BRUINS GDT Bruins - Poutineville Prospect Challenge - Sept 16, 3:30 EDT

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I've been a little disappointed in Merk through two games. I know the prospect challenge doesn't actually mean anything, but I was hoping that he'd see the opportunity in front of him if he does well in camp and treat these games as step 1 to doing that. But he's looked a little disinterested to me at times. Or maybe I'm just reading too far into games that don't matter, idk.
Hmmm ... I thought he was making things happen yesterday. I didn't see any disinterest from any players. My spouse and I were commenting how stressful it would be for prospects to play in a smaller arena filled with scouts, GMs, sport writers, and peers. I doubt any player would come out half assed. I can't stress how good this event is. Divver said it himself. One of his favourite hockey events.

Reactions: Gordoff and dugg133

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
To put things into prospect perspective, I saw part of Buffalo's game against Montreal in this same challenge and their skill level was off the charts in comparison. They have so many guys I don't know what they will do with them all. All those last place finishes might finally be paying off. Unless Sweeney starts performing some magic this division is getting ready to flip top to bottom and bottom to top.
No doubt. Buffalo's prospect pool is plain sick. Probably the best in the league. Unless their GM screws up royally the Sabres should be very competitive within the next three years. Wings also could very much turn some heads over the next few years given how awesome its prospect pool is. Not sure how much all of that will translate into flip flopping the division, but the big boys at the top are definitely going to be getting some stiff competition in the not so distant future. Metro is already seeing some of that with the NJ Devils (unfair to have that much young talent already in the NHL combined with what they have in the pipeline) and Columbus on the cusp of making some waves.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I love it too.

Not gonna lie. Montreals prospects looked pretty good yesterday
They did...however up until the 3rd I thought it was pretty even steven. Some bad turn-overs led to the swing in goals. Bruins have some big dudes. It's hard to make a true assessment of prospects. Some prospects are not able to attend...playing in Europe and NCAA.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
They did...however up until the 3rd I thought it was pretty even steven. Some bad turn-overs led to the swing in goals. Bruins have some big dudes. It's hard to make a true assessment of prospects. Some prospects are not able to attend...playing in Europe and NCAA.
Ya, I saw it way more even than the score would indicate. Habs were able to capitalize on there opportunity a d the Bruins weren't. I'd argue that the Bruins had the more dangerous chances, just not the results.

Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's extremely difficult to watch a live game and provide fair assessments on players. All the players are extremely gifted athletes with marginal differences here there that separate them from the pack and NHL worthy. The game is played extremely fast...truly impressive and give credit to those who can watch and provide detailed analysis. It's a skill that would take years to build. IMO Watching post game tapes would be the way to provide fair assessment of players. My spouse and I love watching this event. Nothing like it.
If you're there to scout, you aren't watching a hockey game. You're watching 2 - 3 max players from each side on the ice, on the bench and how they are reacting and for the minute you're not watching them your making notes. You can't possibly key in on 36 players and 2 goaltenders.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think the guys are as advertised so far.

Lohrei looks smooth and is an outstanding passer. He‘s highly offensive and created lots of great chances off the rush and in zone rotations. On the flip side, he lacks urgency in dangerous situations which leads to turnovers and he lacks physical bite. He seems to think he can just spread his base with and extend and guys pressuring him will fall away, and sometimes they do but some are big enough to cave him in or quick enough to skate around his spread and strip him of the puck. I don’t want to say he lacks “urgency” because he plays plenty fast in the Ozone, it’s just we’re used to seeing Gryz or Mac speed up when guys are about to swarm them around the net and Lohrei’s not doing that yet. Hopefully that urgency and pace will come with some coaching and experience. All in all, still very excited by what I’m seeing and looking forward to watching his growth this season in Providence.

Lysell looks a step quicker and smarter than most of the team. He had multiple shifts in that game where he controlled the play for 30 seconds, carrying, cycling with Merk and Lohrei, getting it back, making plays. I think Lysell’s game will tranlate better to the NHL because it seems a lot of the passes he makes out of these long danggle session go wasted by teammates who are suprised to see the puck suddenly coming their way through traffic. On the flip side I feel like Lysell needs to get to the interior more. He dangles and jukes and possesses and draws multiple guys to him while he’s looking for guys to slash to the net or get open and that’s all great but when guys aren’t doing that use one of those dangles to get inside and create your own shot.

Merkulov is doing a lot of good things in his own right. I feel like Lysell has the puck most of the time when this line is on the ice but Merkulov is one of the guys who will slash and play off Lysell and when Merk gets it he makes great plays and is a very willing shooter. I love all the scissor plays he’s running with Lysell. They look dynamic together. I don’t think their winger was up to the task today.

Poitras is right there with Lysell as the most dynamic and skilled. Lots of great plays, lots of quick plays around the net to get pucks inside to teamates. Tremendous ability to play keep away and draw his defender away from the net only to lose him in space. He’s been a treat to watch.

Lots to like out there from the main attractions and the supporting cast types. Topo was great on Friday, Harrison has done some good things, I’ve liked Mast’s defense, Brunet has had some flashes, Beecher has been physical, Kuntar‘s played with energy, Abate has been in guys faces and Hall looks lighter and much quicker than in recent years.

Looking forward to tomorrow‘s finale!

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If you're there to scout, you aren't watching a hockey game. You're watching 2 - 3 max players from each side on the ice, on the bench and how they are reacting and for the minute you're not watching them your making notes. You can't possibly key in on 36 players and 2 goaltenders.
that's funny. i've been reading here for years that every fan's personal "eye test" is the only reliable way to evaluate players. I guess most posters here are watching hours upon hours of game tape 80+ days a year to have such an unassailable eye test.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I always wondered, thanks for the insight.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I always wondered, thanks for the insight.
It's not easy to do. On Friday I focused on 3 players, Rousseau, Brunet and Harrison. The one thing I noticed about Brunet that I have not before is that when the puck is not on his stick and they are in attack mode that his head is constantly on a swivel so he knows exactly where everyone is in the event the puck comes to him. In other words, he is one step ahead of the play, which probably was why he had the helper on Friday. Wasn't as noticable on Saturday but still there.

Those things are hard to notice if you're just following the play.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sabres fan here, didn't know anything about anyone other than Lysell coming in. The org has done a great job of getting everyone in on the system early, but at this level when there's a breakdown it gets ugly very quickly as you saw yesterday on a couple goals.

I was really disappointed in Lysell, looked like the most disinterested guy on the ice and was playing an individual game when everyone around him was playing a team game. His skill was on display a few times but didn't create any kind of real chances. Hard to really assign anything to someone at 20 years old but he just doesn't look like an NHL caliber forward to me.

On the flip side I thought Lohrei was really really good. It's obvious he still has some adjustments to make but his offensive instincts are very advanced for his age. Great mobility for his size and I didn't notice any major defensive lapses. Didn't get to see much in the way of PP time but he looked like everything you want your PP QB to be, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 40-50 pts in Providence this year.

Lysell absolutely looked like he wanted to play a primarily perimeter game
showing off his puckhandling and playmaking.

He was fortunate he didn't get run and injured in the last couple of minutes executing one of his pull up and curls with the puck. Whoever the Montreal player was, easily could have hit him blindside and legal. Kudos to whoever was that guy for letting up.
Lysell is going to be sent into next week at the NHL level doing this repeatedly. He needs to concentrate on driving wide and taking an angled hit by the D man to keep play alive. If he doesn't he won't given his size.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yup

Every game I ever go to I do like to pick out the other teams Star (Gretzky for example) but you really should just follow the puck lol

Kinda funny but true

I was asked by one of my buds not here what I thought of Lorhei and I said I’m actually only watching 23 & 51 and pretty much nothing else - I was aware I pretty much between that and no sound I was not really watching the game but looking for RW 23 & C 51

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lysell absolutely looked like he wanted to play a primarily perimeter game
showing off his puckhandling and playmaking.

He was fortunate he didn't get run and injured in the last couple of minutes executing one of his pull up and curls with the puck. Whoever the Montreal player was, easily could have hit him blindside and legal. Kudos to whoever was that guy for letting up.
Lysell is going to be sent into next week at the NHL level doing this repeatedly. He needs to concentrate on driving wide and taking an angled hit by the D man to keep play alive. If he doesn't he won't given his size.
Yes there are more ways to be down in scoring areas without heading down Main Street

I think Lysell will be fine - big thing I hear is he’s good kid and not a diva

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think some folks need to settle down. It's two freaking prospect games after a few days of practice.
Yes I agree…
Reading back through these comments where is the moderator
Guys this is all opinions and nothing more, take it easy

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Oof I finally watched the replay. I'm starting to understand our prospect ranking a little better :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad