Rumor: Bruins looking around for a forward...

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kelly`s line arguably put this team on it`s back against the Habs in the Cup year when the rest of this lineup was...well....

Do you think he's capable of being that player today at age 33? Honest question. The inability to generate shots on goal and produce offensively is a concern. He's not playing with Bourque and Peverley anymore.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would not be opposed to swapping Soderberg and Marchand for a few games. Both lines have been decent as of late, but Marchand was terrible last night and Yeti has been good all year.

Time to give him a chance to see if he can produce with some more offensice players.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Unfortunately, Kelly isn't going anywhere right now. Unless he totally falls off flat from now to the deadline, he'll probably stay with the team for the rest of the year. However, it's hard for me to see him being the team's third line center next year with Spooner kicking down the door and forcing his way on the team.

A Paille -- Campbell -- Kelly 4th line would be pretty solid, but Kelly makes too much $$$ to be on the 4th line.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Unfortunately, Kelly isn't going anywhere right now. Unless he totally falls off flat from now to the deadline, he'll probably stay with the team for the rest of the year. However, it's hard for me to see him being the team's third line center next year with Spooner kicking down the door and forcing his way on the team.

A Paille -- Campbell -- Kelly 4th line would be pretty solid, but Kelly makes too much $$$ to be on the 4th line.

The 3rd line C is a spot where we need an upgrade for the Cup run. Yeti and Smith have shown to be great with the puck. Kelly not so much. He would be perfect for the 4th line+PK in the playoffs and would bump Thornton to the pressbox.

Hopefully, Chia can get a two-way veteran F at the deadline and make it happen.

KIL
March-Bergy-Loui
Yeti-Deadline acquisition-Smith
Paille-Kelly-Campbell

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

Why do we care how much players on certain lines earn?

If the team spends to the cap, who cares whether X percent is spent on line #1, and Y percent on line #4, etc.?

Kelly's minutes prolly wouldn't change a whole lot anyway, in your scenario. That's a stronger 4th line than they have now, IMO, so CJ would prolly narrow the distribution between L3 & L4.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I would not be opposed to swapping Soderberg and Marchand for a few games. Both lines have been decent as of late, but Marchand was terrible last night and Yeti has been good all year.

Time to give him a chance to see if he can produce with some more offensice players.

Yes, I would do this.Soderberg is displaying creativity, I didn't think he had.Almost every shift he is creating a scoring chance.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why do we care how much players on certain lines earn?

If the team spends to the cap, who cares whether X percent is spent on line #1, and Y percent on line #4, etc.?

Kelly's minutes prolly wouldn't change a whole lot anyway, in your scenario. That's a stronger 4th line than they have now, IMO, so CJ would prolly narrow the distribution between L3 & L4.

It's about getting value back for what you paid for. The further down the lineup you go, the less you want your players to make.

Would you want a 10 million dollar a year player on your 4th line? I thought so.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
It's about getting value back for what you paid for. The further down the lineup you go, the less you want your players to make.

Would you want a 10 million dollar a year player on your 4th line? I thought so.

Who cares? The team spends to the cap and they make up the lines as they see fit.

If Kelly between Pie and Campbell makes them a better team, why do I care how much he makes?

If the team spends to the cap, and the team sux, then I care.

nycbruins*

Going into a season, you care about cap hits and what line they're on. Once you're in the season & you are in position to put a guy with a $3 million cap hit, leadership & pk abilities, and a no-trade clause, on the 4th line? Who cares, put him there.

But I'm not selling Kelly out yet. That line looked great last night & kells should get the opportunity to continue on that line

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
So the only variable was Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder vs. a Kelly based 3rd line?

No upgrades like say Seidenberg or a maturing Boychuk on D?

No otherwordly performances by Thomas and Rask in net?

Just a defensive presence on the 3rd line? Oooookkkkkaaayyyyy

Using a line with Wheeler on it to make a point just isn't persuasive. As you point out there were many factors that contributed, but one of the main ones was trading Wheeler and Stuart in a package that netted Peverly andthe separate deal for Kelly, creating a third line with two defensively conscious centers who had an offensive flare that was strong enough to enable Ryder....

The example you are using is the perfect example of something that was tried in the past that didn't work as well as what you would propose moving a way from.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Using a line with Wheeler on it to make a point just isn't persuasive. As you point out there were many factors that contributed, but one of the main ones was trading Wheeler and Stuart in a package that netted Peverly andthe separate deal for Kelly, creating a third line with two defensively conscious centers who had an offensive flare that was strong enough to enable Ryder....

The example you are using is the perfect example of something that was tried in the past that didn't work as well as what you would propose moving a way from.

What was tried in the past that didn't work was rolling the following defensive personnel out there:

Wideman, Ward, Montador, Mark Stuart, Hnidy.

I'm going to go with that mess over Peverley/Kelly being an upgrade over Wheeler/Krejci.

member 96824

It lead to the most dangerous offensive team we've had in a long long time. Had we had a defense that was built for anything, we would have gotten past Carolina and probably given Pitt a run for their money.

3 scoring lines, just how the Bruins were supposed to be built. Just like how we won the cup.

Now all of a sudden, we shouldn't expect all 3 lines to score?

At least Soderberg is coming around.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Who cares? The team spends to the cap and they make up the lines as they see fit.

If Kelly between Pie and Campbell makes them a better team, why do I care how much he makes?

If the team spends to the cap, and the team sux, then I care.

Who cares and why should you care? It's called spending money wisely. If you r third line center is more like a 4th line player making 3 mill a year, you have to ask yourself, can the team get better value for their money's worth? In a vacuum the answer is yes. Realistically, it's up for debate depending on what side of the fence you're standing on in the " Is Spooner ready? " camp.

Flash forward next year. With the team close to the cap, Iginla, Krug, Smith, Bartkowski and Shawn Thornton up for contracts, what do you do?

Well, first people are going to say dump Thornton and Caron and keep the rest. Thornton and Caron are the 12 and 13th forwards on the team and they make under 2 million combined, so your replacements are going to have to do the same.

Krug and Bartkowski are going to get raises, with Krug getting the bigger payraise.

Iginla will most likely get a raise unless he moves on or takes another bonus heavy contract.

Smith will most likely get a payraise from his 900k.

So being so close to the cap and certain guys looking to cash in next offseason, they'll evaluate. And they'll look at guys like Kelly and ask " do we really need a 3 million dollar a year third/fourth liner when we have a cheaper, younger, and more talented player waiting in the wings? ". That's why you should care. If they keep Kelly, they'll have to dump contracts somewhere else. And honestly, I value the other tradeable parts on the team more than I do Kelly.

nycbruins*

I thought we were talking about looking for a forward THIS season, right?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why don't you throw us a new bone, Dom...you hearing anything interesting these days?

There isn't any.

All this discussion is based on Bruce Garrioch who says the Bruins are snooping around for a forward and may make a deal at trade deadline.

It's been over a week. If there was any momentum on this, someone other than Garrioch would have heard.

As for trade deadline : well duh. Every team looks to be trading at deadline, even those not in playoff picture will be looking to dump players. It's a no brainor. And it's what, 3 months away?

Even the possibility of moving Caron has gone into the garbage disposal

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I'm a Kelly guy. So I don't think in any way we need an upgrade now.
Right now I also do think it's to early.

My main concern is a second pairing D. I don't believe Bart can eat huge minutes, Krug on big D physical minutes I M not sold.

Tonight exposes my fear - Seindengerg seems out, Chara is getting hit and that leaves us Boychuk and Hamilton.

Hamilton is our diamond in progress - I have extreme huge expectation but he is extremely young for big tight 4 pts games after Christmas.

That leaves McQuaid, Bart and Krug.

My main concern is really another 2nd pairing D. Now where to find it and at wha cost remains the question.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I know this rumor is BS but just gonna throw out a few names that I think would be a good fit here...Brouwer, Setoguchi, Jeremy Morin. Morin is a chicago prospect, unproven but plays a Bruin style game. he's NHL ready but can't crack the hawks lineup.

even though I kind of hate him, I think Brouwer would be a great fit here. who knows if he is even available, I'm just spitballing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm a Kelly guy. So I don't think in any way we need an upgrade now.
Right now I also do think it's to early.

My main concern is a second pairing D. I don't believe Bart can eat huge minutes, Krug on big D physical minutes I M not sold.

Tonight exposes my fear - Seindengerg seems out, Chara is getting hit and that leaves us Boychuk and Hamilton.

Hamilton is our diamond in progress - I have extreme huge expectation but he is extremely young for big tight 4 pts games after Christmas.

That leaves McQuaid, Bart and Krug.

My main concern is really another 2nd pairing D. Now where to find it and at wha cost remains the question.

A guy like Michael Del Zotto fit that ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad