Post-Game Talk: Bruins destroy Pengoons 6-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Please tell me that you tried to sing "Please Don't Go Girl" in the falsetto whilst under the influence.

....and that's there's video evidence somewhere.

No video. It's a shame that his voice changed....just can't make it happen anymore.

I did see two of my regular Garden beer guys. It was like a happy reunion.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I don't know enough about hockey systems to pinpoint what exactly is different about this team's breakout right now. Maybe the gameplan hasn't changed and they're just executing better...but man it has been awesome for a while now. They keep making these short chip passes until they get the puck to the blue line and then if there's open space they are off to the races.

If anything systematic has changed I'd say that it seems to me like they have gotten away from the endless reversals behind the net. It seems like their gameplan in their zone is collapse --> block shots/turn puck over --> keep the puck moving towards the blue line --> carry it out once past the forecheck. They're spending a lot less time sending the puck back towards their own goal line and it is doing wonders for this team.

edit: actually one other adjustment seems to be to what the guy on the boards does with the puck. In the past they'd have a guy post up on the halfwall who would either make a breakout pass to the neutral zone or reverse to the D. This seemed like something teams tended to counter easily b/c if they cut off the outlet pass they could trap the puck in deep. Now that guy on the halfwall seems to be just chipping the puck into the neutral zone instead of looking for a clean pass every time. Then everyone just skates like hell for it.

I think part of it is what the other teams aren't doing. T.O pinched their D down aggressively on the strong side wing and had high forward help to pressure the puck which gave the B's fits. Rangers were super passive and didn't pinch much at all allowing that winger to usually have a couple options either to skate or pass out of the zone. Pens D are pinching, but they have zero forwards high making it easy to chip the puck out or push it back to the middle for the center coming from behind the play and bingo bango you've got an odd-man rush which we've seen an awful lot of through 2 games..

nyr199435

Oct 25, 2010
Rangers fan here. Stopped in after you guys sent us packing to wish you well against the crybabies. Stopping in again to say I'm glad to see an Original Six team with great (not fair-weather) fans beating up on these idiots. I am REALLY hoping you guys sweep 'em. It would make me feel soooooo much better about going out with a whimper in Round 2.

Take that sense of entitlement that the Pens and their fans have, and throw it back in their faces! If they want to win, they gotta work. Keep it up B's!

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I live in DC and i was driving around just now listening to the only half way decent rock station in DC 101.1 FM and the DJ gets on and tells the story about the jetblue pilot who asked if sidney crosby was the crying baby on the plane.. and proceeds to give a round of applause and said he will now try to fly jetblue. Had to share this with you guys!

(DC sports fans equally root for the capitals, the same amount they root against the penguins and mainly sidney)

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Any good recent montages to get pumped up with before the game tomorrow? Seems like there used to be a lot more. Maybe the guy providing all the video went on strike?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Please tell me that you tried to sing "Please Don't Go Girl" in the falsetto whilst under the influence.

....and that's there's video evidence somewhere.

I don't have a video of KP singing it but I do have him singing it from Sunday's show :)

I'm convinced one of them kicks Jordan Knight in the nuts so he can hit those high notes:amazed:

Moose Of Woe

May 22, 2013
I think the Pens have solved their goaltending problem.

Considering he's done nothing at center anyway, he can't suck any more than Vokoun or MAF in the blue paint.

Cindy should jump at the chance to play goalie. With that mask and all the padding he can hide from the big mean Bruins while running his arrogant mouth. (Until Tuukka comes cross ice in a brawl.)

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I just remembered, they were asking who should start in net for game 3. They're pumping up Fleury's tires, and EddieO says something like Fleury's been okay, so he should start, blah blah. Boychuk then immediately blasts that shot by him. Was hilarious.
2 of the 3 Fleury let in were from far out and he had no scres.
Marchands as a laser, and boychuck has a hard shot but still, go to have those.

Same could be said for Tuukka, and Sutters shot, if you compare Marchand to Sutter, but Tuukka hasn't let in a bazzillion goals so I give him a break.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Vokoun is sooo slow. That Marchand 1st goal was taking a swig out of his waterbottle before he even moved his glove :yo: Who do you go with? The big, steady and slow Tomas or head case Fluery?

You know when I played hockey, and out team was completely outmatched by the other team and it was a mere formality, we switched goalies for fun. Perhaps khudobin (sp) could play for Pitt for then fun of it. I mean, he is better than both of Pitts goalies.:D:D:naughty::nod:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Posters keep saying that Pitt can get back in it if they play D.
They don't play D.
Haven't played D in a long while, so it isn't something that they can just
start doing.
The only way Pitt will win is if it becomes a run and gun series, and CJ will never
let that happen.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pit not only has a goalie problem, but they have a real defense problem. It's amazing how many times their players get out of position on defense. Not just their defensemen, but everyone. Iginla has been pretty bad defensively, for example. Granted, their goalies have looked less than good, however those guys cannot have a lot of confidence when the Pit offense isn't scoring and the defense is skating around like morons on ice. Hopefully Boston continues its methodical dissection of the defense of Pit.

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
Pit not only has a goalie problem, but they have a real defense problem. It's amazing how many times their players get out of position on defense.

Yep. Its why they almost went down 3 games to 1 to the Islanders. If a team with some wheels puts pressure on them, they are exposed.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Posters keep saying that Pitt can get back in it if they play D.
They don't play D.
Haven't played D in a long while, so it isn't something that they can just
start doing.
The only way Pitt will win is if it becomes a run and gun series, and CJ will never
let that happen.

This was my thought exactly.

People like Milbury are saying the Pens should be playing better D, and clamp down, but that's not what they do. It's like trying to ask a leopard to change it's spots. I am not saying that the Pens cannot play better D than they have (they could not be worse), but even when they were winning a ton of games, the Pens still turned the puck over quite a bit.

I think the problem is that they have not run into a team playing with such structure, discipline, and such a high level of D. When you combine this with Rask's play, it makes for a pretty hard combo to break. I am not really worried about what the Pens do, as I think the B's took their best shot in Game 1, and were still standing. If the B's play their game and execute, they win the series, period.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Pit not only has a goalie problem, but they have a real defense problem. It's amazing how many times their players get out of position on defense. Not just their defensemen, but everyone. Iginla has been pretty bad defensively, for example. Granted, their goalies have looked less than good, however those guys cannot have a lot of confidence when the Pit offense isn't scoring and the defense is skating around like morons on ice. Hopefully Boston continues its methodical dissection of the defense of Pit.

Could not have said it better. We are pumping on all cylinders now and Pitt will not match!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad