Post-Game Talk: Bruins finally lose one

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
You know what I do like about that YouTube clip they have on there boards? The fact that Edwards, while globally ridiculed by habs fans/media ripped into Thornton for embellishing. Maybe if other fan bases announcers' follow, they can truly show how bad it looks. Hats off to Edwards for calling Thornton out. Maybe Pierre houde or whomever should do same for habs and other teams.

My 2 cents.

He said that on Hamrlik after an actual hit. He was, of course, silent for Thornton.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Marchand was absolutely lambasted by people here after that game. No one here is saying he's immune, but it's not even close to the level of the Habs and Nucks.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My opinion on the diving thing is this....

Every team has players that dive from time to time. There is no denying that. Marchand's done it, Chara's done it...it happens everywhere.

The difference is that your franchise was built playing that kind of game. It's in the Hab DNA, and it's part of the identity. I hate that aspect of the game, I hate when our players do it, I hate when anyone does it.

Your franchise is the patriarch when it comes to that style of play, which is why it's so infuriating to watch. A guy on the Bruins does it and he gets reprimanded for it...a guy on the Habs does it, and it's celebrated.

You know I'll have to disagree here. Not sure where you go back to when you say it's in the DNA but not sure that any of those hall of famers were known as divers and embellishers. Not sure a whole lot of embellishing DNA were in the 1986 team that won the Cup. Nor was it that much on the 1993 one. Not that long ago, before Houle started to **** that team up, and Gainey never recognized what was really need, was the Habs known as a soft team. Yes, we do have our big time embellishers. I'd say Price do when he's hit in his crease. I,d say Markov does it with his glove throwing in the air when he's touched with a stick. We can say Subban does it as well. But look throughout the rest of this present team and name me a real repeat offender in that regard AS OBJECTIVE you can be. You will have a tougher time. Yes, we once had Ribeiro. His antics wasn't appreciated within the team, ask Saku Koivu. So, I will believe that it's going too far to say that this franchise was build over divers and embellishers.

Sorry, didn't see your post when you talked about the last 15 years. Well, just checked the PP opportunities, 'cause that's what Julien based his opinon on, and we were in 97-98: 15th, 98-99: 18th, 99-00: 19th, 00-01: 3rd, 01-02: 26th, 02-03: 28th, 03-04: 24th, 05-06: 20th, 06-07: 22nd, 07-08: 5th, 08-09: 2nd, 09-10: 30th, 10-11: 16th, 11-12: 3rd.

So I fail to see how we're the patriarch based on such a poor PP opportunities record. We have not been top 5 every year. And yet, I believe that even if we would have been, to me, it makes just as much sense as looking at the penalty minutes given to your or any other team and come to the conclusion that it makes your team filled with goons and violent players.....Would make no sense either way. But then will come the "subjective" part where you'll probably say that it's not always about PP opportunities, contrary to Julien, that you just have to watch the games and see for yourself. Which to me, is just as accurate as to think that the Bruins are just a goon team. When each fanbase tries their subjective approach...there's just no way we can take anything for real. From either side.

Habs fans are the only ones I've heard say (and on a consistent basis) "whatever gets you on the powerplay"

Well, I am quite present on the Habs board, and as objective I can be (though it is tough), I can tell you that whenever a clear dive happens, there's a lot of people who hates it.

Ask 28 other fanbases their thoughts are on the Bruins and the Habs. You will get your answer there. Id be shocked if you found 5 fan bases that would want their team to take after Montreal and not Boston.

Pretty sure that in all honesty...even Montreal would choose Boston. 'Cause that's what teams do....try to copy the teams that wins. Not sure it's exactly based on style of play. I mean, it went as far lately that based on the Philly vs Chicago finals, that you finally didn't need the greatest goalies to win it all which obviously was totally false. But if a fast and skilled team would win despite being faced with a tougher and grittier team, chances are people would also copy that said team. Yet, while you'd probably choose to copy Boston, it's merely impossible to do it on a short period of time. You need players that are actually the toughest in the league AND some great hockey players on top of it. You don't copy that.....you hope for great trades and great draft picks and it then happens over time. But who will trade a Chara or a Lucic? Doesn't happen often. It's probably easier to hope that your goalies saves you and that you play in a tight system on top of having some skills everywhere. The greatest mix is obviously the best, but tough to obtain.

Last edited:

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
You obviously missed the point completely. The video was made to point out Julien's hypocrisy.

I shan't be watching that biased video by a poster that hates the Bruins since his team was beat in the SCF. I didn't miss the point so much as I am not going to listen to it or acknowledge it.

All teams dive. I am just sorry the Habs fans feel they have to come over here to be so righteous. Its ridiculous.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Are there this many Bruins fans on the Habs board trying to teach them the error of their ways? If so, that's ****ing embarrassing.

I hate the Habs. I always have, I always will. I hate the way they play the game, I hate their uniforms, I hate their chants, I hate their fans. I hate absolutely everything about that franchise. Some people grow up in a God-fearing household, I grew up in a Habs-hating household.

But please....keep telling me how wrong I am for having the opinions that I do. What is it you're hoping to accomplish exactly?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

You obviously missed the point completely. The video was made to point out Julien's hypocrisy.

Actually it was made by a vancouver can with too much time on his hands who still is butt hurt about 2011

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Funny thing is that Julien isn't the only coach who has ever complained about the Habs and the diving to draw the penalties.

I will say that I don't think the Habs were diving all over the ice last night (playoffs 2011 however is a different story).

However, my complaint isn't so much the diving-it is the fact that the Habs always get the calls in their favor (one missed call last night in the Habs favor as far as missing out on a PP but they also got away with two clear penalties-the cross check on Seguin and the delay of game).

Being honest here-I think half of Julien's complaint wasn't about last night's game specifically but in generally about the fact that the Bruins practically have to be bleeding on the ice for the ref to lift his arm for the penalty, and sometimes bleeding on the ice doesn't get the penalty called.

There has been at least one penalty that was blatant and could potentially be injury causing in multiple games this season that has gone uncalled. We have even had players leave the ice for the locker room and clearly injured without getting the call.

Think the elbow to Dougie's head was probably the first one.

But hey-Bergeron did slip on a puck and land on his butt, and guess what? The ref's arm went up and the Bruins got a call in their favor.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Habs fans are the only ones I've heard say (and on a consistent basis) "whatever gets you on the powerplay"

As far back as I can remember (since the 60's), the habs rely heavily on their PP to win games. The opposite can be said for the Bruins, who don't get many PP chances, and don't have a very good PP. The B's are more used to killing penalties, which has resulted into the best PK team in the NHL.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Are there this many Bruins fans on the Habs board trying to teach them the error of their ways? If so, that's ****ing embarrassing.

I hate the Habs. I always have, I always will. I hate the way they play the game, I hate their uniforms, I hate their chants, I hate their fans. I hate absolutely everything about that franchise. Some people grow up in a God-fearing household, I grew up in a Habs-hating household.

But please....keep telling me how wrong I am for having the opinions that I do. What is it you're hoping to accomplish exactly?

I just commented on their embellishment topic I wont go back since I like this forum & do not want to be kicked out.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
Being honest here-I think half of Julien's complaint wasn't about last night's game specifically but in generally about the fact that the Bruins practically have to be bleeding on the ice for the ref to lift his arm for the penalty, and sometimes bleeding on the ice doesn't get the penalty called.

That's about what I thought of it, as well.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks Kate, that pretty well sums up my feelings for the habs and their fans since I was a kid.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

You may or may not have been referring to my post, but I'm just pointing out that hate doesn't become fact, no matter how we shake and bake it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Best of luck the rest of the way my friend.

I know you don't mean that....unless you're talking about my personal luck, which I then say thanks a whole lot....;) Fun to discuss with you.

Always fun. Great to disagree politely with people. Others should try it on both sides.

I know it was never my intention. Just that, in the heat of a rivalry, I believe that tons of misconceptions are being thrown left and right frmo either side and it's just for a discussion purpose that I believe it's great to have each side of the medal......But there's obviously no clear intention for you to stop hating the Habs. I wouldn't do that....I know...it's too great to hate teams. It adds to the fun of the game. Unless it's too personal, hating is fine with me.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, that's what I think, too. There has been frustration building in this department for weeks (if not longer), and for whatever reason last night it boiled over. It may have been ill-timed, in that I didn't see much in last night's game to specifically warrant that outburst. But time will tell if it has any positive or negative effect on either the team in their play, or their total PP opportunities. In Claude I trust, though...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You may or may not have been referring to my post, but I'm just pointing out that hate doesn't become fact, no matter how we shake and bake it.

No you're right, it doesn't...but facts and stats can be spun a million different ways to suit a million different agendas. If I had the time and the inclination, I could dig up some stats to support my point of view if I wanted to, but I have no interest in doing that.

My dislike is raw. It's pure. I don't feel the need to quantify it, as much as it may tick some off. Some things aren't/don't have to be logical, and a Bruins fan hating the Montreal Canadiens is one of those things. That's what makes it fun.

....and I wasn't referring to your post, I don't mind you. :D You should know that I'm usually up for free and challenging dialogue...we've had several conversations about other things. Not on this one, though.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
Please don't flame other posters. Even those posters who are not here at the moment and spend their time sifting his tears into Bruins hate videos. THanks

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Yeah, that's what I think, too. There has been frustration building in this department for weeks (if not longer), and for whatever reason last night it boiled over. It may have been ill-timed, in that I didn't see much in last night's game to specifically warrant that outburst. But time will tell if it has any positive or negative effect on either the team in their play, or their total PP opportunities. In Claude I trust, though...

Bruins have the least amount of powerplay time and power plays and the Habs have the most.

The Habs have 40 more powerplays and 100 minutes more of powerplay time in the first part of this season then the Bruins.

I could see why he is frustrated, I see players slash Chara and are draped all over him and nothing is called, just because you are playing against a larger team and players doesn't mean that the penalties shouldn't be called.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Expose the hypocrisy on you own forum. That stuff won't fly here and I've seen it enough to be pretty damned touchy about it. Your forum doesn't appreciate Bruins fans "exposing your hypocrisy" on your forum, I'll wager. You don't see me over there telling people they "missed the point" of the "Call 911" jokes.

I'm having a civil discussion. I'm not insulting anyone nor am I trolling. I didn't post the video, I simply replied to one of your posts.

Right. You really want to get into a discussion of which team embellishes/dives more? :laugh:

Talk about ridiculous.

It's not about who dives more. All teams dive. Julien's comments last night made it seem as if the Bruins NEVER dive, so a video was made to show how hypocritical his comments were.

I said what I had to say. I'll make my way out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00