Rumor: Bruins looking around for a forward...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Link

I'm thinking the plan is to load up for the playoffs at some point --drop Smith to the 4th line for Thornton (during the playoffs) and bring in a vet scoring winger for the 3rd line.

Looks like we will be players at the deadline when the prices are the highest. Hopefully no more 1st for Jagr type garbage.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
Is there an actual rumor you are referring too, or are you just guessing that's what this team will do? I don't disagree that they may look to get a real scorer, but is this your opinion or are you basing it off of actual rumors?

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Is there an actual rumor you are referring too, or are you just guessing that's what this team will do? I don't disagree that they may look to get a real scorer, but is this your opinion or are you basing it off of actual rumors?

From the link.

"OFF THE GLASS

How tough is it to make a deal? Nine teams are already spending into their long-term injury allowance and another 10 are less than $1 million below the cap. The only deals that can take place are dollar-for-dollar ... Have been told by a couple of teams Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli has been snooping around trying to find a forward. That search will likely intensify closer to the deadline ... Left wing Dany Heatley’s days are numbered with the Wild and Europe may be his only option. Scheduled to become a UFA on July 1, Minnesota GM Chuck Fletcher has been unsuccessful in his attempts to trade the struggling winger to anybody who might be willing to take on the final year of his $7.5—million contract. No such luck."

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

This was in the link you either didn't follow or didn't read:

"Have been told by a couple of teams Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli has been snooping around trying to find a forward. That search will likely intensify closer to the deadline..."

My question is, who will they move to acquire said forward? Spooner? Johnson? Yeti? Eriksson?

tnt410

Nov 23, 2008
There's a linked article from Garrioch in the OP, who says
". . have been told by a couple of teams Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli has been snooping around trying to find a forward. That search will likely intensify closer to the deadline ..."
towards the latter half of the article.
Interesting, if true. Certainly like that PC is not complacent.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
is this the year they finally end up with hemsky?

I sure hope not. Hemsky is now 30 years old and is a total of -31 over the past 3 seasons. If people were bashing Seguin for his lack of defense, they are gonna ROAST Hemsky! Not to mention he is on a 5m per year contract. Oh and he hasn't scored 20 goals since his age 25 season... Yeah... No thanks!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hemskal01.html

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
This is interesting. Not sure who PC would move to get that "said" forward.

Still wouldn't be suprised if PC tries to go for Chiasson again..

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Interesting, team doesn't have any glaring needs up front.

Not based on this rumour and why would the Bruins be overly interested in del Zotto?
We have a glaring need, team speed. We are too slow to push back when teams really bring it. We must have the slowest top 6 in the league. Don't get me wrong, I love our top 6, I just wish we were faster.

I could see Chiarelli looking for a 4th line option. Shawn Thornton has been plain terrible all year and Greg Campbell has been no screaming hell.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Is this serious?

We got a kid in Spooner who will give us 10x what that washed up scrub Ryder would and he can't get a game and people think we need another forward?

Nah, I'm done with 30 something plugs. Unless you make a blockbuster deal where Marchand brings back a more talented first liner or something to that effect this is moronic.

Where the hell is another vet gonna play? We gonna bench Soderberg again whos been our best forward after Krejci and Lucic like we did last year for some pos like dogavins?

Awful idea.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not particularly seeing the need for a forward (so see the need for speed though-team as a whole is slow and deals poorly with speed) but I think Providence has potential replacements for Thornton (not fighting parts but energy style yes).

I think Soup's broken leg set him back on his conditioning/training for the off season. I think he and Bergy will both improve.

But I can't see giving up picks and prospects for another veteran.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Any chance Adam McQuaid is traded to the Rangers in a package with Del Zotto heading it?

That's funny, because I literally just got done typing that I wonder how McQuaid could be viewed around the league as a trade chip, what with the emergence of the three young Bruin defenders. I don't know if MDZ is someone I'd particularly be interested off the Rangers squad....but I might have to ponder that. However, the rumor in the article was a whole sentence long and mentioned zero specifics.

As for the sentence-long rumor....I'm pretty sure that most GM's are always looking around for ways to improve their team, and that speaking to other clubs is part of that deal, so I'm wondering if there's a "nothing to see here" kinda thing. I understand people view lack of speed as a problem, and I'd suspect you'd ask a speedy team that lacks the physicality the Bruins play with, and they'd probably say that even with their speed, they struggle with physical teams....so I don't know if that fact alone is enough to spark a need for a trade.

There's such significant depth for this year's team and while the answer may change closer to the deadline, I don't see any real glaring weaknesses with the 20-man roster.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That's funny, because I literally just got done typing that I wonder how McQuaid could be viewed around the league as a trade chip, what with the emergence of the three young Bruin defenders. I don't know if MDZ is someone I'd particularly be interested off the Rangers squad....but I might have to ponder that. However, the rumor in the article was a whole sentence long and mentioned zero specifics.

As for the sentence-long rumor....I'm pretty sure that most GM's are always looking around for ways to improve their team, and that speaking to other clubs is part of that deal, so I'm wondering if there's a "nothing to see here" kinda thing. I understand people view lack of speed as a problem, and I'd suspect you'd ask a speedy team that lacks the physicality the Bruins play with, and they'd probably say that even with their speed, they struggle with physical teams....so I don't know if that fact alone is enough to spark a need for a trade.

There's such significant depth for this year's team and while the answer may change closer to the deadline, I don't see any real glaring weaknesses with the 20-man roster.

Why would we want Del Zotto? That scrub can't carry Krug or Dougies jock. He'd be a 7th forward with us (and I think hes been scratched by the Rags plenty last couple years.)

Hamilton and Krugs offensive games are close to fully developed and each is basically a top 10 offensive D man in the league right now. One shoots right and one shoots left which is even better.

Why again would you want Del ZOtto on this team?

This thread is full of all kinds of weird, it feels like it was bumped from 2012.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Why would we want Del Zotto? That scrub can't carry Krug or Dougies jock. He'd be a 7th forward with us (and I think hes been scratched by the Rags plenty last couple years.)

Hamilton and Krugs offensive games are close to fully developed and each is basically a top 10 offensive D man in the league right now. One shoots right and one shoots left which is even better.

Why again would you want Del ZOtto on this team?

This thread is full of all kinds of weird, it feels like it was bumped from 2012.

Uh...

That's funny, because I literally just got done typing that I wonder how McQuaid could be viewed around the league as a trade chip, what with the emergence of the three young Bruin defenders. I don't know if MDZ is someone I'd particularly be interested off the Rangers squad ...but I might have to ponder that. However, the rumor in the article was a whole sentence long and mentioned zero specifics.

To come up with a reasonable counter to the dude's question, I'd have to take a closer look at what the Rangers have available. Nowhere in there do I commit to purchasing my first MDZ Spoked-B sweater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad