Post-Game Talk: Bruins prospects in Buffalo - Game 3 | BRUINS 9 Devils 3 FINAL

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Originally posted by BronxBruin
My thoughts from watching all 3 games of the prospect tourney:

-- Jake Debrusk looked the most NHL-ready to me. He oozes confidence and thinks the game one step ahead of everyone else. It seemed like every shift he was making smart plays and making things happen. His passing is underrated.

-- Heinen was typical Heinen…doesn’t really wow you and then the next thing you know, the puck is in the net. He deserves another look in the top 6 at some point soon to prove whether he can be a full-time NHLer.

-- Bjork wasn’t as electric as he often was in the NCAA but still showed how dangerous he can be offensively potting a few goals in two games. I’m interested in seeing how he does against pros…I don’t have him as a lock for Boston like some do but it wouldn’t surprise me if he looks even better when playing with more skilled guys.

-- JFK looked faster than I remember at BU. He showed a lot of good things at both ends of the ice. I’d like to see him protect the puck a little better…seemed to get knocked off his stick a little too easily a few times.

-- Studnicka was the biggest surprise for me. Good speed. Good skill. Good energy. I’ll be keeping an eye on how he progresses in the OHL this year.

-- Gabrielle was another real bright spot. The young Marchand comparisons are tempting but for every Marchand, there’s a Knight or Camara so I am tempering expectations until we see how he does against men.

-- Kuraly looked good. I really hope he secures a full-time spot in Boston this year.

-- Fitzgerald underwhelmed for the most part. He had a PP goal but didn’t stand out much other than that. Given his age, I was expecting more from him.

-- McAvoy was hard to get a read on because of how many penalties there were on Saturday. He seemed solid (including one beauty outlet pass to set up a breakaway) but the true test will come when main camp opens.

-- Lauzon was really active in jumping into the play…probably moreso than any other D. I don’t remember it translating into much of anything but it also didn’t hurt the B’s at all. Will be interesting to see if that continues for him in the AHL.

-- O’Gara was solid. He took a few too many penalties for my liking though.

-- Gryz was also solid. Some good rushes, good passes…pretty much what you would expect.

-- Zboril is maddening with his inconsistency. One play minute he’ll rock a guy with a check and make a nice pass to get the offense going…the next shift he’ll let a guy skate right by him to win a puck race and let the puck roll right off his stick for an unforced turnover. Overall, I would say he was more good than bad but until he keeps the fire lit for a full 60 minutes and minimizes the errors, I don’t know if he can be relied on in the NHL. Luckily, he has plenty of time to get it straightened out.

-- Senyshyn was by far the biggest disappointment. I didn’t see him really use his speed (aside from one rush that led to a chance in the slot for Fitzgerald but the pass was on his backhand). I don’t recall him having a single shot on goal in 3 games despite a good amount of time on the PP (if he did have a SOG, it wasn’t a scoring threat). He seemed to do a poor job of anticipating the play…there were a couple times today where the puck came near him in the o-zone and he just wasn’t ready for it and couldn’t make a play. He made a nice pass on Debrusk’s goal but that was literally the only highlight of his from the weekend. He did use his size well a few times to protect the puck in the o-zone but it didn't really lead to much offense. Given his age, pedigree, and the fact that the opposing D was pretty lax in this torunament, he should have shined in this type of setting and he simply did not at all. I will add my usual “small sample size†disclaimer and everyone said he would need time to develop when he was drafted and by all accounts, he has been…but this tournament did not make me optimistic that he’ll be much of a contributor this year in Providence.

Great observations.

I also was surprised at how good JFK looked at times. But he probably needs a full year in the AHL. Like Senyshen, but for entirely different reasons.

Zboril plays so much better with the puck on his stick than he does when the other team has it in his own end. He seems to lack that first step to close quickly enough on a shifty player along the boards. That, or he hasn't figured out the right positioning yet. But at this point he seems a little further along than Lauzon.

As much as I like Frederic, I agree with others that Studnicka looks like a real find. It will be interesting to see which of them has the better career. Koppanen showed some good stuff at times, too.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Great observations.

I also was surprised at how good JFK looked at times. But he probably needs a full year in the AHL. Like Senyshen, but for entirely different reasons.

Zboril plays so much better with the puck on his stick than he does when the other team has it in his own end. He seems to lack that first step to close quickly enough on a shifty player along the boards. That, or he hasn't figured out the right positioning yet. But at this point he seems a little further along than Lauzon.

As much as I like Frederic, I agree with others that Studnicka looks like a real find. It will be interesting to see which of them has the better career. Koppanen showed some good stuff at times, too.

Serious question, what does one have to do with another?

I like what I saw from Studnicka (the feeds were bad, so it was not easy to get a good read on players), but you can never have too many good C prospects.

Personally, I think Frederic is going to be a beast. He's listed at 6'2" 205, but looked bigger than that at Dev Camp (they have him listed at 212 on the USA WJSS roster). I am hoping that he gets an invite to Buffalo and we can see him against his peers from other countries.

I am also hoping that he, JFK, and Studnicka are the next generation of Boston centers.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Recap

Prospect challenge - all 3 games, my take (only saw about 2/3rds total due to stream problems or work)
They seem more like pickup games then anything with a structure but it can be a good gauge on who might be ready now.

Centers - 1 or 2 bottom 6 roles available today and possible top 6 role in a couple years
Studnicka - Speed, skill, 200' game. Probably the biggest impact in fans eyes. I'd expect him to go back to Oshawa for 1 more year since there are already a lot of bottom 6 centers on ELC vying for the spots. Would really have to impress to get the Bs to use his 1st year of ELC. May get a couple of games if this level of play continues into main camp and preseason games.
JFK - not overly fancy or really fast and likely needs a structure or system and high end players to really shine. I think he will be the main reason Studnicka goes back to Jrs. If the Bruins don't trade Spooner, it's likely JFK starts in the AHL which is fine. Expect him to get a full time NHL job at some point this year.
Kuraly - To me, the 4th line C is his to lose. Big, fast, and gets back on D. Nothing fancy from him but he could get 20 pts as a very good 4th liner.
Koppanen - Really big with straight line speed. He could be a bottom 6 center in a couple years. I'm not certain about his offense. Hopefully we get a feel for that with a full season in the Liiga.

RW - With Pasta unsigned, Backes is the only RW guaranteed a spot.
Heinen - Included here at RW because he plays both wings. He still plays small for a 6' guy but really shows some elite skill: shot; passing; hockey IQ. I think the biggest thing they wanted him to learn in the AHL (besides the system) is to play at pace. He did that in the AHL playoffs and in these games.
Bjork - Like Heinen plays both wings but Bs seem him as RW. Fast but seems small out there; I think he skates low for speed. Not afraid of contact and will engage to win board battles. A good complete winger. Most likely RW rookie for the Bruins.
Senyshyn - A+ speed is all I saw. He's big but doesn't seem to battle for pucks. 100% he will spend a full year in the AHL. Hopefully they can get his development back on track and turn him into an NHLer.
Fitzgerald - I thought he's a LW but they had him at RW. Looks small but ok. Nothing stood out good or bad. Likely another guy that should get a full AHL season.
Hickman - Showed some straight line speed in the 3rd game but not the edgework or start/stopping to get back into plays. He did get 2 goals over the 3 games. He could not handle the puck and continuously passed into his teammates skates or to opponents.

LW - 1 top 6 spot open if you can beat out Vatrano and Beleskey. 1 bottom 6 open.
Heinen - See above.
DeBrusk - Fast and showed willingness and IQ on defense. Great shot and speed. Battles for pucks. I think he will either make the team or be one of the last cuts. He and Heinen will compete for Krejci's LW slot and if Pasta holds out then both will make it as Heinen shifts over to RW.
Gabrielle - He came to play in these games. Looks like another 200' complete winger. I do question how much hockey IQ he has but that just might be teaching the Bruins system. Looks very coachable as he's done everything the Bruins have asked. His game is adaptable from 4th to 1st line. My guess is he starts the season in the AHL but could be finishing in the NHL.
Steen - Was good on the energy line with Kuraly and Gabrielle but otherwise didn't stand out. Back in Sweden for another SHL season.
Pare - Don't know why they drafted him.

Defense - maybe one LD open plus McAvoy taking one RD
McAvoy - He got in a game as a warmup for the preseason. Looks to continue his play from the playoffs. NHL now.
Johansson - I was convinced he was going to take that 3rd LD spot until the concussion--may still but have to see how severe an injury it was. Played excellent defense and started clean breakouts. Did not notice a lot of offense but steady and calm play. Likely AHL to start now but one of the first injury callups.
Grzelcyk - He's probably now the favorite for the 3rd LD. Fast, A+ passer, and clam play. Size is the biggest issue but if he can put up points and start breakouts they can compensate for him.
O'Gara - He is the guy I had the biggest expectations for and he let me down. He's big with good speed but I'm starting to question the hockey IQ. On D, I saw him chase people up to the blue line instead of handing them over to forwards. Not a great breakout passer and got picked off for quick counter attacks. I'd say it seems like tunnel vision where he just see's the one guy in front of him and not the whole ice. He did this in the NHL last year and I though they would have corrected it in the AHL but it seems not yet.
Zboril - Based upon the parts of the streams I was able to see, I really liked his game. Made some big hits, took the body along the boards, and made some very good reads. I noticed in today's game one play on the side of his net he sucked a guy in and took a big hit to make the play and did not retaliate with a dumb penalty. Bs had PP after. He'll be competing for that NHL job in camp. He seems like another complete D but we need to see him in preseason against regular NHLers.
Berglund - Really nice offense. I thought his D was much better today. He's got good speed and while he didn't mix it up he did compete along the boards nicely. I still think 2-3 years away and that puts him on the same timeline as Johansson from draft to AHL/NHL. I'm really starting to like these 7th round Swedish D picks.
Lauzon - He's really fast. He got back on D several times that I kept having to lookup 79 to see who that was. Big but didn't seem to use his size. Made some good judgements on when to go offensively but I'd say Zboril is better defensively right now. I'd think a full AHL season to work on the defense. With his size and speed he could be special in a couple years but it's not his time not just yet.
Clifton - Stood out on defense like Studnicka did on offense. I have no idea why Arizona didn't sign him. He needs a year to improve judgements on when to go and when not to but to see a dman with multiple breakaways per game tells you what you might just have.

Everyone else: meh

I could see BU's top D pair from 2 years ago being the Bruins bottom pair this year.
Grzelcyk - McAvoy

Also, at some point this year, I'd love to see the havoc this line creates.
Gabrielle - Kuraly - Acciari

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Anders Bjork might be a very good fit with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand.
I agree with you, was at the game on Saturday and Bjork's speed and skill was very noticeable.
He was the only Bruin forward that looked NHL ready to me.
I think he is a "shoe in" to make the team, not sure what line yet, but he should be on the team, assuming he has a great training camp.

pisele

Jan 9, 2017
California
Thank you for the summaries of these games. Was not able to see these games due to my schedule, but it sounds as if the feed was hard to deal with anyways.

Just a short comment. The one thing that sticks out to me (in these reviews) are Heinen and DeBrusk. The year they spent in the AHL last season seems to be benefitting them tremendously. They worked under professional coaches and training staffs and learned how to be professionals. Heinen with a hat trick today? Really not surprised. He produced last year, especially in the AHL playoffs. DeBrusk got better and better as the year went on as well. These 2 are probably most in the running for roster spots. Sweeney knows what he has with these two.

At Forward, the dark horse may be Bjork, with his skill set. It seems however that Bjork may need to get stronger just as Pasta had to after his first year. Others like Senyshyn, JFK etc. would do well to get some AHL experience. They will get stronger and faster. Maybe some of these players will get the injury call? Gabrielle could be in the mix at some point as well?

On D, McAvoy is clearly a freak. I believe he is going to end up being real good. On the McAvoy bandwagon and feel that he was a brilliant pick at #14.

Seems like Zboril has a lot of potential, but needs some seasoning in Providence. Let us not forget that Defenseman take time. Longer than Forwards. Cheers!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank you for the summaries of these games. Was not able to see these games due to my schedule, but it sounds as if the feed was hard to deal with anyways.

Just a short comment. The one thing that sticks out to me (in these reviews) are Heinen and DeBrusk. The year they spent in the AHL last season seems to be benefitting them tremendously. They worked under professional coaches and training staffs and learned how to be professionals. Heinen with a hat trick today? Really not surprised. He produced last year, especially in the AHL playoffs. DeBrusk got better and better as the year went on as well. These 2 are probably most in the running for roster spots. Sweeney knows what he has with these two.

At Forward, the dark horse may be Bjork, with his skill set. It seems however that Bjork may need to get stronger just as Pasta had to after his first year. Others like Senyshyn, JFK etc. would do well to get some AHL experience. They will get stronger and faster. Maybe some of these players will get the injury call? Gabrielle could be in the mix at some point as well?

On D, McAvoy is clearly a freak. I believe he is going to end up being real good. On the McAvoy bandwagon and feel that he was a brilliant pick at #14.

Seems like Zboril has a lot of potential, but needs some seasoning in Providence. Let us not forget that Defenseman take time. Longer than Forwards. Cheers!
Very well said

Agree on the AHL experience- sum up in one word: growth.

Boston having such an elite top line and veteran players on other spots gives the younger players breaking in a chance to watch great players how they prepare and handle ups and downs. The pressure is not as intense with that group in the room

Ideal situation

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Great point about the AHL. Now we have to hope that guys like Zboril, Lauzon, Senyshyn, etc. all have the same kind of growth. Have to feel really good about these young guys going forward, and I for one hope to see them sooner rather than later.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Are there highlights of the Gabrielle assist and goal?

Yup. He had both Game Winning Goals in this Tournament. (and I believe, for what it's worth, the Bruins won the tournament.)

On this one he grabs a loose puck in the slot, steps up and wires it home

on the assist, this gif catches the very tail end of his part of it, but basically won the battle along the wall and fired it up to Studnicka, springing him for the breakaway

Pretty solid weekend for Gabes. Does what he does. Was a pest all weekend and makes an impact in all 3 zones, putting up points, including clutch points, without benefit of prime ice or PP.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yup. He had both Game Winning Goals in this Tournament. (and I believe, for what it's worth, the Bruins won the tournament.)

On this one he grabs a loose puck in the slot, steps up and wires it home

on the assist, this gif catches the very tail end of his part of it, but basically won the battle along the wall and fired it up to Studnicka, springing him for the breakaway

Pretty solid weekend for Gabes. Does what he does. Was a pest all weekend and makes an impact in all 3 zones, putting up points, including clutch points, without benefit of prime ice or PP.

Beautiful. Very excited for his season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Prospect challenge - all 3 games, my take (only saw about 2/3rds total due to stream problems or work)
They seem more like pickup games then anything with a structure but it can be a good gauge on who might be ready now.

Studnicka - Speed, skill, 200' game. Probably the biggest impact in fans eyes. I'd expect him to go back to Oshawa for 1 more year since there are already a lot of bottom 6 centers on ELC vying for the spots. Would really have to impress to get the Bs to use his 1st year of ELC. May get a couple of games if this level of play continues into main camp and preseason games.

JFK - not overly fancy or really fast and likely needs a structure or system and high end players to really shine. I think he will be the main reason Studnicka goes back to Jrs. If the Bruins don't trade Spooner, it's likely JFK starts in the AHL which is fine. Expect him to get a full time NHL job at some point this year.

Senyshyn - A+ speed is all I saw. He's big but doesn't seem to battle for pucks. 100% he will spend a full year in the AHL. Hopefully they can get his development back on track and turn him into an NHLer.

Grzelcyk - He's probably now the favorite for the 3rd LD. Fast, A+ passer, and clam play. Size is the biggest issue but if he can put up points and start breakouts they can compensate for him.

O'Gara - He is the guy I had the biggest expectations for and he let me down. He's big with good speed but I'm starting to question the hockey IQ. On D, I saw him chase people up to the blue line instead of handing them over to forwards. Not a great breakout passer and got picked off for quick counter attacks. I'd say it seems like tunnel vision where he just see's the one guy in front of him and not the whole ice. He did this in the NHL last year and I though they would have corrected it in the AHL but it seems not yet.

I could see BU's top D pair from 2 years ago being the Bruins bottom pair this year.
Grzelcyk - McAvoy

Appreciate the effort, but going to disagree on a few of these.

I don't see any way that Studnicka gets any NHL games this year. Let him go back to Junior and continue to improve his game.

I have no idea what your comments about JFK mean? He looks to me not so much like a guy that needs elite talent around him as a guy that makes players around him better.

Not sure why you think that Senyshyn's development needs to "get back on track"? In his draft year he was a 3rd liner with potential. In the subsequent two seasons he scored 40+ goals in each season (87 total) and this year he equaled his point total from last year in 7 less games. This year he needs to get some experience playing against men in a pro league. How should his development have gone exactly?

I like Grizz, but given his similarities to Krug, not sure the two of them will ever be on the roster at the same time.

I'm about 180 degrees from you on ROG. I think if anyone grabs a 3rd pair spot from McQ and Miller it will be O'Gara and not Grizz. In watching him, I think he's a poor man's version of Carlo (but not that poor). He's a good decision maker, moves pretty well, and he makes a nice outlet pass.

I can't see Miller or McQ in the Top 4 over McAvoy, who needs to ride shotgun with Z this year like Carlo did last season.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

I don't see any way that Studnicka gets any NHL games this year. Let him go back to Junior and continue to improve his game.

I have no idea what your comments about JFK mean? He looks to me not so much like a guy that needs elite talent around him as a guy that makes players around him better.

Not sure why you think that Senyshyn's development needs to "get back on track"? In his draft year he was a 3rd liner with potential. In the subsequent two seasons he scored 40+ goals in each season (87 total) and this year he equaled his point total from last year in 7 less games. This year he needs to get some experience playing against men in a pro league. How should his development have gone exactly?

I like Grizz, but given his similarities to Krug, not sure the two of them will ever be on the roster at the same time.

I'm about 180 degrees from you on ROG. I think if anyone grabs a 3rd pair spot from McQ and Miller it will be O'Gara and not Grizz. In watching him, I think he's a poor man's version of Carlo (but not that poor). He's a good decision maker, moves pretty well, and he makes a nice outlet pass.

I can't see Miller or McQ in the Top 4 over McAvoy, who needs to ride shotgun with Z this year like Carlo did last season.

Gone from a 25 goals scorer from the 3rd/4th line to a 45 goals scorer from the 1st line (more opportunity=more result?!?, couldn't improve his number in his 2nd season as a 1st liner. The guy is a pts per game ohler who could never do anything in the playoff. He was bigger than most, much faster than anyone, but still couldn't "dominate" and that bring us to his biggest flaw, his feel for the game. It hasn't evolve much in the last two year and that's defenetly concerning imho. So I could totally see why someone would think he has stalled in his developpement. In the AHL he won't be bigger than others and more will be able to skate well enough to counter him. He will need to find a way to create offense outside of his one move, wish he could have figure this out at the level below, it will be hard now ...

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Grzelcyk - McAvoy

Sorry, but that would be a just awful nhl pairing this year

Take you 19 year old future franchise defenseman and put him in a position where he has to carry 100% of the physical load for his pairing as well as make him be the more defensively reliable member of the pairing

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
While I agree with those lines, something tells me DeBrusk will end up somewhere in the top-9.

I think so, too. Maybe the following:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen (Eriksson-lite)-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Spooner-Backes

I could see Bjork, Heinen and Debrusk all outperforming Vatrano (and Agostino) at camp and winning spots. That would be three rookies in the top nine, however, which may not be realistic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

As it stands right now, any D who knocks McQuaid or Kevan out of the line-up will need to be able to kill penalties. Krug doesn't do it, and for the time being it's assumed McAvoy won't either, but that could change as we move forward.

So it won't be Gryz, O'Gara is by far the safest bet of all the prospect D to make the team out of camp, given his age, the fact he broke camp last year, and his skill-set. If it wasn't for the fact the Bruins were very healthy last year on D, we probably see more of O'Gara in Boston.

If O'Gara doesn't break camp, it's mostly just a numbers game and the fact he can be sent down without clearing waivers. He will likely be first-call up if any of Chara/Carlo/Miller/McQuaid go down.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Gone from a 25 goals scorer from the 3rd/4th line to a 45 goals scorer from the 1st line (more opportunity=more result?!?, couldn't improve his number in his 2nd season as a 1st liner. The guy is a pts per game ohler who could never do anything in the playoff. He was bigger than most, much faster than anyone, but still couldn't "dominate" and that bring us to his biggest flaw, his feel for the game. It hasn't evolve much in the last two year and that's defenetly concerning imho. So I could totally see why someone would think he has stalled in his developpement. In the AHL he won't be bigger than others and more will be able to skate well enough to counter him. He will need to find a way to create offense outside of his one move, wish he could have figure this out at the level below, it will be hard now ...

You have had an issue with the Senyshyn pick since Day 1. The kid could sh** gold bricks while he was scoring 40 and it wouldn't be enough for you.

Over the last two years in the OHL, the only guy that I know of that has scored more goals is DeBrincat. Senyshyn's ppg numbers did go up this year as he had the same production in seven less games. His goal scoring went from 45 to 42 (huge drop), but in your haste to blame this on stunted development, did you even look at the team around him?

In 15/16 when he scored 45 goals, SSM's next closest goal scorers were Speers and Guertler with 26 each and Katchouk with 24.

In 16/17 Senyshyn still led SSM in goals with 42, but the Hounds also had Katchouk with 35, Gettinger with 31, Kopacka with 30, MacIntyre with 28, and three others in the low 20's.

Do you think that maybe Senyshyn had more help with him this year, so he didn't have to shoulder the scoring load all by himself? No? Because that might require something other than a torch and a pitchfork? The guy I watched at Dev Camp was dominant (as he should be) and while he probably does need some time in the AHL to work on the defensive aspects of his game, don't kid yourself, he's still going to be bigger and faster than most guys, and it's not a bad thing.

If Senyshyn spends a year in the AHL and comes out looking like Heinen and DeBrusk after the season, I would have zero issues with his "development".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad