Bruins Board 2014 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

He's also instantly AHL eligible because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, he's already great success in the Allsvenskan which is a pretty solid men's league despite not being the top Swedish division. Soderberg spent a lot of time in that league, Filip Forsberg came from that league, don't know what the OHL has to offer a Pastrnak.

Adjustment to the North American game. With some guys it's instant, with some guys it takes awhile. That's probably the biggest + to having him come over early...not to mention probably the most important thing anyways. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't play in the smaller, more physical style of game it won't matter.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Adjustment to the North American game. With some guys it's instant, with some guys it takes awhile. That's probably the biggest + to having him come over early...not to mention probably the most important thing anyways. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't play in the smaller, more physical style of game it won't matter.

That's a good point, I'd rather have him do that in the AHL than the CHL I think. At this point in development I think quality of competition is huge.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
I think a year of CHL and then a year against AHL competition would really help Pastrnak. Gets him accustomed to the North American style and then the year after he plays against men

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like this organization sees a lot of value in letting prospects simmer and grow slowly, which is something I love from a rational fan perspective but as a lunatic, I want to see what we've got like a kid on Christmas.

Either way, you have to think they won't send him to the A. Even if he REALLY impresses them at Dev. camp. I wouldn't count on it.

I'm sure learning to play with the differences between Euro and NA games is something some will downplay but ultimately will be a process time lends itself to and will do so in the CHL. Luckily we're at a position where we don't have to rush anyone up. I really like their selections in the first two rounds.

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario
What?! I'm not even gonna... What?!

Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Malcolm Subban, Khokhlachev, Seth Griffith, Dougie Hamilton... ALL out of the CHL.

I think you just answered your own question.

Add those players to our existing core and tell me where a CHL player fits within the next 4-5 years? Why on earth would you burn years on a ELC when you don't have to?

Are some of these guys targeted, absolutely. I seem to remember Scott Bradley being overly fond of Kris Versteeg who was also not rated if I remember. Bradley was almost too excited and wanted the Steeger in the 4th round. But....they were patient and got him in the 5th. The guy the B's took in the 4th ended up being a stiff and Bradley would have been right taking Versteeg at that point.

I appreciate the fact they have a plan that looks at the bigger picture. Sure they hit and miss on players at times, but sometimes you get a Hamill or Caron when you're hoping for a Logan Couture or Ryan O'Reilly.

I give the B's credit for playing the NCAA route in terms of trades and free agents like Krug and Bart. Believe it or not there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Drafting is just part of the process, as is free agency, and trades. Scouting is scouting and if you do your homework you will win some Cups. Hey didn't we like just like do that in 2011? We also tried again in 2013. 2014 Presidents Trophy.

We will have draft years like 1996 and 2007, but we will also have others like 2003, 2004 and 2006. It's now up to our 2010 and 2011 kids to show us what they got, nevermind the 2012-2014 kids.

Funny enough despite all of that. I still think Pastrnak has the potential to win a spot on the team now knowing full well of all the immediate concerns. I remember watching him in the WJC and thinking wow. The kid has some serious skills and I'm a sucker for the Underdog.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Add those players to our existing core and tell me where a CHL player fits within the next 4-5 years? Why on earth would you burn years on a ELC when you don't have to?

Are some of these guys targeted, absolutely. I seem to remember Scott Bradley being overly fond of Kris Versteeg who was also not rated if I remember. Bradley was almost too excited and wanted the Steeger in the 4th round. But....they were patient and got him in the 5th. The guy the B's took in the 4th ended up being a stiff and Bradley would have been right taking Versteeg at that point.

I appreciate the fact they have a plan that looks at the bigger picture. Sure they hit and miss on players at times, but sometimes you get a Hamill or Caron when you're hoping for a Logan Couture or Ryan O'Reilly.

I give the B's credit for playing the NCAA route in terms of trades and free agents like Krug and Bart. Believe it or not there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Drafting is just part of the process, as is free agency, and trades. Scouting is scouting and if you do your homework you will win some Cups. Hey didn't we like just like do that in 2011? We also tried again in 2013. 2014 Presidents Trophy.

We will have draft years like 1996 and 2007, but we will also have others like 2003, 2004 and 2006. It's now up to our 2010 and 2011 kids to show us what they got, nevermind the 2012-2014 kids.

Funny enough despite all of that. I still think Pastrnak has the potential to win a spot on the team now knowing full well of all the immediate concerns. I remember watching him in the WJC and thinking wow. The kid has some serious skills and I'm a sucker for the Underdog.

Post of the year. :thumbu:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
First I would like to say this past draft was a "pick your poison" type of draft after the first round. There was really not much to get excited about in the Bruins picks. I disagree with those who say Euro players should not come and play in the CHL. It's the closest thing to the type of game they play in the NHL. If you listen to any player that comes in to these leagues from outside of Canada they will tell you that is the reason they chose to play in the CHL. Here in Kitchener on the Rangers there are presently 9 Americans and two Europeans. They all say to a man they are playing in the OHL because it's the closest system to the NHL. Not saying there aren't other routes to take but this is the fastest providing the player has the skill to progress to professional hockey. A huge percentage of those drafted don't.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

wow, great to see you back, JFM, you, big week for the old gang!!! if that is your kid Shane, very cute....dont be a stranger

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
So does anyone actually like Pastrnak? And where does he project in the Bruins farm system hierarchy? Is he a top tier offensive prospect on the wing? If you tell me he's the next Jordan Caron, I think I'll have to go shoot myself! LOL

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So does anyone actually like Pastrnak? And where does he project in the Bruins farm system hierarchy? Is he a top tier offensive prospect on the wing? If you tell me he's the next Jordan Caron, I think I'll have to go shoot myself! LOL

more Sandy Moger than Caron:sarcasm:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Scroll back in the thread for a full rundown on Pastrnak.

In short, yes, some people like him.

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario

He has the WOW factor that you look for in a skilled prospect.

member 96824

Not a B's pick but a player of intetest...sounds like Ho Sang could make the Isles. "Looks like a man amongst boys" was a quote from the tweet machine, and thats a dev camp that features Dal Colle, Reinhart, Pulock, etc.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011

I like him a lot.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Not a B's pick but a player of intetest...sounds like Ho Sang could make the Isles. "Looks like a man amongst boys" was a quote from the tweet machine, and thats a dev camp that features Dal Colle, Reinhart, Pulock, etc.

Definitely think he's going to be a top 5 player coming out of this draft. Shame the Bruins are allergic to talent/CHL players recently.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Definitely think he's going to be a top 5 player coming out of this draft. Shame the Bruins are allergic to talent/CHL players recently.

The Bruins weren't the only team to pass on him. And it might be a good idea to wait and see what happens. Nobody makes a team in development camp.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The kid clearly has some maturity issues. Good on the Isles for taking the risk, he may wind up being one of the most skilled kids of the draft, and they'll have built up some loyalty by trading up to get him and making him feel wanted when 29 other teams wanted no part. If he gets his head on straight it could potentially be a terrific story for the Isles.

Lord knows they need a few of those haha.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This comes from Brock Ottens Prospect report on the CHL Import Draft

10. Belleville Bulls - David Pastrnak - Forward
The Bulls opted to take Pastrnak, a Czech forward (playing in Sweden) who the Bruins took 25th overall at the 2014 NHL draft. The stocky winger had success at the U-18's and the U-20's this year and appears to be a favourite among scouts. He would add a lot to the Bulls line up should he report, which seems to be up in the air at this point.
Scouting Report: Our anonymous Euro scout says, "Love him, prefer him over higher selected Czech Jakub Vrana. Such creative and instinctive player, you never know what he will do with the puck, makes surprising decisions. Great puck control, tough to contain in tight, very agile and shifty, quick changes of direction. Excellent stickhandler. Like his mentality on and off the ice, very determined, great passion. Very tenacious and always competes hard for puck when he loses the puck, wants to get it back immediately. Excellent passing touch and vision, makes saucer sets-up in traffic. Not afraid of contact at all, takes hit to make play and goes through checks despite of average size. Never gives up on play, loses puck but able to get it back immediately, aggressive and quick stick, steals pucks. Can score in many ways, has excellent hands in close and accurate shot with quick release." Future Considerations had him ranked 18th in 2014 and had this to say about him, "Pastrnak is a flashy, creative offensive talent who is dangerous every time he touches the puck. His game is a lot about handling the puck at high speed. He loves to collect some speed in the neutral zone and challenge his defender one on one. On the power play, he plays the left circle, passes the puck quite well and is constantly looking for the one-timer. His shot is lethal; it’s super hard and super accurate, and what’s amazing about it is that he doesn’t need too much space or time to release it. He’s not easily knocked off the puck. Pastrnak didn’t get much done in his own zone, as his defensive game has a way to go, but he is still a pretty hard-working player overall. Physically, there is not much to his game to write about. He does not like to get hit and rarely throws a big check of his own."

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

The Bulls opted to take Pastrnak, a Czech forward (playing in Sweden) who the Bruins took 25th overall at the 2014 NHL draft. The stocky winger had success at the U-18's and the U-20's this year and appears to be a favourite among scouts. He would add a lot to the Bulls line up should he report, which seems to be up in the air at this point.
Scouting Report: Our anonymous Euro scout says, "Love him, prefer him over higher selected Czech Jakub Vrana. Such creative and instinctive player, you never know what he will do with the puck, makes surprising decisions. Great puck control, tough to contain in tight, very agile and shifty, quick changes of direction. Excellent stickhandler. Like his mentality on and off the ice, very determined, great passion. Very tenacious and always competes hard for puck when he loses the puck, wants to get it back immediately. Excellent passing touch and vision, makes saucer sets-up in traffic. Not afraid of contact at all, takes hit to make play and goes through checks despite of average size. Never gives up on play, loses puck but able to get it back immediately, aggressive and quick stick, steals pucks. Can score in many ways, has excellent hands in close and accurate shot with quick release." Future Considerations had him ranked 18th in 2014 and had this to say about him, "Pastrnak is a flashy, creative offensive talent who is dangerous every time he touches the puck. His game is a lot about handling the puck at high speed. He loves to collect some speed in the neutral zone and challenge his defender one on one. On the power play, he plays the left circle, passes the puck quite well and is constantly looking for the one-timer. His shot is lethal; it’s super hard and super accurate, and what’s amazing about it is that he doesn’t need too much space or time to release it. He’s not easily knocked off the puck. Pastrnak didn’t get much done in his own zone, as his defensive game has a way to go, but he is still a pretty hard-working player overall. Physically, there is not much to his game to write about. He does not like to get hit and rarely throws a big check of his own."

Nice read : THANK YOU

member 96824

The Bruins weren't the only team to pass on him. And it might be a good idea to wait and see what happens. Nobody makes a team in development camp.

Nope, but it's still an interesting story to watch, probably the most interesting in the entire draft, as development camp is the first chance they have to get a shot at it. Hence why they have development camp in the first place.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Shame the Bruins are allergic to talent/CHL players recently.

That had zero to do with the decision not to draft Ho-Sang.

He could have been playing for Sodertalje of the Allsvenskan and they still would have taken Pastrnak over him.

Right or wrong, they made a decision not to draft JHS based on concerns they had about his character...not where he was playing, or because they don't think he has the talent to make it. In time, they may be proven wrong for passing on him, but given that Pastrnak is a sort of anti-Ho-Sang in terms of his personality and dressing room presence, I think they took the right guy.

Last edited:

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
That had zero to do with the decision not to draft Ho-Sang.

He could have been playing for Sodertalje of the Allsvenskan and they still would have taken Pastrnak over him.

Right or wrong, they made a decision not to draft JHS based on concerns they had about his character...not where he was playing, or because they don't think he has the talent to make it. In time, they may be proven wrong for passing on him, but given that Pastrnak is a sort of anti-Ho-Sang in terms of his personality and dressing room presence, I think they took the right guy.

I REALLY like that

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I have a lot of respect for Brock, he does great work, not to mention he invites me to do some draft rankings with him and others.

I admit that for selfish reasons I'd love to see him in Belleville for the upcoming season. (I'm told by the Bulls they haven't contacted the Bruins or whether they will).

But giving it some thought, I'd prefer he stays in Sweden. The OHL would be great to get acclimated to the North American game/ice and so would the AHL, but I'd rather the AHL.

Belleville plays on what is basically Olympic sized ice surface and switching back and forth from Olympic size to NHL size ice 34 times a season is not something I consider a good thing in getting him acclimated.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have a lot of respect for Brock, he does great work, not to mention he invites me to do some draft rankings with him and others.

I admit that for selfish reasons I'd love to see him in Belleville for the upcoming season. (I'm told by the Bulls they haven't contacted the Bruins or whether they will).

But giving it some thought, I'd prefer he stays in Sweden. The OHL would be great to get acclimated to the North American game/ice and so would the AHL, but I'd rather the AHL.

Belleville plays on what is basically Olympic sized ice surface and switching back and forth from Olympic size to NHL size ice 34 times a season is not something I consider a good thing in getting him acclimated.

Aren't a lot of ice surfaces in Europe Olympic size? I would rather he played for the Bulls. Get use to a style more similar to NHL hockey. That's just my opinion. Sounds like a real decent pick by the Bruins. One never knows though. Some high end OHL players have been drafted lately by the Bruins and they are still languishing on the farm. It's an indication that the Bruins demand a certain level of skill and consistency for a player to crack their roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad