Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Sens: Oh, we've got trouble. We're in terrible, terrible trouble.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL SQUARE ON THE HEAD.

Offensive talent is squashed. Playmakers are handcuffed. Creativity is stifled.

For DECADES the Bruins lacked offensive talent. From the 1970s until today; the Bruins have lacked the firepower that made them Cup Contenders and winners in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1970s. Sure, they had stars like Neely and Oates; and the occasional 100 point season from this guy or that guy; but no real consistent offensive talent.

I have seen more offensive talent pass through here in the last few years than since I started watching in the 1980s; and now that they're getting the horses; their hands are being tied by the coach!!!

It's one thing to rely on defense and goaltending when you are low on talent; but it's another when you have the talent and just don't want to use it.

I could be waaaay off base here, but that's my opinion.

Even worse than limiting their creative ability is that they're quickly identified as not being the type of player they want and moved out, usually for pennies on the dollar. That's why you're left with top 6 forwards who can't crack the 20 goal plateau. That's why players who leave here see a jump in their points. Not because they played poorly here, but because they had to change their entire game up just to fit. Rather than adjusting the system to fit the talent/skills your players have, Claude and PC adjust the talent to fit the system. It's a very backwards way to look at it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There's so much wrong with this team. The sudden identity change is the biggest one for me... "Hey, we were successful when we were tough and physical, lets try to completely change and become Detroit so we can compete with Montreal" - That was absolutely idiotic. Boston plays their best hockey when they're nasty, physical and tough on the puck and body.

For the love of god, Detroit is tougher than Boston is. No one is scared to play the Bruins like they were a few years ago, and all this BS about the "game changing" is a poor excuse. There's no excuse for the 180 turn they tried to do with this team over the past year. Absolutely no excuse.

The fact that Adam McQuaid is the only guy out there that has enough of a scrotum to stand up for his teammates and himself is absolutely baffling... and the funny thing is, people want this guy gone? Why? Why on earth would you want the ONLY guy who will stand up for someone gone? - There are so many issues with this team, Adam McQuaid is far down the list. It's pretty damn frustrating watching teams take runs at our top guys and for only one person to give a **** about it.

This Bruins team is the softest team I can ever remember. If you're going to lose games... fine, but at least lose with some ****ing pride. It's just flat out hard to watch guys like Dale Weise bully your ******* team.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Was just thinking how "60+ to History" was the phrase preached back then but it does seem like they didn't play 60 minutes very often. I bet the next generation of fans will see that book and think that team did play 60 minutes each night when they didn't, which is a shame they will be mislead in a myth of a legend.

Yep. It's a great phrase, but honestly, complete ********...:laugh:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

Yeah, that year they actually had the switch they could flip and I think the mantra was created to try to combat that attitude developed during the regular season. I know people on these boards feared they'd try to coast to often in the playoffs because of this.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Was just thinking how "60+ to History" was the phrase preached back then but it does seem like they didn't play 60 minutes very often. I bet the next generation of fans will see that book and think that team did play 60 minutes each night when they didn't, which is a shame they will be mislead in a myth of a legend.

I think the editors of that book got confused. I think it actually went more like this:

Interview: Was the team philosophy in line with the old Lunchpail Gang mantra of every guy giving his all, every game, every shift?

Player: You're joking right?

Interview: Well, what I meant was -- how important was bringing a full game's effort each and every night.

Player: Hell, I can think of 60+ nights that season that we didn't do squat until we absolutely had to. We pulled more games out of our ***** than any team in history.

Hence..... "60+ to History" :laugh:

note: I'm totally joking. While they definitely were a bit of a light switch team -- I loved that team. The only think about 2011 that wasn't perfect was the fact that it wasn't repeated again and again and again!

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine

LOL - Funny you should mention that... I was literally just now backing up some files on my computer, and saw some old Playoff Avatars that I had made from 2013...

Promises2_B_zpsshjzetsy.jpg

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
There's so much wrong with this team. The sudden identity change is the biggest one for me... "Hey, we were successful when we were tough and physical, lets try to completely change and become Detroit so we can compete with Montreal" - That was absolutely idiotic. Boston plays their best hockey when they're nasty, physical and tough on the puck and body.

For the love of god, Detroit is tougher than Boston is. No one is scared to play the Bruins like they were a few years ago, and all this BS about the "game changing" is a poor excuse. There's no excuse for the 180 turn they tried to do with this team over the past year. Absolutely no excuse.

The fact that Adam McQuaid is the only guy out there that has enough of a scrotum to stand up for his teammates and himself is absolutely baffling... and the funny thing is, people want this guy gone? Why? Why on earth would you want the ONLY guy who will stand up for someone gone? - There are so many issues with this team, Adam McQuaid is far down the list. It's pretty damn frustrating watching teams take runs at our top guys and for only one person to give a **** about it.

This Bruins team is the softest team I can ever remember. If you're going to lose games... fine, but at least lose with some ****ing pride. It's just flat out hard to watch guys like Dale Weise bully your ******* team.

We have barely thrown a noteworthy hit in the last 25 games. This team is unbelievably docile.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
This sums it up for me...“When you look at the game, they seemed to want it more than we did. That’s the other part that’s disappointing,”. This team has no heart and it pisses me off. Its an endless circle of "not good enough effort, etc.". Pathetic.

Basically describing the way the entire season has been going. I agree too many passengers no where near enough soldiers.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
The problem is guys like Lucic and Chara aren't really leaders, they are supporters and backers when you have actual leaders on the team. The problem is that outside of Bergeron/Krecji (who are more the quiet type and lead more by example) there really are no off/on ice leaders on this team anymore. You can tell by who they are loosing to and the way they are loosing. No one is really helping to keep order and keeping teammates accountable. The coaching staff is too layed back as well which only makes matters worse.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
The problem is guys like Lucic and Chara aren't really leaders, they are supporters and backers when you have actual leaders on the team. The problem is that outside of Bergeron/Krecji (who are more the quiet type and lead more by example) there really are no off/on ice leaders on this team anymore. You can tell by who they are loosing to and the way they are loosing. No one is really helping to keep order and keeping teammates accountable. The coaching staff is too layed back as well which only makes matters worse.

Notorious floater David Krejci is probably not a great example of leadership.....talk about inconsistency.....

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I don`t question Smith`s hustle or effort, I see a kid who`s beyond gripping the stick too tight and he needs to sit, and IF this team makes the playoffs, he`s sitting up top and Ferlin is in....which he should have been already

I may be alone but as a fan of hockey, THIS kind of finish to a season is what makes this game so great, Ottawa story line is fun, the B`s clinging to a playoff spot....sorry fans, I love this kind of drama, it`s frustrating at times for sure but....

we just watched what this team or the games would be like if our boys "opened it up"...wondering out loud how fans would like that now? Entertaining but this team doesn`t have the horses to do it with consistency

Agree with your statement about loving a great race - its just bad for my blood pressure.

I disagree with the bolded statement though. Though the score looked like we opened it up , that's really not the truth. Two goals were scored basically on a 5 on 3 with the 2nd coming after the penalty expired and the Sens having tired Dmen on the ice.

I believe the Bruins have the skill and players to play that style , its just that the Julien system is so ingrained in their heads they can't do it effectively. The only players who show creativity and are effective are Spoons/Pasta two players who have not been in the system long enough.

Look at players like Marchand, for all the dangling and speed he has , how many times do you see him curl back on a potential odd man rush, in fact all the forwards do it , they're so concerned with keeping that 3rd man high. Plus their attack is completely based on the shot from the point , they spend their energy digging and mucking pucks from behind the net to set up point shots that get blocked or miss the net entirely . When was the last time we saw a defenseman beat a goalie cleanly with a blast from the point 5 on 5 - its a flawed system.

Now on to the D, i've said it repeatedly this year and will continue to say , this team is toast as long as Julien thinks Chara/Seids are the 2011 versions of themselves. I know people here like to use Bart as a whipping boy , but IMO the real liability on that pairing is Seids. At least 3 of the Sens goals last night were failures by Chara or Seids to either clear the puck or move it fast enough. Guys like Krug and Bart and to some extent Dougie have the ability to make up for those mistakes Chara and Seids don't anymore. If Chara didn't have an enormous reach he'd probably be about a minus 35 right now, its the only thing that saves him from being Hal Gill II.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree with your statement about loving a great race - its just bad for my blood pressure.

I disagree with the bolded statement though. Though the score looked like we opened it up , that's really not the truth. Two goals were scored basically on a 5 on 3 with the 2nd coming after the penalty expired and the Sens having tired Dmen on the ice.

I believe the Bruins have the skill and players to play that style , its just that the Julien system is so ingrained in their heads they can't do it effectively. The only players who show creativity and are effective are Spoons/Pasta two players who have not been in the system long enough.

Look at players like Marchand, for all the dangling and speed he has , how many times do you see him curl back on a potential odd man rush, in fact all the forwards do it , they're so concerned with keeping that 3rd man high. Plus their attack is completely based on the shot from the point , they spend their energy digging and mucking pucks from behind the net to set up point shots that get blocked or miss the net entirely . When was the last time we saw a defenseman beat a goalie cleanly with a blast from the point 5 on 5 - its a flawed system.

Now on to the D, i've said it repeatedly this year and will continue to say , this team is toast as long as Julien thinks Chara/Seids are the 2011 versions of themselves. I know people here like to use Bart as a whipping boy , but IMO the real liability on that pairing is Seids. At least 3 of the Sens goals last night were failures by Chara or Seids to either clear the puck or move it fast enough. Guys like Krug and Bart and to some extent Dougie have the ability to make up for those mistakes Chara and Seids don't anymore. If Chara didn't have an enormous reach he'd probably be about a minus 35 right now, its the only thing that saves him from being Hal Gill II.

This team, as comprised today, would get eaten alive in a series that is open

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Still can't beleive we lost scoring 4 goals...

Way too many bonehead defensive play and turnovers. Add the very weak winning goal by Rask and this is the reason it happened...

We could have almost clinched with a win. Now, it will be a race to the finnish and anything Under 7-4-0 will likely means a DNQ, especially if Ottawa keep on winning.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
This team, as comprised today, would get eaten alive in a series that is open

With our current D corps and how they're utilized - I agree.

But I feel our forwards as a whole could function much better in an open system . They are so afraid to take risks today and that stifiles quite a bit of scoring opportunity. If we could get multi goal leads ,I'd like our chances with Rask in net, but usually when we're up by even 1 , the dreaded 3rd man high and 1 man forecheck rears its ugly head as we try to just hang on. Its funny how a lot of times late in 3rd periods when they're losing we see this team and say why can't they play like that consistently - the system dictates otherwise.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Missing playoffs and Chiarelli coming off his high horse might be what Dr ordered.The defence he put together is laughable.Anytime McQuaid is in your top 4 you have problems and the fact a General Manager does nothing about it the whole year shows bigger problems.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
No one is happy where the team is now but to not make the playoffs would be an utter disaster. All of the games will be nail biters the rest of the way. For Saturday,assuming Krejci is back I would remove Smith,Campbell and Bart . I would give Ferlin a shot playing with Bergeron and I would put Krejci with Soda and Loui. I would call up Morrow and play him with Seidenberg.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Lots of chatter here in Ottawa about how Loui Eriksson should get a fine for his dives. Can't say I disagree.. What makes this interesting though is whether or not the Bruins would have got the high-sticking call if he hadn't jump flopped. I seem to recall a delay in the hand going up. Makes me wonder about the process to determine a diver. Does it matter that the call was legit? Does it matter that the ref would not have otherwise seen/noticed it and made what was the right call after all?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Lucic is more of a leader than you realize.

He & Bergeron are 2 leaders on this team

Kelly also

But losing Boychuk, Thornton and Iggy has really effected this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad