Bruins injury thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hope it isn't a major break requiring surgery. How close is Krug I wonder, they had talked about him skating last week.

Supposedly he was going to start skating this weekend, but based on the timeline they gave when he went down, he is still probably 3 weeks out from returning to the lineup.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Backes took some hits in just those two Edmonton games. In that dust up with Caggiula he tried to hit him right before the two hander and Caggiula got his elbow up towards his chin, then when Strome blindsided him he couldn't really catch his fall and might've hit his head on the ice, looked stunned.

And we all saw Benning's hit in the 2nd game. Didn't look that bad but multiple shots to the head in a short time can be bad news. Have to hope he's ok.

Reactions: BMC and Cronuss

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Considering his concussion history, David Backes’s latest blow is worrisome - The Boston Globe

OTTAWA — The Bruins were wrapping up their four-game road swing here Tuesday night, with veteran David Backes back home in Boston, sidelined again by what could be another concussion for the 34-year-old forward.

“I imagine he’s a little despondent, right?” said coach Bruce Cassidy following the morning workout. “He went into this offseason looking to change his body composition — or whatever you want to call it — to try to get closer to how the game’s going. Then to get knocked out, to get knocked out of action this early in the season . . .

“I don’t know how long it’s going to be, but I imagine he’s a little disappointed in not getting a better result. I’d guess that’s his state of mind right now.”

Backes, just starting Chapter 3 of his five-year $30 million free-agent deal, acknowledged in the spring that he has suffered a handful of concussions during his NHL career. He now has had at least three since joining the Bruins — provided the hit last Thursday by Matt Benning in Edmonton was concussive. He returned home for testing, probably for a neurological assessment, after not feeling well enough to suit up for Saturday’s game in Vancouver.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
What impact might this loss of Backes have on a) the current lineup and b) if it's bad, and I hope it isn't, and LTIR money is involved, players moving forward?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What impact might this loss of Backes have on a) the current lineup and b) if it's bad, and I hope it isn't, and LTIR money is involved, players moving forward?

I have a feeling this may be it for Backes. I rip on him a lot but I do feel bad for him as concussions (multiple) have an affect on quality of living. Backes should sit down with his family and make a decision whether or not to continue playing.

That being said, if he does happen to go on LTIR the Bruins have a boat load of cap space to explore whatever they need via trade or Free Agency in the off-season.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I have a feeling this may be it for Backes. I rip on him a lot but I do feel bad for him as concussions (multiple) have an affect on quality of living. Backes should sit down with his family and make a decision whether or not to continue playing.

That being said, if he does happen to go on LTIR the Bruins have a boat load of cap space to explore whatever they need via trade or Free Agency in the off-season.
I agree and had the same out look on him, seems we are not allowed by some to have concern for him, even if I think his on ice skill has fallen off. Being older and living a healthy life and with kids, well maybe I see it different then someone who sits in their parents basement angry texting about everything. When you look at a younger child sleeping or playing you drift to the future and think about it. It chages the way you approach things, do you really need more then 58.5 million beyond July 2nd.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I agree and had the same out look on him, seems we are not allowed by some to have concern for him, even if I think his on ice skill has fallen off. Being older and living a healthy life and with kids, well maybe I see it different then someone who sits in their parents basement angry texting about everything. When you look at a younger child sleeping or playing you drift to the future and think about it. It chages the way you approach things, do you really need more then 58.5 million beyond July 2nd.
Sorta weird post there. Don't know anyone here who dislikes the guy as a person. Most of his critics, like me, don't even blame him for his failings as much as we, rather, lay blame at those who acquired him for the money and term he was given. The likelihood that he would become slow and ineffective as he got older, while obvious to most rational people either in or out of the hockey world, somehow escaped Sweeney. As did the likelihood that a concussion was possible for a player like him in today's league. Sweeney likes to swing for the fences (see draft picks 13, 14, 15 in 2015 where he bucks conventional wisdom and doesn't use even one of them to get Barzal); he swung for the fences with Beleskey and Backes and the non-Barzal pick. We'd be a real contender now if he had just done the conventional thing. I'm a BU grad so I don't get the Harvard mindset, but I think there is some merit to the quip that they sometimes think they're smarter than everyone else.

Even without a concussion, I think "the game is basically done" with Backes. With a concussion, I clearly think "he should be done with the game", for the reasons you cite.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Sorta weird post there. Don't know anyone here who dislikes the guy as a person. Most of his critics, like me, don't even blame him for his failings as much as we, rather, lay blame at those who acquired him for the money and term he was given. The likelihood that he would become slow and ineffective as he got older, while obvious to most rational people either in or out of the hockey world, somehow escaped Sweeney. As did the likelihood that a concussion was possible for a player like him in today's league. Sweeney likes to swing for the fences (see draft picks 13, 14, 15 in 2015 where he bucks conventional wisdom and doesn't use even one of them to get Barzal); he swung for the fences with Beleskey and Backes and the non-Barzal pick. We'd be a real contender now if he had just done the conventional thing. I'm a BU grad so I don't get the Harvard mindset, but I think there is some merit to the quip that they sometimes think they're smarter than everyone else.

Even without a concussion, I think "the game is basically done" with Backes. With a concussion, I clearly think "he should be done with the game", for the reasons you cite.

This was geared to the posters who fail to see the long term future of a fine gentleman and his family. I was conveying my perspective on growing older with kids. Versus why he should continue, he has had an excellent career and made millions. I also never mentioned anyone disliking him. It was in regards to some people who disliked hearing this point of view. They have their own reasons having him back playing, in my view they pale by comparison. I am sure Marc Savard would have another take on that whole debate on health versus wealth. When wealth in Backes case is not an issue at all. He has had 3 bad head shots in his last 10 games with us, 2 this year and one in the last game of the playoffs.

As for the player at first I was against it. I would have rather seen the money spent on Chara's replacement. Or a temporary stand in till the kids took over. We missed out on the better Blues player in Oshie and paid Backes for too long, Sweeney gambled on Beleskey and Backes they both had a good previous year.

He had to go that term, there was no way Backes would leave for less. At the time though Backes was a good player, natural decline added by the numerous head shots and the change of speed in the game made for what happened. I tried to like it and waited for the old Backes to emerge, there was sparks here and there but it never happened enough to justify that contract.

As for Barzal, well he is a very good player but is coming back to earth this year. I think he wanted nothing to do with a Claude coached team. The kid is all offence, even now he is what a -7 after 8 games with 3 even strength points. He probably looked at how we treated another high scoring center in Seguin. He seen how he was bounced around and never got the position and benched off and on.

There was no way Barzal would have put up those numbers last year with us. He would have been on the 2nd power play if that. He would have been 3rd line center but no way he gets ice above Bergy and Krech. He would have had a decent campaign but not close to what he was allowed to do with the Isles run and gun system. Long term yeah sure he would be nice to have. For whatever reason that looks like a miss, over all Sweeney has done good by me.

Any news on McAvoy? I hope it has noting to do with his heart and just the few crosschecks he took from McDavid and that hit he took from Looch at the last second. Looch also caught Backes late in the game with a hard hit, that stunned him.

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
This was geared to the posters who fail to see the long term future of a fine gentleman and his family. I was conveying my perspective on growing older with kids. Versus why he should continue, he has had an excellent career and made millions. I also never mentioned anyone disliking him. It was in regards to some people who disliked hearing this point of view. They have their own reasons having him back playing, in my view they pale by comparison. I am sure Marc Savard would have another take on that whole debate on health versus wealth. When wealth in Backes case is not an issue at all. He has had 3 bad head shots in his last 10 games with us, 2 this year and one in the last game of the playoffs.

As for the player at first I was against it. I would have rather seen the money spent on Chara's replacement. Or a temporary stand in till the kids took over. We missed out on the better Blues player in Oshie and paid Backes for too long, Sweeney gambled on Beleskey and Backes they both had a good previous year.

He had to go that term, there was no way Backes would leave for less. At the time though Backes was a good player, natural decline added by the numerous head shots and the change of speed in the game made for what happened. I tried to like it and waited for the old Backes to emerge, there was sparks here and there but it never happened enough to justify that contract.

As for Barzal, well he is a very good player but is coming back to earth this year. I think he wanted nothing to do with a Claude coached team. The kid is all offence, even now he is what a -7 after 8 games with 3 even strength points. He probably looked at how we treated another high scoring center in Seguin. He seen how he was bounced around and never got the position and benched off and on.

There was no way Barzal would have put up those numbers last year with us. He would have been on the 2nd power play if that. He would have been 3rd line center but no way he gets ice above Bergy and Krech. He would have had a decent campaign but not close to what he was allowed to do with the Isles run and gun system. Long term yeah sure he would be nice to have. For whatever reason that looks like a miss, over all Sweeney has done good by me.

Any news on McAvoy? I hope it has noting to do with his heart and just the few crosschecks he took from McDavid and that hit he took from Looch at the last second. Looch also caught Backes late in the game with a hard hit, that stunned him.

Ah, apologies; I got hold of the wrong end of the stick re: your initial premise. Concur with your view on that completely.

Reactions: FanSince72

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Best wishes to Backes.
This thread is filled with serious injuries so early in the season.
Looking like a MASH unit already.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So far it looks just like how we started last year. The speed of the game and players are no longer allowed to impede a charge with some interference.

As an example, I can think of that Kuraly hit when the glass came out. He was flying, lucky for the other guy it popped out. Years ago the other defense partner would have been able to get in the way.

The league may want to look at this with the number of head shots and maybe crack down harder. It is a joke that Backes and Vaak had that happen to them and no call on the ice.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Matt Porter

@mattyports
Cassidy:

Vaakanainen and Backes feeling better, both still off ice.

McAvoy now listed as “upper body.” Also feeling better.

Miller hand in cast, out about 3 more weeks

1:12 PM - Oct 25, 2018

Well it's great to hear McAvoy is feeling better. Maybe a return against the Habs Saturday?

Reactions: TCB and DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad