion, he didn't seem to get any better. He is just faster than everyone in the CHL. He won't be in the Pros.

Of course, its a three game tourney and don't read too much into it and yada yada.

Honestly this tourney for him reminded me a lot of Seguin's first year in the NHL, or even how Bjork looked during the WC's this year. Just looks a bit lost all around and tries to use his speed to do things the rest of his body isn't capable of doing yet.

I think the AHL will do wonders for him. They aren't going to turn him into Bergeron/Marchand, but hopefully they'll really be able to work with him on some of the more individual things he can do to raise his all around game (speed on the backcheck, beating guys one-on-one). Some of the plays he made today showed good vision, and we obviously know he can score, so if he can even get competent at some of these other things, he'll be fine once he gets to the NHL.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
My thoughts from watching all 3 games of the prospect tourney:

-- Jake Debrusk looked the most NHL-ready to me. He oozes confidence and thinks the game one step ahead of everyone else. It seemed like every shift he was making smart plays and making things happen. His passing is underrated.

-- Heinen was typical Heinen…doesn’t really wow you and then the next thing you know, the puck is in the net. He deserves another look in the top 6 at some point soon to prove whether he can be a full-time NHLer.

-- Bjork wasn’t as electric as he often was in the NCAA but still showed how dangerous he can be offensively potting a few goals in two games. I’m interested in seeing how he does against pros…I don’t have him as a lock for Boston like some do but it wouldn’t surprise me if he looks even better when playing with more skilled guys.

-- JFK looked faster than I remember at BU. He showed a lot of good things at both ends of the ice. I’d like to see him protect the puck a little better…seemed to get knocked off his stick a little too easily a few times.

-- Studnicka was the biggest surprise for me. Good speed. Good skill. Good energy. I’ll be keeping an eye on how he progresses in the OHL this year.

-- Gabrielle was another real bright spot. The young Marchand comparisons are tempting but for every Marchand, there’s a Knight or Camara so I am tempering expectations until we see how he does against men.

-- Kuraly looked good. I really hope he secures a full-time spot in Boston this year.

-- Fitzgerald underwhelmed for the most part. He had a PP goal but didn’t stand out much other than that. Given his age, I was expecting more from him.

-- McAvoy was hard to get a read on because of how many penalties there were on Saturday. He seemed solid (including one beauty outlet pass to set up a breakaway) but the true test will come when main camp opens.

-- Lauzon was really active in jumping into the play…probably moreso than any other D. I don’t remember it translating into much of anything but it also didn’t hurt the B’s at all. Will be interesting to see if that continues for him in the AHL.

-- O’Gara was solid. He took a few too many penalties for my liking though.

-- Gryz was also solid. Some good rushes, good passes…pretty much what you would expect.

-- Zboril is maddening with his inconsistency. One play minute he’ll rock a guy with a check and make a nice pass to get the offense going…the next shift he’ll let a guy skate right by him to win a puck race and let the puck roll right off his stick for an unforced turnover. Overall, I would say he was more good than bad but until he keeps the fire lit for a full 60 minutes and minimizes the errors, I don’t know if he can be relied on in the NHL. Luckily, he has plenty of time to get it straightened out.

-- Senyshyn was by far the biggest disappointment. I didn’t see him really use his speed (aside from one rush that led to a chance in the slot for Fitzgerald but the pass was on his backhand). I don’t recall him having a single shot on goal in 3 games despite a good amount of time on the PP (if he did have a SOG, it wasn’t a scoring threat). He seemed to do a poor job of anticipating the play…there were a couple times today where the puck came near him in the o-zone and he just wasn’t ready for it and couldn’t make a play. He made a nice pass on Debrusk’s goal but that was literally the only highlight of his from the weekend. He did use his size well a few times to protect the puck in the o-zone but it didn't really lead to much offense. Given his age, pedigree, and the fact that the opposing D was pretty lax in this torunament, he should have shined in this type of setting and he simply did not at all. I will add my usual “small sample size” disclaimer and everyone said he would need time to develop when he was drafted and by all accounts, he has been…but this tournament did not make me optimistic that he’ll be much of a contributor this year in Providence.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Lauzon looked to have gotten out muscled a bit in his own end. I saw someone mention that last game and I noticed it a little bit from the little I saw today.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
OGara looked very poised from the little bit I got to see. Smooth skating, smart pinches on the boards. etc.

Love his game. I am bias.

KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

:)

Shame he was out for playoffs his game was really coming along

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly this tourney for him reminded me a lot of Seguin's first year in the NHL, or even how Bjork looked during the WC's this year. Just looks a bit lost all around and tries to use his speed to do things the rest of his body isn't capable of doing yet.

I think the AHL will do wonders for him. They aren't going to turn him into Bergeron/Marchand, but hopefully they'll really be able to work with him on some of the more individual things he can do to raise his all around game (speed on the backcheck, beating guys one-on-one). Some of the plays he made today showed good vision, and we obviously know he can score, so if he can even get competent at some of these other things, he'll be fine once he gets to the NHL.

He gets to work with Trent Whitfield which should help his development a lot

Getting tutelage from Trent & Langenbrunner should pay off in spades

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He fought Brandon 'badass' Baddock

Dumb

You only fight him when he kicked your dog or insulted your child and you want to mame him and rage rules the day

Anyways O'Gara more likely will own the diner. Very smart kid but not so much fighting that guy

Or when one of your teammates gets concussed the game before, you are 6'4 and don't do anything about it. Not sure if it was coaches or teammates but I'm sure something was said or at the very least implied to O'Gara before today's game that pushing back and sticking up for yourself and your teammates goes a long way, especially when you are projected as a 3rd pairing D with above average size.

Getting beat up by a good fighter isn't as important as him answering the bell today, it doesn't sound like he got hurt and I guarantee he has more respect with this group and management today than yesterday.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
My thoughts from watching all 3 games of the prospect tourney:

-- Jake Debrusk looked the most NHL-ready to me. He oozes confidence and thinks the game one step ahead of everyone else. It seemed like every shift he was making smart plays and making things happen. His passing is underrated.

-- Heinen was typical Heinen…doesn’t really wow you and then the next thing you know, the puck is in the net. He deserves another look in the top 6 at some point soon to prove whether he can be a full-time NHLer.

-- Bjork wasn’t as electric as he often was in the NCAA but still showed how dangerous he can be offensively potting a few goals in two games. I’m interested in seeing how he does against pros…I don’t have him as a lock for Boston like some do but it wouldn’t surprise me if he looks even better when playing with more skilled guys.

-- JFK looked faster than I remember at BU. He showed a lot of good things at both ends of the ice. I’d like to see him protect the puck a little better…seemed to get knocked off his stick a little too easily a few times.

-- Studnicka was the biggest surprise for me. Good speed. Good skill. Good energy. I’ll be keeping an eye on how he progresses in the OHL this year.

-- Gabrielle was another real bright spot. The young Marchand comparisons are tempting but for every Marchand, there’s a Knight or Camara so I am tempering expectations until we see how he does against men.

-- Kuraly looked good. I really hope he secures a full-time spot in Boston this year.

-- Fitzgerald underwhelmed for the most part. He had a PP goal but didn’t stand out much other than that. Given his age, I was expecting more from him.

-- McAvoy was hard to get a read on because of how many penalties there were on Saturday. He seemed solid (including one beauty outlet pass to set up a breakaway) but the true test will come when main camp opens.

-- Lauzon was really active in jumping into the play…probably moreso than any other D. I don’t remember it translating into much of anything but it also didn’t hurt the B’s at all. Will be interesting to see if that continues for him in the AHL.

-- O’Gara was solid. He took a few too many penalties for my liking though.

-- Gryz was also solid. Some good rushes, good passes…pretty much what you would expect.

-- Zboril is maddening with his inconsistency. One play minute he’ll rock a guy with a check and make a nice pass to get the offense going…the next shift he’ll let a guy skate right by him to win a puck race and let the puck roll right off his stick for an unforced turnover. Overall, I would say he was more good than bad but until he keeps the fire lit for a full 60 minutes and minimizes the errors, I don’t know if he can be relied on in the NHL. Luckily, he has plenty of time to get it straightened out.

-- Senyshyn was by far the biggest disappointment. I didn’t see him really use his speed (aside from one rush that led to a chance in the slot for Fitzgerald but the pass was on his backhand). I don’t recall him having a single shot on goal in 3 games despite a good amount of time on the PP (if he did have a SOG, it wasn’t a scoring threat). He seemed to do a poor job of anticipating the play…there were a couple times today where the puck came near him in the o-zone and he just wasn’t ready for it and couldn’t make a play. He made a nice pass on Debrusk’s goal but that was literally the only highlight of his from the weekend. He did use his size well a few times to protect the puck in the o-zone but it didn't really lead to much offense. Given his age, pedigree, and the fact that the opposing D was pretty lax in this torunament, he should have shined in this type of setting and he simply did not at all. I will add my usual “small sample size†disclaimer and everyone said he would need time to develop when he was drafted and by all accounts, he has been…but this tournament did not make me optimistic that he’ll be much of a contributor this year in Providence.

This is a pretty good summary of what I saw as well. A couple differences of opinion:

I thought Heinen was best player/ most NHL ready. DeBrusk was right behind him.

Fitzgerald actually looked good to me.

Wasn't as impressed overall with JFK. Seemed to get scored on a lot for all he is talked up as a defensive player. Good news is he did produce fairly well and got much better as the tournament went on. Needs to gain strength before NHL though.

Zboril did have inconsistency as you mention, but overall had far more good moments than bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad