Proposal: Bruins Off-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Without dumping cap it's going to be difficult for Sweeney to bring in another D-man.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
So they are thinking about signing a defenseman (enough smoke to say that I think). So are they going to trade McQuaid?

Because Carlo, McAvoy, Krug, Chara, and Miller seem like guarantees, right? So they arent going to sign a d-man for him to be the 7th guy, but McQuaid makes too much to do that either.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
I think DS will try to land Daley first, then second option would be kulikov and if he strikes out on adding one of those 2 his third option will be Hainsey.
As for trading away McQuaid the writing is on the wall, he gets paid too much to be 7th d man on the roster, that is why perhaps the trade rumours with minnisota exist. i.e.
Mcquaid, Beleskey, spooner for Pomminville,Scandella or Brodin. Doubt we see that too
man contracts and players involved for DS to handle. Then we turn back to adding a F.A.
forward and d MAN. As for forward I could see DS going after Vrbata.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
What are thoughts on Justin Williams as scoring depth? I've got a feeling with him like I had with Peverly before they traded for him in 11.

No thanks to Williams, his best days are beyond him, need to inject more speed into the lineup.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
They should just set their centers as Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Nash (though gladly replace him with anyone). First line is good, 2nd line needs a winger and two wingers for the third line. This is there biggest need. Shutdown Bergeron line and they are lost. So they need more threats on 2nd and 3rd lines

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can't make sense of signing Trevor Daley unless something else is cooking.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it.

First, it may be part of a series of moves, with McQuaid or Killer beubg traded.

The second is that considering Tommy Cross played in playoff games last season, they are trying to load up on quality defense depth, to prevent a similar situation next season.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I guess there's two ways of looking at it.

First, it may be part of a series of moves, with McQuaid or Killer beubg traded.

The second is that considering Tommy Cross played in playoff games last season, they are trying to load up on quality defense depth, to prevent a similar situation next season.

Personally I just want to see them ice a team I'm confident will make the playoffs. Depth is a nice thing to worry about but I don't think they have that luxury. I want to know where the scoring is going to come from aside from the Bergeron line, and I'd prefer the answer isn't "Ryan Spooner" or "we are hoping one of our rookies steps in".

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Personally I just want to see them ice a team I'm confident will make the playoffs. Depth is a nice thing to worry about but I don't think they have that luxury. I want to know where the scoring is going to come from aside from the Bergeron line, and I'd prefer the answer isn't "Ryan Spooner" or "we are hoping one of our rookies steps in".

Third potential explanation for Daly.....maybe a bigger, unexpected move is coming?

Not saying it's likely, because it's not but, what if Krug is moved for forward help?

Chara - Carlo
Daly - Killer
McQuaid - McAvoy

Marchand - Bergy - Backes/?

(Krug Trade) - Krejci - Pasta

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I don't think people should pencil Carlo in as a lock for a top 4 spot. He played well to start the season but no doubt broke down near the end and got no playoff time. I expect reality to set in and a sophomore slump to hit

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Third potential explanation for Daly.....maybe a bigger, unexpected move is coming?

Not saying it's likely, because it's not but, what if Krug is moved for forward help?

Chara - Carlo
Daly - Killer
McQuaid - McAvoy

Marchand - Bergy - Backes/?

(Krug Trade) - Krejci - Pasta

I think that creates a bigger hole than it fills.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't think people should pencil Carlo in as a lock for a top 4 spot. He played well to start the season but no doubt broke down near the end and got no playoff time. I expect reality to set in and a sophomore slump to hit

Agreed, but (besides injuries) can you imagine many scenarios where he doesn't play at least 70 games, even if he is in the bottom pairing?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I have Carlo as a lock to play with Chara unless McAvoy gets that spot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Ugh.

I despise this year's UFA class so much.

I just want Sweeney to get up early Saturday, have a upgraded back-up goaltender signed by 12:05 Eastern, then go eat lunch followed by a long afternoon lap.

Let other GMs shoot themselves in the foot over-bidding on what is a flat out awful UFA class. What a pile of mistakes GMs are going to make on Saturday.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Random thoughts on the few posts above:

- I'm not as opposed as many of you are to Daley. I like the player. If Sweeney had a move in mind to upgrade the top 6 to where the team's biggest hole was really just a LD to play decent minutes, he could do far worse than Trevor Daley. I wouldn't sign him until that time came, which seems unlikely, but I like the player. 2yrs/$8M for him seems fair if he's a final piece kind of add and that's all the cap space you have.

- I don't see Krug being dealt. Again, if any of the given top 6 are dealt (so not McQuaid, whom I think should be dealt regardless), my money remains on Carlo. And before his fan club kills me..I don't WANT him dealt. I just see him as our best chip to acquire the type of top 6 W we need, and I see a surplus on our right side defense. And, I think there's at least some chance that his value might never be higher in trade than it is today. But that's not wanting him traded...it's just admitting you gotta give to get.

- I'm tired of the Russo texts about Minny-Boston. Is it really taking this long for these two to figure out a fair trade? Just quit and move on already.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ugh.

I despise this year's UFA class so much.

I just want Sweeney to get up early Saturday, have a upgraded back-up goaltender signed by 12:05 Eastern, then go eat lunch followed by a long afternoon lap.

Let other GMs shoot themselves in the foot over-bidding on what is a flat out awful UFA class. What a pile of mistakes GMs are going to make on Saturday.

Why not McIntyre?

Or is the mindset for everyone to get someone to replace Khudobin and make that person battle it out with McIntyre?

I just dont see it as that much of a worry compared to the Top 9 situation as well as maybe the LHD situation.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why not McIntyre?

Or is the mindset for everyone to get someone to replace Khudobin and make that person battle it out with McIntyre?

I just dont see it as that much of a worry compared to the Top 9 situation as well as maybe the LHD situation.

I like Zane, but another AHL season won't hurt if he doesn't need to clear waivers (I don't think he does). He'd be my guy in 2018-19.

I don't want to see them risk Khudobin reverting to the version we saw last year prior to his recall. Especially with Rask coming off of groin surgery.

Despite his good finish, I have very little faith in "Dobby". Subban is a complete non-factor at this point.

Basically I want a guy better than Dobby to bridge the gap for one season and go with Zane in 2018-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad