Confirmed with Link: Bruins name Cassidy, Pandolfo Assistant Coaches

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not really excited with the news. Meh. Didn't think Cassidy was on the good list. I guess I was wrong. Didn't someone say Cassidy and Clode weren't seeing eye to eye with the players coming up not playing the system? I guess we'll find out during the season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Leaman is building a kingdom at PC, a team on the verge of being a lock every season for the NCAA tourney and a perennial Frozen Four favorite. He's only leaving for the NHL or if some giant program throws their state checkbook at him and tells him to fill in a number.

I agree with DKH. I'd be shocked if Dean doesn't get the head gig in Providence.

I am a little surprised that Pandolfo wasn't kept in the Sweeney role of defacto minor league GM. But I guess he prefers coaching.

Completely agree on Leaman, it really makes no sense for him to take an AHL job.

Remember when the Bruins were playing Jay Pandolfo everybody? Good times good times

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
How's the old expression go?

"Any time you have a chance to add a coach who has a career .500 record and has made it past the 2nd playoff round only 1 time in 15 years at any level, you have to do it!"

member 96824

How's the old expression go?

"Any time you have a chance to add a coach who has a career .500 record and has made it past the 2nd playoff round only 1 time in 15 years at any level, you have to do it!"

Isn't it astonishing? Wow what a staff feeder program we have.

Across the board, the best options available across the globe are all the internal ones. It's amazing, the Bruins are doing an amazing job sourcing talent, it just all happens to come from within!

Forgive me for I've been in a coma the last couple of years, but with all the internal promotion within the organization, the Bruins must be having some serious success at both the NHL and AHL levels! I hope this coaching search wasn't too "exhaustive"

----

Joke aside, it's really tough to know what assistant coaches are and aren't responsible for in terms of team success...we've seen a lot of success with Houda and Jarvis, odd to see them go...and I'm sure swapping around the assistant coaches isn't the end of the world. Both will probably do a fine job at their roles...but FFS, is the TD Garden just an echo chamber? Former Bruins and internal members of the organization welcome. Everyone else, don't call us, we'll call you.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
INT. Claude's Julien's Office at TD Garden in Boston

Bruins head coach Claude Julien sits behind his desk, with new assistant coach Bruce Cassidy and General manager Don Sweeney sitting in front of him.There's a framed photo of Gregory Campbell.

CLAUDE

Welcome aboard there Bruce. Glad to have you up with the big club. But I just have one question for you: What did you think of Alexander Khokhlachev?

Cassidy shifts in his seat, uneasy.

BRUCE

Uh...

CLAUDE

Think he can play up here?

Cassidy looks at Sweeney, whose eyes go wide in fear. Sweeney gives him a subtle "no" shake of the head.

BRUCE

No coach. Doesn't play a 200 foot game....I think.

He looks at Sweeney, hoping he got the answer right. Sweeney looks relieved.

CLAUDE

Good. Good. We'll get a long just fine.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I still can't believe Essensa is still here.

This^

Not a fan of the recent moves.. sure hope I'm wrong for the Bruins sake

If they don't want Claude's coaching style then stop beating around the bush and cut the head off the snake like someone else mentioned.

CJ is a great coach being put in an awkward position.

Roster needed to better but like usual coaches take the blame.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Isn't it astonishing? Wow what a staff feeder program we have.

Across the board, the best options available across the globe are all the internal ones. It's amazing, the Bruins are doing an amazing job sourcing talent, it just all happens to come from within!

Forgive me for I've been in a coma the last couple of years, but with all the internal promotion within the organization, the Bruins must be having some serious success at both the NHL and AHL levels! I hope this coaching search wasn't too "exhaustive"

I'm sure these guys come cheap, as opposed to bringing in actual talented people from other organizations.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Awesome. Way to open up the check books for some new blood on the coaching staff!

Wait...the new coaches are Pandawful and the guy who did a mediocre job in Providence?

But hey...got to save that money somewhere until the Bs can get bounced in the first round. Playoff concession gates and all.

Last edited by a moderator:

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Wow it's like Sweeney is trying to make us lose faith in advance so when he has to can some folks it won't be a difficult decision and he has built in scapegoats. I can't imagine any other reason for moves like this...

:shakehead

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Awesome. Way to open up the check books for some new blood on the coaching staff!

Wait...the new coaches are Pandawful and the guy who did a mediocre job in Providence?

But hey...got to save that money somewhere until the Bs can get bounced in the first round. Playoff concession gates and all.

Well... maybe in a different multiverse... not in this one.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Cassidy might have been an average AHL head coach, but he might be a better assistant coach here learning under Claude and with less responsibilities. What would Cassidy's area be? Defense, PP...?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I'm no expert on Providence and their style Cassidy doesn't seem to have a bad track record in the Providence and may help facilitate some younger guys into the lineup which has been the main concern with Claude. Depending on if they are on the same page it could be a good combo. Atleast he has legit coaching experience.

As for Pandolfo, what was his role this past year, player development or something? I prefer to see someone earn a NHL coaching job, even assistant, more than he has to date.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Can somebody please hijack this thread and turn it into a ripfest on Julien??? It's been three pages already...hurry up.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
"Cassidy's record in Providence was 207-128-21-24. Made playoffs 4 times in 5 yrs. Only Scott Gordon (221) has won more games with P-Bruins." I wouldn't say that is mediocre.

Cassidy guided Capitals to playoffs in 2002-03, as a greenhorn coach, and on top of his AHL record the mediocre/average label would not stick. Look no further than Claude Julien post-game interviews for true meaning of mediocre.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Many were saying the same thing. Clode wouldn't get past Thanksgiving.

This prediction will again look foolish next year.

It's not foolish. If the Bruins played the same way around Thanksgiving as they did at the end of the season he would have been fired.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
This is bad.

Dave Lewis, MOC, bad.

I hope the bruins don't start badly. It could be the bruins ending up with a top 3 pick if CJ gets canned.

ska8ter8808

Jul 3, 2006
Massachusetts
INT. Claude's Julien's Office at TD Garden in Boston

Bruins head coach Claude Julien sits behind his desk, with new assistant coach Bruce Cassidy and General manager Don Sweeney sitting in front of him.There's a framed photo of Gregory Campbell.

CLAUDE

Welcome aboard there Bruce. Glad to have you up with the big club. But I just have one question for you: What did you think of Alexander Khokhlachev?

Cassidy shifts in his seat, uneasy.

BRUCE

Uh...

CLAUDE

Think he can play up here?

Cassidy looks at Sweeney, whose eyes go wide in fear. Sweeney gives him a subtle "no" shake of the head.

BRUCE

No coach. Doesn't play a 200 foot game....I think.

He looks at Sweeney, hoping he got the answer right. Sweeney looks relieved.

CLAUDE

Good. Good. We'll get a long just fine.

Lost it on the Campbell picture. This is good stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad