Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I haven`t a clue but I will guess Fergy is well schooled with the complexity of contracts and may have a bit more experience with that side of the business than Sweeney?

More than likely yes, but one has to hope that he won't have a major hand in making trades. Because I don't think we will be in good shape if he does.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Plenty of skill for 2nd and 3rd lines in the NHL but there isn't a true #1 line in that group in my opinion and thus them missing the playoffs. Stats prove that as well. Bruins are full of depth players.

The Bruins won a Stanley Cup with that group plus Recchi/Peverley less Loui, Pasta, etc. Which stats are you referring to exactly? Plenty of teams without "elite" offensive units made the playoffs. Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary ... even NYR with a dud Nash and end of the line MSL isn't overly scary offensively.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
I was thinking about phrasing this in a different way. Depth charts.

C
Krejci
Bergeron
Spooner
Talbot
Khokhlachev

LW
Lucic
Marchand
Smith
Kelly
???

RW
Pastrnak
Eriksson
Connolly
Ferlin
Griffith

LD
Chara
Seidenberg
Krug
Morrow

RD
Hamilton
McQuaid
Miller
Trotman

Highlight the areas you'd like to improve, what can move and where.

First are the RD you have there also right handed shooters ?

The team needs McQuaid for his toughness and nastiness on the back end, unless Hamilton and Trotman can improve in those areas. But Trotman has to stay because he showed at the end of the season he is capable of playing in the NHL.

Smith would be on a short leash but if he starts out poorly again his trade value will suck.

Ali won't like this, but Kelly needs to go. The Bruins have Talbot to replace him on the PK and some youth could step in his place. I'm sure one of the other 29 teams could use his skill set on their team.

The same goes with Eriksson; great skill set but not what the Bruins are trying to do now by getting faster and tougher.

Last in Seidenberg. In the remaining games I was able to stream he looked horrible. He'd throw and check and end up on his ass. He lost a lot with the knee injury. But his experience will be tough to replace.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
While I prefer a team like ANA, if you actually watch Team Euro in Tampa closely, you would see that guys like Kucherov and Palat (and TJ) are not soft at all. While they don't fight, they go to the dirty areas, check, and their compete level is very good. They are not "soft" at all.

The other thing I notice with tampa is that they are lightning quick. The king has ZERO chance on a few of those goals last night.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
way too small a sample size to judge Connolly on especially considering he barely got a sniff in a Bruins uni after the post trade injury

Smith? I don`t know, we have alot of fans here claiming to be tired of this organization giving up too soon on young prospects/players, seems to me Smitty is just that (not implying you were one of them). Bad year for the kid last year, I feel the same can be said for virtually everyone on that roster save a few.

Smitty would concern me if he was floating and appearing as though he could give a ***t but I didn`t see that, I saw a kid who`s confidence was shot and it affected every area of his game. I like the kid, in fact, I like him alot and judging by what Sweeney spoke about in the presser, he wants to move forward with patience when it comes to younger players and not be so quick to dismiss them too soon

I definitely don't think we should "give up" on Smith. But I think we need to consider all of our options re trades right now; I think you have to be open to trading him if it improves the team. And I'm definitely not saying send him off for a veteran; rather, trade him in a package for another younger forward, with more upside (or more proven scoring credentials).

The problem with Smith is not that he floats and doesn't try hard, is that he's a very one dimensional player. Not overly fast or physical. Not overly skilled. You posted earlier about Bruins seeking "speed" and more "grit". Smith doesn't fit either category, even at his best.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I definitely don't think we should "give up" on Smith. But I think we need to consider all of our options re trades right now; I think you have to be open to trading him if it improves the team. And I'm definitely not saying send him off for a veteran; rather, trade him in a package for another younger forward, with more upside (or more proven scoring credentials).

The problem with Smith is not that he floats and doesn't try hard, is that he's a very one dimensional player. Not overly fast or physical. Not overly skilled. You posted earlier about Bruins seeking "speed" and more "grit". Smith doesn't fit either category, even at his best.

I would not give up on Smith but he needs to step up this season

Connolly just turned 23 on May 2nd so still very young. Stays healthy I think he could be the surprise guy of this team.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Connolly just turned 23 on May 2nd so still very young. Stays healthy I think he could be the surprise guy of this team.

All true. I'm keen to see Connolly starting the season with the B's, healthy and with a new start.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The Bruins won a Stanley Cup with that group plus Recchi/Peverley less Loui, Pasta, etc. Which stats are you referring to exactly? Plenty of teams without "elite" offensive units made the playoffs. Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary ... even NYR with a dud Nash and end of the line MSL isn't overly scary offensively.

All of those teams have at least ONE player who finished in the top 50 in the league in points, several had more than one (Nas, Wpg, Van, Cgy, Ott), and many of those had players in the top 25, and higher.

Forget top 50, Bruins did not have a single scorer in top 60. And they only had a single scorer in the top 100 (Bergeron).

Bruins' offense is scary, but not in a good way.

EDIT: Did you also call Nash a "dud"? Nash had 42 goals this year... almost twice as many as our top goal scorer.

Last edited:

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

He can be a difference maker by avoiding the penalty box. That would be a great first step...

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

IIRC, Nash led the league in 5 on 5 goals, but I get your point about the Rags.

Of the other 3 teams that are left, would you trade any two Broons forwards even up for--

Toews and Kane?

Stamkos and Johnson or Kucherov?

Getzlaff and Perry?

All 4 teams have VERY mobile defenses that transition quickly. Tampa's D are sometimes a nightmare in their own zone, however.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
While I prefer a team like ANA, if you actually watch Team Euro in Tampa closely, you would see that guys like Kucherov and Palat (and TJ) are not soft at all. While they don't fight, they go to the dirty areas, check, and their compete level is very good. They are not "soft" at all.

You got that right. Johnson is fairly small, and yet that goal he scored on the goal mouth scramble showed a lot of jam. All three of them go to the goal.

Anaheim and LA play a heavy game, but their transition game is very effective, and they attack with speed. You CAN do both.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

Was very excited by his signing, was screaming for him earlier in the season when he was rumoured to be on offer and the Bs showed interest....but boy has he rubbed me the wrong way since he's come here, not even just his play, that episode he and Miller went to the bahh to watch the Calgary/Bs game on Behind the B, Miller's watching the game on tv and talking to him while he's on camera, and he's head down and face deep in his phone going "yep...yep..." i was like....YOURE ON TV AT YOUR NEW CLUB JACKASS AT LEAST LOOK LIKE YOU CAR FOR THE 20 SECONDS YOURE ON THE TEAM TV SHOW? HELLO?????

The penalty's he took in the last few games though were just annoying. Hopefully a fresh start and 'game plan' to get him in space to use his blistering shot can be executed.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Was very excited by his signing, was screaming for him earlier in the season when he was rumoured to be on offer and the Bs showed interest....but boy has he rubbed me the wrong way since he's come here, not even just his play, that episode he and Miller went to the bahh to watch the Calgary/Bs game on Behind the B, Miller's watching the game on tv and talking to him while he's on camera, and he's head down and face deep in his phone going "yep...yep..." i was like....YOURE ON TV AT YOUR NEW CLUB JACKASS AT LEAST LOOK LIKE YOU CAR FOR THE 20 SECONDS YOURE ON THE TEAM TV SHOW? HELLO?????

The penalty's he took in the last few games though were just annoying. Hopefully a fresh start and 'game plan' to get him in space to use his blistering shot can be executed.

Bruins fans and media need to stop vilifying a player for how they act off ice or their off ice activities. As long as he is a good player and does well for us who cares if he'd rather do his own thing then watch a hockey game he isn't a part of in some propped up teammate hangout. You weren't at the bar and you don't know how they edited the whole entire bar visit into 2 minutes of tv.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Bruins fans and media need to stop vilifying a player for how they act off ice or their off ice activities. As long as he is a good player and does well for us who cares if he'd rather do his own thing then watch a hockey game he isn't a part of in some propped up teammate hangout. You weren't at the bar and you don't know how they edited the whole entire bar visit into 2 minutes of tv.

I don't give two ***** what he does off ice, but if you're being filmed, for the TEAM TV SHOW to me that is part of being 'one the ice' and the entire scene of them in the bar Miller is watching the game and talking to the camera/connolly while hes sitting there with his head down on his phone. There's a difference to being 'away from the team' and appearing on the teams tv show, come on.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Worst news I've heard today.

Sad to see that nepotism and anti-meritocracy are alive & well on Causeway Street again.

We're exchanging styles with Oilers. They're going with Chiarelli now, and we're going with the good old boys club.

It's hard for me to feel excited about next season.

HanktheHammer*

Worst news I've heard today.

Sad to see that nepotism and anti-meritocracy are alive & well on Causeway Street again.

I think Ferguson will do fine as Asst GM. Ferguson got a bad rap in T.O. It didn't help that he had a meddling CEO/Co-owner Richard Peddie. Ferguson looks to have learned from his mistakes in Center of the Supposed Hockey Universe. Give him a chance like you would Sweeney.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
We're exchanging styles with Oilers. They're going with Chiarelli now, and we're going with the good old boys club.

Daishi, you and I agree on a lot of things re: Bruins.

I'm also concerned about the "old boys club" issue.

But did you see the Sweeney presser? I was pretty impressed with it, and thought Sweeney had a lot of good things to say. I liked what I heard -- seems to recognize that we need to get a LOT better offensively/skill wise. Also name dropped Spooner multiple times and essentially said the Seguin trade was a mistake in-so-many words.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Yes, Ferguson is part of the old boys club:shakehead

I`ll guess Ferguson has the expertise in drawing up/fully understanding contracts and THAT is what Sweeney will lean on him for, his (JFJ) role will be less about evaluation of talent and more about putting finishing touches on deals/contracts IMO and it`s really hard to judge many who worked for MLSE with that constant circus

I don`t want Ferguson if he`s the man making the decisions, but I have little issue with him in this role

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Daishi, you and I agree on a lot of things re: Bruins.

I'm also concerned about the "old boys club" issue.

But did you see the Sweeney presser? I was pretty impressed with it, and thought Sweeney had a lot of good things to say. I liked what I heard -- seems to recognize that we need to get a LOT better offensively/skill wise. Also name dropped Spooner multiple times and essentially said the Seguin trade was a mistake in-so-many words.
Talk is cheap.

What he should do then is fire everyone who are culpable of the Seguin trade ever taking place. That trade will haunt me forever.

I'll be impressed when the management holds someone responsible for the cup window closing early while simultaneously making us worse in the long term. So far Chiarelli's the only one to take the fall, and that's why the whole thing smells like a power play by Neely to grab the reins for himself, despite being equally to blame. Naturally they have the whole summer to make their moves, and I'm not expecting miracles in 3 days, but like I said I'm not holding my breath.

ODAAT said:
Yes, Ferguson is part of the old boys club

Do we have anyone in our entire management team that has proven to great at his job at the NHL level? On what merits were they actually hired?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4