GDT: Bruins @ Caps | 9.26.14 7PM | CSN

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering, how has Liam O'Brien looked? I wanted the Rangers to give him a tryout.

He got a Gordie Howe hat trick tonight. I cant see any way he does not get a contract with the organization. I can see him being a great bottom six guy.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's sad how low the bar has been set after Oates. I like Trotz so far but he has his work cut out for him.

Yeah. It's a low bar, but as someone else said, it's partly PTSD among the fans, and each indication that Trotz knows what he's doing will help the healing process

I didn't expect a fast turnaround tho. I'm ok with the idea that it's a longer-term project to fix this team. The effects of three coaches in three years culminating with the Oates debacle will take time to set right.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This is good news. Trotz is not blind or insane.

I trusted Trotz, a traditional NHL coach, would see the obvious flaws in the Caps.

They could trade one of Kuz/Vrana/Burakovsky with one of their many wingers for very good C. That deal has to be out there and they don't have the time to piss away in making it.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I want to say that, amazingly, having 2 guys in front of the net for the random pass of the board pays off! Who would have thought?

Kuznetsov will never reach his potential if he plays with Laich, because Leaderp thinks he's a superstar and should be a puck carrier, playmaker and the shooter on his line. Kuzya isn't great without a puck (though it looks like he improved along the boards), and his style is based on puck control.

Didn't like Niskanen's game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is good news. Trotz is not blind or insane.

This is the biggest takeaway I've gotten from the last few months. I've agreed with probably 99.9% of what I've seen/heard from Trotz so I'm not expecting too many head-scratching moves or "failed experiments" that last all year.

These are not even full rosters on either side of the ice. We have to be selective in what we analyze. Things like seeing potential in prospects and assessing the health of veterans can be done across the board. Judging overall team chemistry and performance is probably last on the list, right below judging veterans by effort. However, when you see a disgruntled vet displaying "buy in" during the preseason it may mean something. I *think* I'm seeing that from Green, but it remains to be seen if it's honeymoon enthusiasm, contract year effort or true commitment to the Trotzinator.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://wnst.net/nhl/how-are-the-caps-evolving-under-trotz/
WNST: Is there anything different on the break out?

Oleksy: It’s pretty similar, he wants us to feel comfortable. At this level, I think everybody thinks the game well enough to make hockey decisions. He puts that in our hands, which is nice, that way you are giving teams different looks and it’s not so robotic. I think that’s a good thing for us, especially with the skill there on the back end between guys like Niskanen, Green, Carlson and over on the left hand side with Alzner and Hillen. I think when you let those guys get creative I think they are going to create a lot of offense too.
This and "we're going to get our chances" makes me wonder. I don't necessarily mind if the coaching staff initially focuses on defense but they could stand to get better everywhere. The breakouts need work and so does their decision-making and tenacity all over the ice.

Around the league, even in the other new coaching situations, you can get a broad sense of the amount of work and composure on display. The Caps have lacked in both areas for a long time and still look to be too loose and reactive. There's still too much glide in their game overall and not sure that'll be an easy tendency to hammer out of them. Trotz really has his work cut out for him. With the free-for-all 2C comment you wonder if they're not casting about for external options just in case.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I want to say that, amazingly, having 2 guys in front of the net for the random pass of the board pays off! Who would have thought?

Kuznetsov will never reach his potential if he plays with Laich, because Leaderp thinks he's a superstar and should be a puck carrier, playmaker and the shooter on his line. Kuzya isn't great without a puck (though it looks like he improved along the boards), and his style is based on puck control.

Didn't like Niskanen's game.
This right here. This is the sort if absurd **** that is killing the quality of this board. Silly hyperbole driven by personal agendas.

Here's a reality many don't want to recognize: if a player can be anchored by a linemate, he's not a very good player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

This and "we're going to get our chances" makes me wonder. I don't necessarily mind if the coaching staff initially focuses on defense but they could stand to get better everywhere. The breakouts need work and so does their decision-making and tenacity all over the ice.

Around the league, even in the other new coaching situations, you can get a broad sense of the amount of work and composure on display. The Caps have lacked in both areas for a long time and still look to be too loose and reactive. There's still too much glide in their game overall and not sure that'll be an easy tendency to hammer out of them. Trotz really has his work cut out for him. With the free-for-all 2C comment you wonder if they're not casting about for external options just in case.

I actually like that comment from Oleksy. As I said last season, one issue with Oates' massive systemization would be the ability of other teams to know what's coming. Allowing the players to be more creative (within reason) removes that issue and plays to their elite athletic abilities more. This could be similar to the unleashing we saw under BB after Hanlon, which then turned into stagnation. I doubt Trotz would let it stagnate if lack of structure becomes the problem, since he seems to be very detail oriented without going OCD contrarian control freak like Oates.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Here's a reality many don't want to recognize: if a player can be anchored by a linemate, he's not a very good player.
Show me a player that can't be anchored by a linemate!
NobodyBeatsTheWiz - Gretzky - Acallabeth would give Wayne 150 pts, right?
Ovechkin after his month with Beagle isn't good enough for you, right?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
* that comment shows the difference in coaching. Oates was a micromanager. Stick curves and all. If he is allowing his skill defense to read and react, the he is probably not telling deciding their stick curves either. Let this coach, coach. and give it more than a freaking week to take hold.

* Laich hate. geez. its funny.

Halpysback*

I think it's more that he doesn't want Laich to ride Kuznetsov's coattails the way he rode Semin's while bringing the latter's game down. A valid concern since Kuznetsov is young, inexperienced and actually knows how to hockey.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
This right here. This is the sort if absurd **** that is killing the quality of this board. Silly hyperbole driven by personal agendas.

This is a silly hyperbole that falls into a narrow-minded train of thought that overemphasizes individual ability in a team sport. You could put Kopitar or Crosby or whoever with one or two terrible possession players and they're still going to be affected negatively even if they are good enough to carry the line. But there's usually only one player on a given team capable of doing that. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, if the complementary players aren't there to help out a good (not elite) player he can easily look bad.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

I actually like that comment from Oleksy. As I said last season, one issue with Oates' massive systemization would be the ability of other teams to know what's coming. Allowing the players to be more creative (within reason) removes that issue and plays to their elite athletic abilities more. This could be similar to the unleashing we saw under BB after Hanlon, which then turned into stagnation. I doubt Trotz would let it stagnate if lack of structure becomes the problem, since he seems to be very detail oriented without going OCD contrarian control freak like Oates.

I'm not too worried about "coaching up" the puck carrier. IMO much more of the breakout comes from having the other guys on the ice in the right position to give the puck carrier options. That's maximizing the benefit of creative back-end players (assuming that the other guys are indeed coached to the right spots).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm not too worried about "coaching up" the puck carrier. IMO much more of the breakout comes from having the other guys on the ice in the right position to give the puck carrier options. That's maximizing the benefit of creative back-end players (assuming that the other guys are indeed coached to the right spots).

This.

And also, there's a lot needs fixin' on this team. Gotta give Trotz some time. If he dives into solving every issue at once, he won't get far on any one thing. Step by reasonable step.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Show me a player that can't be anchored by a linemate!
NobodyBeatsTheWiz - Gretzky - Acallabeth would give Wayne 150 pts, right?
Ovechkin after his month with Beagle isn't good enough for you, right?

Ovechkin put up 50-50 with Clark and Zubrus. Crosby puts up 100 every year with not much on the wing. Malkin produces no matter who he's put with. Semin scored 40 with Brendan Morrison at center (and guess who on his other wing). Mike Green put up 70 points with Jeff Schultz as his partner. Kopitar is basically a lock for 70 points no matter who is put on his line. There are countless examples of players that aren't anchored by their linemates.

Keep using the anchor ******** against Laich if you wish, but an agenda entirely derived from one 2-on-1 when he didn't pass to Ovechkin comes of as petty and personal. There's no history of him sinking a line.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ovechkin put up 50-50 with Clark and Zubrus. Crosby puts up 100 every year with not much on the wing. Malkin produces no matter who he's put with. Semin scored 40 with Brendan Morrison at center (and guess who on his other wing). Mike Green put up 70 points with Jeff Schultz as his partner. Kopitar is basically a lock for 70 points no matter who is put on his line. There are countless examples of players that aren't anchored by their linemates.

Keep using the anchor ******** against Laich if you wish, but an agenda entirely derived from one 2-on-1 when he didn't pass to Ovechkin comes of as petty and personal. There's no history of him sinking a line.

What line has Laich ever made better? Semin got his with any linemates.

Fact is, Laich has been mediocre-to-awful since the 09-10 season, and more recently he's just been awful/injured and overpaid.

He's been completely outplayed by nominal 3rd liners like Chimera & Ward.

Last year him and Brouwer combined to make every center ineffective.

As far as I can see, the argument "for" Laich rests on him magically recapturing his form of BB's Caps' years.

Miracles happen, of course, but I expect him to continue to be a waste of space, just like he's been for the last ~4 years.

The funny thing to me is that at his very peak, Laich was a dude who once in a while showed a nose for garbage goals and some semblance of a touch around the net. So even if he gets back to his own ceiling, it's nothing mindblowing, especially at 4.5m.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it's more that he doesn't want Laich to ride Kuznetsov's coattails the way he rode Semin's while bringing the latter's game down. A valid concern since Kuznetsov is young, inexperienced and actually knows how to hockey.

oh that's cool. Semin, one of the most hated Caps of the Ov generation had his game brought down. It was Laich that made Semin commit all those stick fouls that would send this forum into a head spin everytime. OK.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You don"t think he has NHL potential?

Very very limited. He's a try hard player, but I just don't see much NHL talent there. Maybe a few stints while other guys are hurt, but I don't really see him as a regular unless he takes some serious strides. As much as I'd like to find our next Matt Hendricks, I'm skeptical that O'Brien is that.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
oh that's cool. Semin, one of the most hated Caps of the Ov generation had his game brought down. It was Laich that made Semin commit all those stick fouls that would send this forum into a head spin everytime. OK.

Lol, what do Semin's stick fouls have to do with anything, besides being a big factor why he was hated?
Semin produced goals with any linemates.
Laich, on the other hand, stops producing as soon as he gets put together with grinders.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's been leaching off skilled players here.

Now, leaching is also a very useful skill, nothing wrong with that, but in recent years Laich can't even do that well. He used to be supposedly an elite complementary player. He is not that now, and it's doubtful that he can get back to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->