Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
ALso, it's been brought up before, but if you make this kind of trade, you're acquiring someone who isn't NHL ready, right now, and you can space out that prospect depth. We have a lot of guys NHL ready, and not enough spots for them. If Cehlarik isn't used in a deal for a legit player, I'd be more than fine using him in a deal to move up.

Oh I agree absolutely. I agreed with your assessment that cehlarik and the 57th pick would get us in the 32-40 range. I was just saying I don’t think that cehlarik and the 57th pick is getting us in the 20-30 range as some other people were suggesting previously.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Oh I agree absolutely. I agreed with your assessment that cehlarik and the 57th pick would get us in the 32-40 range. I was just saying I don’t think that cehlarik and the 57th pick is getting us in the 20-30 range as some other people were suggesting previously.

while I read the tweet on one of the pages that some teams showed interest in Cehlarik, I`m just not as convinced as some seem to be here that those other teams view him as a high end prospect who they`d be willing to give much up for

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Arnesson was not a guy I would have expected to come back. Supposedly a very strong defensive guy, but not much offense.

You can never have too many good Dmen.

Didn’t they have him playing the wing in providence towards the end of his time there? And if I remember his profile correctly you’ve kind of nailed it. Strong defensive player and strong skater with a good outlet pass. Not particularly offensive minded. When the bruins drafted vaakananien I instantly thought of arnesson. But maybe vaakananien is just better at all the things arnesson is good at? I hope so because Linus really couldn’t get it going in providence. It’s one thing to not have much offensive upside it’s another to be borderline invisible offensively which is what he was from a statistical point of view. Tough to get a look in Boston with so much defensive talent in the system when you aren’t giving any offensive production to the ahl. He’d have to be elite defensively for that to happen

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The gap in prospects once you get to this stage 20-40 isn't massive. Really it comes down to team preference at that point, most concencous by that point is out the window.

You need two things to make it work, a team who thinks they can still get the guys they are after with Boston's 2nd rounder, and also like Cehlarik enough to want to acquire him.

Tough to do, but this isn't like making trades on an Xbox where players and picks have a set absolute value.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The gap in prospects once you get to this stage 20-40 isn't massive. Really it comes down to team preference at that point, most concencous by that point is out the window.

You need two things to make it work, a team who thinks they can still get the guys they are after with Boston's 2nd rounder, and also like Cehlarik enough to want to acquire him.

Tough to do, but this isn't like making trades on an Xbox where players and picks have a set absolute value.

Teams with multiple 1st round picks will be the target to move up. Like many have stated the bruins have an abundance of ready NHL prospects and can afford to make a trade to move up. The bruins master plan with untaouchables and touchables is a giant ??? I Like that Don is in a position of strength. at this stage Nothing is forcing him to make a trade.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Teams with multiple 1st round picks will be the target to move up. Like many have stated the bruins have an abundance of ready NHL prospects and can afford to make a trade to move up. The bruins master plan with untaouchables and touchables is a giant ??? I Like that Don is in a position of strength. at this stage Nothing is forcing him to make a trade.

Well when it comes to his abundance of picks and prospects, he's really under no pressure to get back into the 1st round or even the early 2nd.

It will also depend on what guys they are targeting and if they start to slip a little bit in comparison to their own list.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinsNetwork

Didn’t they have him playing the wing in providence towards the end of his time there? And if I remember his profile correctly you’ve kind of nailed it. Strong defensive player and strong skater with a good outlet pass. Not particularly offensive minded. When the bruins drafted vaakananien I instantly thought of arnesson. But maybe vaakananien is just better at all the things arnesson is good at? I hope so because Linus really couldn’t get it going in providence. It’s one thing to not have much offensive upside it’s another to be borderline invisible offensively which is what he was from a statistical point of view. Tough to get a look in Boston with so much defensive talent in the system when you aren’t giving any offensive production to the ahl. He’d have to be elite defensively for that to happen

Those two players are nothing alike. Arnesson was a defensive, stay-at-home defender.

Vaakanainen is a defensive, puck-carrying defender.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Those two players are nothing alike. Arnesson was a defensive, stay-at-home defender.

Vaakanainen is a defensive, puck-carrying defender.

Their size is the same. They are both D first, left shot dmen. They both are strong skaters. Arnesson was noted for having a good first pass. Nothing a like is a little over the top. Maybe UV is a better skater with the puck. Is that it?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I never said picks have a set absolute value but teams definitely have a perceived higher value on picks in the 20-30 range than they do in the 32-40 range. Obivously the gap is less if it’s comparing say the 28th pick and 32nd.

I just don’t think there’s even a remote chance of cehlarik and the 57th pick getting us a first rounder in the mid 20s range. I even have a rough time seeing cehlarik and the 57th getting ya in the 32-35 range.

I was just saying I thought the 20-30 range some people were talking about was a pretty big stretch to move up roughly 30 spots in the draft for adding cehlarik. Much more realistic to move up 17-21 spots.

If I’m an opposing team with the 20-30th picks I’m not giving that up for cehlarik and the 57th. Simple as that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I never said picks have a set absolute value but teams definitely have a perceived higher value on picks in the 20-30 range than they do in the 32-40 range. Obivously the gap is less if it’s comparing say the 28th pick and 32nd.

I just don’t think there’s even a remote chance of cehlarik and the 57th pick getting us a first rounder in the mid 20s range. I even have a rough time seeing cehlarik and the 57th getting ya in the 32-35 range.

I was just saying I thought the 20-30 range some people were talking about was a pretty big stretch to move up roughly 30 spots in the draft for adding cehlarik. Much more realistic to move up 17-21 spots.

If I’m an opposing team with the 20-30th picks I’m not giving that up for cehlarik and the 57th. Simple as that.

based on the interest in cehlarik, i'd guess boston can get a 2nd round pick for him (not even needing to add
their own pick) - probably mid-round (45-55ish). agree they probably can't get into the 1st round with the
57/cehlarik, but not impossible (maybe 26-31 for what would be two 2nd rounders). IMO, he has more value
than you're assessing here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

A draft picks value is only relative to their opinions of the players who end up available at that selection. One team might really like the players available in those ranges, other teams might think the quality drops off and would be more willing to move the pick or shift down.

Now, we are in agreement that neither of us, if we owned say the 25th pick for example, would trade it for the 57th and Cehlarik.

But that doesn't mean there aren't GMs out there who both like Cehlarik and don't really value a pick in that range based on the players who may be availanble.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
based on the interest in cehlarik, i'd guess boston can get a 2nd round pick for him (not even needing to add
their own pick) - probably mid-round (45-55ish). agree they probably can't get into the 1st round with the
57/cehlarik, but not impossible (maybe 26-31 for what would be two 2nd rounders). IMO, he has more value
than you're assessing here.

Vatrano got a 3rd and he had more nhl success than cehlarik

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

it's not always about what a guy has done at the NHL level. if cehlarik has drawn a lot of interest as has been reported,
and people think he has top 9 upside, with his size/skill combo, my feeling is you could get a mid-2nd for him. IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Vatrano was also almost two years older and the Bruins had minimal flexibility as Vatrano needed waivers to be assigned to Providence, lowering his overall value.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s going to turn 23 in August I’m very cool with keeping him

There were games early on I went to he was the best player on the ice

If I’m Sweeney I’ve invested to much to deal him for a second rounder - he’s got a lot of talent

I think he’s frustrated on a few levels and got hurt but with that size, skill, youth in my world there are no losses to cut I want another half year at least to see where he is at

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
it's not always about what a guy has done at the NHL level. if cehlarik has drawn a lot of interest as has been reported,
and people think he has top 9 upside, with his size/skill combo, my feeling is you could get a mid-2nd for him. IMO.

All we know is that there was interest in cehlarik, what we don’t know is the value other teams had for him in terms of a trade to the extent of their interest. We have no clue if teams were offering 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds picks etc. that’s all for for speculation.

Teams with interest could have very easily have been offering a 3rd round pick for cehlarik and the bruins didn’t want to trade him for that. We have no clue the value tied to the interest of the player.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
All we know is that there was interest in cehlarik, what we don’t know is the value other teams had for him in terms of a trade to the extent of their interest. We have no clue if teams were offering 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds picks etc. that’s all for for speculation.

Teams with interest could have very easily have been offering a 3rd round pick for cehlarik and the bruins didn’t want to trade him for that. We have no clue the value tied to the interest of the player.

true, and you could be bang-on about that. just my opinion that he can fetch a 2nd rounder, so we'll see.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I agree with this. If they are going to move guys like Cehlarik at the draft, I would prefer it be to add 2nd and 3rd rounders not move around.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Their size is the same. They are both D first, left shot dmen. They both are strong skaters. Arnesson was noted for having a good first pass. Nothing a like is a little over the top. Maybe UV is a better skater with the puck. Is that it?

So, because they are both LHD and roughly the same size (and D first supposedly) that means they are the same player?

Off the top of my head, Nik Hjalmarsson and Cam Fowler are both LHD that are roughly 6-1/6-2, 200 pounds, and solid defensively. Would you say they are the same player?

Vaakanainen and Zboril are two of the smoothest, most effortless skaters I have ever seen live. Arnesson is not a bad skater, but he is not in the same class. The next thing you need to look at is the mentality of the player. In my viewings of Arnesson, he showed zero willingness to jump into the play, regardless of his skating ability. Now, that could have been due in part to his youth and desire to not make mistakes on the defensive end, but it looked like it went deeper than that.

UV is definitely capable of jumping into the play. He certainly has the physical skills, so the only thing that remains is the mental part. From video I have seen, he appears to be attempting to get more involved offensively and the comments in the above article seems to bear that out. It’s just a matter of him getting comfortable enough with his defensive game in NA that he feels good about jumping into the play.

(Not to get off topic, but I think Carlo is in this category and capable of adding a lot more offense to his game. He has the skating ability to jump into the play. I think we didn’t see more of it because Krug was the offensive guy on the pair. When Krug and McAvoy were hurt, we got a glimpse of Carlo’s offensive ability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad