Post-Game Talk: Bruins destroy Pengoons 6-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I've been worried all along that they might come back. Crosby is a baby, but he's an almost superhuman player when he wants to be. I'm very wary of writing them off too early.

But that Letang quote reminds me so much of all the dumb quotes out of Vancouver in 2011 that it really makes me think that team just doesn't have the mentality necessary to come back from this.

To dig out of this whole they'd need to have the humility to recognize why they're getting beat and just shut up and work their way out of it. Instead they keep dismissing the team they're playing and acting like this is just a bump in the road. That sense of entitlement and arrogance is what made me believe the Bruins could beat the Canucks and I'm starting to get that feeling about this series too.

Mmhmm ... Kevin Bieksa anyone?

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I thought Chara numbers were better last night and now Claude has the ability to match up in the next 2 . I would have been worried about the Bruins in the past but since the almost defeat in game 7 vs tor they look more focused on the job at hand.
Rask is the better goalie of the 3 and now the Pens are in a bit of a mess what to do in nets. If Cooke gets the bit out of Line Thorthon going to rock his world. The BRUINS NEED TO STAY FOCUSED AND DO THEIR JOB AND COME OUT AND STEP ON THEIR NECKS AND CHOKE THE LIFE OUT OF THOSE PENS.Game 3 is very hugh and they cant afford to sit back and let the pens dicate play in our bulding.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
I think you could almost but not ready to say it yet give the Bruins the edge in team grades when you compare
Top lines
Horton I would say is a little better than Neal both scoreing pwf Horton vastly outproduces him in Play-off
Krejci has more points than Malkin in these Play-offs he has the edge
Lucic and Iginla are sorta differn't players but man has one been a freight train all post season, and Iginla has not created offence has been in front of net for rebouund duties but other than that not too much special.

Second lines
Bergeron V Crosby, Bergy owns him a much more complete player 2/3 the offensive player but 4 times the defensive player
Marchand is head and shoulders above Kunitz
Jagr is a better Sniper than Dupiss
* Kunitz and Dupius can not create there own offence when Crosby is shut down they are shut down I say Ryder is better than either.

Third lines
Morrow V Pevs Obvious edge Morrow
Kelly V Sutter right now Sutter even defence offence Sutter scares me the most this series of all Pitt players(Based on match-ups of course he is not there top player)
Seguin is better than what ever Pitt throws on there 3rd line RW

Fourth line goes to us not close.

Defence
We have more goals from our defence against slightly better goaltending, but they throw out more offencive D-man so I would wash it.

Overall they have the edge if they want to Throw out Neal with the other two they can get a line slightly better than the Krejci line Bergerons line would own their new second but there third makes up the tiebreaker.

As the line are now I would give us the edge slightly but if they make a super line they regain the edge.

Man Krejci and Bergy deserve to be mentioned with the elite Centers I take our top 6 wings over theres any day (others will disagree if they don't think Kunitz and Dupius are as overrated as I do)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Man Krejci and Bergy deserve to be mentioned with the elite Centers I take our top 6 wings over theres any day (others will disagree if they don't think Kunitz and Dupius are as overrated as I do)

I agree-Krejci and Bergeron both often get overlooked in elite center discussions (unless its about the Selke than Bergeron gets some love).

I also agree that as a unit I would take our top 6 over theirs.

One of the things that makes Krejci awesome is that he is an offensive minded center who is solid defensively-and Bergeron is Bergeron-who is currently owning Crosby-but I think our wingers make those lines strong as a unit. Horton and Looch have been amazing and Marchand has found his game after a rough first series. Jagr gets ragged a bit but he has created several goals by moving the puck to the open man. The pass to Bergeron was a beauty.

I would also take our top 6 with the snake bitten Seguin (Seguin is at least playing well away from the puck).

Not sure if the Pens don't usually back check but in this series I think they believe back checking is against the rules.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

Everything about this quote just screams entitlement that is prevalent in that organization. Starting from their ownership on down and coming from the mouths of their apparently talented but mentally soft skaters.

Letang is -5 through two games of the Eastern Conference Finals. He just really needs to swat the microphones away from his face and shut the **** up.

Holy Christ, I've grown to have an almost irrational hate for the Penguins that's not even healthy.

slava112

Nov 26, 2006
Letang is right - to an extent. Teams don't have to forecheck as hard when the your captain and superstar gives up a breakaway on the first shift. It's worth noting, Crosby was playing Letang's point. So when your defenseman thinks he's Bobby Orr and your 1st line center looks like Matt Lashoff, the opponent can sit back and play with a lead.

The Pens had good puck possession for ~8-10 minutes after that first goal, took a penalty, and gave up a classic can't-clear-the-puck goal because guess who couldn't kill a penalty.

He would have been better off saying "I played like drunken dog****," because being snarky about the Bruins forecheck just makes him sound like a whiner.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
I agree with all three concerns.

The reality is the Pens have some talented/dynamic players who can be deadly if they choose to show up and play in all three zones.

I also agree that I am most worried about a dirty hit that takes out one of our players. There were more than enough high hits and elbows last night.

i think if we get the lead first, it negates their desire to take stupid penalties. If it is a dirty hit, then they risk another game disqualification and get a major penalty that would put a crinch on their offense if they have to kill off penalties.

They have not had a lead in the series yet and if the B's score first I think it puts them back on their heels as they would be forced to play more defense. They do not want to fall behind again 3-0 or 4-1 again in game #3.

I'm sure they will play with a sense of urgency now and will throw everything at the Bruins to get back into the series. They realize they have to work hard now to beat the B's as the B's are rolling now.

The passing is great, short passes and long ones that defeat the Pens forechecking deep in the zone and allowing the B's odd man rushes in the Pens zone.

Hopefully the B's smell the blood and have that killer instinct to put them away while the Pens are reeling.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't know enough about hockey systems to pinpoint what exactly is different about this team's breakout right now. Maybe the gameplan hasn't changed and they're just executing better...but man it has been awesome for a while now. They keep making these short chip passes until they get the puck to the blue line and then if there's open space they are off to the races.

If anything systematic has changed I'd say that it seems to me like they have gotten away from the endless reversals behind the net. It seems like their gameplan in their zone is collapse --> block shots/turn puck over --> keep the puck moving towards the blue line --> carry it out once past the forecheck. They're spending a lot less time sending the puck back towards their own goal line and it is doing wonders for this team.

edit: actually one other adjustment seems to be to what the guy on the boards does with the puck. In the past they'd have a guy post up on the halfwall who would either make a breakout pass to the neutral zone or reverse to the D. This seemed like something teams tended to counter easily b/c if they cut off the outlet pass they could trap the puck in deep. Now that guy on the halfwall seems to be just chipping the puck into the neutral zone instead of looking for a clean pass every time. Then everyone just skates like hell for it.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
:laugh:
It still makes me laugh.

yet the one for Philly, about lady shaving their mustaches or something was more offensive than the TB one, yet Philly could take a joke

moustache-050410-main-425x230.jpg

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Good article from Grantland.com...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...sburgh-penguins-nhl-eastern-conference-finals

My favorite part...
Crosby's just kind of a punky pain in the ass, and he doesn't need to be. He's arguably the best player in the league, and certainly the best one in the series. Every time he gets hit, we get a German opera complete with Valkyrie maidens, and, completing the unlikable hockey double, he's never committed a penalty of which he's ever been aware. And what's he doing in the first game, after the second period was over, shoving Boston goalie Tuukka Rask from behind, and then getting in Zdeno Chara's face — or, more accurately, his collarbones — in response? That's something you do if you're a fourth-line center who's trying to keep from getting sent back down to Kamloops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad