Bruins Board 2014 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
They were getting poor results when drafting CHL players so it only make sense to change your strategy. You should Draft the best player available because most teams focus on the CHL the best players when the Bruins draft are usually European.

disagree 100% that that's the reason they didn't draft out of the CHL the last couple of years.

if they truly feel these guys were the best player available, good on them, but if you go by chia's comments, if that influenced the choices over just strictly best player available, then I'd question it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm saying ZERO (now I could be wrong about that :laugh: ) prospects from the CHL in two years. How do you get zero in two drafts without making a conscious effort to do so?

And it's not as though this management team has drafted so well over the years that they've earned a "pass." I think we're justified in feeling critical of how this team has drafted. I'm not pissy about it. I'm not shouting from rooftops.

But I'm sure hesitant to feel good about it either.

EDIT: I'm NOT pissy about it. Somehow I forgot that very operative word.

Seriously man.

When they project two players as equal (not equal today, but they consider will be equal at the next level) and in a position of depth, then the obvious choice is to draft a non CHL player.

CHL players MUST be signed within 2 years, non CHL players within four. You know, it's asset management. Not using up contract spots, not burning up years on ELC's before they play in the NHL.

Kirk has talked about this at length. We are making this out to be more than it is.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Seriously man.

When they project two players as equal (not equal today, but they consider will be equal at the next level) and in a position of depth, then the obvious choice is to draft a non CHL player.

CHL players MUST be signed within 2 years, non CHL players within four. You know, it's asset management. Not using up contract spots, not burning up years on ELC's before they play in the NHL.

Kirk has talked about this at length. We are making this out to be more than it is.

Wait, you're saying it's not because "Mr. Harvard" is prejudiced toward college players? :sarcasm:

Thanks for the clarification.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Wait, you're saying it's not because "Mr. Harvard" is prejudiced toward college players? :sarcasm:

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not even sure why it needs clarification Artemis. It seems like people come in and read the last post and respond without ever reading the thread. It's been discussed here at length.

It's like the posts that, even today, say Bruins should buyout Chris Kelly when it's been said a million times they can't.

It gets tedious and frustrating at the same time responding with the same answer repeatedly.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I don't think the Bruins are shunning any league. Most teams are having to make cap moves. Does anybody know what having a 30% success rate in the draft for 3 straight years would do to a teams' cap?

Oh, I know 30% is way out there but you would not understand other wise.

Bruins are using the right strategy as far as I am concerned. Next year they might go 50-50 (CHL/Euro-NCAA). I wonder what the threads are going to sound like then.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I'm not even sure why it needs clarification Artemis. It seems like people come in and read the last post and respond without ever reading the thread. It's been discussed here at length.

It's like the posts that, even today, say Bruins should buyout Chris Kelly when it's been said a million times they can't.

It gets tedious and frustrating at the same time responding with the same answer repeatedly.

Too many casual fans who don't have much knowledge and don't follow things in depth spoil good threads repeatedly.

It's frustrating reading them so I can imagine what it's like for you. I'm amazed that you have the patience and good will to keep answering them. You are a good man Mr. T. :nod:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

It didn't require clarification, because it didn't address the argument.

But I know, I know... Questioning the Bruins draft is way out of the question. Why would I even say anything?

Mr. Make-Believe

The part about not being allowed to criticize the Bruins draft.

This isn't hard, man. You can make your points without that kind of stuff, right?

Don't you think Dom deserves better? I can handle it when you pull this stuff with me, but really- get out of junior varsity and step up the A-game, please.

He saw it fit to complain about my post and how tired he is explaining things over and over again. When that explanation has little-to-nothing to do with my argument at all. I can hardly be equated with those who harp on the Chris Kelly compliance buyout, as I took him at his word that it was impossible after he posted such.

If you have any more concerns about my candor (which is generally pretty damn amiable, I might add), feel free to PM me instead of airing it out on the public forum.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Yowza! It's a battle of the heavyweights right here.

Maybe let's steer this back to the debate at hand?

MMB is saying that the Bruins have veered away from drafting CHL prospects and he questions the validity of this strategy (despite DOM's and others rationale that NCAA and Junior B prospects is beneficial given BOS's stacked depth chart because of the longer window for development before prospects signing ELC).

MMB...what CHL players did the Bruins pass on in the past 2 drafts who you really feel were worthy of a pick? Aside from Mitchell Dempsey, I like the picks the B's made in 2013. Even without a 1st rounder, they added a little bit of everything and for the most part those players are all on track. As for the 2014 draft, I guess I can see your point a little bit.

Would the Bruins have been better off picking CHL players like Scherbak, Goldobin, Quennville or Barbeshev? It's a valid question. I still like Pasternak, but right now it appears the other players would have been safer picks.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I'm pretty darn happy with this draft. History shows the Bruins rarely spend assets to move up, although I wish they had this year. Other than that, we have a couple strong prospects and some projects that could very well turn out favourably for us.

Not to mention, we still have a decent stable of prospects developing in the system right now - off the top of my head;

- Morrow (D)
- KoKo (F)
- Spooner (F)
- Subban (G)
- Arnesson (D)
- Knight (F)

There are a few others too who I have a feeling will turn out ok as well - Grzelcyk, Cehlarik, and Griffith. All in all, we have a decent stable and a really strong pro team, I have nothing to complain about.

Mr. Make-Believe

Yowza! It's a battle of the heavyweights right here.

Maybe let's steer this back to the debate at hand?

MMB is saying that the Bruins have veered away from drafting CHL prospects and he questions the validity of this strategy (despite DOM's and others rationale that NCAA and Junior B prospects is beneficial given BOS's stacked depth chart because of the longer window for development before prospects signing ELC).

MMB...what CHL players did the Bruins pass on in the past 2 drafts who you really feel were worthy of a pick? Aside from Mitchell Dempsey, I like the picks the B's made in 2013. Even without a 1st rounder, they added a little bit of everything and for the most part those players are all on track. As for the 2014 draft, I guess I can see your point a little bit.

Would the Bruins have been better off picking CHL players like Scherbak, Goldobin, Quennville or Barbeshev? It's a valid question. I still like Pasternak, but right now it appears the other players would have been safer picks.

It's not a matter of specificity in this case. I could make a list of all the CHL players that were ranked ahead of players the Bruins chose at each individual position, but I don't think that's a worthy exercise.

They haven't drafted (aside from ONE 7th round pick) from the CHL in two consecutive seasons. I don't know how one avoids taking picks from the top junior development league unless there's an effort to do so. To pick elsewhere.

So okay... I'm not saying anything outrageous. I don't think.
But there seems to be the debate that I am, somehow. And that's where I lose my cool. Because I'm not being "obtuse" about it. It's what's happened.

Dom says that if it comes down to two players, one from the CHL, etc... Ok. I get that. I understand where that comes from. And I can see that happening from time to time at each of these drafts. But does it happen on every second pick? Is that realistic? I don't think so. And I sure don't believe it's possible that that happens for twelve of the last thirteen selections.

So... the conversation. Or one that I could understand having, would be the merits of prioritizing other leagues OVER the CHL on a near exclusive basis BECAUSE of the opportunity to take more time with whomever one chooses. THAT is a debate that makes sense to have and one that I would - hell - I would ENJOY having. One of the reasons I LOVE coming here to the boards. The Blackhawks draft quite well (I'd say) and they're doing the same thing.

But I won't be told that my skull is thick because I can see the reality of the situation and because I question it. And before you say that that's an unfair statement, consider what would have happened had I accepted that reality and lauded it instead. I guarantee it wouldn't have provoked the kind of responses that my criticisms did. In fact, I doubt it would have been responded to at all.

So there's where I'm coming from.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I dont even know how this started anymore but i dont see where all this outrage is coming from.
They are clearly avoiding the CHL because its more attractive to them as an organization to get guys they dont have to sign so early. They said so themselves.

Now are these guys worse than chl kids? meh i dont think so, at least not this year which was a weak year to begin with.

BTW, something to think about, early predictions for next year top 5: a kid from the OHL, 3! from the US ranks and a swede. how about that?

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Kirk / Dom / Those in the know... Any info on our later round picks?

Thank you! Totally missed it!

Last edited:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
@almuirSI: Boston Bruins first rounder David Pastrnak goes 10th overall to Belleville in the #CHL import draft.

Is an option, he's doing pretty good in Sweden.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Would actually prefer him to stay in Sweden, he's already playing against men, playing against kids would be a step backwards IMO.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
They haven't drafted (aside from ONE 7th round pick) from the CHL in two consecutive seasons. I don't know how one avoids taking picks from the top junior development league unless there's an effort to do so. To pick elsewhere.

The level of competition in the European leagues that Pastrnak, Arnesson, and Cehlarik are in is higher than the CHL.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Would actually prefer him to stay in Sweden, he's already playing against men, playing against kids would be a step backwards IMO.

He's also instantly AHL eligible because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, he's already great success in the Allsvenskan which is a pretty solid men's league despite not being the top Swedish division. Soderberg spent a lot of time in that league, Filip Forsberg came from that league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad