Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
I don't blame them for trading Seguin (although you won't find a bigger Seguin fan than me probably, i wanted to keep him. I even have his Dallas jersey :laugh:), like its been said 1000x here it was the return. I have no idea why they backed out of the trade with Calgary after Lindholm was selected at 5.... That trade would have been so much better. It was rumored to be #6 overall + Gaudreau + roster player (Stempniak speculated). They were really high on Lindholm though so they backed out allegedly. It could have been Seguin for Monahan/Nurse/Nichuskin etc + Johnny G + (probably) Stempniak... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Why didn't the ChiaPet take that deal then? It's the Joe Thornton trade all over again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I noticed Sweeney's body language too. He definitely did not like what was happening, to his credit.

also, glad that it has come out he was one of or the one guy who wanted to wait on the maturity issues of Seguin- it was out there at the time all were not in agreement behind closed doors and it sure looks like him

and the Gorton traded for Rask was completely shot down by Chiarelli- but some heard that soon after it happened Chiarelli made the deal and Gorton executed it. Chiarelli will claim that deal believe me

the other thing that Gorton got credit for which is hilarious was drafting Lucic. He was against drafting him and exercised his might to take super bust Yuri Alexandrov over Lucic. Only did Boston get him with the Samsonov second rounder they got from Edmonton, but Gorton was not on board and its been thought to caused a rift.

If Sweeney somehow flops Gorton will be back in the picture in 4 years and although I think Jeff would be a great candidate if no Sweeney he got two big prizes he was not for as in the case of Lucic or actually made the call on in the case of Rask.

But I don't blame him I'd be happy to put that on my resume.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't blame them for trading Seguin (although you won't find a bigger Seguin fan than me probably, i wanted to keep him. I even have his Dallas jersey :laugh:), like its been said 1000x here it was the return. I have no idea why they backed out of the trade with Calgary after Lindholm was selected at 5.... That trade would have been so much better. It was rumored to be #6 overall + Gaudreau + roster player (Stempniak speculated). They were really high on Lindholm though so they backed out allegedly. It could have been Seguin for Monahan/Nurse/Nichuskin etc + Johnny G + (probably) Stempniak... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

That would have been an amazing deal for the B's.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why didn't the ChiaPet take that deal then? It's the Joe Thornton trade all over again.

couldn't-Boston wanted Lindholm and he went 5th. They had no idea about Monihan, an do we know Burke would have backed out again.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Rask, Chara, Savard were all there. Timmy too.

Plus Kessel, Sturm, Wideman.

What did Chia really add? The Kessel trade was good. When did Wheeler come?

He traded for Horton and Seids and depth.

Chia traded for Wideman. First he traded Versteeg for the great Bochenski. The Bruins had a good line of Sturm, Bergeron, and Boyes. So Chia then traded Boyes to StL for Wideman to make room for his boy Bochenski on that line.

Chia signed Wheeler.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
couldn't-Boston wanted Lindholm and he went 5th. They had no idea about Monihan, an do we know Burke would have backed out again.

The Broons were NOT, repeat NOT getting Gaudrea in that deal; it was Baertschi.

Why would they want Monahan who is a center? They needed wings and to make up for Chia's poor drafting.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Watching that clip made me sick to my stomach all over again.
Did this "brain trust" not understand that Seguin was matched with Kelly & Peverley during the POs?
No feckin wonder that he couldn't give them half of what Kane gave.

Even more interesting is that Jagr did very little on Bergeron's wing on the playoffs.

I still say that had Krug not given the puck to Shaw at the blueline with the Bs up 3-1 and dominating in the 3rd period of Game 1 that the Bs EASILY win that series. They would have been up 3 games to none.

Playing a 3OT game in Game 1 and then OT in Game 2 completely wore out Chara and Seids (Clode almost HAD to overplay them given the injuries on the D). The majority of the Hawk goals were scored against them in the last 3 games.

Similar situation with the Hawks this year. We will see if their top 4 D are worn out now with all their OT games.

The team that wins the cup is not always the best team. It is often the freshest and the deepest to withstand the injuries.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
also, glad that it has come out he was one of or the one guy who wanted to wait on the maturity issues of Seguin- it was out there at the time all were not in agreement behind closed doors and it sure looks like him

and the Gorton traded for Rask was completely shot down by Chiarelli- but some heard that soon after it happened Chiarelli made the deal and Gorton executed it. Chiarelli will claim that deal believe me

the other thing that Gorton got credit for which is hilarious was drafting Lucic. He was against drafting him and exercised his might to take super bust Yuri Alexandrov over Lucic. Only did Boston get him with the Samsonov second rounder they got from Edmonton, but Gorton was not on board and its been thought to caused a rift.

If Sweeney somehow flops Gorton will be back in the picture in 4 years and although I think Jeff would be a great candidate if no Sweeney he got two big prizes he was not for as in the case of Lucic or actually made the call on in the case of Rask.

But I don't blame him I'd be happy to put that on my resume.

The notion that Gorton would have acted independently of Chiarelli AT ALL is a bit absurd. He was in charge of crossing t's and dotting i's while PC had to wait out his tenure with the Sens. Not to take anything away from Gorton, by all accounts he's a strong executive, but just because on the surface PC "wasn't allowed" by the Sens to be in charge, doesn't mean he wasn't consulted and had ultimate say on every even remotely impactful decision made by the club from the day he was hired.

Much like the issue of "tampering", it's impossible to monitor and enforce and if Gorton valued his job as it stood it's not like he was going to go off the rails.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
I thought chia good gm overall who lost his confidence after seguin debacle. Replacing him with a guy with very limited public track record is a risk but sweeney has a blank slate and being a bruins fan I'm rooting for him. I have no dog in the fight and will judge him by what he accomplishes, if he's good Neely was right to go to bat for a guy he was not only comfortable with but thought was sharp. If it doesn't work they'll both be fired together. That's life. Early good signs, seems comfortable with media, comes across as normal but bright guy. Seems like Sweeney implying he was against seguin trade, if true I'm glad because that trade stupid from start and not to see it would make me doubt his judgement. I also like that he isn't overtly throwing chia under bus, he spoke in generalities and got point across without stabbing the guy who hired him in the back. Chia can't say et Tu Sweeney at this point. Plus if sinden really was backing Gorton and opposed to Sweeney ,,,,it makes Sweeney choice even better. Has no bearing on management abilities but always thought Sweeney over rated player, no offense and lack of size killed him down low but if he really does aim to restore the roar and make the bruins big and tough AND faster in on board. I'm cautiously hopeful and optimistic. Looch should stay and b resigned, the idea of trading him for a Jordan eberle is a bad one.. cap space created by dealing as many of smith Kelly and erikssen as needed. I love Krejci but I could see him going if price right. Better get a hell of a lot back because they lack a top end offensive center without him. I'd play hardball with Dougie, too talented to lose but too many errors in own end to pay long term huge money to yet. Bridge type deal protects both sides, if Hamilton develops his high level talent he will rightly break bank on next deal.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
great stuff

the player he was talking about being available I believe was Lindholm and I believe the guy talking to was Burke. Going to go first (Lindholm), prospect (Gudreau) and second round pick.

It was Bradley not Benning adding the comments but to me Bradley isn't the right hand man to Chiarelli it was Benning. Also, Sweeney said nothing on that video but he walked away with body language of a teenager not getting their way

Neely clearly thought he was too soft and the off ice issues made it easy for him

they got super, super, super lucky with Horton. Almost makes it worth the Seguin deal. Carrying Savard and Horton would be ridiculous

The Horton "luck" is just more evidence how clueless Chiarelli and Benning were. Benning literally cried when Chia says Horton is done. Thank God these clowns failed to sign him. Imagine: they re-sign Horton and trade Seguin for the crap return they got? Then we have two albatross contracts around our necks. We'd be done. Toast. I think *we* were lucky these dummies stumbled into a better result because Horton left. Classic Chiarelli -- like his failed attempt to acquire Vermette. We win by Chiarelli failing to do that he wanted to do.

Bradley seems the most in favor of the trade in the video, unfortunately. He says "there are just too many red flags". That's why I've been a critic of his.

Also, Chiarelli's logic makes so little sense in the video. He says if Horton does not sign, then they have to move "Seguin"? Huh? The obvious reply is that if Horton does not sign, you absolutely keep Seguin since you're already losing your top line RW. So, promote Seguin, see how it goes.

After watching the video again, I feel like the Bruins should fire Chiarelli a second time, for good measure. And probably Bradley too. He was a clear cheerleader.

EDIT: Re-reading my post. Clearly, this video pisses me off. Can you tell? :)

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
That would have been an amazing deal for the B's.

I said earlier in this thread I think that at the time I remember hearing it and being like "oh great Gaudreau is a 4th round midget who won't be strong enough to compete in the bigs, no thanks".

I was wrong. :laugh:

Now that said, we definitely wouldn't have had the team we did in 13-2014, which quite honestly was a damn good team and had they not crapped their drawers vs the Habs had a real legit shot at another SCF appearance.

Part of that is PC going all in to make use of that "cup window".

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
The Horton "luck" is just more evidence how clueless Chiarelli and Benning were. Benning literally cried when Chia says Horton is done. Thank God these clowns failed to sign him. Imagine: they re-sign Horton and trade Seguin for the crap return they got? Then we have two albatross contracts around our necks. We'd be done. Toast. I think *we* were lucky these dummies stumbled into a better result because Horton left. Classic Chiarelli -- like his failed attempt to acquire Vermette. We win by Chiarelli failing to do that he wanted to do.

Bradley seems the most in favor of the trade in the video, unfortunately. He says "there are just too many red flags". That's why I've been a critic of his.

Also, Chiarelli's logic makes so little sense in the video. He says if Horton does not sign, then they have to move "Seguin"? Huh? The obvious reply is that if Horton does not sign, you absolutely keep Seguin since you're already losing your top line RW. So, promote Seguin, see how it goes.

After watching the video again, I feel like the Bruins should fire Chiarelli a second time, for good measure. And probably Bradley too. He was a clear cheerleader.

It is impossible for me to agree with this post more than I already do. 100% spot-on.

If King Arthur had his Knights of the Round Table, then Jacobs had his Clowns of the Conference Room.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010

...and because the only one who got fired was Chiarelli, the Bruins front office is still a horrible group of incompetent wannabe managers. I have absolutely zero faith that anything will improve next year, as far as management is concerned. Julien might whip the guys we currently have into the playoffs as a bottom seed, but this team's trajectory isn't pointing anywhere but down.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The notion that Gorton would have acted independently of Chiarelli AT ALL is a bit absurd. He was in charge of crossing t's and dotting i's while PC had to wait out his tenure with the Sens. Not to take anything away from Gorton, by all accounts he's a strong executive, but just because on the surface PC "wasn't allowed" by the Sens to be in charge, doesn't mean he wasn't consulted and had ultimate say on every even remotely impactful decision made by the club from the day he was hired.

Much like the issue of "tampering", it's impossible to monitor and enforce and if Gorton valued his job as it stood it's not like he was going to go off the rails.

Its not like it took a genius to figure out signing Chara & Savard would be a big impact on the roster. They had the money to do it.

No idea how the Rask trade came to be but I wouldn't doubt it was initiated by Toronto.

As for the draft, I'd really be surprised if Chia had any say at all there. He had access to Ottawa's scouting reports so it would have really been underhanded for him to give input to the Bruins.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
...and because the only one who got fired was Chiarelli, the Bruins front office is still a horrible group of incompetent wannabe managers. I have absolutely zero faith that anything will improve next year, as far as management is concerned. Julien might whip the guys we currently have into the playoffs as a bottom seed, but this team's trajectory isn't pointing anywhere but down.

Benning is gone too, so that has to help.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Broons were NOT, repeat NOT getting Gaudrea in that deal; it was Baertschi.

Why would they want Monahan who is a center? They needed wings and to make up for Chia's poor drafting.

That makes sense- I did hear Johnny but it could have been here:laugh: what I am 100% certain I heard in nj was the pick and Lindholm; I also heard more than Seguin it was 5 or 7 components

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
That makes sense- I did hear Johnny but it could have been here:laugh: what I am 100% certain I heard in nj was the pick and Lindholm; I also heard more than Seguin it was 5 or 7 components

Yes, they could also have discussed a larger trade in which the Bs would have gotten Gaudreau, Baertschi, and the 6th pick in exchange for Seguin, Peverly, and something else.

I've seen Lindholm play a couple of times (including the horrible 2-1 shootout loss in Raleigh last year--and if that game wasn't enough to want to have Clode fired nothing will--1 shot on goal the 1st period). He looks like a decent player--16 goals last year--but can't see why he was projected so high.

I wanted Seth Jones big time and could see trading Seguin for him--elite talent for elite talent--and Harry always tried to build the team around great Dmen.

And again, I think that Chia's horrible drafting record was a big motivator in trading Seguin for several lessor players, which always a BAD idea.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, they could also have discussed a larger trade in which the Bs would have gotten Gaudreau, Baertschi, and the 6th pick in exchange for Seguin, Peverly, and something else.

I've seen Lindholm play a couple of times (including the horrible 2-1 shootout loss in Raleigh last year--and if that game wasn't enough to want to have Clode fired nothing will--1 shot on goal the 1st period). He looks like a decent player--16 goals last year--but can't see why he was projected so high.

I wanted Seth Jones big time and could see trading Seguin for him--elite talent for elite talent--and Harry always tried to build the team around great Dmen.

And again, I think that Chia's horrible drafting record was a big motivator in trading Seguin for several lessor players, which always a BAD idea.

I don't know if they could have gotten to 4 with Seguin believe it or not- and Florida taking Barkov and Drouin going to Tampa over Jones took the potential number 2 guy and put him at 4. Likely Boston wasn't even thinking they could get Jones at 4.

If Chiarelli alludes to the 'twitter world' for information in Behind the B, he may have not realized Jones would be at 4.

Also, Seguin scored 1 goal his last 27 games in a Bruins uniform including 1 in 22 playoff games. He was not exactly having 'buzzard luck' either as he was playing along he perimeter and his best offensive play was go wide and take a bad angle shot.

Seguin was a mess on the ice and apparently off it.

The comparisons of Bergeron were made about Lindholm- he's still very young and 16 goals isn't bad at that age.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if they could have gotten to 4 with Seguin believe it or not- and Florida taking Barkov and Drouin going to Tampa over Jones took the potential number 2 guy and put him at 4. Likely Boston wasn't even thinking they could get Jones at 4.

If Chiarelli alludes to the 'twitter world' for information in Behind the B, he may have not realized Jones would be at 4.

Also, Seguin scored 1 goal his last 27 games in a Bruins uniform including 1 in 22 playoff games. He was not exactly having 'buzzard luck' either as he was playing along he perimeter and his best offensive play was go wide and take a bad angle shot.

Seguin was a mess on the ice and apparently off it.

The comparisons of Bergeron were made about Lindholm- he's still very young and 16 goals isn't bad at that age.

The problem was that perhaps neither Tampa, Nashville, nor Carolina wanted Seguin's contract, even though it's only 5.75.

No one was scoring on Bergeron's RW that spring, neither Seguin nor Jagr. DK what the problem was, but there was one. Seguin did make a great pass for the OT winner in Game 2 versus Chicago and scored the OT winner against Wash the year before in Game 6.

Seguin scored 29 his second year.

Sweeney made another comment that I loved that no one has mentioned--and that was one size doesn't fit all. I'm fairly certain he was alluding to the fact that this year's team had way too many of one type of player and that was a major contributor to the lack of goal scoring. Calgary has the same type of team--too many grinders. They have an 8-goal scorer (Colborne) on their second line. Edmonton has too much skill, not enough grit--that doesn't work either.

Another interesting point is that no one has talked about what I think is another Chia significant failure--his stated preference of trading for older dmen and not drafting them. He traded for McQuaid, signed Krug, traded for Bart and Morrow, among others. Until Gretzky came, he hardly drafted dmen (Cross, Reul, Goulet, Button. Chudinov, Trotman, Hamilton, and O'Gara before Gretzky). Only 1 was a 1st rounder (Hamilton) and 1 a 2nd rounder (Cross).

Finally, I want to see a Behind the Bs episode where everyone in the organization goes around the table and trashes Chia.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I said earlier in this thread I think that at the time I remember hearing it and being like "oh great Gaudreau is a 4th round midget who won't be strong enough to compete in the bigs, no thanks".

I was wrong. :laugh:

Now that said, we definitely wouldn't have had the team we did in 13-2014, which quite honestly was a damn good team and had they not crapped their drawers vs the Habs had a real legit shot at another SCF appearance.

Part of that is PC going all in to make use of that "cup window".

Yeah, I felt the same way. Johnny G had an amazing year, and I did not see that coming. What a great player Calgary has.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Honest to goodness question, I watched the press conference, and Jacobs looked very nervous talking, and then it looked like he was talking to himself at one point. Did anyone notice this?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The problem was that perhaps neither Tampa, Nashville, nor Carolina wanted Seguin's contract, even though it's only 5.75.

No one was scoring on Bergeron's RW that spring, neither Seguin nor Jagr. DK what the problem was, but there was one. Seguin did make a great pass for the OT winner in Game 2 versus Chicago and scored the OT winner against Wash the year before in Game 6.

Seguin scored 29 his second year.

Sweeney made another comment that I loved that no one has mentioned--and that was one size doesn't fit all. I'm fairly certain he was alluding to the fact that this year's team had way too many of one type of player and that was a major contributor to the lack of goal scoring. Calgary has the same type of team--too many grinders. They have an 8-goal scorer (Colborne) on their second line. Edmonton has too much skill, not enough grit--that doesn't work either.

Another interesting point is that no one has talked about what I think is another Chia significant failure--his stated preference of trading for older dmen and not drafting them. He traded for McQuaid, signed Krug, traded for Bart and Morrow, among others. Until Gretzky came, he hardly drafted dmen (Cross, Reul, Goulet, Button. Chudinov, Trotman, Hamilton, and O'Gara before Gretzky). Only 1 was a 1st rounder (Hamilton) and 1 a 2nd rounder (Cross).

Finally, I want to see a Behind the Bs episode where everyone in the organization goes around the table and trashes Chia.

That's insane to me and cannot be right.

Seguin scored 29 in his second season -- 2011/2012. That same year, Rick Nash scored 30. Hossa scored 29. Toews scored 29. These are superstars and Seguin was scoring in their leagues in his second season.

In 2012/13, the year he was traded in the strike shortened season, he scored 16G in 48 games. That's a 27 goal pace for a full season.

He had a bad play-offs in 2012/13 but anyone with any inkling of statistical knowledge could see it was a freakish streak of bad luck.

Getting a young 25-30 goal scorer, who had potential for 30-40+ goals, cost controlled at 5.75 until 2021 (or whenever it is) is a crazy steal, even in 2013. We're paying Reilly Smith 3.5m now to score 13. Finding goals in this league is hard. Finding 25+ goal scorers are incredibly rare.

I can't see teams not falling over for Seguin. The problem, was that Chiarelli had trashed Seguin in the media (good to devalue your asset while shopping... very smart) and then quickly offloaded him, without properly shopping him. Essentially, they sold Seguin at his lowest possible point ever.

That's why they got a crap deal. Just totally incompetent management of the entire trade, from beginning to end.

We had a forward with elite speed, skill, and scoring talent-- top 5 NHL wide level-- exactly what this team needs badly right now. And we offloaded him stupidly for a bad return.

To borrow a funny line from EverettMike -- this trade will haunt the Bruins like a Korean water ghost. :laugh: And now, as we struggle to find a way to improve offense with limited cap space -- it haunts us still.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That's insane to me and cannot be right.

Seguin scored 29 in his second season -- 2011/2012.

In 2012/13, the year he was traded in the strike shortened season, he scored 16G in 48 games. That's a 27 goal pace for a full season.

He had a bad play-offs in 2012/13 but anyone with any inkling of statistical knowledge could see it was a freakish streak of bad luck.

Well, if you look at his current playoff resume, it doesn't really jump off the page at you.

48 games / 7 goals / 14 assists / 21 points

We could make excuses as to why his numbers are low in the playoffs ( rookie, bad luck, regulated to the third line, etc etc ) but going on the eye test, he has underperformed in crunch time his last two times in the postseason. His story is obviously not over and he should have more shots at changing that perception of him.... but right now, he's looking more like another #19 that was here 10 years ago. #NoShowJoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad