Rumor: Bruins looking around for a forward...

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Rumours in Toronto (Sportsnet) mentioned the Senators being interested in MDZ. They need a puck moving defenseman as the loss of Gonchar has hurt them more then expected.

Also, a possible Gleason for John Michael Lies rumour.

I personally think will wait until later in the year to make a move. I was really impressed with Smith last night. Playing his first game in MSG, kid was calm and showed some great offensive talent.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Rumours in Toronto (Sportsnet) mentioned the Senators being interested in MDZ. They need a puck moving defenseman as the loss of Gonchar has hurt them more then expected.

Also, a possible Gleason for John Michael Lies rumour.

I personally think will wait until later in the year to make a move. I was really impressed with Smith last night. Playing his first game in MSG, kid was calm and showed some great offensive talent.

I hope the Hurricanes get much more back than that. Gleason isn't talked about as much as he should be. Great defender.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I hope the Hurricanes get much more back than that. Gleason isn't talked about as much as he should be. Great defender.

Carolina is desperate for an offensive defenseman and Rutherford was scouting the Marlies.

JML makes a bit less, but Gleason, from reports, has struggled and has a $4million dollar tag attached to him and that could be too rich for the Hurricanes.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Carolina is desperate for an offensive defenseman and Rutherford was scouting the Marlies.

JML makes a bit less, but Gleason, from reports, has struggled and has a $4million dollar tag attached to him and that could be too rich for the Hurricanes.

Hmm, indeed. Wasn't JML on waivers earlier this year? Canes probably can't afford both salaries.

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
What was tried in the past that didn't work was rolling the following defensive personnel out there:

Wideman, Ward, Montador, Mark Stuart, Hnidy.

I'm going to go with that mess over Peverley/Kelly being an upgrade over Wheeler/Krejci.

Part of the defensive upgrade was Kelly and Peverly. That's all I'm saying.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Hmm, indeed. Wasn't JML on waivers earlier this year? Canes probably can't afford both salaries.

Well that's why they'd unload Gleason and take a savings of $500,000 a year while taking on a shorter contract (I believe).

Again, all rumours right now, but Carolina needs a PMD.

And yes, Liles was on waivers before.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Well that's why they'd unload Gleason and take a savings of $500,000 a year while taking on a shorter contract (I believe).

Again, all rumours right now, but Carolina needs a PMD.

And yes, Liles was on waivers before.

If I may

MDZ isn't a rumor.

Seems like every year something happens. Don't think Sather likes him that much. Scratched for 3 games now?

I get it, everyone wants to talk about the Garrioch rumor that is just that - a bunch of hogwash if you ask me.

But MDZ's name is out there - an actual real NHL player being talked about in trades.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
But MDZ's name is out there - an actual real NHL player being talked about in trades.

Makes sense.

You'd think with a new coach the kid would've gotten a fresh start... but he continues to not get minutes/sit on the bench.

Girardi/Staal/McDonagh is a pretty solid top 3. Playing MDZ as your 5th / 6th defenseman is a waste.

Should be interesting to see what he fetches on the open market.

I was impressed by the Rangers "team speed" last night...but they need another goal scorer badly. Perhaps Cammalleri?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Allow me to clarify

Not going to answer all the PM's (excluding you Mike ;) )

So here it is:

I never said the Bruins were after MDZ. A poster last night said forget about the forwards, he wants a top 4 d that can eat up some minutes.

I simply asked if MDZ fits that description because I know his name has come up in a trade as recently as yesterday - and thanks to Greek physique, reported by Sportsnet this morning ( I wonder how much they'd pay me to go work there ).

Point is that most of this thread can go in the proposal thread because that's what it seems to be. The original article in the OP : Bruins snooping around for a forward, likely to make deal at deadline. Well duh. So many things can change between now and then, they aren't snooping around now for deadline day, or for now for that matter. Blanket statement that no one else is reporting and now a week and a half old.

Don't matter to me, its your discussion. If you're into that stuff - discuss away. A poster made a point about what he'd like to see - I gave him a name, one that is out there ;)

Kaoz*

Any truth to the Brayden Schenn rumors mentioned on TSN?

Odd cause the kid has had a great start but considering the GM, not out of the realm of possibility at all. Not sure what the right deal or right fit might be, but no doubt it's well out of Boston's price range.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
It'd be so hard for me to root for B Schenn if he ever came here. Such a punk.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Who cares and why should you care? It's called spending money wisely. If you r third line center is more like a 4th line player making 3 mill a year, you have to ask yourself, can the team get better value for their money's worth? In a vacuum the answer is yes. Realistically, it's up for debate depending on what side of the fence you're standing on in the " Is Spooner ready? " camp.

Flash forward next year. With the team close to the cap, Iginla, Krug, Smith, Bartkowski and Shawn Thornton up for contracts, what do you do?

Well, first people are going to say dump Thornton and Caron and keep the rest. Thornton and Caron are the 12 and 13th forwards on the team and they make under 2 million combined, so your replacements are going to have to do the same.

Krug and Bartkowski are going to get raises, with Krug getting the bigger payraise.

Iginla will most likely get a raise unless he moves on or takes another bonus heavy contract.

Smith will most likely get a payraise from his 900k.

So being so close to the cap and certain guys looking to cash in next offseason, they'll evaluate. And they'll look at guys like Kelly and ask " do we really need a 3 million dollar a year third/fourth liner when we have a cheaper, younger, and more talented player waiting in the wings? ". That's why you should care. If they keep Kelly, they'll have to dump contracts somewhere else. And honestly, I value the other tradeable parts on the team more than I do Kelly.

I didn't make myself clear, partly because I mis-read your first post.

I meant that if Kelly gets moved to the 4th line this year, who cares what he earns? His ice time and role prolly wouldn't change much anyway.

After re-reading your first post, I see that you were talking about next year, in which case I agree witchya.

My bad.

Kaoz*

I'll take Simmonds or even Hartnell lol

You'd have to think Edmonton would be the likely partner in that situation. A deal around Eberle or one of the other youngsters and Schenn just makes too much sense to ignore.

Too bad neither team has a goalie.

Avengers*

I offer you Max Pacioeretty for Jordan Caron and 1st Round Pick 2014

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks Dom. What the hell is wrong with Holmgren? Guy runs his team like an NHL14 franchise.

Don't know Kaoz. I would have loved to have run that team 2-3 years ago.

As for all the talk, guys like Garrioch, and not so much guys like Dregger and Bobby Mac, cuz TSN really doesn't need the page hits.... its a bad time of year for them. Nothing much happening for "insiders" Roster freeze is 3 weeks away then we are back for about a month before the Olympic break (and I believe another roster freeze)...they need stuff to happen to direct traffic and get the "hits" which is why you're going to get a whole bunch of "rumors" "ifs" "maybes"

It's going to be worse this year because of the Olympics.... fans just have to be picky aboiut what they read and what they choose to believe as fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad