Confirmed with Link: Bruins begin Christmas break - all games this week postponed

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As far as I know, Rask doesn't have a contract.

I don't think Sweeney ever planned on bringing Rask back. However, with the current state of the team, he may be using a Rask return to shake up the squad. Better to make Rask a focal point than Cassidy.

No contract, but I strongly believe he had an understanding with Sweeney. I think it was always the plan to bring him back unless it turned out he wasn't able to. Some think that signing Ullmark shows that Don was intending to move on from Rask but I don't see it that way - I think he simply didn't want to play half a season with two young goalies, and/or he didn't want Swayman carrying the load of being the no. 1 goalie at this point in his career, and he was willing to send Jeremy back down to Providence if and when necessary, and sort out everything else at the end of the season.

Swayman has to have known this all along, and at his age and with his meagre amount of experience to date, he's really not in a position to complain about it. But then who knows, I don't think it's yet 100% guaranteed that Ullmark isn't the guy who'll end up making way somehow for Tuuk. Either way, to me Rask has continued to be a part of the squad right through, and once healthy he's just reclaiming his spot. The contract is just a piece of paper that wasn't signed sooner for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure though how his return will 'shake up the squad'? It doesn't change anything about the rest of the roster or how they play, or are expected to play, on the ice. If it's meant to be a sign that the business end of the season has arrived, and it's time to get really serious, then the group is in pretty deep trouble if they need something to spell that out for them. And if it's a way to remove an excuse for some supposedly cheap goals against, well that's a problematic attitude too. I'm sure it'll be a nice boost for everyone to officially have Rask back and playing, but that little bit of extra motivation won't last more than a week.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No contract, but I strongly believe he had an understanding with Sweeney. I think it was always the plan to bring him back unless it turned out he wasn't able to. Some think that signing Ullmark shows that Don was intending to move on from Rask but I don't see it that way - I think he simply didn't want to play half a season with two young goalies, and/or he didn't want Swayman carrying the load of being the no. 1 goalie at this point in his career, and he was willing to send Jeremy back down to Providence if and when necessary, and sort out everything else at the end of the season.

Swayman has to have known this all along, and at his age and with his meagre amount of experience to date, he's really not in a position to complain about it. But then who knows, I don't think it's yet 100% guaranteed that Ullmark isn't the guy who'll end up making way somehow for Tuuk. Either way, to me Rask has continued to be a part of the squad right through, and once healthy he's just reclaiming his spot. The contract is just a piece of paper that wasn't signed sooner for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure though how his return will 'shake up the squad'? It doesn't change anything about the rest of the roster or how they play, or are expected to play, on the ice. If it's meant to be a sign that the business end of the season has arrived, and it's time to get really serious, then the group is in pretty deep trouble if they need something to spell that out for them. And if it's a way to remove an excuse for some supposedly cheap goals against, well that's a problematic attitude too. I'm sure it'll be a nice boost for everyone to officially have Rask back and playing, but that little bit of extra motivation won't last more than a week.

I tend to think bringing back the goalie who has been their primary netminder for the last decade or so would instill some confidence in the team.

But if the plan all along was to bring Rask back, why sign another guy for 4 years at $5 mil per? If Sweeney didn't want to play half a season with two rookies there were other options that didn't need to be that expensive or long term.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I tend to think bringing back the goalie who has been their primary netminder for the last decade or so would instill some confidence in the team.

But if the plan all along was to bring Rask back, why sign another guy for 4 years at $5 mil per? If Sweeney didn't want to play half a season with two rookies there were other options that didn't need to be that expensive or long term.

I bet he knows/believes Rask is giving it one more chance. What 1B type UFA goalies will be available next offseason I wonder?

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I agree that Rask will instil some confidence and reassurance, as long as his play proves up to the mark. But that's not really a 'shake up'. It's hopefully just something that will calm the team down a bit and give them a little more security especially in tight games, plus the knowledge that they have a clear no. 1, veteran goalie behind them again.

As for why sign Ullmark for 4 years? I think that's just Sweeney looking more long-term plus hedging his bets a little. I feel the thinking was that Linus was a guy that Sweeney liked and felt he could rely on for a few years, and he was a FA that could be had there and now for what he considered to be a good price. So he signed him. And I think he did so knowing that Rask's plans for playing on were not long-term, or at least were not set in stone to be so, plus Don had to consider that Tuuk's recovery and return to form may not proceed as hoped, as indeed it still may not.

That's basically my take - that Sweeney was willing to take on the extra baggage and potential complications of Ullmark's contract despite knowing Rask was likely to return because it gave him some potentially longer-term benefits and security. The fact that it may lead to 3 goalies vying for 2 spots next season is something that can be sorted out if and when it comes up. To me that's pretty classic GM thinking and it just remains to be seen how it pans out.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
So let me get this straight…when they come back…the first week of January…they pick up the same schedule they’ve had all year?

I have tickets for the 6th and expect them to pull a scheduling switch a roo, cancel my tickets, give me credit (for the 4th time), and wish me luck picking another game.

Spin the wheel again!

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I still don't miss it. I don't miss the time commitment or the aggravation of not playing well. I really enjoyed the WJC yesterday
I’m there as well. Haven’t missed watching or trying to stay up late to do so.

I’ll have it in as background noise, watch a period or two when I can, and catch up with whatever I miss if it’s compelling enough to bother with.

Too many teams. Too much mediocrity. Too many boring regular season games against nameless, faceless opponents that I have no real dislike for or interest in.

Now this two week break? Meh.

Plenty to watch.

I’ve seen the new Spider-Man twice. Finished Hawkeye. Started Midnight Mass last night.

Book of Boba Fett and Cobra Kai just around the corner.

Still love to play the sport, but the NHL product is no longer compelling viewing.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I’m there as well. Haven’t missed watching or trying to stay up late to do so.

I’ll have it in as background noise, watch a period or two when I can, and catch up with whatever I miss if it’s compelling enough to bother with.

Too many teams. Too much mediocrity. Too many boring regular season games against nameless, faceless opponents that I have no real dislike for or interest in.

Now this two week break? Meh.

Plenty to watch.

I’ve seen the new Spider-Man twice. Finished Hawkeye. Started Midnight Mass last night.

Book of Boba Fett and Cobra Kai just around the corner.

Still love to play the sport, but the NHL product is no longer compelling viewing.

I dont miss the NHL, but I do miss watching Bruins games.
My problem is that I dont really have the attention span to get into different shows. I need some recommendations. Becasue with no Bruins on, I basically watch youtube videos on how to convert vans, busses or loading trucks into livable homes.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Haha I was talking with my old man about this and he was like 'what are they gonna hire replacement refs or cancel the season' my first thought was the disaster of a memory from 10 years ago when they NFL refs went on strike and they hired replacements

Im sure AHL/college/junior refs can do just as shitty of a job as the normal refs. Shouldn’t be a problem. The AHL guys might even let two guys fight without holding one of them back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad