Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose 2-0 - and Ottawa won't go away

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Serious question from a Caps fan here - how many games does Holtby have to put up strong numbers against the Bruins before the fans stop calling him a "garbage goalie"?

Really? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt based upon your low post count that you're new and haven't been reading the boards much. There is always an element of any fan base that finds it difficult to acknowledge good play by members of the opposing team. You need to realize that and ignore it.

Holtby is a fine goalie. He played a heck of a game. I saw it You saw it. You don't need confirmation from an opposing team's lunatic fringe that what you saw is acceptable to you and your fan base.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
See the thing about Wilson's hit was that it was clean but unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I love hits like those but I think the option to retaliate should be there.

It wasn't Marchands penalty that cost them the game. The bruins failed to convert on several PP attempts and only really tested Holtby with anything challenging about 3-4 times.

From the TV camera angle and with the benefit of replay we could see that Wilson's hit wasn't dirty; I doubt it was that obvious from Marchand's POV. Roenick can stick a cork in it. Marchand was the one who was in a position to do something for what he saw was a teammate being abused, so good for him for not saying "hey, that's not my job.'

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
i was fairly certain that was the inevitable result here.

RESPECK!

picture.php

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Rask posts a .947, not enough.

We just took perimeter and point shots the entire night, the only real scoring chance was Loui's missed empty net.

It was basically a game against MTL.

Simplifying the game to pee-wee hockey levels is apparently the answer against a quick team for CJ and company. I have never, and will never, understand it.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Serious question from a Caps fan here - how many games does Holtby have to put up strong numbers against the Bruins before the fans stop calling him a "garbage goalie"?

We know he's not the best. He's not Vezina. But he's had a hell of a season and his careers stats are pretty good. Amazing? No. Garbage? Even bigger no, IMO.

I didn't see anyone calling him GARBAGE, and if somebody did, they sure don't know what they're talking about.

He's a very good goalie, and a Saskatchewan kid to boot.

I don't know why, but he seems to get up for Bruins games, and has very good numbers against the B's. :huh:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It was basically a game against MTL.

Simplifying the game to pee-wee hockey levels is apparently the answer against a quick team for CJ and company. I have never, and will never, understand it.

Never recovered from the slow start in the 1st. I think the circumstances played into it. The Bruins had just won 5 in a row and the Caps were desperate for a win. Full credit to the Caps ,they are a good team and not the best matchup for the Bruins but I still think we could be competitive against them in the playoffs.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
From the TV camera angle and with the benefit of replay we could see that Wilson's hit wasn't dirty; I doubt it was that obvious from Marchand's POV. Roenick can stick a cork in it. Marchand was the one who was in a position to do something for what he saw was a teammate being abused, so good for him for not saying "hey, that's not my job.'

I have to disagree. I for one hate this trend of when a clean hit is thrown there is an obligation to fight.

As for the Wilson hit..... Let
Me first state I am a die hard Bruin fan and a huge Marchand fan. However...

It's a clean hit first and foremost.
Secondly what Marchand did was not stand up for his teammate. He jumped Wilson from behind and took a stupid penalty which was the game winning goal in a massive game with big implications

It's not like Marchand had any intention of fighting Wilson.

Would have preferred Quaider or Looch to stand up as a fight may have actually occurred. Jumping a player from behind like that does not show toughness of a team it a cowardly move period.

Secondly Spooner is a young kid who now knows keep your head up. Playoffs are around the corner and if he is playing it ain't getting any easier for him. He is just
Going to have to adjust.

The hit on Pasternak Saturday from Morrow was a dirty one and Quaider handled it
Perfectly. He asked to fight and let
morrow know that if it happens again he won't be asking.

Also secondly it let's the refs know hey a didn't like that hit so watch for the next one.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Never recovered from the slow start in the 1st. I think the circumstances played into it. The Bruins had just won 5 in a row and the Caps were desperate for a win. Full credit to the Caps ,they are a good team and not the best matchup for the Bruins but I still think we could be competitive against them in the playoffs.

Given our performance against that team in the last number of years, plus the fact that this team is weaker than those past Bruins teams...I'd be very worried.

These little winning streaks after struggling through much of the season offer some hope, but don't excite me in the same way as I think it does some other folks around the board. Nothing wrong with that...just where I stand and my gut feeling. This team is not strong enough defensively and doesn't have significant firepower offensively. The only part of this team that says deep playoff run to me is Tuukka and I don't think he can do it alone.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Wilson did take a pretty healthy run at Spooner, saw him with his head down and skated in from the other wing to lay the hit.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Holtby has better #s than Rask this year with more time played, I was surprised to see he has the most minutes on ice for a goalie this year.

Holtby
Quick
Schneider
Rask
Price

He is a damn fine goalie.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sort=savePercentage&viewName=summary&fetchKey=20152ALLGAGALL

He is a good goalie not just against the B's.. for his career 93 wins 49 losses, 2.44 GAA, .921 Save %..

Tuukka's numbers for comparison 131 wins 77 losses, 2.15 GAA, .927 Save %...

Where Tuuka is superior to most is in the playoffs (except against the Habs) his numbers are better for goals against and save percentage.

Tuukka is about to pass Tim Thomas in playoff wins.... Thomas 50 games 29 W 21 L, 2.07 GAA, .933 SV%

Tuukka is right there.... 47 games 28 W 19 L, 2.11 GAA, .930 SV%

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I was a bit conflicted after it happened. I have been a bit dismayed at the lack of response to hits on the Bruins. And no, I'm not one that thinks even clean hits call for retaliation; and Wilson's hit on Spooner was clean.

So it was refreshing to see Marchand (of all people) standing up for a teammate. Immediately I thought 'Just kill this penalty off' and perhaps the vibe of the game would change.

But of course they gave up a goal (that proved to be the game-winner).

Jeremy Roenick was a bit critical during intermission saying Marchand needs to 'pick his spots' better.

Since Roenick is a foul mouthed moron, I assume anything that he says wrong to do, is pretty much definitely the right thing to do.

That also applies here. I usually rip Marchand for bad penalties. But this is not a bad penalty. Sticking up for one of your teammates, especially a blindside hit by a huge meathead on a small young guy like Spoons (Wilson is 6'4), is a good penalty to take. Seriously, I wish we see more of this, from the squad. If you pulled a dirty hit, the Bruins used to make you pay. Now, teams get away with lots of crap.

Kudos to Marchand, himself a small guy, taking on Tom "Meathead" Wilson for Spoons.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

This.

Although I don't think the Wilson hit was entirely clean. Seemed a bit blind to me, came from an odd angle.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I have to disagree. I for one hate this trend of when a clean hit is thrown there is an obligation to fight.

As for the Wilson hit..... Let
Me first state I am a die hard Bruin fan and a huge Marchand fan. However...

It's a clean hit first and foremost.
Secondly what Marchand did was not stand up for his teammate. He jumped Wilson from behind and took a stupid penalty which was the game winning goal in a massive game with big implications

It's not like Marchand had any intention of fighting Wilson.

Would have preferred Quaider or Looch to stand up as a fight may have actually occurred. Jumping a player from behind like that does not show toughness of a team it a cowardly move period.

Secondly Spooner is a young kid who now knows keep your head up. Playoffs are around the corner and if he is playing it ain't getting any easier for him. He is just
Going to have to adjust.

The hit on Pasternak Saturday from Morrow was a dirty one and Quaider handled it
Perfectly. He asked to fight and let
morrow know that if it happens again he won't be asking.

Also secondly it let's the refs know hey a didn't like that hit so watch for the next one.

I understand what you mean, but our POV and the players' POV are often two different things.

Andrew Ference once jumped an opposing player for what he saw as a head shot on Marc Recchi. Turned out it wasn't a head shot, and Ference said he realized that when he saw the replay post-game. But they don't have three different camera angles, they don't have slo-mo, and what we can see is clean often looks very different at ice level, in real time.

I recall seeing both Krejci and Savard going after guys who they deemed had cheap-shotted Lucic. McQuaid once stepped up for Thornton (and was criticized for it by Pierre McQuire, who managed to totally miss the point by saying Thornton could fight his own battles). It's not about designated goons or somebody's "job," it's about sticking up for your teammates.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Given our performance against that team in the last number of years, plus the fact that this team is weaker than those past Bruins teams...I'd be very worried.

These little winning streaks after struggling through much of the season offer some hope, but don't excite me in the same way as I think it does some other folks around the board. Nothing wrong with that...just where I stand and my gut feeling. This team is not strong enough defensively and doesn't have significant firepower offensively. The only part of this team that says deep playoff run to me is Tuukka and I don't think he can do it alone.

The firepower could be significantly increased if Julien leaves the kid line alone and fits Krejci in somewhere else. Despite Krejci's so so play this year ,adding him is a significant boost.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Wilson did take a pretty healthy run at Spooner, saw him with his head down and skated in from the other wing to lay the hit.

Wilson's a pretty big guy and from the limited number of times I've seen him play , he appears to be a cherry picker. He goes after smaller and skill type players. when challenged by bigger players he lays off some. Having said that he has gone with Reeves, Martin and Boll so at least he's dropped the gloves with legit fighters.

Probably the type of guy if he was a Bruin I'd love him but since he's not I don't

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I understand what you mean, but our POV and the players' POV are often two different things.

Andrew Ference once jumped an opposing player for what he saw as a head shot on Marc Recchi. Turned out it wasn't a head shot, and Ference said he realized that when he saw the replay post-game. But they don't have three different camera angles, they don't have slo-mo, and what we can see is clean often looks very different at ice level, in real time.

I recall seeing both Krejci and Savard going after guys who they deemed had cheap-shotted Lucic. McQuaid once stepped up for Thornton (and was criticized for it by Pierre McQuire, who managed to totally miss the point by saying Thornton could fight his own battles). It's not about designated goons or somebody's "job," it's about sticking up for your teammates.

:handclap::handclap:

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015

But he did not "stick up for his teammates" Wilson was still running around all game.
Marchand sent 0 message other then yes if you hit our players we will take a stupid penalty and the other teams feel this.

Put it this way what if it was Looch who hit Pacioretty and Subban jumped Looch from behind how would you have taken it.

Every Bruins fan would
Say typical Subban runs his mouth jumps people from behind with no
Intention to fight

I'm sorry I am a Marchand fan but what he did was stupid.

There's a proper way to handle it.
The way Mcquaid handled
It on Saturday with Morrow was
Proper as I stated earlier in my other post.

The way Marchand handled it was
Cowardly and with his reputation he's lucky he only got 2 minutes.

Now the Bruins are only 5 up on Ottawa and after tonight may be 4 back of Washington.

Not saying that play cost Boston the game but it felt like we were weathering the storm an had a
Chance to do so with a 0-0 score board

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
Since Roenick is a foul mouthed moron, I assume anything that he says wrong to do, is pretty much definitely the right thing to do.

That also applies here. I usually rip Marchand for bad penalties. But this is not a bad penalty. Sticking up for one of your teammates, especially a blindside hit by a huge meathead on a small young guy like Spoons (Wilson is 6'4), is a good penalty to take. Seriously, I wish we see more of this, from the squad. If you pulled a dirty hit, the Bruins used to make you pay. Now, teams get away with lots of crap.

Kudos to Marchand, himself a small guy, taking on Tom "Meathead" Wilson for Spoons.

So by your theory it was a dirty hit because Spooner is small and Wilson is a big meathead.

So Chara should not hit anyone?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Remember i called this..Evengy Svechnikov will be drafted somewhere in 1st round but probably down a bit.If Boston has a shot at him do what you need to do to get him.He will be a bonifide stud in NHL eventually and is great on boards and sees ice with superb passing and loves going to slot with high end speed and skill and firing wristers same way a guy named Jagr use too.Kid has size like him too.78 pts on weak team in CHL in his 1st year.REMEMBER THIS NAME.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I didn't see anyone calling him GARBAGE, and if somebody did, they sure don't know what they're talking about.

He's a very good goalie, and a Saskatchewan kid to boot.

I don't know why, but he seems to get up for Bruins games, and has very good numbers against the B's. :huh:

He gets up for Bruins cause he finally got his break in that 7 game series during playoffs and won .Thats my bet.He feels thats one team he on his game for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad