Rumor: Bruins looking around for a forward...

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
If the Bruins acquire another forward.

Link

I'm thinking the plan is to load up for the playoffs at some point --drop Smith to the 4th line for Thornton (during the playoffs) and bring in a vet scoring winger for the 3rd line.

Looks like we will be players at the deadline when the prices are the highest. Hopefully no more 1st for Jagr type garbage.

It won't be Reilly SMITH dropping to the fourth line, it will be SODERBERG.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Link

I'm thinking the plan is to load up for the playoffs at some point --drop Smith to the 4th line for Thornton (during the playoffs) and bring in a vet scoring winger for the 3rd line.

Looks like we will be players at the deadline when the prices are the highest. Hopefully no more 1st for Jagr type garbage.

Almost sure every team "snoops" around for different things virtually all season long, if a GM isn`t doing that, he`s not doing his job.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
"Have been told by a couple of teams Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli has been snooping around trying to find a forward. That search will likely intensify closer to the deadline..."

Almost sure every team "snoops" around for different things virtually all season long, if a GM isn`t doing that, he`s not doing his job.

Agreed, although it is interesting that the quoted text specifies a "forward" as opposed to just snooping around. Where do folks think the team needs scoring help? The first line stays intact. There is plenty of dislike for Ericsson (somewhat unwarranted in my view), and Marchand is certainly underperforming. Someone from the third line: Yeti, Kelly, Smith or Caron? The fourth line is not exactly a scoring line though they cannot be simply dismissed; plus they are cheap.

Oh, and there's that cap thing.

The parts I like in these discussions is where we are going to offer up our less than stellar components or character players and get back actual scoring talent. In order to pick up a legit scoring forward the team will have to give up something of value (i.e. talented), likely being well paid, and most of the names mentioned are not exactly that.

If the team moved some payroll like below they would have in the neighborhood of $5M+ they could spend to pick up someone:
Code:
Ericsson    4.250 (UFA 2016)
Bartkowski   .650 (RFA next season)
Caron         .640 (RFA next season)

The issue is going to be finding a buyer. The question is going to be, can $5M buy what you need?

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
With guys like Spooner, Johnson, and Fraser in Providence I don't see the need sounds like a fake rumor.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I would like to see them acquire a C so that Kelly can play with Campbell and Paille.

If they fell the 4th line with Thornton is not going to work in the P.O.'s, might as well make a formidable checking line with the pieces. The Soderberg-XX-Smith line would get the least amount of ice time anyways.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wow, is it already that time of the year where people inexplicably call for another tour of duty here by Michael "I Think I'll Take Tonight Off" Ryder? Man this place is nothing if not consistent, which is ironic since that's the one thing Ryder has never been accused of being...:laugh:

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Lots of solid prospects in the system, a roster player plus a prospect for an upgrade has got to be in play all over the roster assuming the player brought in is affordable against the cap.

In terms of what needs to be fixed on the forwards, Marchand and the entire 4'th line come to mind. I hate to sell low on Brad, but $4.5 mil a year for what he is doing isn't cutting it. I don't know if change of scenery is what is needed, but his spot is one which isn't producing. Perhaps they're looking for a complimentary player for Bergy and Loui.

The collapse in production of the 4'th line can't be ignored. More like vinegar than Merlot at this point. The line is on track to have a total of 15 points this season. 72 points in 10/11 with Paille missing 39 games. 44 in 11/12. 37 in 48 games last season. The thing is, if Paille was moved I could see Knight slotting into his spot to gain experience, if Campbell was moved I could see Spooner on the 3'rd and Kelly or Soderberg on the 4'th to perhaps make that line effective again. So other than Thornton, I don't see the need to go outside the organization for a 4'th liner. Thornton surely is on his last contract, could they be looking to get his replacement by trade instead of Free Agency?

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Like to see them get someone to replace Thornton... tough guy who can drop the mitts with heavies but isn't a determent to the team when on the ice.

Thornton looks cooked out there and is about as useful as John Scott at this point.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why would we want Del Zotto? That scrub can't carry Krug or Dougies jock. He'd be a 7th forward with us (and I think hes been scratched by the Rags plenty last couple years.)

Hamilton and Krugs offensive games are close to fully developed and each is basically a top 10 offensive D man in the league right now. One shoots right and one shoots left which is even better.

Why again would you want Del ZOtto on this team?

This thread is full of all kinds of weird, it feels like it was bumped from 2012.

What?

MDZ put up 37 and 41 point seasons in the NHL before his 21st birthday ( currently 23 ). For an offensive dman, that's pretty impressive. And Hamilton has been scratched from more games the past two seasons than MDZ, who has been scratched from 0 games and has only missed time due to injury/flu during that span.

Krug and Hamilton are both top 10 offensive dmen in the league right now? Are you sniffing glue? Both kids are talented offensively but neither has put up a consistent resume just yet to get that label.

You're right, this thread is weird. Congratulations on making it even moreso.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
It is simple, Boston is getting better for another run. Of course they would be looking! Remember Julien doesn't like to play "rookies" in the playoffs. He loves a veteran presence.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
It won't be Reilly SMITH dropping to the fourth line, it will be SODERBERG.

Nope, Kelly.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergoron-Eriksson
Soderberg-Spooner-Smith/Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Kelly/Johnson

Caron and Thornton needed to be waived before the season even started. With 16 games already played, it's even clearer than ever that they're not NHL players.

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
I dont see this happening, have you looked at the Providence Bruins players, SPooner is better than a point a game pace KOKO is picking it up, Knight is a madman the team is flying. If anything the B's need a vet D-man. And truth to tell I am not sold on our backup goaltender. The Yeti is not going anywhere if anything he is getting to more like a top 6 player demoting him would be dumb

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
There isn't a team playing that couldn't use an upgrade someplace. People differ on where. For instance, I've been saying for years that we need a big, defensive minded center to handle the bigger wings that are playing now. The problem is finding the right guy that will fit into this team. I'm happy with this team and expect it to get even better (and make me happier:D) so I'm not pushing for any rash trades at this time. There are only a few that I'd be willing to move and everything would depend on who is coming back.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
There isn't a team playing that couldn't use an upgrade someplace. People differ on where. For instance, I've been saying for years that we need a big, defensive minded center to handle the bigger wings that are playing now. The problem is finding the right guy that will fit into this team. I'm happy with this team and expect it to get even better (and make me happier:D) so I'm not pushing for any rash trades at this time. There are only a few that I'd be willing to move and everything would depend on who is coming back.

I agree, this sounds like Brian Boyle. Was hoping the Rags not making the playoffs would make him available.

Not sold on them making it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nope, Kelly.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergoron-Eriksson
Soderberg-Spooner-Smith/Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Kelly/Johnson

Caron and Thornton needed to be waived before the season even started. With 16 games already played, it's even clearer than ever that they're not NHL players.

Your constant ray of sunshine never disappoints. :laugh:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Your constant ray of sunshine never disappoints. :laugh:

Eh, I'm generally mr. positivity when it comes to this team, and generally (cough Bergeron posts cough) I agree on (not with) this particular poster.

But in this case he's not that far off. Caron looks like a 13th forward at this point in his career. Thornton looks like a 36 year old who has spent a career being punched in the head.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Reilly Smith being dropped to the 4th (right now) is insane. Why do we whine about the 3rd line, only to be unsatisfied when they start clicking?

Trading McQ would be moronic. He's valuetown personified.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Reilly Smith being dropped to the 4th (right now) is insane.

Trading McQ would be moronic. He's valuetown personified.

I agree about Smith. He's proving right now that he can play a top 9 role and does it with a similar motor that we've seen Marchand have during his breakout seasons. I can see why Stars fans liked him so much.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think it's also possible Soderberg shifts back to C, and Kelly bumps down to bolster the 4th line. That would open up the doors for a number of potential players. We'll see how long the 3rd line stays this potent.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I agree about Smith. He's proving right now that he can play a top 9 role and does it with a similar motor that we've seen Marchand have during his breakout seasons. I can see why Stars fans liked him so much.

If anything he deserves a line promotion, not a demotion! Problem is, there's a lot of talent in the upper lines, which kind of keeps Smith in 3rd line purgatory, but dropping him to the 4th so he can play 10 min a night? Ludicrous. He's 3rd on the team in scoring FFS.

Too many folks can't distinguish between Peter Chiarelli/reality and themselves as video game GMs/fantasy.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
If anything he deserves a line promotion, not a demotion! Problem is, there's a lot of talent in the upper lines, which kind of keeps Smith in 3rd line purgatory, but dropping him to the 4th so he can play 10 min a night? Ludicrous. He's 3rd on the team in scoring FFS.

Too many folks can't distinguish between Peter Chiarelli/reality and themselves as video game GMs/fantasy.

Getting to play with Spooner and Soderberg would be a promotion. A deserved one as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad