Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes, they could also have discussed a larger trade in which the Bs would have gotten Gaudreau, Baertschi, and the 6th pick in exchange for Seguin, Peverly, and something else.

I've seen Lindholm play a couple of times (including the horrible 2-1 shootout loss in Raleigh last year--and if that game wasn't enough to want to have Clode fired nothing will--1 shot on goal the 1st period). He looks like a decent player--16 goals last year--but can't see why he was projected so high.

I wanted Seth Jones big time and could see trading Seguin for him--elite talent for elite talent--and Harry always tried to build the team around great Dmen.

And again, I think that Chia's horrible drafting record was a big motivator in trading Seguin for several lessor players, which always a BAD idea.

I still consider that the worse game I've ever seen 2 NHL teams play, and Carolina was much better than Boston.

So how, exactly, is the coach to blame for a team that executes at such an incompetent level?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I still consider that the worse game I've ever seen 2 NHL teams play, and Carolina was much better than Boston.

So how, exactly, is the coach to blame for a team that executes at such an incompetent level?

The insanity of a coach whose system is geared to losing 1-0. Do you not remember Game 5 against Vancouver after the Bs ran the Canucks out of the Garden in Games 3 and 4 playing aggresive hockey?

I give Clode total credit for turning the Montreal series around after losing the first two at home. His timeout in Game 3 was one of the best I've ever seen. OTOH, he almost lost the cup final by playing insanely conservative in the first 3 games in Vancouver, esp Games 1 and 5. In Game 7 they played more agressively and you know how that turned out.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
That's insane to me and cannot be right.

Seguin scored 29 in his second season -- 2011/2012. That same year, Rick Nash scored 30. Hossa scored 29. Toews scored 29. These are superstars and Seguin was scoring in their leagues in his second season.

In 2012/13, the year he was traded in the strike shortened season, he scored 16G in 48 games. That's a 27 goal pace for a full season.

He had a bad play-offs in 2012/13 but anyone with any inkling of statistical knowledge could see it was a freakish streak of bad luck.

Getting a young 25-30 goal scorer, who had potential for 30-40+ goals, cost controlled at 5.75 until 2021 (or whenever it is) is a crazy steal, even in 2013. We're paying Reilly Smith 3.5m now to score 13. Finding goals in this league is hard. Finding 25+ goal scorers are incredibly rare.

I can't see teams not falling over for Seguin. The problem, was that Chiarelli had trashed Seguin in the media (good to devalue your asset while shopping... very smart) and then quickly offloaded him, without properly shopping him. Essentially, they sold Seguin at his lowest possible point ever.

That's why they got a crap deal. Just totally incompetent management of the entire trade, from beginning to end.

We had a forward with elite speed, skill, and scoring talent-- top 5 NHL wide level-- exactly what this team needs badly right now. And we offloaded him stupidly for a bad return.

To borrow a funny line from EverettMike -- this trade will haunt the Bruins like a Korean water ghost. :laugh: And now, as we struggle to find a way to improve offense with limited cap space -- it haunts us still.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, except that saying that the point was insane was total hyperbole.

I'm wondering why none of those 3 teams were interested in a deal for Seguin and what they have in common is that they are lower spending teams. Not that that's the reason, but it's a possible reason.

Yes, I hate the return as well.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I said earlier in this thread I think that at the time I remember hearing it and being like "oh great Gaudreau is a 4th round midget who won't be strong enough to compete in the bigs, no thanks".

I was wrong. :laugh:

Now that said, we definitely wouldn't have had the team we did in 13-2014, which quite honestly was a damn good team and had they not crapped their drawers vs the Habs had a real legit shot at another SCF appearance.

Part of that is PC going all in to make use of that "cup window".

If there is one word to describe Chia's style of managing, it would be "shortsighted." He really failed to see the long-term consequences of many of his deals (e.g., Iginla carryover) and his approach to developing Dmen. How many dmen do you see in the system that look like bona fide NHL regulars? Most of them look like #6 or #7 dmen, not top 4. Maybe Morrow.

How could he go all in to win the cup in 2014 and fail so miserably at the trade deadline with Seids out for the year?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

Yes and I bought 3 tickets to that crap game. :cry::cry::cry:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If there is one word to describe Chia's style of managing, it would be "shortsighted." He really failed to see the long-term consequences of many of his deals (e.g., Iginla carryover) and his approach to developing Dmen. How many dmen do you see in the system that look like bona fide NHL regulars? Most of them look like #6 or #7 dmen, not top 4. Maybe Morrow.

How could he go all in to win the cup in 2014 and fail so miserably at the trade deadline with Seids out for the year?

That's just one irony to the puzzle that is Peter Chiarelli's mind. I along with 80% of you wanted them to shore up the defense and plug the hole left by Seid's absence. Some here said that we were panicking etc, and that the platooning of Bart, Miller etc would fill the gap and "what's going to happen after that when we have too many d-men?" Well come the next September he got rid of Boychuk instead of clearing space in some other way. I'm so glad he's gone and I'm almost certain the Don is going to earn our admiration in the next few months and beyond....Fasten your seat belt and hang on!:yo:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
i though they should have shopped him more and the issue i had was the poor return PC got.

Or kept him till the deadline and then decide as an organization whether you REALLY are a legit cup contender or not. If yes, buy; if not sell, and trade ALL the UFAs.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
I think he's just a bit nervous in front of the cameras. No surprise. This is really his first foray into this stuff. I'm sure he'll get more comfortable with time.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't do any better myself and I didn't mean to sound critical. Some people just don't have a knack for it.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Not disagreeing with anything you said, except that saying that the point was insane was total hyperbole.

I'm wondering why none of those 3 teams were interested in a deal for Seguin and what they have in common is that they are lower spending teams. Not that that's the reason, but it's a possible reason.

Yes, I hate the return as well.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest *you* were insane, or your point was. Just the idea of these GMs in the league avoiding Seguin at that point seems like a crazy idea.

But yeah, my post would have been better without he hyperbole.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
That's just one irony to the puzzle that is Peter Chiarelli's mind. I along with 80% of you wanted them to shore up the defense and plug the hole left by Seid's absence. Some here said that we were panicking etc, and that the platooning of Bart, Miller etc would fill the gap and "what's going to happen after that when we have too many d-men?" Well come the next September he got rid of Boychuk instead of clearing space in some other way. I'm so glad he's gone and I'm almost certain the Don is going to earn our admiration in the next few months and beyond....Fasten your seat belt and hang on!:yo:

Sweeney impressed the heck out of me in the presser and subsequent interviews. He was confident, focused, and seemed to have a great grasp on things, especially challenges on offense.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Sure hope it's easier to work out deals in real life than it is on these boards ( especially the main boards). Otherwise Chia is right, it is hard to make a deal. Everyone overvalues their players and undervalues ours.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ends_sure_don_sweeney_will_excel_as_bruins_gm

These are the qualities I'vealways admired in Don Sweeney. He'll make his mistakes, and a Cup appearance may not be in the offing soon, but he has the makings of an excellent GM.

Jeff Gorton is both up against the Cap and sitting in 30th( ouch) spot in my assessment of teams prospects. They are actually 28th in HF but that includes Duclair who was traded for Yandle along with their first this year. 28 but no DuClair and no first

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
i am looking forward to see what the FO does this off season starting with the draft and then FA.
Then FO has said what their plan is and we see what happens.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The insanity of a coach whose system is geared to losing 1-0. Do you not remember Game 5 against Vancouver after the Bs ran the Canucks out of the Garden in Games 3 and 4 playing aggresive hockey?

I give Clode total credit for turning the Montreal series around after losing the first two at home. His timeout in Game 3 was one of the best I've ever seen. OTOH, he almost lost the cup final by playing insanely conservative in the first 3 games in Vancouver, esp Games 1 and 5. In Game 7 they played more agressively and you know how that turned out.

Compared to the insanity of this very statement?

So your premise is that the Bruins opened up in games 3 & 4 (on their own?) but for game 5 Claude said, "Cut the crap, we need to win 1-0".

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Good read:

Time at Phillips Academy showed single-mindedness of Bruins GM Don Sweeney
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-mindedness/mbyFKObJMjPt5kuWJIJdIN/story.html

Thanks for the great read GW.
I for some reason have great faith in Sweeney and I really feel that our team will eventually with time and patience be the team we all hope for it to be.
A hard and tough to to play against and one that the team players will play with admiration, intensity and passion.
I truly feel we will achieve this mission with Sweeney as our GM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->