Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So, because they are both LHD and roughly the same size (and D first supposedly) that means they are the same player?

Off the top of my head, Nik Hjalmarsson and Cam Fowler are both LHD that are roughly 6-1/6-2, 200 pounds, and solid defensively. Would you say they are the same player?

Vaakanainen and Zboril are two of the smoothest, most effortless skaters I have ever seen live. Arnesson is not a bad skater, but he is not in the same class. The next thing you need to look at is the mentality of the player. In my viewings of Arnesson, he showed zero willingness to jump into the play, regardless of his skating ability. Now, that could have been due in part to his youth and desire to not make mistakes on the defensive end, but it looked like it went deeper than that.

UV is definitely capable of jumping into the play. He certainly has the physical skills, so the only thing that remains is the mental part. From video I have seen, he appears to be attempting to get more involved offensively and the comments in the above article seems to bear that out. It’s just a matter of him getting comfortable enough with his defensive game in NA that he feels good about jumping into the play.

(Not to get off topic, but I think Carlo is in this category and capable of adding a lot more offense to his game. He has the skating ability to jump into the play. I think we didn’t see more of it because Krug was the offensive guy on the pair. When Krug and McAvoy were hurt, we got a glimpse of Carlo’s offensive ability)

All I said was at the time uv was drafted I was reminded of arnesson. based on the fact that they were the same size the same shot and both had similar strengths and weaknesses. Arnesson and UV were both (at draft time) considered defense first dmen who were strong skaters, made good outlet passes and had less devoloped offensive games. Now maybe UV at the time was markedly better than arnesson at skating. I wouldn’t have known that because all it says under strengths for both guys is “strong skater.” Maybe vaakananien is a stronger skater. Maybe arnesson and UV have bad shots but arnesson is worse. Maybe UV makes a better first pass. All I was saying was that they had similar profiles. Arnesson is a poor mans vaakananien.

I didn’t see arnesson play outside of WJC, I didn’t see UV play outside of WJC. So I can’t really know for sure how close they are. I was just saying UV reminded me of arnesson at the time of the draft because of those things. I don’t think that’s crazy

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
All I said was at the time uv was drafted I was reminded of arnesson. based on the fact that they were the same size the same shot and both had similar strengths and weaknesses. Arnesson and UV were both (at draft time) considered defense first dmen who were strong skaters, made good outlet passes and had less devoloped offensive games. Now maybe UV at the time was markedly better than arnesson at skating. I wouldn’t have known that because all it says under strengths for both guys is “strong skater.” Maybe vaakananien is a stronger skater. Maybe arnesson and UV have bad shots but arnesson is worse. Maybe UV makes a better first pass. All I was saying was that they had similar profiles. Arnesson is a poor mans vaakananien.

I didn’t see arnesson play outside of WJC, I didn’t see UV play outside of WJC. So I can’t really know for sure how close they are. I was just saying UV reminded me of arnesson at the time of the draft because of those things. I don’t think that’s crazy

That’s not what you said, but sure.

Every prospect is different. Skill set, motivation, mental makeup, development path, hockey IQ.

I don’t understand the obsession with comparing one to another.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
That’s not what you said, but sure.

Every prospect is different. Skill set, motivation, mental makeup, development path, hockey IQ.

I don’t understand the obsession with comparing one to another.

“And if I remember his profile correctly you’ve kind of nailed it. Strong defensive player and strong skater with a good outlet pass. Not particularly offensive minded. When the bruins drafted vaakananien I instantly thought of arnesson. But maybe vaakananien is just better at all the things arnesson is good at?“

Was my original statement. I get the 2nd half of what you said maybe being different between the 2 guys I just took offense to someone saying they were nothing a like when they have some pretty uncanny similarities as far as strengths and weaknesses go. Not in terms of overall talent.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I can see Montecristo's point about the similarities between the two players. Here's hoping UV adapts a little better and can eventually find a spot on the Bruins defense.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
what are the chances he can crack the lineup next season? I mean he is playing against the big boys in the Finnish Elite ...

There are a few factors to consider, like:
-Do the Bruins pick up a LHD via free agency? I don't see many obvious fits for the Bruins in this crop of UFA's, but you never know.
-Do the Bruins pick up a LHD via trade prior to training camp? If so, they probably sent one of their own D the other way...
-Do the Bruins move any of the roster D to secure picks in the 2018 draft? I doubt they use roster players to secure picks...they will most likely use prospects, but again, you never know.
-Or do they stand pat and try to upgrade the position internally.

If the Bruins make some kind of move for a proven LHD, I do not think a full-time spot will be available for any of the young D this year. Even if one of Urho, Zboril, Lauzon, etc...really impressed in camp, I think they could all use marquis time in Providence.

Regardless, I suspect Sweeney and co will take a very long look at each of the D prospects from training camp through pre-season. It is true that Urho has played against men in Liga, but so have Zboril and Lauzon in the AHL. Those players are also a full year older than Urho, so while I wouldn't be totally surprised if he impressed and cracked the opening roster...I think it also depends on how Zboril and Lauzon look.

I, personally, would like to see the Bruins secure another 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft...but only if they are able to send young prospects who are buried on the depth chart. I would prefer not to move a guy like Grzelcyk (in a package) for anything other than an upgrade at LHD.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Everyone keeps talking about Vaak as LD because he shoots left-handed but every highlight I've seen from him, he's playing RD. Can someone in Finland confirm what side he's on?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Everyone keeps talking about Vaak as LD because he shoots left-handed but every highlight I've seen from him, he's playing RD. Can someone in Finland confirm what side he's on?

I've seen the same said of Dahlin as well, maybe it's just a different coaching quirk over in Europe?

I'd say even if he is playing full-time RD, that's arguably more impressive.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've just watched a bunch of clips and he is indeed playing on the right side in them. They are all from his pre-draft time, though.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Guessing on my part, but did his Finnish teams have enough RD? It might be the same situation as Providence where they had Zboril play some RD last year because they did not have enough right shot D. I think they also wanted Zboril to play some top minutes against better opponents.

The NHL Bruins are one of the few teams at any level to have more RD (4-5) the last couple years vs LD (3-4). At the prospect level, it's something like 8-2, LD-RD.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The team has one right-handed defenseman.

Really, most teams in Liiga have very few players who play with their stick on the right side. Him playing as RD doesn't mean anything, nor does it mean that he would be playing as RD in NHL. However, it does mean that he is comfortable with that as well, which could be useful on the power play for instance(Not that I consider him to be the power play type).

Reactions: Strafer and 00BW

joujou

Jul 23, 2017

He played mostly on left side with Brett Carson on right, but When Carson injured he moved to RD. SaiPa had last season 2 right-handed defenseman, so atleast one left played RD all season.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme

Really, most teams in Liiga have very few players who play with their stick on the right side. Him playing as RD doesn't mean anything, nor does it mean that he would be playing as RD in NHL. However, it does mean that he is comfortable with that as well, which could be useful on the power play for instance(Not that I consider him to be the power play type).

Thanks for the info! Regarding the usage of players on their "right" or "off hand" in Liiga, is that more of a strange coincidence, or is that more of a philosophy to have the players more versatile, if you happen to know....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

He played mostly on left side with Brett Carson on right, but When Carson injured he moved to RD. SaiPa had last season 2 right-handed defenseman, so atleast one left played RD all season.

What do you guys think of him? NHL readiness? Ceiling? Floor? Offensive game?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

...but he also played RD for years before Saipa

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
...but he also played RD for years before Saipa

It appears that the Bruins have him penciled in on the left side, and they would know if he could play there?

Not always the case with F’s, but with the vast majority of D, if they can play their off side, they can play their natural side as well.

I liken it to women and hair. Not all women who look good with long hair can pull off a short hairdo...but almost all women who look good with short hair can make long hair work as well ;)

Reactions: BruinDust and bme44

BruinsNetwork

For what it’s worth, Vaakanainen does play the right-side as well. However, he looks best on the left-side and the Bruins really like their LHD-RHD combinations so that’s where you will be seeing him if he makes it one day— especially with McAvoy & Carlo at 1RD and 2RD.

Vaakanainen is good on the right-side though. His breakouts & passing have a significant drop-off, of course, but he’s steady.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It appears that the Bruins have him penciled in on the left side, and they would know if he could play there?

Not always the case with F’s, but with the vast majority of D, if they can play their off side, they can play their natural side as well.

I liken it to women and hair. Not all women who look good with long hair can pull off a short hairdo...but almost all women who look good with short hair can make long hair work as well ;)

Watch Behind the B in the episode where he gets drafted and tell me which side they have him pencilled on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad