Bruins injury thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
In regards to McAvoy wasn't it a concussion he's dealing with? Only asking because I saw him dressed up for Halloween on social media - obviously the doctor knows better than me, but shouldn't he be resting if this is the case?

I don't think it was ever said that it was a concussion? Some speculated it, but who really knows? Even if it were, he has to have several symptom-free days before being cleared, so he could be feeling just fine and is waiting for the okay to return to playing. Or, as likely it was something else, a shoulder, a rib? If a truck like Looch pastes you clean, any number of things can get busted up :laugh:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't think it was ever said that it was a concussion? Some speculated it, but who really knows? Even if it were, he has to have several symptom-free days before being cleared, so he could be feeling just fine and is waiting for the okay to return to playing. Or, as likely it was something else, a shoulder, a rib? If a truck like Looch pastes you clean, any number of things can get busted up :laugh:
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what his injury actually was, I recall reading speculation that it was delayed symptoms of a concussion since he played a couple games after the hit

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
‘It starts to get dangerous’: David Backes reflects on his latest concussion and what comes next - The Boston Globe

McAvoy, who is widely believed to have a concussion or related symptoms, remained off skates Friday. McAvoy is on injured reserve retroactive to Oct. 18, when he had a subpar performance in Edmonton.
“When it first happened I think we had no idea,” Cassidy said. “We still don’t to a certain extent. Yeah, there’s a bit of concern. He’s a 20-year-old and you want him to be healthy and in the lineup — a. for selfish reasons, because he’s one of our top defensemen, but for his own well-being. At that age, I’m sure all he wants to do is get up and go to the rink and play every day.”
Urho Vaakanainen, whom the club said suffered a concussion Oct. 23 in Ottawa, also did not skate. Both are working out off the ice, Cassidy said. Defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (lower body) is questionable for Saturday. He skated on his own Thursday.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
‘It starts to get dangerous’: David Backes reflects on his latest concussion and what comes next - The Boston Globe

McAvoy, who is widely believed to have a concussion or related symptoms, remained off skates Friday. McAvoy is on injured reserve retroactive to Oct. 18, when he had a subpar performance in Edmonton.
“When it first happened I think we had no idea,” Cassidy said. “We still don’t to a certain extent. Yeah, there’s a bit of concern. He’s a 20-year-old and you want him to be healthy and in the lineup — a. for selfish reasons, because he’s one of our top defensemen, but for his own well-being. At that age, I’m sure all he wants to do is get up and go to the rink and play every day.”
Urho Vaakanainen, whom the club said suffered a concussion Oct. 23 in Ottawa, also did not skate. Both are working out off the ice, Cassidy said. Defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (lower body) is questionable for Saturday. He skated on his own Thursday.

Interesting that they won't say exactly what it is, though. I guess everyone knew with Vaak because of how it went down.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
This new NHL and all of the reduction on fighting has really lowered the number of concussions... :skeptic:

Players usually to react when their mates were involved in a dangerous play/situation.

We all notice now team get riled up over big open ice hits, board hits, and low hits. Two of the three cause concussions.

The NHL gives a forearm shiver to the face of a player a suspension yes, but the player finished the game according to the judgement of the refs.

But if you instigate a fight after that play, the instigator usually gets a game.

Mean while the action that caused the concussion has to go the dipshts at NHL player safety to get worked out?

WTF kind of logic is that?

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I actually do think there are less concussions. The difference now is in precaution and reporting. Guys before played through them. Now guys know the $ can't be worth the CTE.

I think in the past if concussions had been reported right, literally everyone would have had one during a season.

Reactions: maxbme

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
If you watch Ice Guardians on Netflix you'll see alot of the fighters say they had less concussions from fighting than guys are getting from taking hits.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bruins injury updates: Some returns, and the mystery continues with Charlie McAvoy

Then there’s Charlie McAvoy, who is suffering from an injury that has been shrouded in Bill Belichick-esque levels of secrecy. No one seems to really know what’s going on with McAvoy, and because the injury wasn’t discovered until well after it occurred, it’s hard to even go back and speculate.

The team has termed it an upper-body injury, which could be a shoulder, could be a concussion, could be an ear infection, could be a canker sore...your guess is as good as any.
The problem, of course, is that “upper-body” with McAvoy immediately brings “heart” to mind, and “upper-body” in general has been used to cover concussions in the past.
At this point, it sounds more and more like McAvoy may have suffered a concussion, but the team’s general handling of it has been bizarre, to say the least.

Reactions: Dr Hook

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Bruins injury updates: Some returns, and the mystery continues with Charlie McAvoy

Then there’s Charlie McAvoy, who is suffering from an injury that has been shrouded in Bill Belichick-esque levels of secrecy. No one seems to really know what’s going on with McAvoy, and because the injury wasn’t discovered until well after it occurred, it’s hard to even go back and speculate.

The team has termed it an upper-body injury, which could be a shoulder, could be a concussion, could be an ear infection, could be a canker sore...your guess is as good as any.
The problem, of course, is that “upper-body” with McAvoy immediately brings “heart” to mind, and “upper-body” in general has been used to cover concussions in the past.
At this point, it sounds more and more like McAvoy may have suffered a concussion, but the team’s general handling of it has been bizarre, to say the least.

I was at a NY rink the weekend after the Edmonton game and met someone very close to him. They said they were checking neck and head etc, and also mentioned he was originally hurt in China, but few people knew that. When asked if concussed he said "they just don't know". That was 3 days after. Hopefully they do now.

Reactions: TCB

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I'm happy they didn't play for some days now, every bits help to give them time to recover.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I don’t think Charlie has a concussion. He was at the movies tonight. I doubt a concussed player is going to sit in a loud Dolby big screen theater. He was walking fine too

Reactions: Dr Hook and NDiesel

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don’t think Charlie has a concussion. He was at the movies tonight. I doubt a concussed player is going to sit in a loud Dolby big screen theater. He was walking fine too

Just speculating, but it could have been a neck injury of some kind. Those can produce some similar symptoms as a concussion- vertigo, headaches etc.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Gryz will back taking out who? Liking Krug, Lauzon, Chara, Carlo, Moore so that leaves Kampher who hasn't been that bad just not very creative.

Well Grizz is a leftie, so I would guess it's Lauzon who goes back to Providence. Moore is already on his off side and I don't think Grizz has ever played right- if he has it hasn't been often.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009

Pacioretty did! But Dr. Recchi said the same thing as you back then. lol

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
Pacioretty did! But Dr. Recchi said the same thing as you back then. lol
upload_2018-11-5_13-3-43.jpeg

Reactions: FanSince72

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
"Neither Charlie McAvoy nor Urho Vaakanainen skated Monday. McAvoy’s upper-body ailment, believed since his Oct. 20 absence to be lingering concussion-like effects, continues to be a mystery. In Nashville late Saturday, Cassidy referenced McAvoy’s needing to recover from a bout of dizziness. Both he and Vaakanainen (concussion Oct. 23 in Ottawa) have been regulars in the Bruins’ gym in Brighton . . . Kevan Miller (hand) is still a few weeks from returning . . . "

Boston Globe - Nov 6

Reactions: HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->