Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
If Cehlarik + 57 (2nd Round) could move you up into the early 2nd round, 32-40 range, would you do that?
If Sweeney feels like he has to "de-bunch" his group of prospects to have a more regular flow of incoming talents, and also see a special kid early in the second, yeah, he could pounce on day 2 of the draft.
Obviously, it all depends on one's evaluation of Cehlarik.

I would prefer for him to bundle some prospects to get a player (already in the NHL or very very near):
1- that is a surer bet than what they already have in the pipeline
and
2- that might help the big club next year or at the very worst the year after.

Easier said than done, but I hope he's not just sitting there admiring his bunch of puppies (he's obviously not doing that :laugh:).

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For the hockey sages who have forgotten more than I’ll know:

I see a repeated trend of moving the prospects and I’m trying to decipher why:

Is it a case of diminishing assets and not being able to develop all these kids properly before wasting them
OR
The ability to push off some of the impact of kids all hitting their stride /peaks at the same time
OR
Is this first round THAT damn good that we’d rather move on from what we know and have already vetted and put cashola into development and system knowledge.

It seems like some combo of all three w maybe the emphasis on the last one?

Is there a reason a prospect in this draft (short of the top guys) is that much better than either a) the solid pool we have or b) better than an immediate impact where the pro roster needs it (thinking alt use of resource here)

Thanks

Not in the hockey sage category, but one reason to move a prospect or a prospect and a pick for a player in this draft (besides liking the draftee more than the current prospect) is to spread the prospects out.

If Sweeney thinks he has too many prospects at the same stages of development, and not enough spots for all of them, that would be one reason to move a guy that’s closer to the NHL.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
In hindsight, it was kinda dumb to move a pick at the deadline but not because it didn't work. I think it was a risk worth taking. What they should have done was move prospects because there is a real glut and there's a risk some good ones are lost on waivers. The Bruins pipeline looks lumpy right now and now there's the problem of flipping prospects for a pick, in order to smooth it out. Then again, it's not like the Rangers didn't have their own priorities.

They directly asked for Donato in the Nash deal. Would you rather have a 1st rd pick in this draft at the very bottom of the round or Donato?

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Not in the hockey sage category, but one reason to move a prospect or a prospect and a pick for a player in this draft (besides liking the draftee more than the current prospect) is to spread the prospects out.

If Sweeney thinks he has too many prospects at the same stages of development, and not enough spots for all of them, that would be one reason to move a guy that’s closer to the NHL.

You most definitely are not in the hockey sage category. Damn I am so pleased to see you say that for all the grief I took rebuilding a burning turd of a team in our sim league. hope all is well GD and keep my team alive I actually am on the road to possibly not having to be hospital bound every winter and yes it is hell. I want my freedom back.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Isn't it a little disingenuous to frame this conversation in the context of hindsight? Would be different if people weren't calling the names of these other players before and during the draft.

To me (and why I'm not at all upset about the guys we missed) I'd rather the Bruins stick to their strategy. Their board and what they value. Barzal may not have fit into that, but there is an avalanche of prospects in our system that DO and guys in Boston who are already killing it. By virtue of their convictions, they may have missed on someone like Connor, but they've hit in countless other examples and forged the best system of young talent we've ever seen in Boston.

I much prefer where we are.

Good points too. Sometimes certain players just aren`t good fits for whatever reason. I need look no further at my own employment history, there have been many places that I wasn`t a great fit at when I thought I would be, loads of reasons behind why, then there`s some other restaurants/hotels I`ve worked at for long periods which the fit was great

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In hindsight, it was kinda dumb to move a pick at the deadline but not because it didn't work. I think it was a risk worth taking. What they should have done was move prospects because there is a real glut and there's a risk some good ones are lost on waivers. The Bruins pipeline looks lumpy right now and now there's the problem of flipping prospects for a pick, in order to smooth it out. Then again, it's not like the Rangers didn't have their own priorities.

They did move prospects, one in Lindgren the other was O`Gara who, in year 2, I would say is still a prospect

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I could see the Bruins moving one or two prospects to get into the 1st round. They have a ton of wings at the NHL or just about. They could trade one of them, say Cehlarik, for a pick in the 30s. If they don't need another LW right now, this lets the Bruins draft another high potential prospect to develop and be ready for the NHL by the time some of these rookies are due for their 2nd contract that they might not be able to afford.

With DeBrusk and Heinen NHL established, Donato and Bjork NHL bound this fall, and other LW prospects like Fitzgerald and Gabrielle at different stages of development, they can deal from this position of strength to keep the pipeline stocked.

Does a guy like Cehlarik get a return in the 30`s? I`m not so sure he does

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You most definitely are not in the hockey sage category. Damn I am so pleased to see you say that for all the grief I took rebuilding a burning turd of a team in our sim league. hope all is well GD and keep my team alive I actually am on the road to possibly not having to be hospital bound every winter and yes it is hell. I want my freedom back.

I said I was not a hockey sage, not that I was an idiot. Two different things :laugh:

I won the Cup last year in our SIM league, sold off most of my Top 6 (Skinner, Huberdeau, Simmons were a few) and my Top 4 D (Josi, Carlson, Hanifin, McDonagh) so that I could “spread the wealth” a little.

This year, my much younger team is leading the league with an .800 win percentage. The lack of veteran stability will likely cost me in the playoffs, but that’s ok.

Back on topic, I don’t think Cehlarik alone gets you a pick in the 30’s, unless there is a team that absolutely loves him. To get back into the first round it’s going to take a prospect and a pick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I said I was not a hockey sage, not that I was an idiot. Two different things :laugh:

I won the Cup last year in our SIM league, sold off most of my Top 6 (Skinner, Huberdeau, Simmons were a few) and my Top 4 D (Josi, Carlson, Hanifin, McDonagh) so that I could “spread the wealth” a little.

This year, my much younger team is leading the league with an .800 win percentage. The lack of veteran stability will likely cost me in the playoffs, but that’s ok.

Back on topic, I don’t think Cehlarik alone gets you a pick in the 30’s, unless there is a team that absolutely loves him. To get back into the first round it’s going to take a prospect and a pick.

Yup, your probably talking Cehlarik + the 2018 2nd rounder (in the 50s) to just get back into the 20s-30s of the 1st round.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
This, and the rumored ask for McD was said to have been DeBrusk, which was a non-starter for the B’s.

Very happy to hear the Bruins position on that. Playoffs only showed more how right they are about it being a non-starter. Kid has enough heart to go around.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think if that’s all it would take to jump 25 spots I’d do it in a second

Same.

Problem is you'd have to find a team in the 20-30s who like Cehlarik and are willing to move back about 30 spots.

Easier said than done. But I do believe it when we read that other teams are interested in Cehlarik.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think you combined my post and your reply?

At any rate, trading Cehlarik depends on the interest in him now vs the risk in keeping Cehlarik and having him get hurt or having an off year.

That decision is way above my pay grade :D

Reactions: ballofhate13

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Cehlarik + 57 (2nd Round) could move you up into the early 2nd round, 32-40 range, would you do that?

I would without question make this move. Cehlarik has talent but is largely unproven to this point. Considering the other players in the system looking for spots, I doubt that cehlarik will get much of an opportunity the next two seasons to really prove his worth here.

I think your suggestion of moving up to the 32-40 range is much more realistic than some of the other posters who think the 57th pick + cehlarik is going to get us into the 20-30 range. Seems rather high for a guy who is for the most part unproven despite his decent success in the AHL.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Does a guy like Cehlarik get a return in the 30`s? I`m not so sure he does

Other teams were calling the Bruins about Cehlarik and Grzelcyk at the trade deadline. Apparently they are still calling. I think it fair value and as others mentioned in this thread, you can add a bottom 2nd or early 3rd to this to move into the 20s.

If you think Jake Wise or Jay O'Brien can become a top 6 center after college, you can make this trade. You have an NHL ready wing prospect with no room for him and a need in 3-4 years of a top line center. Hopefully, two of the 3 centers already in system (JFK/Frederic/Studnika) can transition to the NHL in a top 6 role but it doesn't hurt to have backup options.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Other teams were calling the Bruins about Cehlarik and Grzelcyk at the trade deadline. Apparently they are still calling. I think it fair value and as others mentioned in this thread, you can add a bottom 2nd or early 3rd to this to move into the 20s.

If you think Jake Wise or Jay O'Brien can become a top 6 center after college, you can make this trade. You have an NHL ready wing prospect with no room for him and a need in 3-4 years of a top line center. Hopefully, two of the 3 centers already in system (JFK/Frederic/Studnika) can transition to the NHL in a top 6 role but it doesn't hurt to have backup options.

Don't like Grz being mentioned but I'm fine that someone may want to offer up something decent for Cehlarik. The Bruins absolutely hold the cards and should be able to make things happen this offseason in the trade market should they choose to. I still for one hope Krug is moved out to bring something significant back. I'm hopeful Sweeney is as high on Grz as most of us are.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would without question make this move. Cehlarik has talent but is largely unproven to this point. Considering the other players in the system looking for spots, I doubt that cehlarik will get much of an opportunity the next two seasons to really prove his worth here.

I think your suggestion of moving up to the 32-40 range is much more realistic than some of the other posters who think the 57th pick + cehlarik is going to get us into the 20-30 range. Seems rather high for a guy who is for the most part unproven despite his decent success in the AHL.

ALso, it's been brought up before, but if you make this kind of trade, you're acquiring someone who isn't NHL ready, right now, and you can space out that prospect depth. We have a lot of guys NHL ready, and not enough spots for them. If Cehlarik isn't used in a deal for a legit player, I'd be more than fine using him in a deal to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad