Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can take a lot of things into consideration but at the end of the day the stats are the stats. Senyshyns situation changed, he is asked to play top minutes and yet he is even behind Boris Katchouk in scoring on the Greyhounds and this dude is right now #65 skater on Craig Buttons draft ranking for 2016. I'm glad you guys are relaxed because you seem to have seen him play and I sure hope he pans out. But for now I remain skeptical.
Again, I know that systems change, circumstances change and there is always more to the story - but this is a junior league, not a pro league, the post-draft trajectory should only point one way.

But what are the stats. Right now he is on a pace for a 33 goal season. He has played 1/3 of his season, let's let the year play out and see what he ends up with. He could still pick up the pace and shoot up to a 45 goal season, or continue on or even drop.

Good grief there are several Bruins prospects having good starts to the season, and some having poor, and some ok, but we are still so early in the season that one good weekend can change from a mediocre start to being well above last year's pace.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
But what are the stats. Right now he is on a pace for a 33 goal season. He has played 1/3 of his season, let's let the year play out and see what he ends up with. He could still pick up the pace and shoot up to a 45 goal season, or continue on or even drop.

Good grief there are several Bruins prospects having good starts to the season, and some having poor, and some ok, but we are still so early in the season that one good weekend can change from a mediocre start to being well above last year's pace.

This. 100%

It's exciting to have so many shiny new toys in the cupboard. Let's not be the kid who hates his G.I. Joe's just because his mom didn't get him the aircraft carrier.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I think it's not all about the numbers with senyshyn, at least as far as his NHL prospects are concerned. His plus tool is speed. If you are great skater and are adequate every where else, you can be a productive bottom 6 forward. I said it when he was drafted, best case he's a Chris kreider/max pacioretty clone, worst case he's dan paille. with other players its top 6 or bust. With SENYSHYN he has a skill set to translate up and down a lineup depending on his progression. he might be predicted to make the WJC roster simply based on his speed. That's a nice thing to have on the bench.

I had no idea his plus tool is speed. That makes me even more sad. Sounds like another Quinton Howden if he isn't producing big numbers. Sadly having watched Howden a ton back in the day I could 100 percent see him being a guy the current Bruins brass would love. Speed, works hard, decent hands no finish questionable tool box.

I'm going to quit posting (in this thread) since I haven't seen any of these guys play. I should make a point to go see Debrusk when he is back.

I will stand by my whole reasoning for coming to this thread. I want production and lots of it when you are playing junior against peers and expected to be a top 6 or top 4.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I had no idea his plus tool is speed. That makes me even more sad. Sounds like another Quinton Howden if he isn't producing big numbers. Sadly having watched Howden a ton back in the day I could 100 percent see him being a guy the current Bruins brass would love. Speed, works hard, decent hands no finish questionable tool box.

So you're saying let's wait and see before telling this kid to go pound sand?

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Senyshyn's stats don't measure up to what's expected of him, and he is therefore a bust.

On the bright side, Matt Grzelcyk has better stats at BU than Kevin Shattenkirk did, and therefore likely to be a better NHL player.

BigBadBruins63*

I'm going to quit posting (in this thread) since I haven't seen any of these guys play. I should make a point to go see Debrusk when he is back.

I will stand by my whole reasoning for coming to this thread. I want production and lots of it when you are playing junior against peers and expected to be a top 6 or top 4.

why are you commenting on someone you obviously have no clue about? Like :shakehead

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin

33 goals would suggest he is a Dan Paille in the making. Dan Paille was also a #20 draft pick with similar playing skills and stats (actually better point wise), where some said Senyshyn could go if we wouldn't have picked him. While historically speaking if he turns out this way it would make him an average pick for a #15, but average is not getting me excited, sorry.
Lets hope he explodes statistically over the course of the season, but if he doesn't - sorry, but I will laugh in every each of your faces who say stats don't matter, give him time. It's junior hockey, not the NHL. Every stiff is destroying it given time.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
why are you commenting on someone you obviously have no clue about? Like :shakehead

Because the other 1000 kids I've seen go thru the WHL and common sense says so like :shakehead

Just keep acting like Leafs fans that everyone is amazing. When is Justin Pogge gunna be the man?

I'm going to take my own advice from earlier and leave this thread. All it has showed me is I need to get out and watch more JR hockey again...

Last edited:

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Because the other 1000 kids I've seen go thru the WHL and common sense says so like :shakehead

Just keep acting like Leafs fans that everyone is amazing. When is Justin Pogge gunna be the man?

I'm going to take my own advice from earlier and leave this thread. All it has showed me is I need to get out and watch more JR hockey again...

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I am Bruins fan since 20 years, having a very hard time getting access to the games, watching them at unspeakable hours, I sure give a lot more effort into following the franchise as a casual north american fan - and of course the stats and reviews are my primal information access. I don't want our prospects to fail - but I don't like to be spoken down because I haven't seen a guy in the WHL live. Stats don't lie, especially junior stats, eyes do.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I normally stay out of this as I no longer watch much junior hockey ( I miss the Cornwall Royals, I'm sure some of you will remember them ) but I will say that although stats never tell the entire story there is some element of concern about development if a mid 1st rounder doesn't improve the next year. I'm not saying he hasn't because again I agree with the eye test. Having watched some great OHL'ers back in my day (Hawerchuk, Gilmour, Nolin to name a few) even if they weren't on the score sheet you couldn't help but watch them and know they were going to be great players

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The year after the Bruins drafted him, Wes Walz scored 140 points in 56 games in the WHL.

That's the thing. Everybody and their mother can put up big number in junior hockey (I know I'm pushing it) and almost all of them will never be able to do the same in the NHL. What people are saying is not if you're a high scorer in junior you will be one in the NHL, they say if you are not a high scorer in junior then you won't be one in the NHL. Totally different.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jordan Caron and Anthony Camara made the WJHC team, Seguin never did. Just saying.

Well to be fair, Seguin didn't make the team as 17 year old, because he was a breakout player that year. As an 18 year old the Bruins told Canada that they couldn't have him, so he would have made the team then

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I normally stay out of this as I no longer watch much junior hockey ( I miss the Cornwall Royals, I'm sure some of you will remember them ) but I will say that although stats never tell the entire story there is some element of concern about development if a mid 1st rounder doesn't improve the next year. I'm not saying he hasn't because again I agree with the eye test. Having watched some great OHL'ers back in my day (Hawerchuk, Gilmour, Nolin to name a few) even if they weren't on the score sheet you couldn't help but watch them and know they were going to be great players

I agree, which is why I take opinions from people who have never watched him play with a grain of salt. He could be doing a lot of good things with the Soo and not getting on the sheet.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I will stand by my whole reasoning for coming to this thread. I want production and lots of it when you are playing junior against peers and expected to be a top 6 or top 4

1) Sounds like a plan.

2) I apologize in advance if this wasn't you, but weren't you one of the guys that was bagging on DeBrusk this summer for not performing as well as his peers? Now that he's Mr Everything on SC (before the injury obviously) and averaging 1.43 ppg, do you still feel that way?

I mean...you are all about production, so you must like DeBrusk now?

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
1) Sounds like a plan.

2) I apologize in advance if this wasn't you, but weren't you one of the guys that was bagging on DeBrusk this summer for not performing as well as his peers? Now that he's Mr Everything on SC (before the injury obviously) and averaging 1.43 ppg, do you still feel that way?

I mean...you are all about production, so you must like DeBrusk now?

Breaking my own damn rule and posting again.

Yep that was me. Now if I had 100,000 to put on Debrusk or Synchysn, which one do you think it'd be on?!?!?

Is that wrong?!?

Having never seen either, one is passing the litmus test and the other isn't. That said Debrusk putting up 1.4 PPG doesn't guarantee success either but it sure as hell in my books makes it a higher possibility.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Breaking my own damn rule and posting again.

Yep that was me. Now if I had 100,000 to put on Debrusk or Synchysn, which one do you think it'd be on?!?!?

Is that wrong?!?

Having never seen either, one is passing the litmus test and the other isn't. That said Debrusk putting up 1.4 PPG doesn't guarantee success either but it sure as hell in my books makes it a higher possibility.

Senyshyn 2014/2015 - 20GP 5G 3A
Senyshyn 2015/2016 - 20GP 10G 5A

I'd say his development is heading in the right direction but if you want to compare stats from a 3rd year player to a 2nd year then go ahead. I don't know how many times I've read on here how we have to play kids and give them a chance to develop. If you don't believe that there is a difference, I have no idea what to tell you.

I wonder how many offensive zone starts DeBrusk gets compared to Senyshyn - you know, since Senyshyn gets a ton of defensive zone starts.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011

I'd say his development is heading in the right direction but if you want to compare stats from a 3rd year player to a 2nd year then go ahead. I don't know how many times I've read on here how we have to play kids and give them a chance to develop. If you don't believe that there is a difference, I have no idea what to tell you.

I wonder how many offensive zone starts DeBrusk gets compared to Senyshyn - you know, since Senyshyn gets a ton of defensive zone starts.

Could we please try to keep reason out of this conversation.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think when all is said and done the 2015 draft will be considered a sucessful one. Gabrielle, lauzon, and forsbacka karlsson have shown a lot of promise. carlo is a good bet to be an NHLer. VLADAR might be rasks successor. I'm not as high on the 1st rounders but if you get 3-4 positive contributors to an NHL roster from one draft that's a wildly sucessful one

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

I'm not here to argue with you Dom. I have read you like him and that is one of the only reasons I still hold out hope for him...

Maybe if I seen him live I'd like what I saw too but his stats from afar aren't taking the Lucic jump who was also a 2 year guy or Ben Pouliot or etc...

I know you can make a hundred cases of 2 vs 3 year guys too but from afar his production jump especially after reading how bad his IT/Role was last year I expected more. I know he is adjusting from being the nobody who produced to now having to produce against the other teams top guys but it looks like he is struggling so far?

Point is I'm not here to argue with you and love reading all your insight don't take anything I've said in this thread personal. I've to to get out to more WHL games cause I have had pretty good luck over the years with projections and insight when I do such things....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Missed Loui`s trick last night while attending the QMJHL v Russian selects. Sweeney`s boy Lauzon was a beast. Outside his goal (got Team QMJHL on the board first) and a few assists, played a heavier game than I recall seeing him play last year. Salivating over the potential this early morning in Halifax:)

If you`ve never been to this fair city, I invite you to come down, beautiful city, great hockey town. Just a guess but I`d wager between 6-7,000 for last night`s game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad