Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Speaking of the SHL, Linus Arnesson played over 26 minutes in Djurgardens' latest game and picked up an assist. Pretty impressive for a kid who just turned 20 a few weeks ago.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Some people were mad at the 2013 draft because it wasn't CHL centric. Look at them now, without a first round pick the Bruins got Arnesson and Cehlarik producing in the SHL already and even the 6th rounder Blidh is a full time SHL player as a 19 year old. Fitzgerald looks good too, Sherman is about to start at Harvard. Even Dempsey is producing in the weaker QMJHL.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Love this. Love this a lot, this is a guy to watch for sure.

If he can consistently improve his skating, man...we'll have a player.

Yeah he started of slow but has gotten a bigger role now and he has 6 points in his last 6 games!

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Cehlarik has started to heat up in SHL..... Scored a goal today!

Cehlarik is an exciting player... LOVED that pick, I think it'll play big dividends.

Guys like Jurco and Tatar have developed well for the Wings. Hopefully Cehlarik can join them. Like Griffith, a lot of his flack was for his skating. That's something that can be improved.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
looking at the SHL stats it looks like anton blidh is towards the top of the leaderboard in shots, blocked shots, and hits. seems to be all over the ice in the junior league in the SHL and definitely profiles as a 4th liner. Still hasn't registered a point but the numbers show that he is a hard working forward. cehlarik is another player doing well in the junior league putting up some points and arnesson is in the senior league currently 6th among all players in avg TOI. he's an all situation player. looks like a shoe in for a 2nd pairing guy, the seidenberg comparison is starting to ring true for him as well. still a long ways to go for all 3, but promising starts for the international prospects in the system.

as far as college goes, still very very early in the season but no real stand outs among bruins forwards. fitzgerald has been probably the most productive, but outside of him not much to look at. Heinen was shut out the other night playing for denver and colton hargrove suffered the same at wmu. grizz has had a solid start going against 2 tomato cans. remember when everyone was opining for the B's to sign oleg yevenko at development camp claiming he's the next Z? well he had a sparkling line of 0-0-0 -5 against BU, which in an 8-1 loss put him at the lowest (or highest depending on perspective) +/= on his team. crickets from yevenko supporters, he stinks. benning wasn't much better with the 0s and a -3 for NU. Who is zane mcintyre and what has he done with zane gothberg?? 4 goals allowed on 28 shots against, bemidji state, which I'm sure is a team people will say is better than their name but still. not a great game for the goalie formally known as gothberg as UND got crushed 5-1.

dempsey won't be anything regardless of his start in the Q. he's like 19-20 years old at this point and isn't tearing the league up even at 6-4 210. everyone that age and that size should dominate the Q. he was shut out tonight for st. johns.

pastrnak won't be with providence more than another week or two with his current start coupled with the bruins lack of scoring touch. definitely the top prospect in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have seen Yevenko many times and have not been overly impressed, but the B's saw something if they extended him an invite to DC. It could be they think that with some quality NHL coaching they can take advantage of the stuff that can't be taught (size/reach)?? At any rate, I would imagine that the Chara comparisons (at least by the sane posters) were strictly due to the size and Eastern Euro comparisons?

I think it's a foolish practice to try to assess propects based strictly on box scores, particularly goalies, and I will leave it at that.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
looking at the SHL stats it looks like anton blidh is towards the top of the leaderboard in shots, blocked shots, and hits. seems to be all over the ice in the junior league in the SHL and definitely profiles as a 4th liner. Still hasn't registered a point but the numbers show that he is a hard working forward. cehlarik is another player doing well in the junior league putting up some points and arnesson is in the senior league currently 6th among all players in avg TOI. he's an all situation player. looks like a shoe in for a 2nd pairing guy, the seidenberg comparison is starting to ring true for him as well. still a long ways to go for all 3, but promising starts for the international prospects in the system.

None of these prospects play in a junior league. They're all playing in the SHL.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
then why when I look up stats do none of their names pop up unless i set the bar for "junior."

Have no idea?

Blidh - Frolunda (SHL)
Cehlarik - Lulea (SHL)
Arnesson - Djurgarden (SHL)
Johansson - HV71 (SHL)

A couple of these kids were expected to play in junior leagues, but ended up playing with the big boys. Goes back to what I was saying about doing scouting reports based on stat sheets.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Have no idea?

Blidh - Frolunda (SHL)
Cehlarik - Lulea (SHL)
Arnesson - Djurgarden (SHL)
Johansson - HV71 (SHL)

A couple of these kids were expected to play in junior leagues, but ended up playing with the big boys. Goes back to what I was saying about doing scouting reports based on stat sheets.

Figured it out. Junior means rookie in Swedish hockey terminology. Arnesson isn't listed there since he played last year. I think you can tell a great deal from box scores. Time on ice indicates a players poise particularly on d and also a trust level from the coaching staff. Hits, blocked shots indicates a players intensity and compete level.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Figured it out. Junior means rookie in Swedish hockey terminology. Arnesson isn't listed there since he played last year. I think you can tell a great deal from box scores. Time on ice indicates a players poise particularly on d and also a trust level from the coaching staff. Hits, blocked shots indicates a players intensity and compete level.

Whatever floats your boat, but just going from the box scores, you didn't even know what league they played in. Not what I would call a sound system, and I would much rather listen to posters that have seen them play.

BTW, the posters who have been posting those, keep them coming please.

A Healthy Kelly*

"junior" just means rookie in swe basically

e; should've kept reading. sry

Ace88*

so it looks like that top line RW spot is wide open. Griffith got his chance, how did he look there? You think he'll stick? I know it's only one game lol but i saw he had a healthy amount of ice time. Is the feeling that the Bruins will try Pastrnak there if Griffith can't hack it?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
so it looks like that top line RW spot is wide open. Griffith got his chance, how did he look there? You think he'll stick? I know it's only one game lol but i saw he had a healthy amount of ice time. Is the feeling that the Bruins will try Pastrnak there if Griffith can't hack it?

Not sure about Griffith, he lost a lot of board battles. Big no no. He's not a first line player and it's highly unlikely he'll ever be. It'd be better to use him on the third line. He's DEFINITELY not a long-term solution. I still think Eriksson is the answer there, but they probably want to keep the Soderberg line together as they're the only line that's been consistent.

Depends on whether they send Pastrnak back to Sweden. He has 3 points in 2 games in Providence, he gets 9 in either league (combined? not sure) before a year of his contract is used. If they're planning on keeping him in Providence, he'll definitely get a chance sooner or later. Out of all of our prospects, none of which are 1st line ready obviously, he's the one with the best playstyle to at least cut it there.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure about Griffith, he lost a lot of board battles. Big no no. He's not a first line player and it's highly unlikely he'll ever be. It'd be better to use him on the third line. He's DEFINITELY not a long-term solution. I still think Eriksson is the answer there, but they probably want to keep the Soderberg line together as they're the only line that's been consistent.

Depends on whether they send Pastrnak back to Sweden. He has 3 points in 2 games in Providence, he gets 9 in either league (combined? not sure) before a year of his contract is used. If they're planning on keeping him in Providence, he'll definitely get a chance sooner or later. Out of all of our prospects, none of which are 1st line ready obviously, he's the one with the best playstyle to at least cut it there.

Actually, I believe because Pasta is a Euro his contract still slides if he's in the AHL, as long as he plays less than 9 games in the NHL. Pretty sure Brad (Brain of J) covered this in another thread?

As far Griffith goes, I don't think he's a first line player either. Third, maybe? Although at every level people have been saying he's not going to make it.

member 96824

Less than 10 games. He can play 9....but yeah it's just NHL. If he could find a way to play 100 AHL games, it would still be fine.

Which means he gets an extra year on his ELC before he's traded for not being good in the corners :naughty:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Less than 10 games. He can play 9....but yeah it's just NHL. If he could find a way to play 100 AHL games, it would still be fine.

Which means he gets an extra year on his ELC before he's traded for not being good in the corners :naughty:

Here we go :laugh:

Thanks for the confirmation.

As far as Griffith goes, I only watched the 3rd and have not checked out the DVR of the first two periods, but it seems that as the game got into crunch time, I saw less of Griff and more of Gagne? Griffith is definitely a skilled player, but he seems to be a bit of a perimeter guy? He's young and I'm not sure how fair it is to toss a guy with zero NHL experience up on the first line and then judge that. He seems like more of a 2nd-3rd line player if he can continue to improve. I noticed him chipping the puck in deep more when a play wasn't there, but he is going to have to be a little more assertive along the boards.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Campbell comes back. Do the B's keep Spooner up and send Griffith down, or do they keep Seth up and demote/trade Spooner? I don't see the point of keeping Griffith up if he's not skating in a Top 6 role, and I think that's where Gagne is going to end up from the looks of things.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here we go :laugh:

Thanks for the confirmation.

As far as Griffith goes, I only watched the 3rd and have not checked out the DVR of the first two periods, but it seems that as the game got into crunch time, I saw less of Griff and more of Gagne? Griffith is definitely a skilled player, but he seems to be a bit of a perimeter guy? He's young and I'm not sure how fair it is to toss a guy with zero NHL experience up on the first line and then judge that. He seems like more of a 2nd-3rd line player if he can continue to improve. I noticed him chipping the puck in deep more when a play wasn't there, but he is going to have to be a little more assertive along the boards.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Campbell comes back. Do the B's keep Spooner up and send Griffith down, or do they keep Seth up and demote/trade Spooner? I don't see the point of keeping Griffith up if he's not skating in a Top 6 role, and I think that's where Gagne is going to end up from the looks of things.

I'm sure Seth will take the experience and build on it - he's got high end hockey sense and hands; the pace of the game seemed a bit to much for him- same way it did when Soderberg came over. They skate 75 in the NHL and not 60 and you have to get up to speed or you get passed- literally.

This is Fraser problem as well. Cunningham can actually keep up he's just a bit undersized and doesn't have the shot of Fraser or the hands or high hockey IQ of Griffith- but he's still got a good package of offensive skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad