Bruins Board 2014 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
How many prospects in the last two years have we drafted out of the CHL?

Any?

I think what Colt is saying here, is that there seems to be an effort to avoid the Canadian major junior leagues. And that it's troubling, because they have historically produced by far the most talent and continue to do so.

I'm sorry Colt, if I'm putting words in your mouth. I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but I AM concerned for the same reasons. And it seems as though this team wants to get smaller. And I have concerns about that too.

An effort to avoid Canadian Junior leagues? Seriously? You think the Bruins are deliberately passing over prime talent because they play major Canadian junior?

If a kid's a stud, I doubt any team cares where he comes from. If the Bruins expand their horizons, IMO that's a very good thing.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'm sorry, but that's not what is being said at all.

He answered a ridiculous question with an equally ridiculous answer

From Red Line Report
NHL Draft players per nation
Canada 76
USA 65
Sweden 28
Russia 13
Finland 9
CZE 8
Swiss 2
Latvia 2
SVK 1
Den 1
Germany 1
Austria 1

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Any?

I think what Colt is saying here, is that there seems to be an effort to avoid the Canadian major junior leagues. And that it's troubling, because they have historically produced by far the most talent and continue to do so.

I'm sorry Colt, if I'm putting words in your mouth. I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but I AM concerned for the same reasons. And it seems as though this team wants to get smaller. And I have concerns about that too.

That's exactly why there's value in non CHL players though. There appears to be a bias towards taking more CHL kids and earlier, it actually creates value for kids taking a different route. Not to say there aren't kids drafted after Fitz, Donato etc from the CHL that will turn out to be better players, but there is some evidence to support that you're more likely to grab a kid that's been overlooked if you go another route.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

Any?

Nope, you nailed it.

Some of you are assuming that I am complaining that we are not taking a guy out of the WHL, or something.

To Clarify: I have NO problem with drafting a guy from the New Zealand Jr. Beer League --IF he is the best player available when you pick. It just seems, to me, that we are going out of our way (ie. targeting) guys that we don't have to worry about signing for 4+ years. To me, that is a sure recipe to continue being one of the worst-drafting team in the NHL the past 5 years.

Button was talking about this on the radio the other day --the need to be aware of what your own personal biases are so that they don't hurt you.

Do you think Mr. Harvard himself has a bias towards kids going that route also? Do we have a bias for picking "bloodlines" (which seems to be a sacred cow for us) --how has that worked out for us so far?

This isn't a critique of the Donato pick --he could turn out to be gold-- but it is very troubling if we are targeting inferior players just because it gives us more time to make a decision on them. Take the best player possible *every round* and let the chips fall where they may.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
An effort to avoid Canadian Junior leagues? Seriously? You think the Bruins are deliberately passing over prime talent because they play major Canadian junior?

If a kid's a stud, I doubt any team cares where he comes from. If the Bruins expand their horizons, IMO that's a very good thing.

I'm saying ZERO (now I could be wrong about that :laugh: ) prospects from the CHL in two years. How do you get zero in two drafts without making a conscious effort to do so?

And it's not as though this management team has drafted so well over the years that they've earned a "pass." I think we're justified in feeling critical of how this team has drafted. I'm not pissy about it. I'm not shouting from rooftops.

But I'm sure hesitant to feel good about it either.

EDIT: I'm NOT pissy about it. Somehow I forgot that very operative word.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nope, you nailed it.

Some of you are assuming that I am complaining that we are not taking a guy out of the WHL, or something.

To Clarify: I have NO problem with drafting a guy from the New Zealand Jr. Beer League --IF he is the best player available when you pick. It just seems, to me, that we are going out of our way (ie. targeting) guys that we don't have to worry about signing for 4+ years. To me, that is a sure recipe to continue being one of the worst-drafting team in the NHL the past 5 years.

Button was talking about this on the radio the other day --the need to be aware of what your own personal biases are so that they don't hurt you.

Do you think Mr. Harvard himself has a bias towards kids going that route also? Do we have a bias for picking "bloodlines" (which seems to be a sacred cow for us) --how has that worked out for us so far?

This isn't a critique of the Donato pick --he could turn out to be gold-- but it is very troubling if we are targeting inferior players just because it gives us more time to make a decision on them. Take the best player possible *every round* and let the chips fall where they may.
who is the inferior players we are targeting or are you generalizing but if so, I don't see any inferior players drafted in the top 3 rounds recently looking over the list unless you want to count Colborne

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You guys know where the Heinen connection comes from?

Heinen signed with Denver, whose coach is former UMaine star Jim Montgomery. This will be Montgomery's first season at Denver, and Heinen's part of his first recruiting class. Previously, Montgomery had been the Head Coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints... who are owned by Peter Chiarelli.

FWIW, before the draft, Montgomery told a local writer that he believed Heinen could go as early as the 3rd round.

so in essence the Bruins stole Heinen getting him where they did:handclap:

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
I'm saying ZERO (now I could be wrong about that :laugh: ) prospects from the CHL in two years. How do you get zero in two drafts without making a conscious effort to do so?

And it's not as though this management team has drafted so well over the years that they've earned a "pass." I think we're justified in feeling critical of how this team has drafted. I'm pissy about it. I'm not shouting from rooftops.

So if I understand you and colt are saying we should have drafted another Hamill or Caron instead of who they choose?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Good catch. Just a guess, but my gut tells me Montgomery talked to PC, mentioned that the scouts should take a look at him. They probably did, and came away more impressed than his stats and history let on.

Hence why is was selected - PC likely had a list of guys that had to picked before him, but obviously he was next on the list when they got to him.

Milan Lucic worked out with Brendan Gallagher during his draft year and told the Bruins they should draft him. Wish Chiarelli had listened to that connection.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

And it's not as though this management team has drafted so well over the years that they've earned a "pass." I think we're justified in feeling critical of how this team has drafted. I'm pissy about it. I'm not shouting from rooftops.

Well, they didn't have a first-round pick last year, and from all I've heard, this isn't exactly a stupendous draft year. I suppose I could be wrong - were there a bunch of CHL studs the Bruins avoided?

They've chosen CHL players in the past, and I have no doubt they will in the future.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Nope, you nailed it.

I agree on this one, it seems to me a players stock can increase disproportionately because of who their parents are. I don't think it's just the Bruins, I think it's evaluations in general. Obviously just a personal opinion, and I think there is something to be said for good genetics, and good family in general, but not convinced a pro hockey playing father warrants a significant boost up the rankings.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney

Did they get a pass from 2010 to 2012 because they selected 4, 3, and 3 players respectively from the CHL? There is no question that the bruins have had some questionable drafting techniques, whether they draft from the chl or not. For me, I'm just hoping that they took the best players they could find regardless of source.

I guess a case could be made that the best players in the Bruins' system are from the CHL, however, it also must be noted that the CHL draftees were generally drafted in earlier rounds than the rest of the cohort, thus the probability is that they would be better prospects. I think the pattern has been generally to draft CHL players early than draft the lesser known quantities that require heaps of seasoning (this year and last year [no first round pick] being an anomaly).

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
So if I understand you and colt are saying we should have drafted another Hamill or Caron instead of who they choose?

:facepalm:

does this need to be posted again for people to read.....

GM Chiarelli expounded on it yesterday:

“Here’s the attraction to an NCAA pick, or even a European pick: If they’re in a good program, they’ll develop, and you get him for four years, essentially,†Chiarelli said. “Sometimes that youngster isn’t ready, or strong enough, when he turns 20 to play in the American League. So you get that little period where he gets a little stronger, and provided it’s a good program — whether it’s in the European leagues or colleges. Colleges, we see a little more, we’re closer to. We get a lot of good players coming out of college. I like their development, too.â€

Chia explaining his attraction to college players, hence were one might think maybe he is targeting NCAA players of late for the reasons listed above.

if you don't see were the question can be raised based on those comments and the lack of CHL picks recently then I cant help you.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
:facepalm:

does this need to be posted again for people to read.....

GM Chiarelli expounded on it yesterday:

“Here’s the attraction to an NCAA pick, or even a European pick: If they’re in a good program, they’ll develop, and you get him for four years, essentially,†Chiarelli said. “Sometimes that youngster isn’t ready, or strong enough, when he turns 20 to play in the American League. So you get that little period where he gets a little stronger, and provided it’s a good program — whether it’s in the European leagues or colleges. Colleges, we see a little more, we’re closer to. We get a lot of good players coming out of college. I like their development, too.â€

Chia explaining his attraction to college players, hence were one might think maybe he is targeting NCAA players of late for the reasons listed above.

if you don't see were the question can be raised based on those comments and the lack of CHL picks recently then I cant help you.

They were getting poor results when drafting CHL players so it only make sense to change your strategy. You should Draft the best player available because most teams focus on the CHL the best players when the Bruins draft are usually European.

Mr. Make-Believe

They were getting poor results when drafting CHL players so it only make sense to change your strategy. You should Draft the best player available because most teams focus on the CHL the best players when the Bruins draft are usually European.

What?! I'm not even gonna... What?!

Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Malcolm Subban, Khokhlachev, Seth Griffith, Dougie Hamilton... ALL out of the CHL.

Mr. Make-Believe

Well, they didn't have a first-round pick last year, and from all I've heard, this isn't exactly a stupendous draft year. I suppose I could be wrong - were there a bunch of CHL studs the Bruins avoided?

They've chosen CHL players in the past, and I have no doubt they will in the future.

I guess that would mean the Bruins have drafted nothing but "studs" for the last two seasons...

Fact is, they haven't drafted out of there in two straight seasons. And then Chiarelli offers a statement as to why they're focusing on different leagues. You can agree with the strategy, disagree with it, or really have no opinion one way or the other. But I find it difficult to denythat it's a strategy they're employing.

Artemis, I love ya... But I don't think that criticizing the Bruins draft strategy is such an "out there" opinion that it's worthy of your snark.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
What?! I'm not even gonna... What?!

Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Malcolm Subban, Khokhlachev, Seth Griffith, Dougie Hamilton... ALL out of the CHL.

You yourself just said the Bruins were a poor drafting team. Plus what have any of them besides Dougie done so far other than get people thinking the grass is greener. If the Bruins had a top 10 pick they likely would have drafted a CHL player with it but we drafted 25th.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe it's just me, but I think teams around the league are dipping into the college ranks more the past several years than what I can remember growing up in the 90's and 2000's. The NCAA seems to be producing more quality hockey talent and I'm glad the Bruins are jumping on that bandwagon.

Mr. Make-Believe

You yourself just said the Bruins were a poor drafting team. Plus what have any of them besides Dougie done so far other than get people thinking the grass is greener. If the Bruins had a top 10 pick they likely would have drafted a CHL player with it but we drafted 25th.

The limited success they've had in the draft has come almost EXCLUSIVELY from Canadian Major Junior hockey.

But har har har... Look at Zach Hamill. Har har har.

Listen... You can agree with the Bruins. That's okay. It very well COULD be that we see a lot of the guys of the last couple of drafts end up being some of the best picks out of any teams. And that we see a switch from more and more clubs over time to avoiding the CHL.

I'm of the opinion that that's not going to happen. That I understand the benefit that Chiarelli is talking about and I have to admit that I really like a couple of the picks the Bruins have made in the last two drafts... But that it's not reason enough to not draft kids out of the best programs in the world when it comes to developing young talent. And if they had earned the benefit of the doubt at this point by being stellar at the draft, then I'd be right with ya, sitting back in my chair with a smile on my face.

Mr. Make-Believe

Maybe it's just me, but I think teams around the league are dipping into the college ranks more the past several years than what I can remember growing up in the 90's and 2000's. The NCAA seems to be producing more quality hockey talent and I'm glad the Bruins are jumping on that bandwagon.

And I don't want to sound as though I'm ignoring this very important fact either. The NCAA keeps getting better and better and they deserve a lot of kudos for doing so.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I guess that would mean the Bruins have drafted nothing but "studs" for the last two seasons...

Fact is, they haven't drafted out of there in two straight seasons. And then Chiarelli offers a statement as to why they're focusing on different leagues. You can agree with the strategy, disagree with it, or really have no opinion one way or the other. But I find it difficult to denythat it's a strategy they're employing.

Artemis, I love ya... But I don't think that criticizing the Bruins draft strategy is such an "out there" opinion that it's worthy of your snark.

Who's snarking? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the draft this year - just asking if I missed something.

And sorry, MMB, you're all over the map here. You say the Bruins aren't drafting out of the CHL, then list a number of recent Bruins picks out of the CHL. You seem to agree it's a good thing they're looking more closely at college players in one post, and knock it in another.

Colt reads a report that says the Bruins are expanding their drafting horizons and unsurprisingly overreacts. That you shop in another market or two doesn't mean you abandon the one you patronize - it just means you can sometimes find a better bargain elsewhere. Nowhere in that story did Chiarelli say or even hint that he's not interested in junior players. No GM in his right mind in this day and age would shun ANY market.

Mr. Make-Believe

Who's snarking? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the draft this year - just asking if I missed something.

And sorry, MMB, you're all over the map here. You say the Bruins aren't drafting out of the CHL, then list a number of recent Bruins picks out of the CHL. You seem to agree it's a good thing they're looking more closely at college players in one post, and knock it in another.

Colt reads a report that says the Bruins are expanding their drafting horizons and unsurprisingly overreacts. That you shop in another market or two doesn't mean you abandon the one you patronize - it just means you can sometimes find a better bargain elsewhere. Nowhere in that story did Chiarelli say or even hint that he's not interested in junior players. No GM in his right mind in this day and age would shun ANY market.

I'm saying that he hasn't drafted out of the CHL in two years. Which looks like he's shunning that market. And that his comments seem to back that up. I disagree with that strategy.

"More of a focus" doesn't mean shutting out the best programs in lieu of.

For someone such as me who finds the Bruins' drafting to be suspect of late, I find the idea of moving entirely away from the one place where you've seen any kind of consistency in your success - is a bad idea. Or at the very least, one that is reasonable to consider... uh. Difficult to champion.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz (47/60 in top 60):

Anders Bjork USA NTDP RW
Smooth, calculated two-way winger has a desirable overall package. Saw some really nice snipes, and good crafty hands in traffic over the course of the year. Unfazed by rough stuff, he’s a low cost forward for a team as you know what you’re getting. One of those guys right at the cusp of being more than what he is. Just not sure he has another level in him, which he’ll need as he can lull you to sleep sometimes.

Pastrnak (29) and Donato (28) is a tremendous one-two in the top two rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad