GDT: Bruins @ Caps | 9.26.14 7PM | CSN

Burakovsky95*

Especially if something happens to Nicky.

*knocks on wood*

I seriously don't understand how you're lowering your expectations based on 3 preseason games where he played with AHLers, Vrana, and one game with the blackhole brothers.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
You're putting this all on 3 games of preseason hockey when he put up 9 points in 17 games last year playing 4th line minutes under Adam Oates.

Coldplay is right though. He's a winger. If you're going to play c, you need to be good at playing with the puck. Kuzya is not quite ready yet. Why not play him at a position he's comfortable in?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Who forced the turnover that led to Brouwers shot. That was nice cause it saved Green's bacon, and led to the GWG.

Burakovsky95*

Coldplay is right though. He's a winger. If you're going to play c, you need to be good at playing with the puck. Kuzya is not quite ready yet. Why not play him at a position he's comfortable in?

Are you kidding me? He's probably already our 2nd best player when he has the puck on his stick. That's his main strength and why he's been incredibly successful in his career so far. Did he have a great game tonight? No, but judging him off that is ridiculous. He's also been a center his entire life so that comfortability thing doesn't work, watch his dominate WJCs. Only started to play the wing late.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's early, but so far I don't see anything really promising, especially on offense. Besides Ovi on the PP, Caps don't generate anything consistently. 4th line looked good today, but I don't expect that to translate into anything substantial.

So far Caps look just like last year's Caps, only with more experience on D, once the starting lineup gets put together.

Should make playoffs. Won't get anywhere until top-6 starts producing at even strengh.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Are you kidding me? He's probably already our 2nd best player when he has the puck on his stick. That's his main strength and why he's been incredibly successful in his career so far. Did he have a great game tonight? No, but judging him off that is ridiculous.

I'm talking about possession with the puck. He's played in 2-3 games in the pre-season and hasn't had much possession of the puck. Even last year, he wasn't great at holding onto the puck. I'm judging it on what I've seen overall since he came over. Are you really comfortable with a guy who came to NA 7 months ago and is still trying to learn the North American game at 2c? It's much safer to just go out and get a 2c. I don't know what we have that other teams want though.

Burakovsky95*

I'm talking about possession with the puck. He's played in 2-3 games in the pre-season and hasn't had much possession of the puck. Even last year, he wasn't great at holding onto the puck. I'm judging it on what I've seen overall since he came over. Are you really comfortable with a guy who came to NA 7 months ago and is still trying to learn the North American game at 2c? It's much safer to just go out and get a 2c. I don't know what we have that other teams want though.

Throw the preseason games out of the window please. I don't understand what you're talking about. He was great with the puck last year considering he played with Wilson and Beagle the entire time. The guy is known for what you're trying to say he isn't good at lol.

1. Yes I want to hand him the reigns

2. We have nothing to land a 2C without creating a larger hole. No teams really have available 2Cs. They don't grow on trees. Evidenced by the past 10 years of this franchise.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's early, but so far I don't see anything really promising, especially on offense. Besides Ovi on the PP, Caps don't generate anything consistently. 4th line looked good today, but I don't expect that to translate into anything substantial.

So far Caps look just like last year's Caps, only with more experience on D, once the starting lineup gets put together.

Should make playoffs. Won't get anywhere until top-6 starts producing at even strengh.
Well, it's early...but...yeah. Unless the top six either cycles/battles substantially better or their transition game gets dramatically more crisp and explosive they're not likely to be all that much better 5-on-5. I suppose in theory maybe the PK improves with Orpik but who knows how much.

The coaching staff has a lot on their plate and not a ton of time to go through it. From tactics to inspiration/motivation to evaluation to instilling greater respect for the game in terms of details...it's a lot to tighten up (and a lot of loose/dumb players). I do think the coaching staff will do a far better job of pushing them but even still I'm not sure how much certain players have to give beyond their comfort zone.

Just about the only time Kuznetsov flashes is when he's carrying the puck through the gut of the neutral zone and that's easier as a center bridging the play. He had a nice defensive shift late. I'd keep him there. Shrug. Outside of faceoffs the problems are elsewhere (personnel/tactics).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Chimera, Brouwer, Latta, Brown - I can see them being ready to play their roles.

Laich? No way. 4LW soon enough I guess. OK, it's too early. But still I don't feel him being a factor.

Also, Holtby better be very good.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Throw the preseason games out of the window please. I don't understand what you're talking about. He was great with the puck last year considering he played with Wilson and Beagle the entire time. The guy is known for what you're trying to say he isn't good at lol.

1. Yes I want to hand him the reigns

2. We have nothing to land a 2C without creating a larger hole. No teams really have available 2Cs. They don't grow on trees. Evidenced by the past 10 years of this franchise.

Let's see how that works out. If Backstrom gets injured and we only have Laich and Kuznetsov to be 1c, you'll be wishing we made a trade for a 2c.

The only trade assets we actually have are: The 1st/2nd round pick. I doubt we'd trade the 1st unless we get a great center. We can also trade Fehr and Johansson. I doubt that'll get you a 2nd line c.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'd love to see him at RW though. That seems to be where he's most dangerous.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Fehr-MJ-Brouwer
Chimera-Latta-Kuz
Laich-Beagle-Brown

:P

EDIT: Chimera-Latta-Ward should be a pain in the ass for the opponent.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Fehr-MJ-Brouwer
Chimera-Latta-Kuz
Laich-Beagle-Brown

:P

EDIT: Chimera-Latta-Ward should be a pain in the ass for the opponent.

I propose rules of Caps line creation:

1. Do not put Laich and Brouwer on same line (check)
2. Do not put Laich in top 6 (check)
3. Keep Chimera and Ward together :)()
4. (artilector rule) Break up Backstrom and Ovi :)()

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
None of them had hissy fits when they were pulled for goals that weren't their fault like Holtby
Holtby didn't have a hissy fit. It's been reported by more than one source that Holts was NOT yelling at Oates about being pulled but at the guys that they needed to step it up and show defense for Grubi out there. It was NOT about him, it was about the team/defense not doing their job, which is the same dang thing that we the fans we're complaining about. Holtby's always said he understands when he gets pulled, he doesn't like it, but he gets why the coach does it. It's what is best for the team because he wants the team to win and if he's not doing what needs to be done, then the coach is going to make that call. But heaven forbid the facts get in the way of your Holtby-sucks narrative, right?

I thought the 2nd-half of the 2nd period/3rd period we looked pretty good. We didn't let the Bruins get into a good flow, and we kept the puck away from them pretty well. There was some nice passing, some nice moves, and I'm seeing some good play and hustle from various players.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If Backstrom gets injured and we only have Laich and Kuznetsov to be 1c, you'll be wishing we made a trade for a 2c.

And if Ovechkin gets injured? What about Holtby? Every team has a couple guys who if they go down for a long period of time that means trouble. For once one of those spots isn't on defense...

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I propose rules of Caps line creation:

1. Do not put Laich and Brouwer on same line (check)
2. Do not put Laich in top 6 (check)
3. Keep Chimera and Ward together :)()
4. (artilector rule) Break up Backstrom and Ovi :)()

Those are going to be some ****ed up lines.

Fehr-Backstrom-Brouwer
Ovi-Johansson-Kuznetsov
Chimera-Latta-Ward
Brown-Beagle-O'Brien

:help:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hey guys, just wondering, how has Liam O'Brien looked? I wanted the Rangers to give him a tryout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad