Confirmed with Link: Bruins begin Christmas break - all games this week postponed

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
You know what time it is!!!

PlaintiveSpiritedDingo-size_restricted.gif

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This eliminates the TRAIN they Bruins were going to take to Ottawa on Saturday night - cities are too close to realistically fly.

NESN is thrilled as they now avoid a conflict with the Pats.

That wasn't a problem for them earlier in the season when all their games were Saturday and Sunday. Why do they care now?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The NHL does have a non Olympics schedule in place and teams were told NOT to book their arena on alternate dates but several did so anyways according to Elliott Friedman.

The IIHF has been looking into moving the Olympic tournament elsewhere and China might be willing to do so simply because the Chinese team is so overmatched it will be embarrasing. Only residents of China can attend Olympic events anyways so.....

Why not play the Olympic tournament in the West Coast? For example, Seattle has one event scheduled at Climate Pledge Arena from Jan. 29-Feb. 24. (That’s a Seattle University basketball game on Feb. 10.) I know it’s a rush to put it together, and it’s not going to be the full Olympic experience, but what’s perfect right now? Build the game. Get the IOC to FedEx the medals. It’s better than not playing at all.

I suspect the IIHF making noise about potentially moving the Olympic tournament elsewhere is largely part of the politics and the tit for tat going on with China. This goes back to so many countries announcing that they wouldn't be sending diplomats to Beijing. In response the CCP announced its 5-week Covid quarantine plan for athletes, which makes absolutely no sense from a health point of view and is purely a revenge tactic for the diplomatic slap in the face the party had received. Now we have the IIHF's move - putting heat on China to revise its proposed policy or risk losing one of the premier events of the games.

I believe China will compromise and the hockey will stay put, just remains to be seen how exactly that shakes out. There are broader currents at work here of which our beloved game is only a part. One thing I am pretty sure on - if it comes to it the CCP won't let the NHL pull a late withdrawal of its players without a fight.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I suspect the IIHF making noise about potentially moving the Olympic tournament elsewhere is largely part of the politics and the tit for tat going on with China. This goes back to so many countries announcing that they wouldn't be sending diplomats to Beijing. In response the CCP announced its 5-week Covid quarantine plan for athletes, which makes absolutely no sense from a health point of view and is purely a revenge tactic for the diplomatic slap in the face the party had received. Now we have the IIHF's move - putting heat on China to revise its proposed policy or risk losing one of the premier events of the games.

I believe China will compromise and the hockey will stay put, just remains to be seen how exactly that shakes out. There are broader currents at work here of which our beloved game is only a part. One thing I am pretty sure on - if it comes to it the CCP won't let the NHL pull a late withdrawal of its players without a fight.

The one reason why China might blink is how bad their hockey team will be. No Euro or North American fans allowed to attend is also a factor.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The one reason why China might blink is how bad their hockey team will be. No Euro or North American fans allowed to attend is also a factor.

The Chinese team was always going to be absolutely awful so I think they'll have already prepared themselves to swallow their pride on that one. Plus they're massaging the eligibility rules to allow some half-decent non-Chinese-born players to participate and improve the team a little and they'll only have to suffer through 3 games. Lack of international fans shouldn't trouble them either. With over 21 million people in the immediate Beijing area alone I don't think they'll have any problem filling arenas for games.

Hockey isn't a major global sport but when it comes to the Winter Olympics it's a big deal and the thread of continuity that runs through the whole Games, and the finals draw a very large TV audience. I just can't see China giving that up - a Winter Olympics with no hockey is diminished, and that's a blow to prestige that the CCP won't accept. Stranger things have happened, but to me the chances of the tournament moving are very low.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

They will. They compromise in trade and diplomatic negotiations all the time. Just not in ways that are overly visible publicly or which will make the country and party look weak. It's all about that public image and prestige. The 5-week forced quarantine concept won't stick. It'll be quietly modified in a way that makes the CCP look magnanimous once they've extracted whatever concessions they're after from the IOC and whoever else.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
For the teams that have had postponements has any had 7 or less guys out with COVID. For the teams optionally postponed has it only been the home team? I can’t understand why the Bruins themselves wouldn’t opt for safety on Monday. I can only imagine they are being forced to play. What am I missing other then, well it’s the NHL Duh…

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t want to play again until the Bruins have a good roster. I don’t want to play with the team we had vs the islanders.

Bruins aren't only team going thru this. Florida
was w/o Ekblad, Montour, Barkov and Vatrano
against LA. Carolina played 2F short and beat Detroit.

Ullmark will be in net and they have their entire
D corp other than Zboril intact. Yeah it sucks about
37/63 obviously but Studnicka should replace
Frederic and Smith has been ineffective this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad