Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I wonder how stacked this upcoming development camp will be. We have already heard from Sweeney that Vaaka, Zboril will be attending. Guessing also Senyshyn, JFK, Frederic, Studnicka, Lauzon, Vladar will be there. To give Sweeney a better picture of what he needs to do next, to fill in the rest of the roster. Either a few of these youngsters have a shot to fight for a spot but he has to get more active on draft day, July 1st FA

Hoping at least a couple will stand out and is close to ready for the leagues

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wonder how stacked this upcoming development camp will be. We have already heard from Sweeney that Vaaka, Zboril will be attending. Guessing also Senyshyn, JFK, Frederic, Studnicka, Lauzon, Vladar will be there. To give Sweeney a better picture of what he needs to do next, to fill in the rest of the roster. Either a few of these youngsters have a shot to fight for a spot but he has to get more active on draft day, July 1st FA

I would guess that whomever they draft this year will be there as well?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sweeney came out and talked about Frederic growing an inch to 6'3" during last years camp conferences. That basically confirms the Combine numbers and states what his current size is. So I would be doubtful of the AHL heights listed. I have no problem rounding those 3/4" numbers up so Zboril is 6'1" at combine size and we can call DeBrusk 6'. Did Zboril also grow another inch? Did Senyshyn grow 2"? I'm doubtful.

With Senyshyn, I know he's been listed at that size for a couple of years now from several different sources.

Size seems to be a funny thing with these clubs. I've always wondered if sometimes they let them where skates when they measure them.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Camp will be fun . There are some spots available.

The hungriest Bear will win a spot.

Fingers crossed for Jessie Gabrielle.

Hopefully the prospects get in monster shape.

Does Gary Roberts still do his camp?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Camp will be fun . There are some spots available.

The hungriest Bear will win a spot.

Fingers crossed for Jessie Gabrielle.

Hopefully the prospects get in monster shape.

Does Gary Roberts still do his camp?

I think Gabrielle's best course of action would be to come into camp, get some looks, and go to the AHL to play top 9 minutes.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

I think they are all going to be there and have a shot to fight for a spot, as I doubt any of them has much value in a trade, just like Carlo had little to no value in the summer of 2016, and DeBrusk/Heinen/Donato had little to no value in the summer of 2017 (and we are all glad they didn't get traded). If a couple of the new guys show something in camp and exhibition games and there is a logjam at that position, then I might expect some deals once into the season.

The possible exception to this is Frederic, who we know teams have already expressed an interest in.....but I want him going NOWHERE. Big guy with hands, almost PPG in college as a teenager, who held his own in the AHL, and plays a position the Bruins need more than anything looking down the pike. He's at the top of my untouchable list.

Great position to be in. Maybe we're all spoiled with guys making such an impact in their first year the last couple of years, but I can't help but think there are going to be a couple more this year to add to the list. I do not miss Zach Hamill.

Reactions: rocketdan9

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yes.

The player’s 20th birthday must be in the year that the tournament ends.

Swayman’s 20th b-day is in Nov 2018.

This year’s WJC ends in Jan 2019.

No dice.

Almost Joe, but not exactly.

As long as you are 19 when the tournament begins, you are eligible.

Tournament begins December 26th, but you can turn 20 on December 27 and be eligible.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
JFC Joe, you did it again (old age does you better then me). I forgot 2015 https://www.gamebook.at/docs/160723_IIHF_Rule_Book_14_18_Section_1_Competition_Standards.pdf

On an unrelated topic, a couple of years ago you said you would get me a team in your SIM league. I hear I missed the draft this year. What's the hold up?

We have open teams if you want in.

And you were misinformed. You missed the trade deadline, but not the draft. We had to wait for the 17-18 player updates and started the season late. Our 2018 draft will likely be late July early August.

We are going over all of this in great detail, but I guarantee that at least one person (probably more) asks the question again before December.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Can you send me the info. I want the worst team there is

That shouldn’t be a problem :laugh:

One thing to keep in mind, the player ratings in the SIM are pretty good, but not always reflective of the real world. This is particularly true of young players. Sometimes it takes a year or two for the ratings to catch up.

I will send you the link, then you just need to register, and be approved.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Can’t wait to see Oskar Steen.

Wonder if we see Wiley Sherman (probably not)

Also curious to see if any of the younger, injured guys participate.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Can’t wait to see Oskar Steen.

Wonder if we see Wiley Sherman (probably not)

Also curious to see if any of the younger, injured guys participate.

I'm looking forward to hearing how he does, largely on the basis of your raving about him at last year's DC. Is he expected to return to Sweden or could he suit up for Providence?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm looking forward to hearing how he does, largely on the basis of your raving about him at last year's DC. Is he expected to return to Sweden or could he suit up for Providence?
Good question.

I want to say he goes back one more year but if he has a great camp I'm sure they'll entertain the thought of having him in Providence.

Dom/Joe anyone else with more knowledge on this?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good question.

I want to say he goes back one more year but if he has a great camp I'm sure they'll entertain the thought of having him in Providence.

Dom/Joe anyone else with more knowledge on this?

I’m really not sure?

I know he is under contract with Farjestad for 18/19, but there may be some sort of “out clause”. Personally, I don’t think there is any need to rush him over. The Bruins have a lot of youngsters in PRO already and the SHL is a pretty good league.

Steen is only 20, and this will be his 3rd year as a Pro in the SHL. At 18, he had 3 pts in 47 games, and last year at 19, he had 6 pts in 45 games. I would guess after his U20 performance and as he naturally matures, he could see a bigger role this year? That’s just common sense and not based on any insider info lol.

Last year I thought he was one of the most skilled players on the ice at Dev Camp and the B’s had some talented kids. His skating was awesome and his hands were unbelievable. There was a drill where they had to chip the puck over a thick rope that was extended snake-like the length of the ice, and he had no issues getting it over forehand and backhand and controlling it. That drill was a difficult one for the majority of the prospects, but not Steen.

He is small, but Elite Prospects has him listed at 5’9”, 187, which is a very similar to Marchand. If that weight is accurate, then he’s pretty solid. Even if he is prepared physically for the more physical brand of NA hockey, I still don’t think it would hurt to have him stay in Sweden for a year or two and play a more prominent role on Farjestad.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m really not sure?

I know he is under contract with Farjestad for 18/19, but there may be some sort of “out clause”. Personally, I don’t think there is any need to rush him over. The Bruins have a lot of youngsters in PRO already and the SHL is a pretty good league.

Steen is only 20, and this will be his 3rd year as a Pro in the SHL. At 18, he had 3 pts in 47 games, and last year at 19, he had 6 pts in 45 games. I would guess after his U20 performance and as he naturally matures, he could see a bigger role this year? That’s just common sense and not based on any insider info lol.

Last year I thought he was one of the most skilled players on the ice at Dev Camp and the B’s had some talented kids. His skating was awesome and his hands were unbelievable. There was a drill where they had to chip the puck over a thick rope that was extended snake-like the length of the ice, and he had no issues getting it over forehand and backhand and controlling it. That drill was a difficult one for the majority of the prospects, but not Steen.

He is small, but Elite Prospects has him listed at 5’9”, 187, which is a very similar to Marchand. If that weight is accurate, then he’s pretty solid. Even if he is prepared physically for the more physical brand of NA hockey, I still don’t think it would hurt to have him stay in Sweden for a year or two and play a more prominent role on Farjestad.
Thanks Joe!

I knew you'd know something.

No way he's 187 unless its deceptive like Marchand.

I hope we get some scrimmage time this year but with camp being shortened by 2 days, I'm not sure they will.

Based on what you've said, I see it going 50/50 but if he's not going to play on a regular basis in Providence, I'd rather him stay over in Sweden for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->