Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Penguins 1-0 to sweep the ECF. End? No, the journey doesn't end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Letang's got **** for brains. I can't imagine he'll be getting much better with age. As soon as his skating starts to take even the slightest hit, he'll be nowhere near the player he is now.

This is what i have been thinking as well. Same goes with his athleticism. The max he should be extended to is 6 years.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So I was fishing and posting from my phone earlier, can someone please tell me what Crosby said that makes everyone so upset? Did he say, "we were the better team" or "we deserved to win?"

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
No question. But if they were to move Weber this summer due to financial concerns--and just financial concerns--which Bob McKenzie brought up as a possibility all the way back to when they matched the offer sheet, they've got an obvious replacement captain in Fisher, but will be absent a Norris-nominated #1 D.

Anybody other than us likely to be dangling one of those, let alone a younger one likely to make half as much per year as Weber?

NSH ownership group also responded they'd spend the money when they have to, and they did (in a very convincing manner, I have to add). I don't know why it seems everyone else other than NSH thinks they have terrible backing and/or finances from their ownership. I don't believe they have cash issues at all, it's just because they're not a traditional hockey place.

I understand Letang got named a Norris candidate, but, with all due respect, I don't see him even close to same category as Weber. Also Weber is now signed for over a decade with a decent cap hit for NSH after half of those signing bonuses have been paid. They also have no cap issues so his cap hit is moot.

If Weber was traded, I bet NSH would rather take some top#1-2 D with less name than Letang and a lot of additional pieces.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
If he manages to get his game to that level next season though (which is feasible) then do we cave and give in to his demands? I have a feeling that even if Letang is playing at the level we want him to we would be upset about giving him that kind of money.

Letang will not play without signing a new contract first. He's too valuable to not sign and risk losing for nothing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
They did exactly what NJ does. Slow the game down and used 1 puck pursuit and 4 NEAR their blue line. 2 on the wall 2 clogging the middle.

No way you can stretch... they trapped after Julien got on their ass in Period #2 - #3 of Game #1. After game #1 period #3 you can see how it all went bad for us.

Ram head into wall over and over and over

During his career, Bylsma must have been scratched every time one of the teams he was on played the Devils.

Yeah, the Devils did that on defense for years. And rarely had the same done to them on their own breakout because they knew that if you demonstrate a willingness to break the trap with speed, other options start opening up.

This is going to be an odd thing to link, considering how much of a pariah the guy is, but pay attention to what Scott Gomez used to do against 1-4s.

He broke them by just circling back before getting the puck and generating too much speed for flatfooted defenders to handle.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
So I was fishing and posting from my phone earlier, can someone please tell me what Crosby said that makes everyone so upset? Did he say, "we were the better team" or "we deserved to win?"

He just was saying how they deserved better. Thats really all.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
During his career, Bylsma must have been scratched every time one of the teams he was on played the Devils.

Yeah, the Devils did that on defense for years. And rarely had the same done to them on their own breakout because they knew that if you demonstrate a willingness to break the trap with speed, other options start opening up.

This is going to be an odd thing to link, considering how much of a pariah the guy is, but pay attention to what Scott Gomez used to do against 1-4s.

He broke them by just circling back before getting the puck and generating too much speed for flatfooted defenders to handle.

Geno did the same thing numerous times as well. Unfortunately the B's aren't as "flat footed" as we'd like to think. Especially when you got Chara's massive reach poking at the puck. Easier said than done...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

He didn't say anything bad. Just people doing what they usually do and putting everythingt he guy says under a microscope.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He just was saying how they deserved better. Thats really all.

How is that entitled? When you hit 11 posts or whatever it is, you can probably say you got no bounces. I thought the Penguins played really well for 7.5 periods out of 12 (half of game 1, 0 of game 2, all of games 3 and 4) I mean, they deserved to lose, but I definitely thought they were getting the short end of the bounces stick

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
How is that entitled? When you hit 11 posts or whatever it is, you can probably say you got no bounces. I thought the Penguins played really well for 7.5 periods out of 12 (half of game 1, 0 of game 2, all of games 3 and 4) I mean, they deserved to lose, but I definitely thought they were getting the short end of the bounces stick

I'll be the first to admit i was probably a little too harsh on that comment.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Geno did the same thing numerous times as well. Unfortunately the B's aren't as "flat footed" as we'd like to think. Especially when you got Chara's massive reach poking at the puck. Easier said than done...

Actually, Geno's line was the best at doing the above. The biggest issue was our Defense at the point. Just bad. There bumbling play led to numerous odd man counter attacks.

Also, we just kept shooting into those 4 guys over and over. We'd have maybe 1 guy vs. their 4. They keep rebound and then counter.

Basically, we just kept ramming our head into a brick wall and then got ate up on the counter. It's only a matter of time before our Defenders **** up badly.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
NSH ownership group also responded they'd spend the money when they have to, and they did (in a very convincing manner, I have to add). I don't know why it seems everyone else other than NSH thinks they have terrible backing and/or finances from their ownership. I don't believe they have cash issues at all, it's just because they're not a traditional hockey place.

I understand Letang got named a Norris candidate, but, with all due respect, I don't see him even close to same category as Weber. Also Weber is now signed for over a decade with a decent cap hit for NSH after half of those signing bonuses have been paid. They also have no cap issues so his cap hit is moot.

If Weber was traded, I bet NSH would rather take some top#1-2 D with less name than Letang and a lot of additional pieces.

Nashville was barely breaking even before the Flyers stuck them with that Weber deal. The entire reason it was structured as it was was to create losses on the ledger.

Nashville's relative lack of resources has little to do with popularity and a lot to do with less resources coming from corporate partners than your average run of the mill club.

$26.5 million saved is not an insignificant number for the Nashville Predators.

How many regular season wins do you think Weber is worth for the Preds over what Letang would generate? I'm guessing few.

When you're a business that hovers right around the line between losses and profits (which Nashville is, and the Penguins are not), whatever the difference between these two players, the first one isn't worth double the per-year cost.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I don't think it's a coincidence that Geno was just about the only guy generating chances.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Actually, Geno's line was the best at doing the above. The biggest issue was our Defense at the point. Just bad. There bumbling play led to numerous odd man counter attacks.

Also, we just kept shooting into those 4 guys over and over. We'd have maybe 1 guy vs. their 4. They keep rebound and then counter.

Basically, we just kept ramming our head into a brick wall and then got ate up on the counter. It's only a matter of time before our Defenders **** up badly.

The B's back checked VERY well. Like very VERY well. Every time we brought the puck up the ice at full speed they always seemed to have at least 4 black jerseys already back in their zone and on top of our puck carriers. They got tons of traffic in shooting lanes and even when we did get pucks to the net they completely boxed us out from getting to those rebounds. A true defensive clinic by the Bruins.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Here's the thing about the Penguins D, even if everyone played to the best of their ability, they are still sorely in need of some dynamic players.

Despres needed to play all year. Let him learn and get experience, etc... I don't know how close the kids in the A are, but I hope at least 1 of them can earn a top-6 spot next season. The back-end needs a youthful infusion.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Our D definitely needs a facelift, however I don't think moving Letang is the right place to start. I say start looking to move Orpik, as I honestly think the guy has run his course at this point. No amount of "free candy" can compensate for his usual idiocy and poor positional play. I would however really like to keep Murray for at least a couple more years.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Our D definitely needs a facelift, however I don't think moving Letang is the right place to start. I say start looking to move Orpik, as I honestly think the guy has run his course at this point. No amount of "free candy" can compensate for his usual idiocy and poor positional play. I would however really like to keep Murray for at least a couple more years.

I'm not in favor of trading Letang unless he's asking for money above his pay grade. I can stomach as high as 7. I can't do any more than that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

He said other than game #2 that they deserved a better fate because of their effort. He said yeah, there's him(Rask) but they didn't score on their opportunities via, posts, missed net shots ect...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He said other than game #2 that they deserved a better fate because of their effort. He said yeah, there's him(Rask) but they didn't score on their opportunities via, posts, missed net shots ect...

Game #2 still shouldn't be ignored. Easily one of the most painful games I've ever had to endure as a Pens fan. Never seen anything like it.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Here's the thing about the Penguins D, even if everyone played to the best of their ability, they are still sorely in need of some dynamic players.

Despres needed to play all year. Let him learn and get experience, etc... I don't know how close the kids in the A are, but I hope at least 1 of them can earn a top-6 spot next season. The back-end needs a youthful infusion.

We also need to PLAY DEFENSE.

They also need to be coached for PLAYOFF hockey. You can obstruct and hold, that's just the way it is. Not blaming the Bruins or the Refs, they call they game differently and we need our players to be coached to win...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We also need to PLAY DEFENSE.

They also need to be coached for PLAYOFF hockey. You can obstruct and hold, that's just the way it is. Not blaming the Bruins or the Refs, they call they game differently and we need our players to be coached to win...

5 of the 6 starting D could be considered defensive D...

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
I'm not in favor of trading Letang unless he's asking for money above his pay grade. I can stomach as high as 7. I can't do any more than that.

You would 7 million for his current play style?
It's been 4 years of this. The only thing he's upgraded in 4 years is points.

7 Million for a DEFENSEMEN who is mediocre at Defense?

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
5 of the 6 starting D could be considered defensive D...

I couldn't tell from the 20+ Bruins breakaways... So you think it's our D or our system? Iced... not being a smartass at all just wondering what your thoughts are on how are system seems to have so many breakdowns. It was bad to watch. Just wondering what people think.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I couldn't tell from the 20+ Bruins breakaways... So you think it's our D or our system? Iced... not being a smartass at all just wondering what your thoughts are on how are system seems to have so many breakdowns. It was bad to watch. Just wondering what people think.

I don't think systems are ever the problem, per se. Like Jiggy would tell you, those turnovers came from players making bad reads/decisions.

That said, I think it's a combination of players unable to execute the system and coaches unable to get through to the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad