Confirmed with Link: Bruins/Leafs - James Greenway for future consideration

Babajingo

23 years old. According to lots of people here, Zboril (24 yrs old) is still a prospect. So this guy has at least another year to mature into the next Pronger.

What other team's dumpster can Sweeny go diving in next?

Good size though. Wonder why TOR gave up. Was he a FA? makes sense.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I’d love to know the breakdown of all those PIMs.
Hoping for truculence.
I watched him a lot when he was at Wisconsin, and it was definitely truculence......but he also took a lot of dumb and lazy penalties. I also wasn’t a fan when he decided to transfer, instead of sticking around and competing for his ice time.

Hopefully he’s grown and matured. He’s got the physical tools and the mean streak, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
But i thought Sweeney only likes small defensemen because he was a small defenseman? What's going on here?
Maybe he's sick of watching the B's smurf Dmen getting spanked come playoff time when the physicality gets amped up

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I hope he is not another Wiley Sherman / Nick Wolff clone.
Cut and pasted scouting report below:

-Puck-handling Under Pressure
Greenway can be pretty skilled with the puck when he has time and space, but it's a different story when he's facing a lot of pressure. Greenway too often resorts to punting the puck up the ice or turning the puck over rather than making a play to keep possession.
-Defense A Work in Progress
He might have the potential to be a shutdown defender one day, but Greenway isn't quite there yet. He still has the tendency to get a bit lost when defending in his own zone. He's much better as a one-on-one defender against the rush when he can use his big reach to take away space.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Maybe he's sick of watching the B's smurf Dmen getting spanked come playoff time when the physicality gets amped up

Replace Tinordi with some younger similar players for depth. Tinordi is almost 30 no point bringing him back.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I always remember how we got Boychuk and McQuaid in little nothing prospect trades and they developed into legit players. So I see no harm in trying to find talent. Maybe he doesn't hit and is an AHL guy. Not like it really costs us anything.

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
I highly doubt he ever plays an NHL game. No way the leafs would have traded him for free if they thought he had a chance to become an NHL player.

Reactions: Lo97

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I highly doubt he ever plays an NHL game. No way the leafs would have traded him for free if they thought he had a chance to become an NHL player.
Same can be said about other prospects teams let go.

Not a huge successs story, but Bruins let a handful of prospects go that went on to have NHL small careers on the bottom half of rosters.
Roussell, Hutchinson, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyways, it's a low risk move, with a low reward if it works out. In my opinion.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He's a very interesting prospect, he looks more like a middle linebacker than hockey player, moves very well but isn't fit, tons of talent, scary in fact
My take is this, he was a freakishly gifted athlete in his formative development years and things were so easy for him he really didn't pay attention to the small details in the game that would have vaulted him to more than just an average D-1 player
Assuming they sign him(and I would) getting him to buy into becoming a Pro and doing all the little things that goes along with it is going to make or break if this guy was worth the effort

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I always remember how we got Boychuk and McQuaid in little nothing prospect trades and they developed into legit players. So I see no harm in trying to find talent. Maybe he doesn't hit and is an AHL guy. Not like it really costs us anything.

this honestly has some parallels to McQuaid

Reactions: Gordoff

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
this honestly has some parallels to McQuaid
Its possible, but remember both Mcquaid and Boychuk were 2nd rounders. When Boychuk hit the AHL he started winning awards right off the bat, Mcquaid might be more of a comparison. I would take that! The bruins need a big body that will make people think twice going into the corners.

Keep in mind the leafs had to move the kid, their rights to him were about to expire.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Its possible, but remember both Mcquaid and Boychuk were 2nd rounders. When Boychuk hit the AHL he started winning awards right off the bat, Mcquaid might be more of a comparison. I would take that! The bruins need a big body that will make people think twice going into the corners.

Keep in mind the leafs had to move the kid, their rights to him were about to expire.

greenway was a mid 3rd so not that far off- I think the same thing happened with McQuaid where the jackets held his rights and dealt them for something before they expired (was Marquardt if I remember correctly… I was a young, spry teenage member of the boards at the time and now I’m a washed up 30 year old member of the boards)

Edit: I stand corrected, it was a 5th that turned into Jamie Benn lololol

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Same can be said about other prospects teams let go.

Not a huge successs story, but Bruins let a handful of prospects go that went on to have NHL small careers on the bottom half of rosters.
Roussell, Hutchinson, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyways, it's a low risk move, with a low reward if it works out. In my opinion.
Versteeg is one I think of. We let Robert Laing go on waivers too once upon a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad