BRUINS GDT Bruins - Poutineville Prospect Challenge - Sept 16, 3:30 EDT

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Overall and with few exceptions I think everyone came pretty much as advertised.

Each for their own reasons should not be making the roster.

Some need to get stronger some need to work on skating and others simply need some time in the AHL.

Poitras looks like the closest to NHL ready to me. Impressive skill set , plays well in all aspects of the game. Tough spot for him to be in though . The AHL would be the best option if it were permitted but it's not. He's not going to develop much playing in the OHL and he's probably not ready for the NHL. If he continues to show well in camp then maybe they can give him a look.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Overall and with few exceptions I think everyone came pretty much as advertised.

Some need to get stronger some need to work on skating and others simply need some time in the AHL.

Poitras looks like the closest to NHL ready to me. Impressive skill set , plays well in all aspects of the game. Tough spot for him to be in though . The AHL would be the best option if it were permitted but it's not. He's not going to develop much playing in the OHL and he's probably not ready for the NHL. If he continues to show well in camp then maybe they can give him a look.

Might be possible to ease him in if worthy in a Seguin/Thornton limited ice time 4C role.

Reactions: Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I like Poitras...made some nice plays yesterday but his body is not NHL ready. He would break. IMO Merk and Topo are closer.

I feel bad saying this but I was incredibly disappointed with Beecher. Big kid but may not have that hockey IQ thing. I hope I'm wrong because his size and speed would be a welcome addition to Boston.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Poitras looked the most ready to play a team game at the NHL level. Was making plays more than showcasing individual talent (but there was plenty of that in spades as well). He just seems to think and act/react quicker than anyone they had out there.

Maybe he sneaks in on a wing a la Bergeron's first year.

Reactions: Gordoff and BBruins

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Poitras looked the most ready to play a team game at the NHL level. Was making plays more than showcasing individual talent (but there was plenty of that in spades as well). He just seems to think and act/react quicker than anyone they had out there.

Merk very similar skillset but thinking Merk is also a better goal scorer. He's more polished.

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Really is odd they haven't signed Brunet yet.

Are they trying to wrestle him into signing a Providence deal this season or something?
There's actually a reason for it related to CBA and timing, which is also why we haven't seen any more PTO's.

The Bruins are at 45 contracts. Add the PTO's to Heinen and Chaisson (you have to have contract spots open for PTO's) and you are up to 47.

The Bruins also have/had ten invites to development camp and rookie camp to try and add to a depleted(?) prospect pool. So, they only have 3 open contract spots to sign any that might impress enough.

Since they own Brunet's rights until June 1, 2024, there is no rush to sign him until decisions are made on the others - actually it's beneficial to them. And if they need his contract spot, they could sign him to an AHL deal while also not losing a year of his ELC.

I like Poitras...made some nice plays yesterday but his body is not NHL ready. He would break. IMO Merk and Topo are closer.

I feel bad saying this but I was incredibly disappointed with Beecher. Big kid but may not have that hockey IQ thing. I hope I'm wrong because his size and speed would be a welcome addition to Boston.
Yet you called his game meh yesterday.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

People keep on saying that Poitras is not NHL ready because of his body, while not ideal, other players with similar physiques like Mitch Marner did just fine when they broke in. I see no reason why Poitras can't survive in the NHL with his hockey intelligence.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
There's actually a reason for it related to CBA and timing, which is also why we haven't seen any more PTO's.

The Bruins are at 45 contracts. Add the PTO's to Heinen and Chaisson (you have to have contract spots open for PTO's) and you are up to 47.

The Bruins also have/had ten invites to development camp and rookie camp to try and add to a depleted(?) prospect pool. So, they only have 3 open contract spots to sign any that might impress enough.

Since they own Brunet's rights until June 1, 2024, there is no rush to sign him until decisions are made on the others - actually it's beneficial to them. And if they need his contract spot, they could sign him to an AHL deal while also not losing a year of his ELC.

Yet you called his game meh yesterday.
Meh isn't all that bad...lol. He was good but I felt others showed more. It was one game and meh to blah man's opinion.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
People keep on saying that Poitras is not NHL ready because of his body, while not ideal, other players with similar physiques like Mitch Marner did just fine when they broke in. I see no reason why Poitras can't survive in the NHL with his hockey intelligence.
and People keep saying he's NHL ready ... and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

I thought poitras looked a lot better at centre. I’m not sure wing suits him. The way he thinks the game shows me he is a natural centre. They tried him on wing yesterday I believe. The puck finds this guy. I’m impressed with his play away from the puck. He might make the nhl.

Lysel might make it too. His skating is hard to ignore.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Would love to see him play a few games with the sole intent of smothering an opponent's top line/player.
I think if that's what you expect you'll be disappointed. The number one thing he needs to work on his defensive awareness. Putting him against an NHL top line really wouldn't be doing him any favors at this point.

He played a pretty loose, open game in the USHL and NCAA. He needs to learn to play a structured D and the AHL is the place to do it. I wouldn't even expect him to be playing against AHL top lines to start the season, but hopefully at some point this season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think there are things he can still work on in the OHL and WJC.

He's clearly a talented playmaker. Perhaps he can work on his shot and being more selfish at times.

It also might be good to add some more strength and fill out his upper body. The AHL can be a very physical league and another year getting ready for that (or the NHL) might be worth it. I think the CHL Agreement hurts very very few prospects. Most are fine doing 1 more year and the ones who are ready are DEFINITELY ready.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think if that's what you expect you'll be disappointed. The number one thing he needs to work on his defensive awareness. Putting him against an NHL top line really wouldn't be doing him any favors at this point.

He played a pretty loose, open game in the USHL and NCAA. He needs to learn to play a structured D and the AHL is the place to do it. I wouldn't even expect him to be playing against AHL top lines to start the season, but hopefully at some point this season.
It's more that I want to see him try to do it. He should be able to swallow up kids at a prospect showcase if given the task. We know what he can do offensivley. The only real question with him is can he play D. So far he seems alergic to using that size in his end of the ice other than when the puck is on his stick

Reactions: hrdpuk

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
After seeing Poitras in the past two games I was reminded of something @DominicT said last summer. I thought it was a great pick at the time, but some of the analysts were questioning Poitras' skating. Dom pointed out that he thought Poitras' skating was not an issue. Dom was right. Poitras is a plenty good enough skater to play in the NHL.

He looked excellent on Friday at center, and was doing a lot of little things really well when playing wing on Saturday. Looked to me like he accelerates fine when he needs to, and he more than keeps up with the pace. Both games he has been impressive in his own zone. Dude's IQ and instincts are very obvious.

I'm not smart enough to know how close to ready he is to the NHL. Probably not quite there yet, but I am thinking those scouts who pre-draft had him ranked bottom of the first are going to be closer to correct than the ones who had him ranked much lower.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
To put things into prospect perspective, I saw part of Buffalo's game against Montreal in this same challenge and their skill level was off the charts in comparison. They have so many guys I don't know what they will do with them all. All those last place finishes might finally be paying off. Unless Sweeney starts performing some magic this division is getting ready to flip top to bottom and bottom to top.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

He's clearly a talented playmaker. Perhaps he can work on his shot and being more selfish at times.

It also might be good to add some more strength and fill out his upper body. The AHL can be a very physical league and another year getting ready for that (or the NHL) might be worth it. I think the CHL Agreement hurts very very few prospects. Most are fine doing 1 more year and the ones who are ready are DEFINITELY ready.
His shot is not an issue. He could be more selfish but he has two great shooters as his linemates as well in junior so he became the distributor

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Ya, it's not that he can't work on things in the OHL it's just that he seems like he's ready for the AHL and would benefit more from that. He could stand to gain some muscle but he doesn't seem to be affected by his lack of size as much as say Lysell.

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Merk very similar skillset but thinking Merk is also a better goal scorer. He's more polished.
I've been a little disappointed in Merk through two games. I know the prospect challenge doesn't actually mean anything, but I was hoping that he'd see the opportunity in front of him if he does well in camp and treat these games as step 1 to doing that. But he's looked a little disinterested to me at times. Or maybe I'm just reading too far into games that don't matter, idk.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It's extremely difficult to watch a live game and provide fair assessments on players. All the players are extremely gifted athletes with marginal differences here there that separate them from the pack and NHL worthy. The game is played extremely fast...truly impressive and give credit to those who can watch and provide detailed analysis. It's a skill that would take years to build. IMO Watching post game tapes would be the way to provide fair assessment of players. My spouse and I love watching this event. Nothing like it.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It's extremely difficult to watch a live game and provide fair assessments on players. All the players are extremely gifted athletes with marginal differences here there that separate them from the pack and NHL worthy. The game is played extremely fast...truly impressive and give credit to those who can watch and provide detailed analysis. It's a skill that would take years to build. IMO Watching post game tapes would be the way to provide fair assessment of players. My spouse and I love watching this event. Nothing like it.
I love it too.

Not gonna lie. Montreals prospects looked pretty good yesterday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad