Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some NCAA guys

Ryan Fitzgerald got a goal in his second game as BC blew out RPI

Zane Gothberg came in relief in the first game (I think in 3rd period) made 5 stops for the win. In game 2 against Vermont he stopped 23/25 in a 2-2 tie

Colton Hargrove's Western Michigan was shut out their first 2 games

Matt Benning had a goal and 2 assists in his first game, and didn't score in game 2

Matt Grzelcyk was held scoreless in BU's first 2 games

Note for guys who didn't register stats, I can't actually confirm whether they played or not, all I saw was the boxscores

as far as I can tell Yale (O'Gara) and Cornell (Ferlin) haven't played yet

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Registered two solid hits in 2:58 of ice time. Hounded opponents on the forecheck/backcheck like a mad man, and agitated a bit. He loves to start ****.

Glad he got to play but he should be doing this in North America, he is an interesting prospect for sure

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I guess BC got a bit embarrassed that they lost the opener to Michigan. Tonight was a 9-2 over Wisconsin (following 7-2 Win over RPI last week). Ryan Fitzgerald with 2 more assists. He is going to score a lot of points with that insane BC offense

Gothberg picks up a 4-2 win with 33 saves

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Blidh loaned to Karlskrona in Allsvenskan for three games.

lol why?

He plays a North American style game already and he's probably better suited to doing that over here, when I viewed him at Prospects camp he was always looking for contact which is something most of our Euro's don't do, not saying they're soft but they don't go looking for it, he did and he enjoyed doing it while the rest looked uncomfortable, different styles for different players for sure

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
If anyone else is wondering where Mitchell Dempsey is, I found this article from about a week and a half ago.http://www.saultstar.com/2013/10/16/hounds-expect-more-from-dempsey

He can't crack the line up of a junior team. "Massive potential" or not, not a good sign that a NHL draft pick can't crack a junior line up as an 18 year old. Oh well

At least he's only a 7th round pick and not a first:) but ya I was not impressed with him at Prospect camp
BTW I believe he's related to Don Sweeney in some way...

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Peter Cehlarik has played eight games in 11 days in a stretch ending a couple days ago, :eek:

Lulea called him back up to the big club, played three games, no points. Still playing with Asplöven in the Allsvenskan as well, scored last game, 16 GP - 5 G - 8 A - 13 P on the season.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Just an FYI

Mitchell Dempsey has cleared OHL waivers and has been released by the Soo Greyhounds.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up somewhere in the Q, although he could find a home in Junior A, WHL, or the USHL too.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Just an FYI

Mitchell Dempsey has cleared OHL waivers and has been released by the Soo Greyhounds.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up somewhere in the Q, although he could find a home in Junior A, WHL, or the USHL too.

Yikes. I'm not one to play the could have drafted so and so game, but his Russian teammate Tolchinksy who was signed by Carolina as an undrafted free agent has sick skill. NHL drafted and released (and cleared waivers) by his OHL team for Dempsey, wow.

The Q could be good for him, they're always looking for size and snarl. Worked for Tye McGinn, was a fourth liner in the OHL and then went to the Q and became a scorer.

Last edited:

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Yikes. I'm not one to play the could have drafted so and so game, but his Russian teammate Tolchinksy who was signed by Carolina as an undrafted free agent has sick skill. NHL drafted and released (and cleared waivers) by his OHL team for Dempsey, wow.

The Q could be good for him, they're always looking for size and snarl. Worked for Tye McGinn, was a fourth liner in the OHL and then went to the Q and became a scorer.

I was hoping in the 7th round for Frankie DiChiara, who won the USHL Clark Cup championship for Dubuque with an OT goal.

Now with Yale. Posted an assist in his first NCAA game. Good kid, player. Struggles with his weight and heavy feet but that is overblown, IMO-- he's instinctive, driven and opportunistic.

Should've been drafted.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

They might get size with Mitchell but not much snarl. Big soft player. Hope he ends up some where and gets his head back into the game.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just an FYI

Joins Kitchener Dutchmen of the GOJHL.

Guess I'll see you at a Dutchmen/Cullitons game Brock !

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Update on two local B's prospects: Saw the BC/BU game tonight at Agganis. Ryan Fitzgerald had a nice assist on the Eagles fourth goal (BC won, 5-1). It was a tick-tac-toe with Kevin Hayes. Fitzgerald set Hayes up nicely for an easy goal.

Matt Grzelcyk didn't play well at all, especially after seeing his outstanding freshman season. He was a minus 3. I didn't see him in the warmups and wondered if he was injured. He took a regular shift on D but didn't look himself.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Our college players to date

Brian Ferlin - 4gp, 2/4/6
Ryan Fitzgerald - 7gp, 3/2/5
Matt Grzelcyk - 8gp - 1/2/3
Rob O'Garra - 4gp - 1/2/3
Matt Benning 8gp - 1/3/4
Colton Hargrove - 5gp - 3/2/5
Ben Sexton - 10gp - 1/8/9

Zane Gothberg - 2.79/91.0%

Nice to see Ferlin get off to a good start. Definitely a bit of a sophmore slump last year after some excitement from his freshmen year and development camop.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Any insight into the development of Colton Hargrove at Western Michigan? 9g 1a last year as a freshman in 32 games; this year thus far 3g 4a in 7 games.

The WMU website's video content is pretty poor...has anyone seen him play or have access to better video clips? Thanks.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Any insight into the development of Colton Hargrove at Western Michigan? 9g 1a last year as a freshman in 32 games; this year thus far 3g 4a in 7 games.

The WMU website's video content is pretty poor...has anyone seen him play or have access to better video clips? Thanks.

Have only seen Hargrove on film in both USHL and NCAA, but he's a hard-nosed forward with no frills- goes up and down the wing and crashes the net/gets greasy goals. Heavy feet, good hands in close.

Although I dislike comparisons, am comfortable saying he's like a poor man's Milan Lucic. We're talking dirt-poor here...but impressed with his early offensive surge as a sophomore. There may be a little more to this guy than originally thought. He'll need a lot of developmental time in both college and minors, but he's nasty. Not getting much chance to develop the pugilistic skills at WMU, but he's a tough kid- saw him drop the gloves a few times with the Fargo Force. He can go.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have only seen Hargrove on film in both USHL and NCAA, but he's a hard-nosed forward with no frills- goes up and down the wing and crashes the net/gets greasy goals. Heavy feet, good hands in close.

Although I dislike comparisons, am comfortable saying he's like a poor man's Milan Lucic. We're talking dirt-poor here...but impressed with his early offensive surge as a sophomore. There may be a little more to this guy than originally thought. He'll need a lot of developmental time in both college and minors, but he's nasty. Not getting much chance to develop the pugilistic skills at WMU, but he's a tough kid- saw him drop the gloves a few times with the Fargo Force. He can go.

Kirk how would you compare him to Camara? (just thinking of another guy who is considered a poor man's Lucic). Seems like he is a bigger player.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Kirk how would you compare him to Camara? (just thinking of another guy who is considered a poor man's Lucic). Seems like he is a bigger player.

Hargrove is bigger, stronger, and a better fighter. Not as good a skater or with the hands/potential upside Camara has. Neither player is a sure bet to make the Bruins one day either, fwiw, but full marks to both for bringing that physical edge with some scoring that the B's organization covets.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I see Cehlarik has now play 7 games in the SHL. What kind of role is he playing? Is he there to replace for an injury and going to return to Asploven or he's going to stay in 1st divison all year?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2013/prospect_reports/111413_Prospect_Report_Final.pdf

To head off anticipated questions based on what I've gotten on Twitter...

1. Yes, I think Fraser's scoring can translate in the NHL- he's a pure shooter with the hands and sense to do it at the highest level. In a world where skating tends to be the focus, he doesn't get enough credit for his stick and killer instinct when he has the puck in the offensive zone.

2. If you're asking if he'll do it in a Boston Bruins uniform, that's another question entirely. Time is not on his side...he is subject to waivers effective next year and his game/current style is not exactly conducive to playing a role on the bottom two lines. Not that he can't do it, but it's not setting conditions for success.

3. Fraser is not flashy...at all. You'll go long stretches where you barely notice him out there and wonder how it is he could have 80+ goals in just 2 and not even a quarter seasons. Then, in an instant, he'll jump on a loose puck and zip it into the net, or he'll make an unreal & complex play with less than 30 seconds left in a tight game and you suddenly start to get it.

I was not all that impressed with him when I first started attending Texas Stars games a year ago (and he started out in a slump- with just 2 goals in his first 10 games but many, many chances and hit posts before he went wild). However, he works hard despite a lack of speed and quick feet and is just one of those forwards who finds ways to score at crunch time. Cut Fraser/let him go at your peril...when he develops into a solid 25-30-goal player somewhere else, you'll be wondering "Why can't we get guys like that?"

Prospect development isn't fast food, so at age 23 and in just his third full pro season, his inability to crack an NHL roster isn't an indictment of Matt Fraser. Some fans always want to see players make an immediate impact (shiny new toy syndrome) and are too quick to fall in love with those with higher draft pedigrees or slick packages while writing off others who you have to understand the game and expend more energy watching closely to appreciate. However, the NHL is full of players who lack the dynamic skill set that jumps out at you, but are stars because they simply make plays (looking at you, David Krejci) and commit themselves to collective success at the expense of individual attention and accolades. Fraser is one of those anti-heroes who doesn't look all that great, but at the end of the night when you check the box score, he's tallied a couple of times and been a major player in the offensive end. Overall game needs work and he has to add a step, but question is- whether B's are willing to invest the roster spot/time to work out the kinks?

He's got his work cut out for him to make it in Boston, simply because he's the kind of player who needs a regular shift to make his presence/effectiveness known. You can't throw Fraser out there on the fourth line and expect much out of him...he'll hit and fight...if the situation warrants it, but after doing it a bit in junior breaking in with Kootenay, it's not really his thing (though he did drop the gloves with Manchester's Andrew Campbell this season).

He's an honest player who wants to make his bones in hockey by scoring and was a valued & respected teammate in Cedar Park.

Okay. That's pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad