Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
The story was out there the meetings to trade Tyler Seguin wasn't rubber stamped by one and all and there was one known dissenter who wanted to be patient and deal with the maturity issue.

I always believed Jim Benning was the point guy to move him and Peter Chiareli played George Bush to Benning's Dick Cheney.

I think the more I hear and even read we know who was the guy who wasn't all in. Don Sweeney

Gretzky behind the B didn't sem so eager to deal him either. But if that's the case its pretty ironic as all 3 of them are Gms as of today.

Conspiracy Theory ???

The conspirators might say Benning and others conspired to have PC fail and to get him fired by urging on the Seguin deal in hopes of landing the GM job in Boston but then Vancouver came calling.

It would eventually work after some more conspiring (Boychuk- playoffs)) but now PC has landed on his feet in Edmonton, where he can beat up on Benning for yrs to come and ultimately have a hand in his demise and in the end the better man all the time in Sweeney or better known as "The Don" wins, and gos on to win multiple cups in Boston....Although The question will always remain yrs later was "the Don" behind it all the time? Playing his best Keyser Soze?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gretzky behind the B didn't sem so eager to deal him either. But if that's the case its pretty ironic as all 3 of them are Gms as of today.

Conspiracy Theory ???

The conspirators might say Benning and others conspired to have PC fail and to get him fired by urging on the Seguin deal in hopes of landing the GM job in Boston but then Vancouver came calling.

It would eventually work after some more conspiring (Boychuk- playoffs)) but now PC has landed on his feet in Edmonton, where he can beat up on Benning for yrs to come and ultimately have a hand in his demise and in the end the better man all the time in Sweeney or better known as "The Don" wins, and gos on to win multiple cups in Boston....Although The question will always remain yrs later was "the Don" behind it all the time? Playing his best Keyser Soze?

Yes - it was probably more than one but Geetzky was new - Bradley I was never sure but Sweeney looked at these as work in process including Seguin.

My view has always been Chiarelli would not order dinner without asking Benning if he tried it. Losing Benning was a big loss to Chiarelli. Sweeney will take a consensus like they did with Pastrnak- he went over there twice last year once for 2-3 weeks but I am confident he is more sure of himself as it relates to this job than Chiarelli was

To his credit Chiarelli was the antithesis of mike Milbury the GM and because Chia is bright and surrounded himself with a good group it worked

But chia was good and lucky the original Kessel deal in hindsight would have been horrible - thsnkfully Burke misremembered

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Conspiracy Theory ???

Yes - it was probably more than one but Geetzky was new - Bradley I was never sure but Sweeney looked at these as work in process including Seguin.

My view has always been Chiarelli would not order dinner without asking Benning if he tried it. Losing Benning was a big loss to Chiarelli. Sweeney will take a consensus like they did with Pastrnak- he went over there twice last year once for 2-3 weeks but I am confident he is more sure of himself as it relates to this job than Chiarelli was

To his credit Chiarelli was the antithesis of mike Milbury the GM and because Chia is bright and surrounded himself with a good group it worked

But chia was good and lucky the original Kessel deal in hindsight would have been horrible - thsnkfully Burke misremembered

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
a little, have a look at this roster below, nobody will convince me this current roster is close to being the mess that one was in 06/07

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2007.html

Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Rask, Chara, Savard were all there. Timmy too.

Plus Kessel, Sturm, Wideman.

What did Chia really add? The Kessel trade was good. When did Wheeler come?

He traded for Horton and Seids and depth.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

This deal always puzzled me as I believe Burke gave more to the Bruins than what the compensation would of been straight out if he had signed him. It was as if he had owed PC one, not that I'm complaining but boy it would of been nice if PC would of hung on to Burkes gratitude.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The story was out there the meetings to trade Tyler Seguin wasn't rubber stamped by one and all and there was one known dissenter who wanted to be patient and deal with the maturity issue.

I always believed Jim Benning was the point guy to move him and Peter Chiareli played George Bush to Benning's Dick Cheney.

I think the more I hear and even read we know who was the guy who wasn't all in. Don Sweeney

I lol'd at this analogy.

On the broader point, I think your theory is right, DKH. First off, Sweeney is nowhere in the Behind the B video (I think he appears in like for like 2 seconds in one angle of the camera, but says nothing). It makes sense that they wouldn't have him on there pretending he supports the trade, if he didn't in reality.

Second, the statements Sweeney has made since becoming GM, both at the presser and to other media, suggest he was against the trade. Someone would call BS on these statements if the truth was that he supported the trade. He clearly didn't, and now is his opportunity to speak out, and get some indirect vindication for opposing that disastrous trade.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I lol'd at this analogy.

On the broader point, I think your theory is right, DKH. First off, Sweeney is nowhere in the Behind the B video (I think he appears in like for like 2 seconds in one angle of the camera, but says nothing). It makes sense that they wouldn't have him on there pretending he supports the trade, if he didn't in reality.

Second, the statements Sweeney has made since becoming GM, both at the presser and to other media, suggest he was against the trade. Someone would call BS on these statements if the truth was that he supported the trade. He clearly didn't, and now is his opportunity to speak out, and get some indirect vindication for opposing that disastrous trade.

when the Seguin deal went down there was a lot of back and forth which made sense it was reported 'there were two sides on this'. So I wondered who was on what side? Benning is a very strong presence and Chiarelli from what I was led to believe leaned very heavily on him. I kind of figured if anyone wanted to slow this down it was Don considering his position/job description and opinion on Seguin as a player- plus Sweeney as we have seen with the Spooner comments believes some mature sooner than others.

The Behind the B blurb that was interesting was Chiarelli getting antsy over if Pastrnak would be there and Sweeney pretty much telling him to relax

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
when the Seguin deal went down there was a lot of back and forth which made sense it was reported 'there were two sides on this'. So I wondered who was on what side? Benning is a very strong presence and Chiarelli from what I was led to believe leaned very heavily on him. I kind of figured if anyone wanted to slow this down it was Don considering his position/job description and opinion on Seguin as a player- plus Sweeney as we have seen with the Spooner comments believes some mature sooner than others.

The Behind the B blurb that was interesting was Chiarelli getting antsy over if Pastrnak would be there and Sweeney pretty much telling him to relax

0:58-1:03 looks like it tells a lot. Who knows though.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
We definitely need to free up cap space. But who will Sweeney deal? And can we please find some upgrades to our offensive talent and blueline? We had trouble scoring goals. And our defense looked shaky at times. Our 'veterans' back there looked slow and declining. We need Sweeney to step up and make a few big deals.

Let's start with the draft for one. We need to hit in the 1st round the same way we hit with Pastrnak. Those 1st round picks are gold and had been squandered way too often during the Chiarelli era.

At Certain times you need to take a step back to eventually move forward and this will be the case with Sweeney. He needs to shed salary first in order to make some room with the cap space and the only way he can do this is to trade salary for picks or prospects. I wouldn't look for one move in-particular but for a series of moves to right the ship.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'll be curious to see if sweeney and those above him will have the grapes to deal certain players out whatever the cost, even if he has to buy them out. Could go a long way in helping our cap issues

My honest to god question is how do they really feel about Kelly. I watched Kelly very closely this year and one thing you have to give him credit for is he goes balls out ALL the time

I honestly believe the Bruins might have beaten Montreal in 7 games had they had Kelly. Add in Seidenberg and I think we would have finished them off in 6.

BUT, even when he's playing his best, is he worth 3 million? I don't really think so. But im close to on the fence, and I really want to know how the people actually in charge feel

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA

0:58-1:03 looks like it tells a lot. Who knows though.

Watching that clip made me sick to my stomach all over again.
Did this "brain trust" not understand that Seguin was matched with Kelly & Peverley during the POs?
No feckin wonder that he couldn't give them half of what Kane gave.

Last edited:

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Did this "brain trust" not understand that Seguin was matched with Kelly & Peverley
during the POs? No feckin wonder that he couldn't give them half of what Kane gave.

I don't blame them for trading Seguin (although you won't find a bigger Seguin fan than me probably, i wanted to keep him. I even have his Dallas jersey :laugh:), like its been said 1000x here it was the return. I have no idea why they backed out of the trade with Calgary after Lindholm was selected at 5.... That trade would have been so much better. It was rumored to be #6 overall + Gaudreau + roster player (Stempniak speculated). They were really high on Lindholm though so they backed out allegedly. It could have been Seguin for Monahan/Nurse/Nichuskin etc + Johnny G + (probably) Stempniak... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

OutspokenMinority*

i kind of liked seeing sweeney on the ice with the team in a clip i just saw. i hadn't really thought about the impact of a former player being GM. it's kind of exciting. you'd think his player evaluation will be top notch, although i didn't really have much of a problem with the majority of Chia's moves. so i don't know what i'm saying and i apologize for taking up probably like a thousand bytes of digital space for no good reason. have a nice holiday.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'll be curious to see if sweeney and those above him will have the grapes to deal certain players out whatever the cost, even if he has to buy them out. Could go a long way in helping our cap issues

My honest to god question is how do they really feel about Kelly. I watched Kelly very closely this year and one thing you have to give him credit for is he goes balls out ALL the time

I honestly believe the Bruins might have beaten Montreal in 7 games had they had Kelly. Add in Seidenberg and I think we would have finished them off in 6.

BUT, even when he's playing his best, is he worth 3 million? I don't really think so. But im close to on the fence, and I really want to know how the people actually in charge feel
If they do turn towards utilizing the younger guys like Sweeney said they would, I think Kelly is on this team until at least the trade deadline. As DKH calls him, he's the coach on the ice.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't blame them for trading Seguin (although you won't find a bigger Seguin fan than me probably, i wanted to keep him. I even have his Dallas jersey :laugh:), like its been said 1000x here it was the return. I have no idea why they backed out of the trade with Calgary after Lindholm was selected at 5.... That trade would have been so much better. It was rumored to be #6 overall + Gaudreau + roster player (Stempniak speculated). They were really high on Lindholm though so they backed out allegedly. It could have been Seguin for Monahan/Nurse/Nichuskin etc + Johnny G + (probably) Stempniak... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Wow. That's horrible.

See when you get that offer, and then the team backs out, have the balls to just say forget it we'll keep him another year and see how it goes.

Don't get the idea of settling for less when you have a former 2nd overall that was a well known commodity

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Wow. That's horrible.

See when you get that offer, and then the team backs out, have the balls to just say forget it we'll keep him another year and see how it goes.

Don't get the idea of settling for less when you have a former 2nd overall that was a well known commodity

Inexcusible. To trade him when his value hit its alltime lowpoint was really illadvised. Even if you plan to trade him, wait if you are not gettintg elite talent back. You can trade a guy like Seguin anyday of the week if you want to, his production was bound to pick up again.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
i kind of liked seeing sweeney on the ice with the team in a clip i just saw. i hadn't really thought about the impact of a former player being GM. it's kind of exciting. you'd think his player evaluation will be top notch, although i didn't really have much of a problem with the majority of Chia's moves. so i don't know what i'm saying and i apologize for taking up probably like a thousand bytes of digital space for no good reason. have a nice holiday.

Excellent post!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Did this "brain trust" not understand that Seguin was matched with Kelly & Peverley
during the POs? No feckin wonder that he couldn't give them half of what Kane gave.

great stuff

the player he was talking about being available I believe was Lindholm and I believe the guy talking to was Burke. Going to go first (Lindholm), prospect (Gudreau) and second round pick.

It was Bradley not Benning adding the comments but to me Bradley isn't the right hand man to Chiarelli it was Benning. Also, Sweeney said nothing on that video but he walked away with body language of a teenager not getting their way

Neely clearly thought he was too soft and the off ice issues made it easy for him

they got super, super, super lucky with Horton. Almost makes it worth the Seguin deal. Carrying Savard and Horton would be ridiculous

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I noticed Sweeney's body language too. He definitely did not like what was happening, to his credit.

how about Chiarelli asking Hoton's agent if what he was hearing in the twitter world was true that Horton was leaving?

love these guys get some of there information same place as Joe Fan- and are aware of or are monitoring it

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00