Confirmed with Link: Bruins begin Christmas break - all games this week postponed

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins use time off to work on digging deeper around the net - The Boston Globe

The Bruins, their record frozen at 14-10-2 since Dec. 16, posted a significant W Monday morning: None of their players were added to the COVID protocol list.
A humble victory, for sure, but perhaps a sign that the resurgence in the pandemic is loosening its grip on a club that has seen six games postponed and 11 players recently test positive.
Adding to the win column: Prized left winger Taylor Hall was released from the sick bay list and rejoined his teammates for Monday’s 40-minute workout in Brighton.
Hall lined up on a No. 2 line with Erik Haula in the middle and Craig Smith on the right side, a trio that should be intact when the Bruins finally get back to work (COVID permitting) Saturday with the Sabres in town for a New Year’s matinee.

Hall, Smith, Nick Foligno, and other forwards immediately came to mind last week when team president Cam Neely noted the need for Bruce Cassidy’s charges to take, shall we way, a more direct approach to goal scoring.

After 26 games of mixed results and ofttimes-challenged offense, Neely noted his desire to see more shots taken, fewer passes attempted in lieu of those shots, and an increase in the willingness to battle for pucks around the net.
“Yes, I agree,” Cassidy said following Monday’s workout. “It’s a mentality. It’s a bit of habits. We’re trying to create the habits in practice and we have been for a while; it’s not new.
“But clearly we need to get that message through better, and the players need to buy into it better. Sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone to do

Not surprisingly, Marchand agrees with Neely’s get-to-the-net assessment.

“It’s a habit, and mentality, and to create that or implement it into your game, it takes time, it takes a lot of effort,” he said. “It starts in practice, something you have to incorporate in every drill, get in there, stopping, and if there’s any loose pucks, putting them in, just something you have to continually work on.”

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Im sure AHL/college/junior refs can do just as shitty of a job as the normal refs. Shouldn’t be a problem. The AHL guys might even let two guys fight without holding one of them back

Exactly. My biggest problem with NHL refs is biases. Well, that and game management. Maybe, just maybe, these refs from outside will miss some of that indoctrination.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Im sure AHL/college/junior refs can do just as shitty of a job as the normal refs. Shouldn’t be a problem. The AHL guys might even let two guys fight without holding one of them back
I’m a passable skater and have the NHL rule book, I know all the penalty signs….Oh and can order a striped shirt, just give me a call, couldn’t be much worse than some we have seen:sarcasm:

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

While I'm sure it probably won't happen, the league rules for a severe referee shortage:

Rule 31.11:

If, through misadventure or sickness, the Referees and Linesmen appointed are prevented from appearing, the League will make every attempt to find suitable replacement officials, otherwise, the Managers or Coaches of the two Clubs shall agree on Referee(s) and Linesman(men). If they are unable to agree, they shall appoint a player from each side who shall act as Referee and Linesman; the player of the home Club acting as Referee and the player of the visiting Club as Linesman.

If the regularly appointed officials appear during the progress of the game, they shall at once replace the temporary officials.

EBUR: What if the NHL Needs Emergency Back-Up Refs?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What are his options?

I'd also ask what is the point of the NHLPA when it doesn't seem to truly represent or stand up for the players? Time and again, whether it's on safety issues, the work of DoPS, financial matters, or the Olympics, the PA seems at odds with what a lot of the players actually want and mostly in lockstep with the league itself. Feels a lot like a token union most of the time.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Dr Hook

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Neely wants the Bruins to 'shoot more', seemingly ignoring the fact that the team is already top 5 in the league for shots per game. They don't need to shoot more, they need to shoot more often from better areas and situations, and put in the hard, smart work that will create those opportunities. It would also help if they had more players who actually were good at shooting, but that drum's been banged here for years with no result and there's no short-term fix for that.

Last edited:

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I wonder if they are going to replace the 3/21 home game tickets with the 1/12 game. I have a feeling that is what they are going to do.
Hoping they inform the STH among us if we automatically get tickets for this game, guessing you are correct, the Habs game in March will get moved to Montreal.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
While I'm sure it probably won't happen, the league rules for a severe referee shortage:

Rule 31.11:

If, through misadventure or sickness, the Referees and Linesmen appointed are prevented from appearing, the League will make every attempt to find suitable replacement officials, otherwise, the Managers or Coaches of the two Clubs shall agree on Referee(s) and Linesman(men). If they are unable to agree, they shall appoint a player from each side who shall act as Referee and Linesman; the player of the home Club acting as Referee and the player of the visiting Club as Linesman.

If the regularly appointed officials appear during the progress of the game, they shall at once replace the temporary officials.

EBUR: What if the NHL Needs Emergency Back-Up Refs?

I can't stop laughing at "through misadventure" :biglaugh::biglaugh:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Our schedule is nuts.
Now the postponed Habs/Bruins game (Jan.12th)will be played in Boston rather than Montreal Jan.12.That being said, if you like watching the Bruins you get to see them 9 times in 15 days from January 1-15th.
They'll be playing 16 games in January alone rather than the 12-13 games a team generally plays a month.
That's whacked.

We may need 3 goalies:nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON - The National Hockey League has announced that the Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens game at TD Garden originally scheduled for March 21 will now be played on January 12.

Fans who have purchased tickets to the game on March 21 may use those tickets for January 12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad