Rumor: Bruins looking around for a forward...

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Ray Whitney would be nice but I'm not sure he'd waive to come here.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
"Snooping around" should mean trading draft picks. Spooner should not be traded at this point, barring an extremely good return..something you can't say no to.

The player I'd covet is a top six forward who COMPETES and leaves it all on the ice. Doesn't necessarily need to be a banger, but needs some skill and compete level.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Whats wrong with wanting Ryder back ? Did he not perform in the playoffs when it matters ? I think it would be a great pick up if it happened.

:laugh:

Honestly as a deadline pickup I think Ryder would be great.... here is why...

1) Knows the system/guys no real "adjustment period" he knows what is expected

2) Playoff performer

3) Fits nicely on 3rd line and can bump to 2nd incase of injuries

4) Rather devil you know (Ryder) than one you don't (Jagr 2.0)

I am all for Ryder to return, love that guy... think he isn't the worst (not best) option our there.

you're giving up assets, whether a player or draft pick, to acquire a guy you didn't want back in the first place. it was one thing flirting with ryder in free agency. all the bruins would be giving up is money. now, they'd be giving up something to go get a guy who is three years older in hopes that his "playoff performer" plaque is still nice and shiny. ask the canadiens how his "playoff performer" plaque looks after last year.

but the save! right? when he made the save against montreal in the first round! great. wonderful. we'll probably see the highlight of it for the rest of our lives. paying someone for the past is a sure fire way to get yourself into roster trouble. paying someone for what they used to be is a wonderful way to make sure that players who might actually contribute, don't.

michael ryder was vilified here when he was under contract with the bruins. you can go through the game threads, the number of "**** michael ryder" posts and threads. he's a binky. he's a reminder for some fans of what the bruins had that magical year in 2011. he made for a fun run to a championship. that doesn't mean that you reacquire him! that doesn't make him the missing piece to the offense. he's 33 now, still the one dimensional player he was at the time only slower. i don't care if he and claude would hug each other like red and andy in zihuatanejo. it's a bad move.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I wonder if they're considering moving/upgrading Eriksson.

Lines 1 and 3 are performing exactly as designed, whereas Eriksson hasn't performed or found any real chemistry with his line (yet). And while, I'm sure they'd prefer he just figure it out, and the immediate plan is to give him plenty of time to do just that, they also have to consider their options if it doesn't work.

Trades take time, sometimes months, and trading Eriksson would probably not be an easy thing to do.

member 96824

Michael Ryder's time was not enjoyable here.

How quick we forget the disappearing act that was Michael Ryder. Threads after threads.

Did you know Michael Ryder only had points in 1 game against Montreal? You'd never know that. His 11 run(I can't believe we still talk about the 2011 playoffs daily here) was quite frankly slightly overrated. Yeah, he had the save which was cool, played a big part in the Seguin game, and won a stole a game in Montreal. I'm not downplaying those moments by any means, but jeesh you would think scored every goal, made every assist, coached the team, and drove the bus through the playoffs by some of the posts here.

I can't wait until Ryder retires so his name doesn't have to pop up every year in every thread where we look for a forward. Yeah we looked at him when we got caught with our pants down after Horton left because we needed someone on the right side. Ryder said thanks but no thanks. So we should go trade for him now? Yeah, I'm sure that will convince Ryder to give it 100%.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Lines 1 and 3 are performing exactly as designed, whereas Eriksson hasn't performed or found any real chemistry with his line (yet). And while, I'm sure they'd prefer he just figure it out, and the immediate plan is to give him plenty of time to do just that, they also have to consider their options if it doesn't work.

Trades take time, sometimes months, and trading Eriksson would probably not be an easy thing to do.

I'd rather they move Smith up and give Spooner some time bewteen the Swedes before they decided to sell low on Eriksson.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I had this thought myself. Wouldn't shock me one bit.

Personally, I really like him. I can't help but think that that line could be downright awesome if he and Marchand get going and Bergeron returns to 100%. But you can't wait around forever.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
:laugh:

Honestly as a deadline pickup I think Ryder would be great.... here is why...

1) Knows the system/guys no real "adjustment period" he knows what is expected

2) Playoff performer

3) Fits nicely on 3rd line and can bump to 2nd incase of injuries

4) Rather devil you know (Ryder) than one you don't (Jagr 2.0)

I am all for Ryder to return, love that guy... think he isn't the worst (not best) option our there.

You neglected to mention he's on a two-year deal at a $3.5 million cap hit.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I wonder myself but I can't believe they think that they've given this enough time. He's a top NHL winger who should get a lot of time to figure it out as should the team. I would be considering swapping Iginla and Eriksson way before a major roster move but even that I'd wait a few more.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'd rather they move Smith up and give Spooner some time bewteen the Swedes before they decided to sell low on Eriksson.

Wouldn't completely surprise me if they did. They will give him a little more time to adjust, but overall swapping Eriksson into Seguins spot is an offensive downgrade.

Fortunately (and unfortunately?), Iginla/Lucic/Krejci is working out pretty well, but I still think swapping Iginla/Eriksson would be beneficial to the team to give them more versatility in the top 2 lines. People have said it before, but Eriksson is redundant on a line with Bergeron. The Bergeron/Marchand combo needs that offensive threat.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
It's probably the same subset of folks here that are still lamenting the trades of Kris Versteeg and Vladimir Sobotka. Sometimes letting go of your binky is a hard thing to do...:laugh:

The Blake Wheeler revisionist history posters are the worst ones. Like nobody remembers at all what he was like as a Bruin, he needed a change of scenery and it worked out for him, good for him. The Bruins still didn't lose that trade (it was a win-win) and I still wouldn't trust that guy for a second if he was brought back.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

If they are, I wonder what they would consider an upgrade. A similar skilled/two way winger, but a RH shot? Or a power forward to help give the line some muscle?

I prefer to keep Eriksson. Love his game, love the player. I think he'll be fine as the season goes on. BUT... if I had to make a trade, my man crush for Charlie Coyle cannot be ignored, lol. RH shot, power forward, impressive size mixed with skill, local kid, and a quality that's a Chia favorite: the ability to play both wing and center.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Blake Wheeler revisionist history posters are the worst ones. Like nobody remembers at all what he was like as a Bruin, he needed a change of scenery and it worked out for him, good for him. The Bruins still didn't lose that trade (it was a win-win) and I still wouldn't trust that guy for a second if he was brought back.

Ha! I liked the size Wheeler had and his hands, but the man repeatedly tripped over the blue line every shift. It was maddening. :laugh:

nycbruins*

I've been on board for Ryder the last 2 seasons when the 3rd line sucked & they had cap space. I am not on board with him in the top 6 or making $3.5 million on 3rd line, especially now with no cap space.

They should've resigned him for 2 years after the cup. They should not want him anymore

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

They are in deep if they feel they have to do that. Eriksson has one of the best value contracts in the NHL right now.

Jeff L

May 28, 2012
Massachusetts
The idea of trading Eriksson is ludicrous for so many reasons.

Any move the Bruins make won't be a major one because they're right up against the cap. I suppose if Caron is traded, that would help; maybe a retained salary deal for an impending UFA is a possibility too. Campbell and Thornton are going nowhere because they're the guys that you need during playoff games (yeah, Thornton has been bad, but Ference was bad last season too and he still ramped it up in the playoffs, Thornton is easier to sit out though). McQuaid is a guy I would look into trading if Bart keeps impressing, but then the B's are short a defenseman - a stay-at-home, hard-nosed one at that. They'd have to bring in a 7th d-man, so why bother since they've already got 7.

So I'm pretty sure that barring something unforeseen, this is pretty much the roster for the season. But I'm sure Chia will pull a gritty veteran out of the scrap heap at the trade deadline. Another idea: I wouldn't be opposed to signing Simon Gagne or Vinny Prospal if they wanna play for under a million, but I think I'd rather Smith stay on the third line.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing column - this guy been putting statements out like this for years.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Nothing column - this guy been putting statements out like this for years.

...and when was the last time Bruce Garrioch got a Bruins rumor right? Oh yeah.... never

From 2004: 2 of Garrioch's craziest rumors: Samsonov for O'Neil. A pick/prospect for Leetch and Barnaby

And it got worse since then.

It's Garrioch. He should be up there with Ekland on the worth of discussing one of his said rumors.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
my man crush for Charlie Coyle cannot be ignored.

I have the same man crush. he's going to be a stud in this league for a long time. very good player, a good kid too.

trading Eriksson at this point would be dumb. Marchand had a slow start but is looking better, Bergeron was recovering from injuries this summer and I think looked a little off but is looking better recently and Eriksson is trying to figure out this new system and his new line mates still. there is way too much skill on that line for them not to figure it out. just got to be patient.

people need to move on from Ryder, and just thinking about Brian Boyle in a Bruins uni makes me want to puke. can't stand the guy.

one guy that I like is Devin Setoguchi. he can put the puck in the net and is a right handed shot who plays with some grit. he is also a UFA at the end of the year. it's gonna be tough for the Jets to make the playoffs in the west, I think Setoguchi would be a good pickup. maybe try and get Peluso in the deal as well to replace Thornton this year or next.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

It is kind of ironic if they do trade Eriksson. He was supposed to be a much better fit than Seguin but hasn't been thus far. With the emergence of Smith and Soderberg maybe it is an option they are looking at.I think I would rather have Smith playing with Bergeron and Marchand. PC does not have an ego,he will bite the bullit and admit when they were wrong and reload.I hope Eriksson turns it on but like Seguin he doesn't seem like a Bruin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->